General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SC Mzx vs. MKIV stock Supra TT, WRX and supercharger S2K (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 11:33 PM

Tonight I went up to the Supra meet in Las Colinas. Now that I have the new clutch and flywheel in and enough break-in miles, I was hopeing the supercharged S2K would show up for a race. About a month ago, he wanted to race me. I was hesitant because of the bad clutch. Andi was trying to set me up to run a stock Supra twin turbo for a while too. When we got there, there were just a few Supras there. They were all BPU cars. Jordon showed up in his new WRX.

Since we weren't really doing anything; Jordon, Andi and I took off to do some racing off the line. Andi was in his 424 rwhp Supra and Jordon was in his WRX. We did several races off the line. The first race, I spun badly. Jordon and Andi could hear it as they left me. I started pulling back up in 3rd gear. The second race, they only pulled about a car length on me. Then I missed second and watched them run away. I just coasted and then put it back in gear. The 3rd race, they got a couple car lengths on me, immediately in 3rd I started catching up. Andi was granny shifting, so he didn't just leave us. Then Jordon said I could get a kill from a roll-on. We did one at 45 and of course I left him. Bottom line, I need traction off the line; but it isn't going to happen without drag radials.

I talked to Jordon for a while and he told what happened with the race with the GTP I posted earlier. The thing was, he was watching the turn lane signal and expecting the light to change after the turn light changed. This didn't happen when it went green. He was at 700 rpms and that was what happened. He did beat the GTP after that. Sorry for any flames from the original post.

When we got back, the guy with the supercharged S2000 showed up. It has a Comptech kit running 6 psi with an exhaust. He said in the past that he did 299 hp at the wheels. He just put in a new transmission, a new HD clutch, a lightweight flywheel and a Comptech differential. I thought he would be a good race since he always talks about how he beats LS1s so easily. So, I got him to go out and do some rolls. We did 3 rolls on the highway. He was up ahead of me on the right. I wanted to do the rolls in second, but he was going to fast. So we did them in 3rd at 70. This put me at the bottom on my shift point in third. In the first 2 rolls, he jumped me. I immediately got on it and stayed with him, but didn't pull. The 3rd roll I was finally right next to him and I did the 3 honks. We left dead even. He pulled a few inches in 3rd and I jumped up in my shift to 4th. At 115 when I let off, I was about a half car length back. Even though he won, he looked upset after the race. He was definitely surprised a FWD family sedan could keep up with him when LS1 F-bodies could not.

Then Andi's friend arrived with his stock black Supra twin turbo. This car is 100% stock. We went out to do some rolls on side streets. The first roll was at 4th. I was pretty low in 2nd at the start. He did the honks. I immediatley got a little jump as he built boost. Then we were pretty even as his boost built. As I got up to about 5500 rpms, I started to pull away. We did another one and the same thing happened. Then he wanted to do one at a light. I decided to do it. When we were staged, he must having been hitting the gas and the brake, because before it turned he was holding spinning his tires. I could see the tire smoke next ot me. He spun badly off the line. I partial throttled and pulled a little in first. Then I started leaving him in second. The last roll on we did was at 50. He did the 3 honks. Then put me at about 5000 rpms where I really start to pull hard. I started leaving him immediatly. With speed shifts in the 3rd and 4th, we came over a hill. The extra momentum from the hill allowed enough extra acceleration that the limiter didn't hit until I got to 125. At 120 mph, I was 3 car lengths ahead. We had 2 chase cars that were filled with people that witnessed it.

Bottom line, is yes the car is fast. The clutch and flywheel were a huge help. The clutch is easily worth a couple tenths. The car now either spins or scratches the tires when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd at 45 mph and scratches on 3rd gear shifts. If I could ever get traction in first, I could easily run low 13's. Maybe I'll get a set of drag radials...hmm...also keep in mind that I have a couple more mods to go before I'm done. BTW, Thomas are you ready to run again next Saturday?
Old 06-09-2001, 11:48 PM

wow, wut mods do u have in ur car? SC correct?
Old 06-09-2001, 11:51 PM

SC++, too many mods to mention. About 300 fwhp(best guess) with the last mods. Dynoed 284.3 hp at the wheels before the last mods.

