General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Satellite Radio!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Satellite Radio!!

I recently purchased an 06 Maxima SE. I called the Stealership today to see how much it would cost to buy the satellite package and have it installed. Parts was going to cost me $292.00 and labor was going to be $220.00, over $500.00!! I remember when I intalled the satellite in my truck it was only $50 total after a rebate. I think this is a ripoff!! They said if I have it done at any other place that it voids my warranty on the head unit. I dont really want to have that to worry about since I have navigation also and they said that it was all included. The service installer was kind of a smart *** after I told him that I installed it in my truck for $50, he was like go ahead and void your warranty. A$$holes!!!! I just spent 30K+ on a car and they want to be like this.... I am going to check out some other dealerships tomorrow to see if the price changes.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had this installed at the stealership and if so how much was the charge. Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought my wife a Morano and they want the same amount. I bought it at Courtsey parts and put it in myself...it is plug and play and the antenna is magnetic just like the after market ones. I bet they will never tell that I installed it. It looks just like they did it. I compared it to anothe Morano that had sat installed.They don't even instal the ant in the same place on most of the car. (I looked at them at the dealer)
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 AM

I just bought XM... the receiver was... FREE $8 shsipping, and the service is $12.95? a month...

I got the "Roady 2" it's not "installed" but it's a unit the size of a cassette tape that requires a 12V plug in from the cig lighter, antenna (which I mounted inside w/o sticky tape even though they say mount it outside) and will either broadcast it's signal over a user selected radio frequency OR comes with a cassette adapter (sounds better)

No, this is not the satellite radio that an Infinity would have preinstalled, but SAME channels, almost the same quality, and a whole HELLUVA lot cheaper!!

The Roady 2 is typically around $30, install it yourself, and just pay for the monthly subscription charges. BEST thing I've bought in a loooong time.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree the price is high but that's about standard issue for a Stealership, $400-$500 for the satellite radio. The satellite radio kit they will be installing is the factory direct plug in kit so it is more expensive then a kit you can get at circuit city. You should be able to get the part you need online adn then install it yourself if you have any idea what your doing.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:22 PM

It is to my understanding they the factory satellite radio, when installed by a dealer is covered under the cars bumper to bumper warranty.

They may have you on the "not dealer installed" bit.

I think the dealership would have to prove that "your" install of the factory satellite radio caused the problem with the factory head unit before they could deny a warranty claim.

IMHO only.

Brad
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

That is true on both accounts. They have to prove the problem you are requesting service on was directly caused by a modification you did to the car, there is a consumer protection law stating that, i believe it's call the Magnuson-Ross Act but i could be wrong. However if something ever happened with the radio i would just uninstall the system if you did it yourself and play dumb, i've done it before.

Originally Posted by rentalman
It is to my understanding they the factory satellite radio, when installed by a dealer is covered under the cars bumper to bumper warranty.

They may have you on the "not dealer installed" bit.

I think the dealership would have to prove that "your" install of the factory satellite radio caused the problem with the factory head unit before they could deny a warranty claim.

IMHO only.

Brad
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 PM

I work for Best Buy and its way cheaper to buy one aftermarket then have it installed. Satellite Radio just became legal in Canada so I'm thinking I'll get one set up in my Max too.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
I work for Best Buy and its way cheaper to buy one aftermarket then have it installed. Satellite Radio just became legal in Canada so I'm thinking I'll get one set up in my Max too.
Yes but it is then something else attached to your dash, where this wil operate thru your factory radio. It is VERY EASY to do yourself. Buy at online at Courtsey Parts and then install it yourself.
Yes it will still be more expensive than aftermarket but worth it in my opinion.
Maybe $200-250 in parts.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:05 PM

I don't think we have any factory radio kits yet in Canada. Not at my store anyway...I'd definitely prefer that.