General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tonight: SC Max VS NOS Max VS .... TT Supra!? Results and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 12:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When i got out to Starbucks everyone was already there so we got the show on the road pretty quick. it was going to be me racing Loren with Andi doing chase so the guy with Andi could video tape. I gave my camera to Spencer who rode with YJ so he could tape from behind. so all my footage is from the back and at times it's really far away, you HAVE TO TURN UP THE BRIGHTNESS TO SEE ANYTHING.

ok, 1st race: Loren's in the right lane, i'm in the middle, Andi's in the left lane to video tape. we're going 50mph, so Loren and i are both in 2nd gear, he honks 3 times and we go. he hit it a split second before me cuz i have bad reaction time, lol, but by the time i had to shift to 3rd i was even with him, and throughout 3rd and 4th i steadily pulled about 2 cars on Loren.

2nd race: we basically did the same thing with the same result. started in 2nd gear at around 50mph and went to top of 4th. actually, i remember shifting into 5th on one of these races with Loren - or maybe both, not sure.

3rd race: Andi pulls up next to me - he's in the left lane and i'm in the middle still. took me awhile to realize he was going to race me. anyway, he honks three times and we take off. i'm not sure if i was in 2nd or 3rd gear, but all i know is that we were almost dead even all the way 150+(according to Andi). i pulled about a fender at the beginning of 4th gear, but Andi was able to gain that back at the top of my 4th gear. through fifth gear we were side by side and after 140mph or so he started inching on me.

Note: we came to the conclusion that Andi's supra wasn't having one of it's best night's - performance wise. so that's why i was able to hang with him. I'm sure Andi will come and add-on or clarify details i missed.

Conclusion: i was surprised, i thought i was going to get my butt kicked by Loren. and i DEFINITELY did not think i'd hang with Andi.

ok, below are all the videos: there's alot of them but only a few are of the actual races. they are in chronological order so i'll say which ones contain the races. TURN UP BRIGHTNESS.

The first 5 videos are just vids of us driving to the place where we raced. 1st car is loren, 2nd is mine, 3rd is andi.
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-01.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-02.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-03.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-04.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-05.MPG

The next 2 videos are of the 1st race between me and loren. i'm in the middle and he's in the right lane.
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-06.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-07.MPG

The next 4 videos are of the 2nd race between me and Loren.
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-08.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-09.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-10.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-11.MPG

The next 2 videos are of me racing Andi. uh.. all you can see are the tailights. Andi's in the left lane, and i'm in the right lane. disregard what the people said in the video, they were pretty far behind so i don't think they saw the results.
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-12.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-13.MPG

The next 3 are just vids of us going back to Starbucks.
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-14.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-15.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-16.MPG

The last 2 vids are when we're back at starbucks.
The first one is Loren talking about my car, he's wearing blue. In the second one, i'm the guy wearing the hat and Loren is standing on my right. and that's my girlfriend in front of me - (no she's not that short, i'm just standing on the curb)
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-17.MPG
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-18.MPG

that was a long post, hope you guys enjoyed.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:39 AM

Yay! More videos! Great job guys! Thomas, hurry your **** up.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:40 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i think someone need stabil-o track in their camcorder.
hehe

nice. nice anyhoo.

what mods are you runnin Sx7? NOS at what shot?

come over here to the west coast. i'll race u. hehe.... on my Huffy!
Old 06-17-2001, 12:45 AM

We'll try to get the video from Andi's car encoded real soon. That was the best shots, from Andi's car... I mean AMAZING footage.. My friend Chris was the camera man.

-Kaleb
Old 06-17-2001, 12:56 AM

Woah... sweet.

Yeah, Andi needs a Maxima-sized amount of money so he can go single turbo and solve his boost leak problems.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
i think someone need stabil-o track in their camcorder.
hehe

nice. nice anyhoo.

what mods are you runnin Sx7? NOS at what shot?

come over here to the west coast. i'll race u. hehe.... on my Huffy!
Thomas is running basically all the bolt-on mods and a dry 100 shot that has been modded a bit too.