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
wow, wut mods do u have in ur car? SC correct?
Old 06-09-2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Loren00Miata
SC++, too many mods to mention. About 300 fwhp(best guess) with the last mods. Dynoed 284.3 hp at the wheels before the last mods.

yumm..

how about torque steer?
Old 06-10-2001, 12:01 AM

Surprisingly, it has neve been a problem. I even power on in sweapers. Just traction in 1st gear in minimal even under partial throttle.

yumm..

how about torque steer?
Old 06-10-2001, 03:47 AM

Good races, I plan to put in a supercharger later on this month or next. I am running 60 shot of NOS right know plan to upgrade to 80 shotin a month also. I have an automatic with the same setup as Don Cooper of Houston.... I am going to put in a 300zx fuel pump, injectors and other stuff and run supercharger and NOS at the same time.....I want to run you, when I finish the setup, what do you say...
De Max
Old 06-10-2001, 06:00 AM

Loren all you have to do now is race Thomas again
Old 06-10-2001, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BTW, Thomas are you ready to run again next Saturday?
i'm ready. i was asleep when you called me, so i got your message this morning. those were some nice races though. give me a call next week when you're going out there so we can meet up.
Old 06-10-2001, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by sx7r

i'm ready. i was asleep when you called me, so i got your message this morning. those were some nice races though. give me a call next week when you're going out there so we can meet up.
I'll run both of ya.
Let me have a 3 car length advantage.
we'll see what's up
Old 06-10-2001, 09:11 AM

Sure, I'll run you. Keep in mind a few things. First, Don runs a lot more NOS than that. I think you will be shocked when you see the new setup he is working on. Look at rejetting to a 100 shot instead of 80. That is what Thomas runs. Just either add an in-line pump or go to a bigger pump in the tank when you re-jet. Don is running more than that. Second, you are going to have to compromise with trying to do everything you want to. To run the big injectors, you must have a reprogrammed ECU for them or you will be rich all the time and the car won't run right. Mitch at Courtesy can tell you about this one. He runs a stock ECU with big injectors on his turbo Civic and it doesn't run right as a result. Second, you are going to have to run way too much fuel when your off the NOS to make it work correctly when your on it. It basically means you will have poor performance when the NOS is not running because you will be way too rich. You can't run an FMU and jets at the same time. They cancel each other out since both ramp fuel pressure.

Then only options are to ditch the factory ECU and go to a programmable system like a TEC II. This would allow you to set it up anyway you want. You could run just a little rich and use a small dry system at low rpms just to get more low end punch before the SC builds boost. Basically it comes down to us not having cars like a Supra or 300ZX turbos that are made to run boost from the start, so we are more limited in what we can do with it.

JP, Thomas: it looks like we have a 3-up race. I'll see if I can get Andi to do chase. We'll need someone pretty fast follow. Vicky could ride with him and record it. That way there is no extra weight advantage too.

Originally posted by De Max

Good races, I plan to put in a supercharger later on this month or next. I am running 60 shot of NOS right know plan to upgrade to 80 shotin a month also. I have an automatic with the same setup as Don Cooper of Houston.... I am going to put in a 300zx fuel pump, injectors and other stuff and run supercharger and NOS at the same time.....I want to run you, when I finish the setup, what do you say...
De Max
Old 06-10-2001, 09:25 AM

Loren Check your PM
Old 06-10-2001, 10:33 AM

I must say Loren, and I think you'll agree... that was one of the best race nights ever... and not even that many peopled showed up!

Let me tell you guys, there is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING like seeing Toyota's arguably finest engineered car EVER, a sports car, with twin turbos, get left in the dust by a family sedan of a Maxima.

If you want to model your car after any car on this board, supercharger-wise, Loren's is the car! But then you'd have to figure out what's in the secret sauce :0).

Congratulations Loren, it was a pleasure watching those races!

-Kaleb
Old 06-10-2001, 11:37 AM

JP, Thomas: it looks like we have a 3-up race. I'll see if I can get Andi to do chase. We'll need someone pretty fast follow. Vicky could ride with him and record it. That way there is no extra weight advantage too.

3? who's the third person? De Max? when's his setup going to be done?
Old 06-10-2001, 12:37 PM

YJ, but we have to let him start first.

