General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Insurance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Insurance Questions

I was in an accident last night, nothing major, but I have a few questions about how insurance will handle some of this. I'm filing directly with the other drives ins.co., as it was clearly her fault.

The Damage: Passenger headlight, blinker and corner light are destroyed. Hood is bent, bumper (cover) has a hole and numerious scrapes and the passenger quarter panel is beat up.

- First of all: What KBB value is used by insurance companies to decide on totaling the car and the payout if total? Retail or Private Party sale?
- Second: Aftermarket parts: I have several aftermarket parts on the car (specifically the Supercharger). None of these parts are damaged. If they total the car, do I have the rights to those parts? Do they get them? Do the include that in the value of the car? Do I have to buy the salvaged car to get these parts back?

Its a 99SE with 113k miles on it. I get a KBB Private Party value of around $6k, but a retail value of around $8k. Depending on the companies policy, I can easily see the damage reaching 50% of that lower number...which is why I'm concerned.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM

When my 95 gxe got totaled I received the full retail value from the insurance. As far as the aftermarket parts, I think the insurance wants the car in its entirety, but they will not include the value of those parts in the car. Before the insurance hauled my gxe away I took a few parts such as the kenwood speakers, antenna mast and I forgot what else.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:48 PM
KH3 by popular demand

In a 99 with that little damage I wouldn't worry about it being totaled. I'd be surprised if damage is over $2000. I had waay worse damage in my 97 back in 02, total bill was around $3300. New hood, repaired 2 fenders, replaced bumper, all front lights, grill, windshield fluid resevior, and they repaired the radiator support, and a front end alignment.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 AM
ejj

Well, humor me. If the car were to be totatled, what happens to the aftermarket stuff?

I've had 3-panel accidents such as this come out to $3k easily. Now, because most likely the other drivers insurance will be paying for it, I'm pretty sure they won't total it...but it got me thinking...
Old 11-17-2005, 04:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ejj
Well, humor me. If the car were to be totatled, what happens to the aftermarket stuff?

I've had 3-panel accidents such as this come out to $3k easily. Now, because most likely the other drivers insurance will be paying for it, I'm pretty sure they won't total it...but it got me thinking...
They're not going to total it. I've had similar damage (once on the left and once on the right) and the my insurance just fixed the car. It did come out close to $3000 both times.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:26 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by deezo
They're not going to total it. I've had similar damage (once on the left and once on the right) and the my insurance just fixed the car. It did come out close to $3000 both times.
Like I said...humor me. I want to know what happens to aftermarket parts...even if just for future reference.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Like I said...humor me. I want to know what happens to aftermarket parts...even if just for future reference.
Not a damn thing. Insurance companies don't care about mods unless you add them to your policy prior to anything happening to the car.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by deezo
Not a damn thing. Insurance companies don't care about mods unless you add them to your policy prior to anything happening to the car.
So if they total the car do I get to take my stuff off...'cause at that point the car wouldn't run, or roll for that matter.

Do I HAVE to buy the salvage to get the parts back?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
So if they total the car do I get to take my stuff off...'cause at that point the car wouldn't run, or roll for that matter.

Do I HAVE to buy the salvage to get the parts back?
I don't believe so but I've never had to deal with that part before. I would think that anything that's not covered under your policy is fair game for you to remove. To me, it's the same as if you left your wallet in the car. It's yours so you should be able to take it without question.