Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > General Maxima Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a torque converter improve my performance and what does it do?

General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How can a torque converter improve my performance and what does it do?

Old 06-13-2001, 01:08 PM
  #1  
Rice Boy in Denial =)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Y2KevSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 25,358
Yes, I know I can find the info elsewhere, but I want your input. Will be FAQ'ed and credit will be given. Thanks!
Y2KevSE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 04:43 PM
  #2  
Ford Only.
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,602
Are you serious or joking? I thought you knew your stuff!
dmontzsta is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 04:50 PM
  #3  
Rice Boy in Denial =)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Y2KevSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 25,358
Originally posted by dmontzmax
Are you serious or joking? I thought you knew your stuff!
I do know my stuff, but I want others to answer. It's not fun updating the FAQ with only my input.
Y2KevSE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 05:36 PM
  #4  
Got Bent?
iTrader: (1)
 
UMD_MaxSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 11,519
Hey, I answered this already and you put it in the 5th gen FAQ sticky. But if you want it again....


A torque converter is basically the clutch for an automatic transmission. It transfers power from the engine to the transmission gears. However unlike a clutch in a manual transmission, the torque converter (TC) transfers power hydraulically through the transmission fluid. Since the transfer of power is done hydraulically rather than mechanically, more power is lost between the engine and drivetrain. Thus, an upgraded or stronger TC will provide a better transfer of power to the drivetrain. You will not be gaining any horsepower, rather you will be recovering horsepower that would have been normally lost with your stock TC. In addition, a stronger TC will have a higher stall speed. This will allow better launches when you are brake torquing or flashing the TC. In other words, you can bring the revs up higher when you launch with a TC that has a higher stall speed.

please correct me if any information is incorrect
UMD_MaxSE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 05:39 PM
  #5  
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,609
amen...nice write-up
Chris91SE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 05:46 PM
  #6  
Rice Boy in Denial =)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Y2KevSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 25,358
Originally posted by Chris91SE
amen...nice write-up
Copy/paste is the best.
Y2KevSE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 05:47 PM
  #7  
Got Bent?
iTrader: (1)
 
UMD_MaxSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 11,519
Originally posted by Chris91SE
amen...nice write-up
tanks
UMD_MaxSE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 05:47 PM
  #8  
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,609
Originally posted by Y2KevSE


Copy/paste is the best.
no need to reinvent the wheel
Chris91SE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 05:49 PM
  #9  
Rice Boy in Denial =)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Y2KevSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 25,358
,

Bump
Y2KevSE is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 08:36 PM
  #10  
Not DAVEB the parts guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,562
Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Hey, I answered this already and you put it in the 5th gen FAQ sticky. But if you want it again....


A torque converter is basically the clutch for an automatic transmission. It transfers power from the engine to the transmission gears. However unlike a clutch in a manual transmission, the torque converter (TC) transfers power hydraulically through the transmission fluid. Since the transfer of power is done hydraulically rather than mechanically, more power is lost between the engine and drivetrain. Thus, an upgraded or stronger TC will provide a better transfer of power to the drivetrain. You will not be gaining any horsepower, rather you will be recovering horsepower that would have been normally lost with your stock TC. In addition, a stronger TC will have a higher stall speed. This will allow better launches when you are brake torquing or flashing the TC. In other words, you can bring the revs up higher when you launch with a TC that has a higher stall speed.

please correct me if any information is incorrect
Actually there are a few things wrong here

An upgraded stall converter will be stronger IF you get a stronger unit. However, most quality aftermarket torque converters that increase stall speed are stronger internally. Raising stall speed has nothing to do with strength. You don't gain back hp either. Actually you loose even more power at the expense of the added stall speed (ie more slip before stall speed is achieved). What you get in return is much better torque multiplication which is what makes for stronger launches at WOT.


Dave
Dave B is offline  
Old 06-13-2001, 11:47 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 360
what Dave said. My understanding is that they only allow you to launch at higher rpms which is only beneficial if you have slicks or drag radials. On regular tires, you'd only spin worse. But that's just my understanding. I don't actually have one.
bigtexan7 is offline  
Old 06-14-2001, 05:13 AM
  #12  
Got Bent?
iTrader: (1)
 
UMD_MaxSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 11,519
Originally posted by Dave B


Actually there are a few things wrong here

An upgraded stall converter will be stronger IF you get a stronger unit. However, most quality aftermarket torque converters that increase stall speed are stronger internally. Raising stall speed has nothing to do with strength. You don't gain back hp either. Actually you loose even more power at the expense of the added stall speed (ie more slip before stall speed is achieved). What you get in return is much better torque multiplication which is what makes for stronger launches at WOT.


Dave
thanks for the clarification...
UMD_MaxSE is offline  
Old 06-14-2001, 07:20 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 384
Just wondering about this...

What would raising the viscosity of the Auto tranny fluid do?
The_quorum is offline  
Old 06-14-2001, 07:22 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,166
yes
infinitiblast is offline  
Old 06-14-2001, 07:32 AM
  #15  
Supporting Maxima.org Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 993
converter

this is the "street" explanation. if you have upgraded your automatic transmission and put in a high stall converter, you can launch like a rocket. this can be an advantage especially when your engine is not that responsive, through mid range torque.
sleeper is offline  
Old 06-14-2001, 01:07 PM
  #16  
Rice Boy in Denial =)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Y2KevSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 25,358
Any other input?
Y2KevSE is offline  
Old 06-14-2001, 01:40 PM
  #17  
Got Bent?
iTrader: (1)
 
UMD_MaxSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 11,519
NO
UMD_MaxSE is offline  
Old 07-26-2018, 12:17 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 74
Does a torque converter work differently for a CVT than an auto?
rablaze93 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mahmuth
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
2
10-17-2015 12:03 PM
09maxshawn11
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
5
09-30-2015 10:28 AM
sliptap
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
2
09-30-2015 05:57 AM
hez8813
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
0
09-27-2015 08:37 AM
Socalstillen
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
1
09-26-2015 12:01 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can a torque converter improve my performance and what does it do?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.