Old 06-10-2001, 12:42 PM

Good job on hanging with those cars Loren. I never knew a WRX could hang with you, or was it b/c you just spun?

Hmm... i cnt wait to see Thomas vs Loren in a rematch. I need some new Thomas videos.
Old 06-10-2001, 02:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

Off the line, all the way through the quarter mile, the WRX was well ahead.

Originally posted by Synki
Good job on hanging with those cars Loren. I never knew a WRX could hang with you, or was it b/c you just spun?

Hmm... i cnt wait to see Thomas vs Loren in a rematch. I need some new Thomas videos.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:01 PM

Your sig pic is toooooo sweet, Andi
Old 06-10-2001, 03:03 PM

Bring it loren and thomas
You fear my automagic
This saturday right?
will bring my g/f for luck
Old 06-10-2001, 03:16 PM

YJ, but we have to let him start first.

LoL, alright, will do.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:18 PM

asdf

LoL, alright, will do.

Damn I'm bored.
where are you?
Old 06-10-2001, 08:28 PM

Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

Originally posted by Andi
Off the line, all the way through the quarter mile, the WRX was well ahead.

Was that WRX stock? I think it would suck if a WRX can hang or even beat a supercharged Maxima. Hm...I guess those WRXs are for real.
Old 06-10-2001, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

He killed me off the line badly. I was running him down in 3rd. From a roll, I immediately pulled away. It is simply FWD with a lot of power vs. AWD with less power. The results are as you would expect. The only chance I would have with keeping up with him off the line would be drag radials or slicks.

Originally posted by Cumalot

Was that WRX stock? I think it would suck if a WRX can hang or even beat a supercharged Maxima. Hm...I guess those WRXs are for real.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

He killed me off the line badly. I was running him down in 3rd. From a roll, I immediately pulled away. It is simply FWD with a lot of power vs. AWD with less power. The results are as you would expect. The only chance I would have with keeping up with him off the line would be drag radials or slicks.

My point was you never caught him before his 3-4 upshift (which is right at a quarter mile). Whereas I'd leave you and catch him by the time he'd be doing ~65mph. ;-)

Congrats against the Supra though. Next time if I can stick around Jordan or I will drive the Supra and we'll see if you can still stay ahead.

Andi
Old 06-10-2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
Your sig pic is toooooo sweet, Andi
Thanks =)
Old 06-10-2001, 09:45 PM
is invisible

Nice racing, Loren...

I'll have to reconsider my next car now, but I do have to ask: was the Supra auto or 5-spd..they come in auto also, correct?
Old 06-10-2001, 10:56 PM

Re: Nice racing, Loren...

The stock Supra that Loren raced was an auto, and the guy had just bought it and isn't very good at driving it. Loren told me he was trying to brake boost off the line before it turned green but his rear tires started turning and he ended up starting the race in a standing burnout.

We'll try to back up this race with another, with a known healthy stock Supra with a good driver, in the near future. I think Loren might still win, but not like he pulled on last night's Supra.

Andi
Old 06-10-2001, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: Nice racing, Loren...

The stock Supra that Loren raced was an auto, and the guy had just bought it and isn't very good at driving it. Loren told me he was trying to brake boost off the line before it turned green but his rear tires started turning and he ended up starting the race in a standing burnout.

We'll try to back up this race with another, with a known healthy stock Supra with a good driver, in the near future. I think Loren might still win, but not like he pulled on last night's Supra.

Andi

Hey andi I want to race him.
Set that up for me too
Old 06-11-2001, 02:47 AM

I am the third person. I think I am going to have to talk to a lot of people to get the correct setup the first time because I don't want something to go wrong later on. I plan to put in a supercharger plus run about 80-100 shot NOS, with the right setup it should work just fine and I have to to take care of my care more often, like change my fluids every two weeks or three depending on how I run my car. I have all the transmission work done, just need the hp to back it up....I plan to get very good tires like Yokohama AVS for the traction issue.... I plan to finish the supercharger and everything else in a month or two.....I should get my job bonus about that time to pay everything off.....After that I will just wait on the waiting list to start upgrading the 2002 Maxima........
De Max
Old 06-11-2001, 06:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

We actually never ran that far. Run 1, I spun bad. I knew I was out of it, so I completely lifted and backed off. When I saw you guys still going, I jumped back on it to catch up. Run 2 I missed second and just coasted. After a couple seconds, I put it back in gear. I was actually pretty frustrated at that one, because it was a decent launch. I again got back on it just to catch up because you guys were still on it. Run 3, we hit the turns in second and I had to partial throttle when getting into the turns. I saw Jordon was still on it, so I moved over for safety and got back on it in the second turn. You may have run a 1/4, but I did not.

