General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hate to ask but:4th gen to 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hate to ask but:4th gen to 5th Gen

Ok dangitt. Search

Ok, So I have done searches and have been looking forever. Looking to buy a either 4th gen or early 5th (not 5.5) gen maxima and am trying to find a side by side comparison of + and -'s. I was told to do a search and everythin I come up with seems to be a bias opinion or a vote on which you "like" best. --Probably 10,000+ of these. What I am looking for is a side by side comparision of the quality, durability, and driveability differences in the 97-99 and 00-01 models between suspension, interior, handling in the snow, fuel ratings, P/T(I think I read they have the same P/T.), etc.

Again sorry for I know, But I can't find it, and if it has been posted one hundred thousand times could someone please point me to a link??? ---Not to sound like an ***, I've sincerely tired myself out looking for un-biased factual differences. I too have seen the 10 million "which style looks better" threads.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Can I ask why you wouldn't want a newer, better car(5.5)?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 PM

whats wrong with a 96?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Again sorry for I know, But I can't find it, and if it has been posted one hundred thousand times could someone please point me to a link??? ---Not to sound like an ***, I've sincerely tired myself out looking for un-biased factual differences. I too have seen the 10 million "which style looks better" threads.
What did you expect? Everyone here owns either Gen and of course will have a biased opinion on what they own. There are a small handful of people here who've owned both or still have both, so maybe you should try to seek them out.

You can easily also look up specs and reviews on Edmunds and all those consumer guides online. Better yet, you should just go test drive em both and figure some things out for yourself.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM

yup edmund.com did it, it even gives J.D ratings, and if you link to it, you can even compare side by side.- has all the differences I was looking for and more. Fantastic website. I was a bit surprised the sizes increased slightly. I also went to cardomain.com to look at different interior pics. The 99 and previous model looked very well built attractive and spacious when comparing the two. Guess looks are deceiving.

Quote " Can I ask why you wouldn't want a newer, better car(5.5)?"
A few reasons. Insurance being a huge factor. I'm 24 have a child 3 traffic tickets, (including 2 major moving violations) and a wreckless driving in the last 2 1/2 years. yea, I know. I have a completely rebuilt 89 mustang for power, so I don't really need, or want, the additional motor. Also the 3.0's where put into everything. Being a mechanic myself I could find parts from just about anywhere, not to mention the slight increase in fuel consumption and the ever popular "ping" the 3.5's experience. Don't get me wrong their a hell of an engine, I'm just trying to be pratical is all.
Quote: "whats wrong with a 96?"
lol, nothing. I'd take a 96 if I could get it for the right price/mileage, just getting to be 10 years old is all, and that's pretty much the cut off point. I'm really not here to start a debate about 3.5 to 3.0, so no hijacking please.
I did notice the increase in HP ratings thru the years with the 3.0. Did they change the internals or just modify the induction/exhaust?
I suppose I could test drive them both, but then I'd have to deal with pushy salesmen, and anyone who does there shopping this time of year knows how that can be. (I always buy my cars in December/January.). Not to mention the fact I have primary custody of my child, so I would have to drag him along with me in my compact coupe in 30 degree weather or spend my one Saturday a month I get myself test driving vehicles rather than catching up on fallen behind chores.
So I guess my only remaining questions are for the people who have riden in both.
Is the interior quality and feel for lack of better words any better/worse in either model and what about noise and ride quality.
Edit: Also is there a common rust point to look for? I.E.- Most Hondas/Acuras begin rusting on the rear fender well on the rear side of the tires. Basically a "hot spot" to check for bondo.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Also how about traction quality in the snow? I currently drive a Ford (Mazda) and would get stuck on my street with 2 inches of snow with snow tires and its fwd. (To light)
Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 AM

I would imagine that the 5th gen will have more luxurious etc. The power difference between the 4th and 5th gen Maxima with the VQ30DE was due solely to a variable intake manifold (referred to commonly by 4th gen guys as the 00VI) allowing it to make decent torque much higher in the rev range--I believe it makes peak power at redline. There was also a negligable difference in the profile of one of the cams (exhaust I think) and the exhaust system, but as I said, it would account for ~2hp.

