General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

You guys think a S/C Nos'd MAx is quick...check this out!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 10:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Here's a Icon twin turbo SS LS1 Camaro going full tilt, well past 170mph. If that's not the sound of power, I don't know what is. This recording should be used for all movie car chases from here on out. American tuners still do it best 600+rwhp and 700rwtq. $28K for the car and $6000 for the turbos.

http://www.velocityracing.com/camaro...eed180plus.mpg

Dave
Old 06-05-2001, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree... if all you want is speed, then you can't beat American cars.

i.e. last week at the track:

this guy got a stock 98' mustang gt - $18,000
supercharger + intercooler - $3,500 installed

his first run ever = 12.4
Old 06-05-2001, 11:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, and if you want handling and braking, then go for the Lingenfelter twin turbo LS1 Vette. $45K for the Vette (new) and then $40K for the engine rebuild, turbos, brakes, and wheels. This setup has been tested to run 215mph and to run 10.3s@138mph on 15" slicks, still spinning a lot and on pump gas no less. I can't think of another street car that offers this kind of overall performance. The car drives completely stock until you hammer it. Sure, there a few street Supras out there that can run 10s, but they're like a light...either on or off. Driveability of these cars is questionable due to the single turbo setup and they don't run 10s without the help of some high octane and a cool day. Go see how long that 10 second Supra would last in 1 hour rush hour traffic

Dave
Old 06-05-2001, 11:13 AM

Jeez, that's some wicked ***** that cars got. Curious, he seem to spend a whole lot of time in red line dring his run. Does this mod make his red-line higher, and the tach just wasn't updated??

DW
Old 06-05-2001, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Sure, there a few street Supras out there that can run 10s, but they're like a light...either on or off. Driveability of these cars is questionable due to the single turbo setup and they don't run 10s without the help of some high octane and a cool day. Go see how long that 10 second Supra would last in 1 hour rush hour traffic
They would probably last the same amount of time as any TT LS1 would. There's plenty of 10 second Supras that you can drive every day..
Old 06-05-2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike

They would probably last the same amount of time as any TT LS1 would. There's plenty of 10 second Supras that you can drive every day..

Yeah its kinda cool, but I think its carless driving at those speeds with one hand, I like to drive fast but without both hands you have little control over the car. I understand that he is shifting but after the shift that right hand should be right back on the steering wheel, I am not sating that I am a perfect driver, but at those speeds you can't take any chances.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:27 PM

Check out this month's Car and driver, Lingenfelter has a 427 small block vette. It is about as fast as the TT but more driveable. And just for mike, I'm sure they can slap the TT package on the 427 block. Now thats power.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:37 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

yea but with $85k, alot of cars can be made to go crazy fast. Didnt motortrend test that Lingenfelter car and some hopped up Vipers awhile ago? I rmemeber the tests for the Vipers both broke down on the test runs. Forget which issue. That doesnt say too much about their reliablity. that Twinturbo Vette is crazy but dont expect that to be very super reliable either. There are alot of daily driver Supras going crazy amounts of power, and keep in mind alot of them are on STOCK internals. Even Nissan's Z or Skyline internals arent that beefed up....
Old 06-05-2001, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Didnt motortrend test that Lingenfelter car and some hopped up Vipers awhile ago? I rmemeber the tests for the Vipers both broke down on the test runs.
Yeah. Two different Hennessy Vipers, two different problems. One was a broken oil line which lit the car on fire, and the other was a leak in a coolant hose.

BTW, Hojo: Why only the 427? They should have stuck a TT 502 in there
Old 06-05-2001, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
BTW, Hojo: Why only the 427? They should have stuck a TT 502 in there
It's the LS1 small block, not a big block. They put the longest stroker crank in it that would fit and bored it out as much as they could. Makes 500 hp, the TT LS1 makes 550 but they said that it was almost undiveable, they didn't even use 2nd gear to get the fastest acceleration times.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:04 PM

How come towards the end of the video when the speedo is at like 160+ it just all of a sudden goes straight to like 140, same thing with the RPMs. I watched really slow and when its at 170 it is kinda blurry but then right when it goes to 140 or so it gets much clearer, and its not like you can see the needle going down, its one frame at 170, next frame at 140.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:08 PM

I think he just applied the brakes pretty hard and pushed in the clutch.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I like this one... http://24.159.181.25/Race%20Videos/D...240Z-full.mpeg
Old 06-05-2001, 01:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The LS1 is a amazingly strong motor. Lingenfelter builds some pretty good stuff, but it's not a rocket science to get a 347 cu" LS1 to perform. Much of what Lingenfelter does is to keep the car reliable.

