General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VQ35!!! Made by Renault??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 AM
MaximaDriver

VQ35!!! Made by Renault??

I dont know if that topic was here allready or not. But i have heard from some people that VQ35 is made by Renault (France) not by Nissan.
I dont know what to think obout it. maybe you guys know??
Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Bacon Lover

I would doubt it simply because of the fact that the VQ has been around since long before Renault ever came into the picture with Nissan. I would also doubt it because most VQ35-powered cars are for the U.S. market, since we're the ones that like big displacement and all that stuff.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:15 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Unfortnuately, I think most of the VQ35 parts are from Mexico and assembled at the Nissan plant in Tennessee.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Larrio
Unfortnuately, I think most of the VQ35 parts are from Mexico and assembled at the Nissan plant in Tennessee.
Another reason the VQ30 is better
Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 AM
MaximaDriver

so there is no more nissans MADE IN JAPAN on our streets??
Old 01-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Custom Molding King!

Correct, 2004 the Nisan Maxima became an american car.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:25 AM

I don't care who makes it, it's a kick-@ss engine.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

Name names man.

Why would Renault take over an engine design that Nissan developed back in 1994? If Renault actually DOES make this engine, how come they don't seem to be using in their own Renault cars?????? The logic is low in this thread

Originally Posted by WielkiWaac
I dont know if that topic was here allready or not. But i have heard from some people that VQ35 is made by Renault (France) not by Nissan.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 AM

they could make parts of it. some toyota engines are made by yamaha. and its even on the blocks.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 AM

Jeff92SE, Renault is testing a version of the VQ35DE with NEO Direct Injection for a little euro hot-hatch that makes 239kW (320bhp) and 360Nm (265ft-lbs) and is RWD...WOW!

But other than that I think you're spot on bro.

No way this is a FRENCH engine! PAH! It's too ugly to be French and far too utiliarian - all go - little show, how French is that?

If only we had the a re-bored GTR engine (RB30DETT) in our Maxes with a 6-speed...dreams...
Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Driving is the next best thing

The body of the 5th gen was designed by Renault, but the engine is designed by Nissan in Japan.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 PM

don't know about maximas but the Nissan Almeras here (kind of like sentras in the US) have Renault engines. but it's only Diesel engines; gas engines are still Nissan designed.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Nissan 350z.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Bacon Lover

Nissan 350z.
That's ABOUT it.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mmm...vq35de with direct injection and neo vvl and keep the VTC as well, would be great....
Old 01-10-2006, 12:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've seen VQ's with the "Samsung" label on it in place where the Nissan 3000 goes, in this case it was 2500 (VQ25DE) ..

Logic > you

http://www.renault.com/default.html?...samsung_p1.htm
Samsun = renault
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
That's ABOUT it.
The entire Infiniti line is made in Japan except for the QX56 right
Old 01-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Is it not also correct that the Z has the same engine we have, just tuned differently?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

If it's NEO direct injection, it's probably a Nissan product already. They have developed their NEO tech not Renault. Nissan has NEO in other engines like the VQ30 already.

Originally Posted by PHAT6
Jeff92SE, Renault is testing a version of the VQ35DE with NEO Direct Injection for a little euro hot-hatch that makes 239kW (320bhp) and 360Nm (265ft-lbs) and is RWD...WOW!

But other than that I think you're spot on bro.

No way this is a FRENCH engine! PAH! It's too ugly to be French and far too utiliarian - all go - little show, how French is that?

If only we had the a re-bored GTR engine (RB30DETT) in our Maxes with a 6-speed...dreams...
Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 PM
SomePsychoGuy

NEO = Nissan Environmentally Oriented; has nothing to do with performance, and all to do with emissions. It is not directly related to DI, NCVTS, or VVL.

The VQ30DD is already in the Nissan Skyline 300GT (US Infiniti G35) and puts out like 260hp or something. There are many other VQXXDD's in other cars. I expect Nissan to put out direct injection in the Z and G very soon to compete with the IS350 since DI has been used in Nissan cars in Japan for years.