Yea, someone really needs "stabil-o track" hehe.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:16 AM

First, I would like to say that Thomas is a lot faster than the last time we raced...like 50+ hp faster. With the extra .5 psi of boost and lightweight flywheel, I expected to win from the start. Both of us have good clutches now, so there was no advantage there. I was shocked at how hard Thomas' car pulls. We start pretty even and he just outpulled me on top. His top end power was really strong. Keep in mind that NOS usually hits with a flat torque curve and my boost builds with rpm, he still outpulled me on top rather than on the bottom. The biggest shocked was when I saw him shift into 4th when I was at about 5700 in 3rd.

I didn't know he and Andi were going to run after our 3rd run. I was a couple car lengths behind them when they ran. I had to race to try to keep up. This was shortly interrupted by my speed limiter, but it looked great.

Andi was completely shocked that Thomas ran door to door with him up to 155 mph. Andi didn't suspect anything was wrong. Later, he ran Jonathan who also has a BPU Supra with the same mods as Andi. Andi and Jonathan usually run door to door and have to 165 mph before. Tonight, Andi raced Jonathan and Jonathon pulled him tonight. Jonathan told me Andi's car has been blowing black smoke out the exhaust for a while. This is a pure sign the turbos are going. Andi has also mentioned to me about the oil seals going with him getting oil in the intake tubing. It looks like the air seals on his turbos are starting to fail. Nevertheless, he was still putting out around 370-380 wheel hp tonight and Thomas was right with him. I am predicting a single turbo upgrade in Andi's future. Thomas had already left, but they were trying to set up a race between Thomas and Jonathan. Maybe next time.

There were a couple of other races that happened. Right after running Andi, this Regal(80's rwd intercooled turbo, same thing as a Grand National without the all-black treatment) T-type running 16 psi boost on a slightly bigger turbo was racing Andi. Andi was still in the left, the Regal was in the center and I was on the right. They were starting to get into it and I was less than a car length behind them. When they went I punched and had a nose ahead of the Regal when we let off. I would like to mention that the Regal raced with 4 people in the car. It would be a lot more fair if it was just the driver. When we got back to the lot, the driver of the Regal made some very nice comments about how he wasn't really expecting such fast competition and how fast are cars are. I suspect we will race again with more even passenger weight.

My last race was on the way home. There were a couple guys there with a red 3rd gen RX-7 twin turbo. I thought they were going to race me on the way back from the Thomas race, but didn't. We talked for a while and decided to race on the way back. We did 3 roll-ons on LBJ. Kaleb was behind us trying to keep up. I outpulled him all 3 times with at least a half car length in 3rd and a car length in 4th. Of the 3 RX-7s I have race, he was by far the fastest. He said he has beat LS-1 f-bodies and I would believe it because I pulled him half of what I pull the stock LS-1s. The Corvette I was supposed to race never showed up. Too bad, because he missed some great racing.

Thomas, thanks for the run. It was a blast(of NOS).
Old 06-17-2001, 06:32 AM

You can never beat nitrous in the bang for the buck department Im still wondering how a nice 100 shot would work on ole Mad Max......
Old 06-17-2001, 07:01 AM

I saw the thing live!
It was so freakin awsome!
Its amazing how we all stopped traffic in a major interstate in Dallas so those could race

First off major propz to Thomas for his fast car.
But Loren's car is fast too. he took me for a ride in after the race and that thing is smokin fast too.

You west coast and east coast guys better watch out
Its not every day that a max will run a supra all the wya up to 150+
Old 06-17-2001, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by yongjun
You west coast and east coast guys better watch out
Its not every day that a max will run a supra all the wya up to 150+
I gotta come to Dallas and check it out, I'm like 8 hours from yall. Mabye after I get my next project completed I'll come up and play! Or perhaps a Houston hook up?

You gotta love nitrous, that 100 shot hits HARD.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:20 AM

Hey I like this video the best
http://www.dream2kr.com/sx7r/061601/061601-16.MPG
Old 06-17-2001, 09:18 AM

Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

My cousin is on teh SUpra list still even though he sold his 15th Ann. Edition. Here it what it says:

Subj: [mkiv] Interesting night of racing (WTF?)
Date: 6/17/01 4:16:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Sender: owner-mkiv@mkiv.com
Reply-to: mkiv@mkiv.com
To: tx@mkiv.com (txmkiv), mkiv@mkiv.com (mkiv mailing list)

Tonight at the local racing meet, a couple friends with Maximas asked me to be
the chase car to video their racing on the highway.