If you want to go for a full 1/4 mile, try to figure that distance on a street out there(find a marker) and we'll do it again on saturday.

My point was you never caught him before his 3-4 upshift (which is right at a quarter mile). Whereas I'd leave you and catch him by the time he'd be doing ~65mph. ;-)

Congrats against the Supra though. Next time if I can stick around Jordan or I will drive the Supra and we'll see if you can still stay ahead.

Andi
Old 06-11-2001, 06:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

That's right Loren don't back down Take him this sat.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

We actually never ran that far. Run 1, I spun bad. I knew I was out of it, so I completely lifted and backed off. When I saw you guys still going, I jumped back on it to catch up. Run 2 I missed second and just coasted. After a couple seconds, I put it back in gear. I was actually pretty frustrated at that one, because it was a decent launch. I again got back on it just to catch up because you guys were still on it. Run 3, we hit the turns in second and I had to partial throttle when getting into the turns. I saw Jordon was still on it, so I moved over for safety and got back on it in the second turn. You may have run a 1/4, but I did not.

If you want to go for a full 1/4 mile, try to figure that distance on a street out there(find a marker) and we'll do it again on saturday.

Loren, no offense but please try not to make excuses... your car is fast but street tires vs. street tires, his is quicker in the 1/4 mile. I remember AT LEAST two runs where after the launch I granny shifted and went part throttle to stay next to you as you tried to catch up to Jordan (notice the spelling BTW), and we didn't catch him before he let off, and he never once let off before the top of 3rd -- a couple times he went a good bit into 4th. And the quarter mile is RIGHT AT his 3-4 upshift.

I'm sure he'd be happy to back that up one of these weekends when he gets a chance to come out again. My money is also on his dad's stock Supra in the quarter mile as well.

PS thanks for the magazine.

Regards,
Andi
Old 06-11-2001, 09:02 PM
The missing moderator

Hey Andi and Loren...

there's a blown stang in the DFW area that is looking to race some SC S2K... seems like a nice guy though, not a trash talking type... wanna race him? I could help you guys hook up. hehe

-Shing
Old 06-11-2001, 09:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

Loren, no offense but please try not to make excuses... your car is fast but street tires vs. street tires, his is quicker in the 1/4 mile. I remember AT LEAST two runs where after the launch I granny shifted and went part throttle to stay next to you as you tried to catch up to Jordan (notice the spelling BTW), and we didn't catch him before he let off, and he never once let off before the top of 3rd -- a couple times he went a good bit into 4th. And the quarter mile is RIGHT AT his 3-4 upshift.

I'm sure he'd be happy to back that up one of these weekends when he gets a chance to come out again. My money is also on his dad's stock Supra in the quarter mile as well.

PS thanks for the magazine.

Regards,
Andi
hey, in ur sig, were u in a s turn or about to go into oversteer?
Old 06-11-2001, 09:07 PM
The missing moderator

http://24.181.119.62/corral_dyno.JPG

plot of the blown stnag
Old 06-11-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Shingles

plot of the blown stnag
Is dat all?
give me about 5 car lenghts with that guy
I'd race him
Old 06-12-2001, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The WRX didn't just "hang" with Loren... ;-)

hey, in ur sig, were u in a s turn or about to go into oversteer?
No S-turn.. I was just going into a single turn with MAJOR oversteer because my rear tires were hot.. heh.. you can tell which way the car is turning (it's leaning hard to the left meaning it's a right turn), yet the wheels are turned to the left (bigtime countersteer into the slide)..

That's why I love that pic..