VVL was only implemented in the SR series engine and will not like be put into a VQ ever due to Nissan's fondness for low end torque and a more balanced powerband. I am sure the complexity, cost, and copying honda also doesn't appeal to them.

Keep dreaming. RB series is no longer made and will never fit in a FWD platform.

The Samsung SM5, SM7 and several other cars are all based on Nissan Maximas. This has been going on long before Renault came along.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:15 PM
VQ Wizard

Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) wants the world to believe that lie. He alone started it because of his prejudice of the French and the Japanese.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:19 PM
VQ Wizard

As stated above;
350Z, the entire Infiniti line (except the QX56)

But no one mentioned the Murano.

But why ask this question as if it's a bad thing? Our economy is far better off producing the cars we buy.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by SPiG
VVL was only implemented in the SR series engine and will not like be put into a VQ ever due to Nissan's fondness for low end torque and a more balanced powerband. I am sure the complexity, cost, and copying honda also doesn't appeal to them.
I fail to see the logic in the second part. With VVL you actually have more of everything at your disposal. However it certainly does increase the complexity and cost.

As for copying, who cares? The internal combustion engine has been copied, as well as multivalves and dual overhead cams. But at this late stage I would say they should skip the Honda technology and copy the BMW Valvetronic which makes everything else seem primative.

Keep dreaming. RB series is no longer made and will never fit in a FWD platform.
Yeah right! And why would we want to move backward in technology anyway? I suppose some people just need to see mountains of seasoning and proof to understand that a certain product has been killed because a newer/better product is now on the market.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:21 PM

If the engine was French made how would anyone ever get the car to move forward and not reverse?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
As stated above;
350Z, the entire Infiniti line (except the QX56)

But no one mentioned the Murano.

But why ask this question as if it's a bad thing? Our economy is far better off producing the cars we buy.
The Murano is still made in Japan, I thought after the 1st year of prouction they where gonna transfer it to the US.

As far as Made in the US or Japan I thought the cars where just assembled here, but quality does not have anything to do with the plant if it's built in US or foreign, it has everything to do with the Company designing the car, this is another lengthy subject
Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
quality does not have anything to do with the plant if it's built in US or foreign, it has everything to do with the Company designing the car, this is another lengthy subject
Umm, I totally disagree. You can have the best design ever, but if you have a crappy assembly plant with crappy assemblers and crappy parts, you will end up with crap.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So Nissan isn't what it used to be, that's the price we pay for them not going the way of the dodo in the late 90's. At least they kept their best engine.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Umm, I totally disagree. You can have the best design ever, but if you have a crappy assembly plant with crappy assemblers and crappy parts, you will end up with crap.
most designs are usually top notch, I've never seen a new car and been like wow what a POS but in the end if they used cheaper material what can you expect.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
So Nissan isn't what it used to be, that's the price we pay for them not going the way of the dodo in the late 90's. At least they kept their best engine.
all companies have their ups and downs, Nissan was going down but now they are headed up, I would have not bought an 06 Maxima if I felt the Company was not making excellent vehicles, who would have thought GM would fall from the top
Old 01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well VWs seem to be reliable except for the ones actually assembled in Mexico.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 PM

still don't understand why people relate nissan and renault with being bad, and I've heard the Nissan is french I would never buy 1 so many times
Old 01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by STARR
The Murano is still made in Japan,

I think that is what he was trying to say.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 PM

I think when my two current 4th gens die their natural deaths, I might switch badges to another Japanese car maker...don't really like the looks and direction Nissan is taking now - even the new GTR looks...well, not as good as the R34 GTR ever did, though it is a lot more powerful stock. (About time!)

The Honda Accord Euro and V6 are nice looking cars - powerful too, but lack any sort of low-down torque. You can't win.

Maybe get a high-stalled LS2-powered Holden HSV R8 Clubsport...haha...if I could afford one and the accompanying fuel bills. the government and their ridiculously high excise duties on petrol in this country...