Loren's 97 Maxima has a Stillen supercharger kit at 10psi and is putting down
~300hp at the wheels. (note that this is only a 3100lb car). Thomas' 97 Maxima
dyno'd 270 front wheel hp (fwhp) a few weeks ago on a 100 shot of NOS, and this
week he had some tricks up his sleeve (he said just an open exhaust / removed
cats, and added a window switch).

So anyways, we roll out and they race.. I'm starting from behind them expecting
to pull a Clint catchup maneuver as it is of course two Maximas racing that I'm
following... so I just let them start the race and punch it after I hear them
punch it. Thomas' black Maxima with the NOS is pulling steadily on Loren's, but
I'm not catching up to Thomas. They raced a few more times and each time I'd let
them jump then floor it, and I'd catch Loren each time but couldn't catch Thomas
after his jump!

So I get next to Thomas' black Maxima and signal that I want to race him.. 40
punch, my 3rd honk, and oh my God I'm racing a Maxima on the highway in a BPU++
Supra and he's not fading. 120mph and he's ahead of me by a couple feet. By
150mph I'd passed him and had a half a car on him.

Yes, you read that right, a 98 Maxima with open exhaust and an unknown (claimed
100) shot of NOS stayed with my BPU++ Supra to 150. I gotta admit, this was
definitely the most surprising and INTERSTING race of my life...

I also raced a Grand National tonite, from a roll and off the line, and beat
him.. and I raced Jonathan Altschul's BPU++ Supra that I'm usually dead even
with, and he pulled me by a couple car lengths by 120 from a dead stop after I
launched evenly with him if not better. So my car's not running QUITE the way
it should (420rwhp on pump gas if all is perfect), but I'm probably still making
380-390rwhp with whatever problem I have (maybe a boost leak or spark plugs).
So I'd guess that Thomas' lighter Maxima was probably making 350-360rwhp at the
wheels to hang with me.. They dyno 160fwhp stock, and ~185-190fwhp with
completely open exhaust and intake, so I think he had a little more than the
claimed "100 shot" that gave him 270fwhp only a few weeks ago. I'm surprised
that VQ30DE motor in that Maxima is still in one piece.

All I can say is WOW.

Regards,
Andi
'98 TT
Boostaholic.com
Old 06-17-2001, 09:31 AM

Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

Nice Runs guys, Just remember Loren 15 will give you 20

You sly guy you.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:11 AM

Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

Originally posted by Synki
"and an unknown (claimed
100) shot of NOS "

$2.50 for a 0.052 jet...
Old 06-17-2001, 10:16 AM

Focus! We need focus! I hope the Supra guy has better videos. Talk about the need for a stability control.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:27 AM

how much is a 150 shot nitrous set up?
Old 06-17-2001, 11:05 AM

Remember, Thomas and I raced before with his 100 shot before his and my latest mods. I am 15-20 hp stronger than then and Thomas is a lot faster than that then. If Andi was putting down 380 hp at the wheels last night and Thomas was next to him, that would be about 116 mph trap in a 1/4 mile. I figure it out with the approximate weight of the car with Thomas and Vicky, it works out to about 405 hp at the crack. In other words, Thomas should be running door to door or beat a Z06 Vette. That is not just from a 100-shot, that is with a lot more mods in the car. Do not expect to just throw a 100-shot on a car and run that fast.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Loren00Miata
Remember, Thomas and I raced before with his 100 shot before his and my latest mods. I am 15-20 hp stronger than then and Thomas is a lot faster than that then. If Andi was putting down 380 hp at the wheels last night and Thomas was next to him, that would be about 116 mph trap in a 1/4 mile. I figure it out with the approximate weight of the car with Thomas and Vicky, it works out to about 405 hp at the crack. In other words, Thomas should be running door to door or beat a Z06 Vette. That is not just from a 100-shot, that is with a lot more mods in the car. Do not expect to just throw a 100-shot on a car and run that fast.
Find him a z06 and let's race again
Old 06-17-2001, 11:19 AM

sxr7, is that you drinkin in the last video?
Old 06-17-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
sxr7, is that you drinkin in the last video?
yup
you didn't know he was sponsering 7 up?
Old 06-17-2001, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

$2.50 for a 0.052 jet...