5th gen should have more creature comforts than the 4th gen, I don't think there's much of a "quality" difference between the two. But then again, I haven't driven a 5th gen. Try seeking out the people who own both, they'll have something to say, and if there's a bias towards either, then there's a reason for it. =)

Good luck and welcome to the Maxima community...
Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 AM

Also how about traction quality in the snow? I currently drive a Ford (Mazda) and would get stuck on my street with 2 inches of snow with snow tires and its fwd. (To light)
I think both are decent in the snow with some good tires and a good driver. If snow is that big of an issue where you live, get dedicated snow tires.

IMO, the problem with asking other people how good the car is in the snow is that snow driving is as much driver as it is the car. An experienced driver will tell ya that the car is decent in the snow whilst someone with no concept of snow driving will say it sucks.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
Can I ask why you wouldn't want a newer, better car(5.5)?
Is it better because you allways have to put newer/better oil in it?

02-03 are the least reliable of the 95-03 cars.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Is it better because you allways have to put newer/better oil in it?

02-03 are the least reliable of the 95-03 cars.

I'll let ya know how much oil I drain today and then we'll see...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 AM

Well, heres what i learned so far- (correct me if im wrong on any of this, just trying to help) i havent heard as many guys complain about the MAF as much(if it doesnt have one then yes, i look like an a$$) The MAF for the 00-01 is what, 80 bucks? and for the 02-03 is like 400? I think you'd enjoy either car, its just up to you what kind of creature comforts you want; I have an 01 SE 5 speed, loaded and my friend has a 97 GXE with 143,000 and its smooth as butter. Not even kidding, he floors it and you can't even hear the engine, although its been very well taken care of it drives like its brand new. it doesnt shake or make weird noises and it rides really nice.

From a power standpoint i took him by about a car from a 60-115 roll, with my VIAS not working(only cause im stick and he is auto)

I think my seats are a little more comfortable, and i like the toys, although the 4th gen's you can still get heated seats, sunroof, bose stereo, homelink- they dont come lightly equipped.

Now, for the handling, his 97 takes bumps better but mine is better around corners, he has 15" steelies and i have the 17" alloys, that option started in 00- lower profile tires= more road feel but better handling, and worse traction in the snow. I think the 4th gen SE/GLE has 215/60/16 which is a good compromise, but you can do whatever you want with wheel/tire packages after you get one. Well best of luck in finding one, either gen. are great cars
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys. I'm waiting on two phone calls back. There isn't any maximas on any of the lots locally, and the 2 that are at the local lots are priced over KBB private party by 3-4 thousand. -They won't even budge below KBB's dealer "retail" starting point for negotiations. I have found 2 im interested online a few hundred miles away. One is 2k with 55,000 miles asking 10,700 the other is a 98 w/ 43000 miles asking 8,800. I have called both and offered them both KBB value. (9000 and 6800-I think)We'll see who returns my call first.

Edit: the one just called back with the 2k - won't go below 10,200, period.

Now I understand why all the 4th gen vs. 5th gen threads. I do like my luxerious quiet solid cabin ride, and at the same time do like comfortable seats- I remember test driving a 03 Altima back when I bought my Denali and remember from the second I got in all I could think about was the flimsy, very cheaply built tray between the seats and extremely underpowered/ overworked engine revving hard just to accelerate, the interior felt VERY flimsy and cheap.-Not to start a debate.
DO the 2k Maxima's have the same center console as the altimas?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

well, i've driven both, and the 5th gen does seem more refined, but the 4th gen feels more solid and planted on the road. The engines are exactly the same,other than the intake manifold and a slightly less agressive exhaust cam on the 4th gen. I say in a 4th gen, you have the most room to grow. You can keep the VQ30, get the DE-K, or swap in a 3.5. You also have a smaller price to pay for better performance.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM

We leased a 99 SE Auto for 2 years and got sick of the lease so we bit the bullet and bought the 2k SE Auto. Definitely the same family but different feels. The main reason we dumped the 99 was LACK of ABS (I wanted that for the Mrs daily driver) and traction control (Again for the Mrs when roads got crappy). That being said.....

99... very nice car and slightly smaller than the 2k. Handled gread and did fine in the snow with the stock 16" SE wheels.