Like I said before, there are Supras running around that can run 10s, but it takes BIG MONEY to get a Supra to go that fast. 12s are relatively easy in the Supra, after that it takes lots of money. IMO, a single turbo Supra is an undriveable mess. You could make one easily driveable, but most anyone who does a single turbo, wants max performance. That means high boost which means LOTS of lag and no torque until spool up. I would much rather drive a car that already has a ton of power off boost, then becomes a beast at WOT. A single turbo Supra is a slug off the line unless you've got a line lock and slicks or an automatic. A single turbo Supra is made for one thing, drag racing. Like many witnessed this weekend at the Nissan autocross in KC, the SR0DET swap 240s couldn't keep up with the NA 240s because the turbos were spooling on and off through out the course making for initial bog then tail happy fun. The Supra 3.0 can take lots of abuse, but the trannies can't. It's not a bullet proof setup. Strong car? yes. Unbreakable? Hardly. I've already watched 2 Supras breakdown at KCIR.

Dave
Old 06-05-2001, 01:45 PM

The LS1 is a amazingly strong motor. Lingenfelter builds some pretty good stuff, but it's not a rocket science to get a 347 cu" LS1 to perform. Much of what Lingenfelter does is to keep the car reliable.

Like I said before, there are Supras running around that can run 10s, but it takes BIG MONEY to get a Supra to go that fast. 12s are relatively easy in the Supra, after that it takes lots of money. IMO, a single turbo Supra is an undriveable mess. You could make one easily driveable, but most anyone who does a single turbo, wants max performance. That means high boost which means LOTS of lag and no torque until spool up. I would much rather drive a car that already has a ton of power off boost, then becomes a beast at WOT. A single turbo Supra is a slug off the line unless you've got a line lock and slicks or an automatic. A single turbo Supra is made for one thing, drag racing. Like many witnessed this weekend at the Nissan autocross in KC, the SR0DET swap 240s couldn't keep up with the NA 240s because the turbos were spooling on and off through out the course making for initial bog then tail happy fun. The Supra 3.0 can take lots of abuse, but the trannies can't. It's not a bullet proof setup. Strong car? yes. Unbreakable? Hardly. I've already watched 2 Supras breakdown at KCIR.

Dave
If you want a fast/cheap car that can't handle, look no further than an old muscle car with a big V8. My friend built a 10 second car with very little money. It's a 70 chevelle with a 502 and a 100 shot of NOS. That's all he has done to it. That beast is so scary to be a passenger in, SIMPLY RIDICULOUS!

G
Old 06-05-2001, 03:56 PM

Here's a Icon twin turbo SS LS1 Camaro going full tilt, well past 170mph. If that's not the sound of power, I don't know what is. This recording should be used for all movie car chases from here on out. American tuners still do it best 600+rwhp and 700rwtq. $28K for the car and $6000 for the turbos.

http://www.velocityracing.com/camaro...eed180plus.mpg

Dave

You mean my SC'd Maxima isn't the fastest car ever?

Jim
Old 06-05-2001, 05:05 PM

Anyone know what road that was?
Old 06-05-2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Anyone know what road that was?
OOOOOO I do!
190 George Bush freeway.
Only reason Why I know is because I take this road everyday.
sx7r look at the end of the video.
you cna see the central split.

kick ***!
Maybe i will go out there and do the same
Old 06-05-2001, 05:51 PM

yup, that's 190 - thats exactly where i do my topspeed runs. only he keeps going after i top out at 155mph. i met the guy at the starbucks meet last monday right after he did that run. it's an twin turbo orange SS. he's running 5.5lbs of boost... it's badass.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by yongjun

OOOOOO I do!
190 George Bush freeway.
Only reason Why I know is because I take this road everyday.
sx7r look at the end of the video.
you cna see the central split.

kick ***!
Maybe i will go out there and do the same

I would've guessed Texas. Nice long, straigtaways with no police and little traffic.