...OR heat up the bottle for free. <whisper> 1200psi </whisper> 350psi makes alot of difference. when i ran Loren the first time my bottle pressure was sitting at 850psi so that was a considerable handicap for me.

All i did different this time was:
take out the cat,
run full 3" exhaust(w/ 3" y-pipe),
changed the dual stage*(60shot/40shot) back to single stage(100shot),
remounted the nitrous nozzle,
and came prepared with a heated bottle.

*That dual stage setup was causing me to run rich because i was using two nitrous jets with only one fuel jet to adjust fuel pressure for both stages. So I think that made a difference too.

It was pretty close last time and since then, Loren upped his boost and got a flywheel so I thought i'd compensate by upping my bottle pressure. In theory, yeah, it's more than a "100-shot" when the bottle is at 1200psi, but it's still a "100-shot jet(.047)." All in all, I thought they were pretty good races. Loren's car is fast.

Also, all those guesses about my horsepower... i honestly don't think that i have 350fwhp. it just doesn't register in my brain. the motor is stock - i don't think it'll hold 405hp at the crank. i'm going to get it dyno'd again soon, so we'll see.

yes, 7up sponsers me.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

Originally posted by sx7r
...i honestly don't think that i have 350fwhp. it just doesn't register in my brain. the motor is stock - i don't think it'll hold 405hp at the crank. i'm going to get it dyno'd again soon, so we'll see.
I dunno about HP, but I bet you have ~300-325 ft/lb-TQ @ wheels (~380@crank) from ~3700rpm till 500rpm, it pays to shift lower on the nitrous. Where were you shifting?

How were your EGT's with the 1200psi, what did they run up too?

Was the fuel pressure still at ~80psi with 1200psi of bottle pressure?

Very impressive stuff!!!
Old 06-17-2001, 02:24 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Re: Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

good lord. 100+ shot NOS.

if you're saying the engine i stock. does that mean no internals?

wow. now that's something to say about the safety of nos.

are you trigger armed or throttle position controlled?

im very interested with NOS, now that its possible to run that fast (with the other mods of course) relatively safely.
but, is this your first "stock" motor? or your fifth?

i wunder why so many people are afraid of nos.? prolyl because they just dont understand it? (raising hand)
Old 06-17-2001, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Loren00Miata
If Andi was putting down 380 hp at the wheels last night and Thomas was next to him, that would be about 116 mph trap in a 1/4 mile.

Thomas should be running door to door or beat a Z06 Vette.
No doubt, very low 13's are possible on a cool low humidity night. When I corrected my 13.8 for atmospheric and altitude conditions (95f/85%@+400ft) it worked out to be a 13.0xx . Do I honestly think I'll see those times with my current set up, nope. But with the extra items Thomas has its in his future...
Old 06-17-2001, 02:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

I dunno about HP, but I bet you have ~300-325 ft/lb-TQ @ wheels (~380@crank) from ~3700rpm till 500rpm, it pays to shift lower on the nitrous. Where were you shifting?

How were your EGT's with the 1200psi, what did they run up too?

Was the fuel pressure still at ~80psi with 1200psi of bottle pressure?

Very impressive stuff!!!

from 2nd gear to 3rd, i shifted close to redline. from 3rd to 4th, i shifted close to redline also(maybe just bit earlier), but from 4th to 5th, i shifted at like 6000.

my EGT gauge was unhooked, cuz i changed to a 3" y-pipe and haven't had a chance to mount the probe again. so i had my eyes pinned on the FP gauge which was steady at 80psi for all three races. because i have a stock FP regulator, i'm running open line for the fuel - so no fuel jet. at 1200 psi it works out fine @ 80psi everytime.

