General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Forgot to mention I got smoked by a 300ZX 2+2

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 07:40 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, I got smoked by a 300 ZX 2+2. Of course this isn't any normal 2+2. He happens to have a TT swap and quite few other things done. Those that were at the KC Nissan meet will know what car I'm talking about. I was cruising on Saturday night and I see a green 300ZX take off up in front of me. I catch up and we come to a stop light and make a right onto a nice long empty road. He waits for me and I leave it in 2nd. As I roll up beside him, I realize this in the TT swap 300ZX. I know I going to get smoked, but I didn't know how badly. At 40mph we both punch it, we are neck and neck to 60mph and then it's like I was standing still...literally. He hits 3rd and chirps them and he is putting some serious distance on me. It was so bad that I let off by 80mph and he had pulled over 3 cars on me from 60-80mph. It takes some serious hp to develop a lead like that. All I was left to do was stare at pillar guages and taillights fading into the night. When he let off, the exhaust burped a couple flames. Supposedly this 300ZX is pushing 400rwhp. I believe it.

Dave
Old 06-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow, burped flames? You really got smoked.. Hehe.. =)

Originally posted by Dave B
Yep, I got smoked by a 300 ZX 2+2. Of course this isn't any normal 2+2. He happens to have a TT swap and quite few other things done. Those that were at the KC Nissan meet will know what car I'm talking about. I was cruising on Saturday night and I see a green 300ZX take off up in front of me. I catch up and we come to a stop light and make a right onto a nice long empty road. He waits for me and I leave it in 2nd. As I roll up beside him, I realize this in the TT swap 300ZX. I know I going to get smoked, but I didn't know how badly. At 40mph we both punch it, we are neck and neck to 60mph and then it's like I was standing still...literally. He hits 3rd and chirps them and he is putting some serious distance on me. It was so bad that I let off by 80mph and he had pulled over 3 cars on me from 60-80mph. It takes some serious hp to develop a lead like that. All I was left to do was stare at pillar guages and taillights fading into the night. When he let off, the exhaust burped a couple flames. Supposedly this 300ZX is pushing 400rwhp. I believe it.

Dave
Old 06-11-2001, 04:32 PM

thats some serious HP

hey at least you got smoked by another NISSAN, just one faster than yours, not necessarily better .
Old 06-11-2001, 08:06 PM

Ouch
Old 06-11-2001, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
-------------------------------------------------------------------
i dont know what mods you got on your car but id hope if it was stock that you wouldnt expect to win on any z.. they have been 200hp minimum since 84.. the vg30dett is 300hp stock and for about 1k you can hit 400 with just computer exaust and intake... so yeah i belive you got smoked they got old technology but they are fast

dan
Old 06-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

This was my first encounter with the last generation 300ZX and of course it had to be one of the quickest ones in the midwest. I don't think I'd sweat a NA 300ZX nor a mostly stock 84-89 turbo.

The 300ZX could be such a sleeper if the guy would put the stock wheels on and get rid of the souped up exhaust. The exhaust was really strange and I'm still trying to figure out how he did it. From behind, the mufflers are mounted Mustang-style (ie under the seats) with two huge 3" pipes coming out and angling off the rear. I can only assume he put the mufflers where the cats used to be.

Dave
Old 06-11-2001, 11:31 PM

A VE or VQ 5sp. is as fast if not faster than a NA Z32. I test drove both a TT and an NA when I was thinking about another car. I drove the NA around, mostly impressed with the dash, seating position and handling, but when I got back into my car, I swear my car was faster. The TT had a bad clutch, so it wasn't faster either. When oh when will I get to drive a car that is faster than mine?? The fastest car to date I have driven was a MKIII turbo and that was back ewhen I had my acura so I really didn't know what power was anyways.
Old 06-12-2001, 01:10 AM

umm...the only way to have a chance against a 300zx TT is to have an aspirated maxima