General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To All Maxima Factory Alarm Gurus..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 05:26 PM

To All Maxima Factory Alarm Gurus..........

Hello All Members.

I have posted a thread in the 4th Gen forum, but figured since the same factory anti-theft system is used throughout the Nissan model line, that someone would have some troubleshooting suggestions. You can read my entire thread, which unfortunately continues to be updated by me, entitled "Problems with 4th gen factory alarm system."

To make a long story short, my factory alarm just went bezerk last weekend and I checked the connections and the grounds in the trunk because all of the other entry points were fine. I believe I had rain water enter the trunk via a leaking spoiler mounting stud and/or power antennae motor opening. The result was either shorting out my keyless unit or trunk lock switch, but I haven't been able to figure out which one. BTW, my car is a 98 SE.

My question involves the arming and disarming of the alarm. When I bought the car, and up until last weekend, when I armed the system , the parking lights would blink twice and disarming it would result in one blink. I never paid any attention to the dash security light and have read too many suggestions about what that light is supposed to do. Will get to the dash light in a moment.

Basically, when I disarm the system, I don't get any parking lights flash. In addition, when I disable the alarm system by pulling the fuse, I still don't get the parking lights to flash when unlocking the doors (although the doors all unlock and the interior light goes on fine). I don't know if the keyless unit is shorted out or a bad trunk lock switch is causing the malfunction. I located a keyless unit and trunk switch from a 98 GLE parts car and will hopefully have them by the end of the week to test them out.

Now for the dash security light. I watched the light when I armed and disarmed the system. Before arming, the light flashed steady and then solid when armed. It stayed solid red until about 15-30 secs when it started to flash steady again. Is this normal? From my research, I thought a steady flash indicated a breach in the system. such as a door ajar or trunk popped. On my car, I believe the alarm kept going off on its own because one of the switches shorted out, making the system think the trunk was breached. I just don't know if replacing my keyless unit and trunk lock switch (and reprogramming the remotes) will give me my system working properly. The most bizzare thing is that after pulling the fuse for the alarm, the dash security light still worked, when it didn't when I pulled the fuse last weekend.......

Now, for all the electronic and alarm gurus out there -- WTF is going on with my car? Has anyone heard of the factory alarm shorting out and requiring replacing the keyless box and trunk switches? Some members say there's a TSB about water entering the trunk and shorting out the trunk switches. I am still at a loss as to the cause until I receive my replacement parts and test them out.

ANY INFO/SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

You can even call on my cell (312) 259-9342. i need to figure this out so I can move on to my other maintenance!!

Thanks,

Ted, Chicago
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 AM

uh Ted, just wondering ... you are probably a legit ownner here. But as another owner - I don't want it out publicly - the how to disable a alarm system. (somewhat like the HID issues on the 5.5) I am sure someone can help you thru a pm or your cell.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 AM

Thanks -- didn't even think of that when I posted; just trying to get my system working again. It's too bad that there are too many unscrupulous people on the net who will use DIY info to take someone's personal items or worse, their car.

PMs and phone calls work just as well.

Ted, Chicago