4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

torque convertor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 04:27 PM

I have a question on the torque convertor..i have an automatic..and recently got a Jet Chip...(also have intake and exhaust)..i am still not statisfied with my car on the power level...i know what a torque convertor is and what it is supposed to do...but does it really help and how much will it help?? i was thinking of getting one..any comments or advice would help..thanks...
Old 04-18-2001, 04:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What do you mean? You car already has a torque converter on it. That's how automatic transmissions work.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:45 PM

If you mean replacing your stock TC, here's a little blurb from Maximadriver.com:
/// Torque Converter

From Level 10's website, they have this product called a"High Performance "Billet" Torque Converters." What it does is basically allow the amount of power that you have to be transfered safely from the car to the wheels. Get it? Torque Converter. If you're SuperCharged or NOSed, having a torque converter might kick off 1 whole second off your quarter mile times. Think of it as a "clutch" for your auto. Although the price tag is close to $700, this might be better than a $2500 tranny failure. Level 10 also offers strengthened trannys with rebuilt parts that were modified to take on stronger loads from hard accelerations and/or boost.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:46 PM

Really?

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
What do you mean? You car already has a torque converter on it. That's how automatic transmissions work.
I know that it has a torque convertor already on it...it is an uprgade just like if some one said.." i was thinking of getting an exhaust, which one?".....that person knows his car has an exhaust on it...but wants an upgrade...so like i said...any suggestions would help....thanks
Old 04-18-2001, 04:52 PM

thanks....but

Originally posted by medicsonic
If you mean replacing your stock TC, here's a little blurb from Maximadriver.com:
/// Torque Converter

From Level 10's website, they have this product called a"High Performance "Billet" Torque Converters." What it does is basically allow the amount of power that you have to be transfered safely from the car to the wheels. Get it? Torque Converter. If you're SuperCharged or NOSed, having a torque converter might kick off 1 whole second off your quarter mile times. Think of it as a "clutch" for your auto. Although the price tag is close to $700, this might be better than a $2500 tranny failure. Level 10 also offers strengthened trannys with rebuilt parts that were modified to take on stronger loads from hard accelerations and/or boost.
thanks for the info..i recently read an article similar..but in your opinion or anyoneelse, with my current mods of intake, exhaust, chip...do you think it is worth the money..and will it help..thanks
Old 04-18-2001, 10:51 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

I juss installed on for CalsonicSE, we noticed the car could do spin the tires much easier after the install. Initial G-Tech tests were dissapointing but after some breaking in and a better choice of road the tests were impressive.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

oh, forgot, he has a 97 SE and got the Protorque unit
Old 04-19-2001, 05:42 AM

This is just a little of what's here: http://www.thrasher-ep.com/tech_htm/...convertor.shtm

First of all, what is a torque converter, and what does "high stall" mean? Basically, a torque converter is the unit that performs the fluid coupling between the engine and transmission. Below a certain RPM, the converter slips, allowing the output to turn much slower than the input. At a certain RPM, called the stall speed, the input and output sections of the converter are essentially "locked" by fluid pressure. This stall speed will depend on the torque output of the engine, the higher the torque, the higher the stall speed. For this reason, it is not accurate to classify a converter according to stall speed, as this is dependent upon the torque output of the engine. So, when you see a "2800" stall converter advertised, you have to ask, 2800 rpm behind what engine? Because, if this stall speed of 2800 rpm was measured using a hi performance big-block V8, this same converter used behind a 4 cylinder would have a very low stall speed indeed.