Jim
Old 06-05-2001, 07:21 PM

I wonder what the red truck was thinking ?

He must have glanced in his rear view and been like, 'what the hell is this coming up on me'

that engine was SCREAMING.

nice
Old 06-05-2001, 08:20 PM

welp

A. Kinda foolish to do that on a traveled highway with traffic around, also foolish with one hand .. but I suppose you're dead either way if sumthin happens

B. Is that English he's speaking at the end there?
Old 06-05-2001, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
I like this one... http://24.159.181.25/Race%20Videos/D...240Z-full.mpeg

i dont understand it. why is all the rubber burning so cool? i think people look like idiots when they do that. i mean the guy on the bike at the end.. i mean, what is that????

Old 06-05-2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by sx7r
yup, that's 190 - thats exactly where i do my topspeed runs. only he keeps going after i top out at 155mph. i met the guy at the starbucks meet last monday right after he did that run. it's an twin turbo orange SS. he's running 5.5lbs of boost... it's badass.
Is it me or does all the kick *** stuff happen in Texas
Old 06-05-2001, 09:42 PM

Insanity

All I can say is, that is Fast. This clown is going to hurt someone.
Also, I'm so glad to have sold my COBRA. Domestic is fun for a while, but build quality and useable power is more fun. I'm, slowing my slef down with a muchslower car.
I can remenber when 150mph was a blast, now; it's ludacrous(sp)
Pray they stay alive long enough to enjoy a peacefull life.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:33 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The rest of that guy's web site is pretty cool too. He's got a bunch more vids and stuff.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:11 AM

Yep, and if you want handling and braking, then go for the Lingenfelter twin turbo LS1 Vette. $45K for the Vette (new) and then $40K for the engine rebuild, turbos, brakes, and wheels. This setup has been tested to run 215mph and to run 10.3s@138mph on 15" slicks, still spinning a lot and on pump gas no less. I can't think of another street car that offers this kind of overall performance. The car drives completely stock until you hammer it. Sure, there a few street Supras out there that can run 10s, but they're like a light...either on or off. Driveability of these cars is questionable due to the single turbo setup and they don't run 10s without the help of some high octane and a cool day. Go see how long that 10 second Supra would last in 1 hour rush hour traffic

Dave
Ha ha, funny thing about those TT vettes.. They look pretty much stock until you get your *** handed to you.. Too bad the Calloway Sledgehammer Vette never saw mass production.. 254 mph.. not bad.. not bad at all..
Old 06-06-2001, 09:56 AM

Dave
Videos dope, my roomys gotta see it, he wants to twin turbo his z28.

The Lingenfelter Vette is badass and i would love to have one. I like his upgrades, i even have the catalog from lingenfelter. But his prices are HIGH!!! You get what you pay for...but still.

Although you dont need lingenfelter to be fast in a c5 http://home.austin.rr.com/turbolexus...SW-9-9-144.mpg

You forget that not ALL single turbo supras are single purpose (strip only or top end only). It's all in the turbo you put on. You don't even need to go single to make it fast. You could make a supra run 10's (if you can drive it, which most guys with the money cant), handle just as good if not better and still be daily drivable. Especially for over $40k. $40k is a lot of money and could go really far in making a serious MKIV supra that runs on pump gas.
Old 06-10-2001, 01:44 PM

What is the big deal with Supras? I drove one once, it wasn't that fast. Although, I dont think it was a turbo. It actually reminded me of driving a Camaro. I can understand why they cancelled it. Toyota does better with sedans and small sport coupes. I love our MR2 spyder.
Old 06-10-2001, 07:12 PM

Camaro ZL1....you ain't got nothin

Just think of a TT 572 (camaro ZL1 concept)! That would be faster than anything
Old 06-11-2001, 02:17 AM

170+ mph? aren't factory speedos a little off when reaching that end of the gauge? i distinctly remember Motor Trend & CarandDriver mag both doin' top end tests & the speedos never match the radar gun.
i'm not saying it's not fast, but put it on a circle track like at the TX Motor Speedway, he lives near there.

is this the same SS TT that just got wrecked awhile ago? i don't think it's the same guy here, but better be careful.

http://pub24.ezboard.com/ftexasracin...cID=2161.topic