Andi
Old 06-12-2001, 10:43 AM

Dang, you guys in TX have all the fun. I wish I coulda been a fly on the wall at those races...or at least in one of the chase cars.

One thing I always wonder about, since I'm broke, is cost. Is the old saying that 'speed is a question of money' really true? How much is a new twin-turbo Supra? A new WRX? How much have Loren and Andi spent on their cars to make them as fast as they are?

I know that this is a hard thing to measure, especially for guys who do alot of modding work themselves or have friends that work in shops to give them a deal but I think it is a question worth asking.

Jim
Old 06-12-2001, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by JJW95SC
Dang, you guys in TX have all the fun. I wish I coulda been a fly on the wall at those races...or at least in one of the chase cars.

One thing I always wonder about, since I'm broke, is cost. Is the old saying that 'speed is a question of money' really true? How much is a new twin-turbo Supra? A new WRX? How much have Loren and Andi spent on their cars to make them as fast as they are?

I know that this is a hard thing to measure, especially for guys who do alot of modding work themselves or have friends that work in shops to give them a deal but I think it is a question worth asking.

Jim
As long as you're talking about speed in a straight line, it most certainly is mostly a question of money. Now road racing, that's a whole nother story..

A new twin turbo supra is priceless, since you can't get one. The WRX is a bargain at 24K fully loaded.

And yes, we do have a lot of fun here in Texas. But, the weather is here. Wish it were beautiful.

Andi
Old 06-12-2001, 05:39 PM

Looks pretty strong. I am 11 for 12 against Mustang 5.0Ls, GT and Cobras. The loss was Rock's turbo 95' Cobra that was only putting down 360 hp to the wheels at the time. Unless he can't drive, he'll easily take me. I suspect the same for the SC S2000 since we were so close. But, he looks like he would be a much better matchup for Andi.

I checked around and the car you are talking about is a Vortech supercharged and aftercooled(intercooled) 99' GT with a ton of mods. The 99' kit doesn't use an FMU. instead it uses big injectors with a reprogrammed ECU. It looks like they did a pretty poor job setting the computer up. With better fuel tuning, he would see a huge improvement from 3500+.

BTW, I think I know how you can track down the S2K I raced. I believe he goes by Red_Devil on the S2000 board. It is a red car. He has yellow painted brake calipers, a veilside front spoiler, Neuspeed springs and a very cool stainless big tip rear exhaust. I think it is a Comptech exhaust. He just got a set of 18" SSR GT1 rims on the car. He shows up at the meets Saturday Nights in Las Colinas regularly.

Originally posted by Shingles

plot of the blown stnag
Old 06-12-2001, 06:21 PM
The missing moderator

Yup, I think that's him... I just wanted to see what he would say... but he hasn't posted anything yet. Someone said that he raced a boosted max and beat 3 times... but since I know the details, that's kinda deceptive.

I'm thinking about boosting the S2K... but the only real option is the comptech right now and it's got issues. I think I am going to wait it out a little to see what's going on... they are sorting out some issues, one of which is the tyical boosted honda problems of the MAP seeing boost...

-Shing

Looks pretty strong. I am 11 for 12 against Mustang 5.0Ls, GT and Cobras. The loss was Rock's turbo 95' Cobra that was only putting down 360 hp to the wheels at the time. Unless he can't drive, he'll easily take me. I suspect the same for the SC S2000 since we were so close. But, he looks like he would be a much better matchup for Andi.

I checked around and the car you are talking about is a Vortech supercharged and aftercooled(intercooled) 99' GT with a ton of mods. The 99' kit doesn't use an FMU. instead it uses big injectors with a reprogrammed ECU. It looks like they did a pretty poor job setting the computer up. With better fuel tuning, he would see a huge improvement from 3500+.

BTW, I think I know how you can track down the S2K I raced. I believe he goes by Red_Devil on the S2000 board. It is a red car. He has yellow painted brake calipers, a veilside front spoiler, Neuspeed springs and a very cool stainless big tip rear exhaust. I think it is a Comptech exhaust. He just got a set of 18" SSR GT1 rims on the car. He shows up at the meets Saturday Nights in Las Colinas regularly.

Quick Reply: SC Mzx vs. MKIV stock Supra TT, WRX and supercharger S2K (long)