General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

help! my drain plug is stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 09:27 PM

I tried to change oil todya in the maxima(first time) I usually bring it to some pretty big shop or nissan. I removed the piece under the right wheel and then I used a 9 1/6 wrench and I couldn't turn the plug... I also tried losening the top part where you add oil in first. I'm 5"10 200lb and I really used all my strenghts to pull it but it wont' come out. I'm sure I turned it the right way clockwise. Did the shop used some kind of machine or something to tighten the drain plug?? The plug was as hard as a rock. Also I have 4.4 liter of castrol syntec oil, should I pure all of them in or just 4 liter?
Old 06-09-2001, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by costcowholesale
I tried to change oil todya in the maxima(first time) I usually bring it to some pretty big shop or nissan. I removed the piece under the right wheel and then I used a 9 1/6 wrench and I couldn't turn the plug... I also tried losening the top part where you add oil in first. I'm 5"10 200lb and I really used all my strenghts to pull it but it wont' come out. I'm sure I turned it the right way clockwise. Did the shop used some kind of machine or something to tighten the drain plug?? The plug was as hard as a rock. Also I have 4.4 liter of castrol syntec oil, should I pure all of them in or just 4 liter?
Haha, you meen counter clock wise right? Clockwise tightens. Remember righty tighty lefty loosie? Allright maybe you just wrote it wrong. If you have been turning your drain plug the right direction{Counter clockwise=loosen} and the bolt won't come off then get a little breaker bar, a 18inch or bigger bar will do the trick. My drain bolt just takes a real hard push and it comes right off, remember to put some clean oil on the bolts threads when you retighten it,the same goes for your oil filter.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Haha, you meen counter clock wise right? Clockwise tightens. Remember righty tighty lefty loosie? Allright maybe you just wrote it wrong. If you have been turning your drain plug the right direction{Counter clockwise=loosen} and the bolt won't come off then get a little breaker bar, a 18inch or bigger bar will do the trick. My drain bolt just takes a real hard push and it comes right off, remember to put some clean oil on the bolts threads when you retighten it,the same goes for your oil filter.
oops I do mean counter clockwise, guess I forgot which way teh clock turns and what exactly is a breaker bar?
Old 06-09-2001, 10:05 PM

oops I do mean counter clockwise, guess I forgot which way teh clock turns and what exactly is a breaker bar?
A breaker bar is any steel{or sturdy} bar that is holow. A good examply of a excelant breaker bar is a pole from a fence. If you have a home depot around you will find a nice selection of breaker bars, they are cheap to. I have a whole selection of breaker bars at my house, my favorite is my 2 ft holow steel bar
Old 06-09-2001, 10:08 PM

A breaker bar is any steel{or sturdy} bar that is holow. A good examply of a excelant breaker bar is a pole from a fence. If you have a home depot around you will find a nice selection of breaker bars, they are cheap to. I have a whole selection of breaker bars at my house, my favorite is my 2 ft holow steel bar
but how can I fit that into the wheelwell without jacking the car up? since I don't have jack stands
Old 06-09-2001, 10:16 PM

but how can I fit that into the wheelwell without jacking the car up? since I don't have jack stands
Wheelwell? What? You are trying to remove your oil drain plug, correct? The bolt on your oil pan? Ok, this has nothing to do with your wheelwell. Your wrench will attach to the bolt and be aiming paralel with your car. So what you do is stick the wrench on the bolt and then attach the bar and push. BTW your confusing me here, please clarify.
Old 06-09-2001, 10:21 PM

Wheelwell? What? You are trying to remove your oil drain plug, correct? The bolt on your oil pan? Ok, this has nothing to do with your wheelwell. Your wrench will attach to the bolt and be aiming paralel with your car. So what you do is stick the wrench on the bolt and then attach the bar and push. BTW your confusing me here, please clarify.
I guess I have a small wrench, when I tried to turn the plug, my wrench is inside wheel gap, and it is not really parallel to the car, its kinda on an angle. I have like 5 more inchs of gap at the most at the end of the wrench so I don't think I can add a breaker bar
Old 06-09-2001, 10:34 PM

I guess I have a small wrench, when I tried to turn the plug, my wrench is inside wheel gap, and it is not really parallel to the car, its kinda on an angle. I have like 5 more inchs of gap at the most at the end of the wrench so I don't think I can add a breaker bar
Don't go threw your wheelwell gap, just lie down under the front of your car and remove the bolt. If you want to remove your oil filter too then you will probably want to jack your car up, as specialy since this is your first. BTW you have a jack in trunk, so use it! Warning: I would not personaly lie underneath my car unless I also had a Jack stand or sinder blocks under the car. Don't make me drive up to Canada and teach you! LOL
Old 06-10-2001, 06:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't go threw your wheelwell gap,
I have done it both ways and personally find that going through the wheel well is the easiest way. You don't have to lie on your back and you can more easily access the oil filter. Still, that doesn't prohibit you from using a breaker bar for good leverage/torque, since the oil plug is underneath the car, and at a slight angle towards the wheel. I think for you the hard part is that the plug is in an awkward position for you to really give it a hard effort--a longer "stick" would certainly help. I would also spray the oil plug with WD-40 or liquid wrench and then wait a few minutes for it to penetrate. If you mangle your plug in the process of getting it out (ie. stripped it) you can easily get a new one at your dealer, along with some proper drain plug washers (copper thingies).
Old 06-10-2001, 10:08 AM

thanks guys I'll try the WD-40 thing with a small breaker bar. emax: Do u want to come and teach me how to install a stillen supercharger?? j/k