General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

125k miles = s/c ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 10:09 PM

Hey Guys my maxi has roughly 125k miles, I've had no major mechancial probs though I need to do my drive shafts which poses no problems for me, it still drives beautifully, I want to know whether it's a good idea to super charge it ?
I'm keen on doing it, just worried it may turn into a money pit. I haven't done a compression test yet.
Old 06-03-2001, 11:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My thoughts on this...

Modding a car is a money pit. After the mods you've done, you're now thinking about supercharging it. After driving a sc'd car you'll realize you want upgraded brakes or a different exhaust or whatever.

In general, it's better to mod a car that has lower mileage. Having said that, the mileage on your car is only one factor. Consider your subjective opinion of the cars general condition. Be honest with yourself about any potential problems with the engine, trans, body, electrical, etc. Maybe have the car checked out by a dealer or trusted garage. If the car is generally solid, mileage alone should not deter you from sc'ing it. Also consider how much you like the car and how long you plan on keeping it. Some guys will mod the heck out of their cars only to part out the mods and sell the car a few months later. I've bought a few of my mods from guys like this.

I sc'd my car when it had 61,500 miles on it. It now has almost 96k on it. The weak link was the auto trans which died recently but you have a 5spd so you don't have to worry about it.

My opinion is that the 4th gen Max is pretty reliable and serves all the purposes I need a car for (commuting to work, family hauling, weekend shopping and schlepping, etc.) and still lets me have some fun on the side. I plan on keeping mine for another 4-6 years and/or another 100k miles. I found something I like and I'm sticking with it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me: jim.wengert@maxima.org

Jim
Old 06-04-2001, 07:09 PM

Good points Jim, I think I will have the car fully tested and make a decission based on the results, I've allowed in my budgetting for upgrading brakes, and a y-pipe, though my supercharger setup will be custom using the vortech V2, the cost of importing the stillen unit is far too expensive for me with the Australian dollar slump atm. Thanks for the input Jim.