2k is heavier and larger. ABS, TCS and our car has the optional side airbags on the front seats. The VQ30DE-K is has nice torque and upper power is HUGE (bottom end is soft for me as I grew up on 383/440 Chrylser big blocks and most recently owned a V8 Dakota and 4.0 Jeep Cherokee).

Overall:
Thinks I like better about the 2k
- interior (nice for long roadtrips)
- SAFETY (ABS is standard,TCS and side air bags opt)

Thinks I like about the 99:
- 16" wheels (gave better ride than the 17's on the 2kSE)
- Slightly smaller
- Less road noise (quieter on road trips)

If I were to get another Maxima, I would get a 2k/2k1 again. Any ?'s let me know.

Travis
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM

4th gen only because it is cheaper. IMO all 95-01's are just as good. The 5th gen guys will tell you the 00-01's are faster, which is completely false. I am biased toward 4th gens from a performance standpoint because they are smaller, lighter, and have more potential at the end of the day (even though all 95-01's pull the same times stock), but since you already have an 89 notch for "go", I would say all 95-01's are just as good from a comfort/daily driver/year 'round application. A well maintained 95-01 will easily pass 200k miles and you'll never see the end of that motor.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE

(bottom end is soft for me as I grew up on 383/440 Chrylser big blocks and most recently owned a V8 Dakota and 4.0 Jeep Cherokee).

If I were to get another Maxima, I would get a 2k/2k1 again. Any ?'s let me know.

Travis
Oh, Now I know this site is going to be fun. I get to go chrysler bashing. Hey you know what Dodge stands for?? Drips oil drops grease everywhere.. Oh yea I know "Found on Road Dead", or "Fix or Repair Daily" BMW have some of my favs. Bought My Wife, Break My Window. Now the 4.0's a good motor, but chevy's the only one who makes a good stroked 383, and a ford 460 will knock the ***** off a 440 anyday of the week. Anything you say differently is .. heh.
I left a third message for a 97 "pepel Beige" is what he called it. Said it's a gold with Black leather interior ABS, sunroof, spoiler, whole package. 5 large. Think I will see if that guy with the 98 with 43000 calls back. Otherwise Monday morning it's smooth sailing to Chicago I go. (If it hasn't sold it by then) Said the only repair he has ever done was the starter just last year. No coil packs, no maf, and no 02's. Said the tires will be due to be changed next year since he's had them for just over 4 years- So I know he drives it good.
BTW=Yea the 2k does sound like a nice vehicle, but "free and clear" with liability sounds just as nice. The earlybird gets the worm, so whoever comes to a good price first gets the sale. - I thank all of you for your helpfull advice.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by JClaw
4th gen only because it is cheaper. IMO all 95-01's are just as good. The 5th gen guys will tell you the 00-01's are faster, which is completely false. I am biased toward 4th gens from a performance standpoint because they are smaller, lighter, and have more potential at the end of the day (even though all 95-01's pull the same times stock), but since you already have an 89 notch for "go", I would say all 95-01's are just as good from a comfort/daily driver/year 'round application. A well maintained 95-01 will easily pass 200k miles and you'll never see the end of that motor.
x100
Old 12-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Oh, Now I know this site is going to be fun. I get to go chrysler bashing. Hey you know what Dodge stands for?? Drips oil drops grease everywhere.. Oh yea I know "Found on Road Dead", or "Fix or Repair Daily" BMW have some of my favs. Bought My Wife, Break My Window. Now the 4.0's a good motor, but chevy's the only one who makes a good stroked 383, and a ford 460 will knock the ***** off a 440 anyday of the week. Anything you say differently is .. heh.

BTW=Yea the 2k does sound like a nice vehicle, but "free and clear" with liability sounds just as nice. The earlybird gets the worm, so whoever comes to a good price first gets the sale. - I thank all of you for your helpfull advice.
Say what you like. Any brand has a lemon.... The point I was trying to make is that a pushrod long stroke engine will produce more torque than the VQ. That being said, the VQ was great torque and a fine engine 200k and we are happy with the purchase. If you feel the need to flame away then so be it.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Yea, I really do appreciate the help. You and the others here have helped clear up alot of foggy issues I had. No offense on the jokes, all in good fun.