OT sorry.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 PM

I don't know if anyone saw, but there was a thread about something of this back a while ago. Back when they were producing the 1st 4th gens. nissan was going bankrupt, so they needed money and france gave them a good amount or did france buy half of nissan. well w/e the story is it goes something like that.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by PHAT6
Are you talking about this?

Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 PM

No, I don't think so mate - I was reading "New Zealand AUTOCAR" and there was a photo at the Paris Autoshow last year of a finished model complete with the 320bhp VQ35DD engine inside. It kinda looked like a larger version of the Peugeot 306 but was a Renault.

I don't have the mag anymore sorry - I'll try and contact the magazine directly and ask about it.

SMX95 - yeah, true that Nissan was in trouble. But the main Japanese car makers of the early 1990's (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru and Mitsubishi) wasted a HUGE amount of money competing with each other to produce reasonable low-cost supercar like road cars (i.e. Mistubishi GTO / R32-34 GTR / EVO's / STI's / Supra TT's / 300ZX's) and Nissan in particular spent a lot of money of R&D that other companies didn't bother with. Mitsubishi is a prime example - they came out with several cars in the 90's that were new technology heavy without the relevant amount of testing and development and the result was notorsiously unreliable cars like the VR4 Galants, GTO's and even the early EVO's.

Nissan always came out with well finished cars but since they were smaller than the others and hadn't eked out a niche like Subaru has (as the cheaper Audi of the world) they couldn't survive after the Japanese Supercar Wars finished around 1997. Mitsi was snapped up by Daimler-Chrysler and Nissan by Renault.

Shame - but the Nissan badge still lives on so I'm not too worried.

PS. sorry for the long post guys.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 PM

DOH!

Scratch that first sentence - yeah, that's it bro - sorry looked straight at the second photo. BUNNY BRAIN
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Name names man.

Why would Renault take over an engine design that Nissan developed back in 1994? If Renault actually DOES make this engine, how come they don't seem to be using in their own Renault cars?????? The logic is low in this thread
They would be unlikely to use it in Renaults anyhow. The Eurpean Union countries have very strict emissions standards in some cases, and companies and consumers pay HEFTY taxes and penalties on cars with engines over a certain size. A good example of this going even farther is Sweden - ever wonder why there are so many small-displacement turbo cars? Because of these very regulations, a 1.9L turbo actually skirts the "penalties" that a 2.0 liter N/A engine would incur (not actual numbers, just an example).

a 3.5 liter engine could (depending on country it is marketed in) incur BIG-TIME penalties and usage taxes, making it not sell well. I'm not sure what France's standards are specifically - they are more strict the farther north you go in Europe, generally.

That, and gas costs ALOT more in Europe than here...the only people who can afford the gas for a car getting 18-20mpg are "the rich" - and they buy BMW, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, etc - not japanese cars.

all that said, I have no idea what Renault's relationship with the VQ35 is
Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Wild for Width

Renault and Nissan came together because of CEO's Carlos Ghosn's relationship with them. Renaults sole purpose in the venture was to expand it's market beyond France (where some 75-80 percent of it's cars are sold).

He also utilized many supplier relations that Renault had and that he had made in his time at Michelin and broke many Japanese business traditions by going with non-Japanese suppliers.

People can trash France and Renault all they want but I am thankful that Carlos Ghosn dared to shake outdated Japanese methods and save a legendary brand.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Fr33way
...I am thankful that Carlos Ghosn dared to shake outdated Japanese methods and save a legendary brand.

Ghosn has really turned Nissan around. Nissan's stock has rocketed along with their sales and profits due to proper cost control. Under Ghosn, Nissan has recaptured the No. 2 spot in Japan which they lost in 1990 to Honda. I bet having a gaijin run thier company really p!sses them off. On the other hand they are probably just happy Nissan has done a 180 under his leadership.

Quick Reply: VQ35!!! Made by Renault??