General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to remove winshield and are they interchangable w/ other gens? NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 AM

How to remove winshield and are they interchangable w/ other gens? NEED HELP ASAP

I have a 2000 maxima gxe with a cracked windshield and have to replace it with a used one at a junkyard. What generations will fit my 2k max? Only 5th gens? 5.5gens, 6th gens, and 4th gens too?

MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do I remove the windshield and what tools are necessary. I will be going to junkyards today so please help me ASAP

thank you
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Leave it to a professional, i doubt you would be able to remove one without breaking it
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by scheibler
MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do I remove the windshield
Call a mobil glass company to replace your windshield. They are as cheap as $180 installed. You'll never be able to do that job yourself.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
STFU n00b!

It's possible to do yourself, but usually the beginner will break about 3 of them before they ever get it right. If you don't have that kind of money, then I suggest you just call a professional and let them replace it for you.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 AM

remove the Rubber gasket around the broken one. Run a fishing wire through the windshield into the car. have another person in the car and do a saw action with the fishreel and cut around the old windsheild. Then lift and remove (becareful here as the broken one will fall apart and cause a bigger mess). Cleanup the goop left behind from this one. get the Rubber glue made for windshields from nissan, lay a fresh bead and put your new windshield on it and let it sit/dry.

For $180, you willnot get Nissan glass.

Get the glass from the junkyard. Pay a mobile repair guy $50 and let him swap it out for you.

better yet take him to the junkyard with you so he can swap it right there. 90% chance you'll crack the new one trying to transport it.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 AM
vsamoylov

you can do it yourself and 5th gen and 5.5 gen will only work.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:46 AM

Auto glass shops have special tools and experience which makes them do teh job right. You don't. You maybe able to remove the old one, but I severly doubt you'll be able to put the replacement in right.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 PM

You can follow the FSM and get it out, but you must take care. I would let a real shop install it, not some mobile operation.

I would try to get OEM glass, as it will be better than the aftermarket.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:24 PM

I'm just going to get the oem glass with professional installation at a shop I guess. This really pisses me off. I just got my windows tinted and sunstrip across windshield and then a day after my F***ing windshield gets hit by a random rock on the interstate

I can turn it into my insurance company b/c I have full coverage, but b/c I am only 16 I should expect my rates to go way up, correct?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by PIONEER
For $180, you willnot get Nissan glass.
Nissan doesn't make glass
Nissan doesn't make paint
Nissan doesn't make leather
Nissan doesn't make any of the sensors in your car

Nissan builds cars.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:45 PM

i took the glass out of my 1991 maxima and put it into my 1992..... i didnt crack the glass AT ALL.... i just got a box cutter and a linoleum cutter with a curved blade ($5.00 a blade) and just kept cutting for hours.. but i did get it out..... and i just used silicone to replace the seal around the outside with some double faced foam tape... it seems to not be leaking at the moment..... i used 1.5 tubes of silicone also.....it can be done, but patience is a BIG issue!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:04 AM

I'm just going to get the oem glass with professional installation at a shop I guess. This really pisses me off. I just got my windows tinted and sunstrip across windshield and then a day after my F***ing windshield gets hit by a random rock on the interstate

I can turn it into my insurance company b/c I have full coverage, but b/c I am only 16 I should expect my rates to go way up, correct?
NO, your rates will not go up for having your windshield replaced, have your insurance pay for it!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:08 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
i took the glass out of my 1991 maxima and put it into my 1992..... i didnt crack the glass AT ALL.... i just got a box cutter and a linoleum cutter with a curved blade ($5.00 a blade) and just kept cutting for hours.. but i did get it out..... and i just used silicone to replace the seal around the outside with some double faced foam tape... it seems to not be leaking at the moment..... i used 1.5 tubes of silicone also.....it can be done, but patience is a BIG issue!
wait a few months and come back when your interior is molded to **** because it leaked inside the trim pieces and you never saw it.

double sided tape and RTV silicone are NOt the proper adhesives to use for this, and is in fact a safety hazard.
Your 92 have an airbag? better hope you never get in a wreck bad enough that it goes off or that windshield will go flying out and there's nothing to hold the bag in place. (The windshield is an integral part of the airbag deployment design.. They use the windsheild to hold the bag in front of the driver's face).

Oh well. I'll never be riding in your car or on the streets in your town, so you don't affect me. please just don't recommend that to anyone else, as Darwin will eventually take care of someone...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM

I believe my rates will go up b/c of my $500 deductable. I will have my dad look into it, but for the meantime I will be driving with a cracked windshield that continues to spread 1mm at a time lol
Old 04-05-2006, 10:24 AM

if it's a $500 deductible and the windshield only cost 180 to replace.. then just replace it with your own money.

btw i had mine replaced for 150 dollars by my body shop.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 PM

I believe my rates will go up b/c of my $500 deductable. I will have my dad look into it, but for the meantime I will be driving with a cracked windshield that continues to spread 1mm at a time lol
If you have complete coverage windshield replacement will not fall under the deductible, and your rates will not go up. After all what the fuck are you paying for when you send them a check every month?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
wait a few months and come back when your interior is molded to **** because it leaked inside the trim pieces and you never saw it.

double sided tape and RTV silicone are NOt the proper adhesives to use for this, and is in fact a safety hazard.
Your 92 have an airbag? better hope you never get in a wreck bad enough that it goes off or that windshield will go flying out and there's nothing to hold the bag in place. (The windshield is an integral part of the airbag deployment design.. They use the windsheild to hold the bag in front of the driver's face).

Oh well. I'll never be riding in your car or on the streets in your town, so you don't affect me. please just don't recommend that to anyone else, as Darwin will eventually take care of someone...
the silicone i used is the same type they use on windsheilds....my dad got it from work, and he is a glazier..... in other words he works with glass ALL day.. but thats for the tips matt...... i also do not have an air bag, and i did check for leaks, and i saw none...... i ran the hose over my windshield for about 10 minutes, all over it and i didnt see a drop of water......we REALLY used alot of silicone also
Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Got Projectors?

Call your insurance company and find out.

Glass break coverage under my policy is different than if it were actual body damage.

For example, if the glass can be repaired it's free (for me).

If the glass can't be repaired, and needs to be replaced, then it's $100.

I still have a regular $500 deductible for everything else.

FWIW - in the past 6 months or so I've had 2 repairs done to my windshield (free) through insurance without affecting my rates.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the input. I will call them up and see whats the deal b/c I don't think my dad is going to...been asking him for days. I've never delt with insurance before, but they are raping my ***. B/C of my bad grades 2.8GPA, I am paying a wopping $520 every 3 months. If I would actually quit being a dumbass and start tryiong harder in school to accomplish a 3.0GPA it would be $320 every 3 months