General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VIN Etching... Theft deterrent? Insurance discount?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 AM

VIN Etching... Theft deterrent? Insurance discount?

Hey,
I stumbled upon this some time ago and wanted to know if anybody had this done. Basically, according to several websites I read, if you etch your VIN # into the glass surfaces in your car (windows, windshield?) not only is it proven to prevent theft to a certain extent but also you could get up to a 15% insurance discount from your insurance company. Has anybody had this done? If so, did you get an insurance discount? How much? What insurance company?

Also...
According to a recent report released by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), most vehicles are a target however the top stolen vehicles in the nation are as follows:

1. Honda Accord
2. Toyota Camry
3. Chevrolet Full-Size Pickup (C-10, S-10)
4. Jeep SUV (Cherokee/Grand Cherokee)
5. Honda Civic (and CRX)
6. Oldsmobile Cutlass/Supreme/Ciera
7. Ford Full-Size Pickup (F-series)
8. Ford Mustang
9. Dodge Caravan
10. Toyota Corolla
>>11. Nissan Maxima<<
You can do a search on google for VIN etching or just check out this website: http://www.vinguard.org for more information.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:19 PM

some insurance companies do it for free. i hide my vin to deter thiefs from getting vin cut keys for my car
Old 12-23-2005, 04:42 PM

i wouldent do that its like giveing your personal info but only its your vin + thats just asking to get your car stolen
Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 PM

well in NY your VIN is on the reg. and on the max VERY VISABLE my dealer etched all for free..

Originally Posted by red-line-racer
i wouldent do that its like giveing your personal info but only its your vin + thats just asking to get your car stolen
Old 12-23-2005, 05:56 PM

No insurance discount here in SC. Mine came etched, however, it isn't my vin, it is a code number. When you call the 800 number below the code, you will have to verify that you are you, then they will tell you that it belongs to your max.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:48 AM

I'd rather have a code than a vin. Some dealers will make you a key without showing any paperwork. My vin is blocked off. I've heard plenty of stories of Joe Blows getting vin off the dash and getting a key from a dealer without a problem.

My dad is paranoid. He got an alarm, immobilizer, lo jack, and a club on the streering wheel.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My vin is etched on all the glass in my car. I thought that was part of the Max's stock security system in SE's? I didn't pay extra for it and it's not even listed on the window sticker, but it's on the car....
Old 12-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
I'd rather have a code than a vin. Some dealers will make you a key without showing any paperwork. My vin is blocked off. I've heard plenty of stories of Joe Blows getting vin off the dash and getting a key from a dealer without a problem.

My dad is paranoid. He got an alarm, immobilizer, lo jack, and a club on the streering wheel.
Damn, all I have is a locked garage, insurance and

Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

state police did mine for free. insurance gives me a discount.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i got mine etched too, it came with the car. it does lower insurance, i dont know exactly how much but it does.