Cheston: this is my first stock motor - meaning same engine as when i bought the car new with no engine work done on it. i'm using a full throttle switch with a window switch.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:56 PM
is invisible

Does that mean...

Andi's car sucks?

Old 06-17-2001, 03:27 PM

Re: Does that mean...

Originally posted by CoolMax
Andi's car sucks?
Oh yes, Andi's car sucks alot... of air that its. Two hair dryers, none the waiting.

Cheston-Thomas' has stock internals and has a throttle switch and window switch set to kick in at 3.6k rpms.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Does that mean...

They all suck
My 5th gen auto whooped all their asses
Old 06-17-2001, 03:44 PM

cool vids. Amazing how good your car still runs even with a 100 shot. That just proves why this motor has won so many awards.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:04 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Straight form the SUpra Mailing List!

Don has ran NOS since he had 20k on his car and he now has over 100k, with no problems. He has always sprayed 100shot.

good lord. 100+ shot NOS.

if you're saying the engine i stock. does that mean no internals?

wow. now that's something to say about the safety of nos.

are you trigger armed or throttle position controlled?

im very interested with NOS, now that its possible to run that fast (with the other mods of course) relatively safely.
but, is this your first "stock" motor? or your fifth?

i wunder why so many people are afraid of nos.? prolyl because they just dont understand it? (raising hand)

Old 06-17-2001, 04:07 PM

who makes a good 100shot kit that works on the maxima?
Old 06-17-2001, 04:35 PM

You buy the regular NOS kit and replace the NOS jet.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by infinitiblast
who makes a good 100shot kit that works on the maxima?
Nos makes a good kit. I got mine from JC Whitney for $375 shipped to my door. The deal ends at the end of this month. Many people have picked up this kit including me. All you have to do is buy a 100 shot jet and you have a 100 shot kit. You will need gauges, window switch, etc.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Synki

Nos makes a good kit. I got mine from JC Whitney for $375 shipped to my door. The deal ends at the end of this month. Many people have picked up this kit including me. All you have to do is buy a 100 shot jet and you have a 100 shot kit. You will need gauges, window switch, etc.
Plus
High Flow Fuel Pump

Most of all...
Time, Skill and patience.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:49 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

so what's the deal with running NOS with a blower?

i take it squeeze to 4k and then let the blower take over?

thanks for answering my ?'s guys. appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2001, 05:08 PM

so what's the deal with running NOS with a blower?

i take it squeeze to 4k and then let the blower take over?

thanks for answering my ?'s guys. appreciate it.
Well I've been pondering this recently too

I would do a dyno run on boost only and see where you need it. Then use that info to decide how much and what RPM range to use it. On my nitrous dyno runs the power drops off at ~4800 rpms.

While boosting 10psi your very close to the limit on the injectors, because you need ~70psi of fuel pressure. So that leaves you with about 10-20 psi of safe fuel pressure to play with using a dry nitrous set up. 10-20psi of fuel pressure cant be worth more than 50hp of nitrous when you that high in the pressure.

This is all pretty much ball park/brain storming so buyer beware. But its close.

Ps: Get an EGT gauge if your gonna try it!!!
Old 06-17-2001, 05:12 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Talk about patience Anyway, I'm going back to the dyno on Tuesday. I'm going step up on the fuel jets and see what happens. If I don't see more power on the dyno, I'm going step up the nitrous jets.

Plus
High Flow Fuel Pump

Most of all...
Time, Skill and patience.
Old 06-17-2001, 05:23 PM

I can only imagine how hard Tony's direct port system hits. Mwahahaha. Evil bro, evil..
Old 06-17-2001, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
If I don't see more power on the dyno, I'm going step up the nitrous jets.
Now THATS! what I'm talking about!
Old 06-17-2001, 06:18 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Direct port is wunderful.

Tony is da man.

but mikey's not that far off either.

where's da Munster Max when u need it. :P

im not the only one going WAAaaaaaahhh PPSSSTTT!!!! soon ,eh?

Originally posted by Maximamike
I can only imagine how hard Tony's direct port system hits. Mwahahaha. Evil bro, evil..

Quick Reply: Tonight: SC Max VS NOS Max VS .... TT Supra!? Results and Videos