General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can I Put Tints Over My Tints??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 09:29 PM

I already have 35% tints, can I put 50% tints on top of that? and so that would mean I have 17.5% tints is that correct?
Old 06-17-2001, 10:54 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sure

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
I already have 35% tints, can I put 50% tints on top of that? and so that would mean I have 17.5% tints is that correct?
I've heard of people getting double layer tints.. I don't know about the percentage though, I rather have 1 layer of film... just remove the other film and get a fresh 20% or so... that is what I have... very happy I didn't go with 35% like i thought about, way too light for the day..
Old 06-18-2001, 08:00 AM

U could do that but whereva they messed up on the first tint when u go ova with it with the second tint its gunna look messed up. Like those parts will be a different darkness then the others. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:18 AM

Not recommend

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
It will create static and bubbles will appear and that will reduce your visibility. I wouldn't recommended. Just get a new, fresh tint with lower percentage. Anyway double layer of tints reallly isn't necessary.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:03 AM

Yes it is possible but be sure to find the best installer you can. Because like somebody else said if they mess up on the second layer, all of it must be replaced. I have 2 sheets on my car; a sheet of 20% reflective tint and a sheet of 20%limo behind that. The reflective tint was too see through at night and that's why I added the limo. Now it's good and dark. If you check out my homepage I've got a side shot of my tint. I've had it for over a year now and no bubbles or fading either.
Old 06-18-2001, 06:48 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

if you actually have a installer that is willing to layer tint then he's not worth a damn in the 1st place. all skilled installers use the proper tint..and only put on one sheet. why not go 5% and call it the day..instead of doing 20 and 20..or whatever darkness u were looking for.

Originally posted by Ravq
Yes it is possible but be sure to find the best installer you can. Because like somebody else said if they mess up on the second layer, all of it must be replaced. I have 2 sheets on my car; a sheet of 20% reflective tint and a sheet of 20%limo behind that. The reflective tint was too see through at night and that's why I added the limo. Now it's good and dark. If you check out my homepage I've got a side shot of my tint. I've had it for over a year now and no bubbles or fading either.
Old 06-18-2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
if you actually have a installer that is willing to layer tint then he's not worth a damn in the 1st place. all skilled installers use the proper tint..and only put on one sheet. why not go 5% and call it the day..instead of doing 20 and 20..or whatever darkness u were looking for.

First of all he's probably a better installer than you'll ever find and secondly the only reason why I used two layers was to get a good shade of color. The limo behind the reflective dulls the metallic look so that it doesn't look like a mirror. They don't make an "automotive" reflective tint that dark because it's illegal. Sure they make it dark for commercial or residential purposes but I wanted to be able to still see out of my car.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:35 PM

you can definitely do this...my friend drives a lincoln navigator and he has double limo ( 5%) tint on it...it's freakin crazy...there's like no seeing in even if you're face is one the glass...and from inside...i can barely see out...i don't understand how he can drive around like that
Old 06-18-2001, 09:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

yes sure..you know me sooo well that you can bet your guy is the best installer i've even seen/find.
it's your car..do what you damn well please.

and yes they do make reflective tint in 5%....it's not illegal to make it and sell it. it's also not illegal limos and trucks do use it.

First of all he's probably a better installer than you'll ever find and secondly the only reason why I used two layers was to get a good shade of color. The limo behind the reflective dulls the metallic look so that it doesn't look like a mirror. They don't make an "automotive" reflective tint that dark because it's illegal. Sure they make it dark for commercial or residential purposes but I wanted to be able to still see out of my car.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:20 PM

it's your car..do what you damn well please.
I damn sure will and have!
and yes they do make reflective tint in 5%....it's not illegal to make it and sell it. it's also not illegal limos and trucks do use it.
[/B]
Your right it's not illegal to make it or sell it but it is illegal in my state to install it on certain windows of cars. Like the front windows for example. Any car can have it on the back windows like limos and trucks. **** you can spray paint the back windows pitch black but by law but some installers won't risk getting slapped with a hefty fine just because you want some illegal tint. Just because there are installers out there that will do it doesn't mean the installer isn't worth a damn or doesn't have any skills.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:42 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i never said about installing dark tint..

you said..
They don't make an "automotive" reflective tint that dark because it's illegal. Sure they make it dark for commercial or residential purposes but I wanted to be able to still see out of my car

so i'm telling you that they do make dark dark tints 5% for cars and there is no need for you to double up on the tint because you wanted to go below 20%. so it's not illegal to make and it's not illegal to install. the owner of the car is responsible for any tickets not the installer. the installer can make u sign waivers and your car will be "for off road use only"..etc etc.. i never said that a tint guy who uses dark tint is not worth a damn. only the ones that used two layers of tint because they can't get a darker tint. tint should be installed with one layer and on a super clean window/environment.

Your right it's not illegal to make it or sell it but it is illegal in my state to install it on certain windows of cars. Like the front windows for example. Any car can have it on the back windows like limos and trucks. **** you can spray paint the back windows pitch black but by law but some installers won't risk getting slapped with a hefty fine just because you want some illegal tint. Just because there are installers out there that will do it doesn't mean the installer isn't worth a damn or doesn't have any skills.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:15 AM

i never said about installing dark tint..

you said..
They don't make an "automotive" reflective tint that dark because it's illegal. Sure they make it dark for commercial or residential purposes but I wanted to be able to still see out of my car

so i'm telling you that they do make dark dark tints 5% for cars and there is no need for you to double up on the tint because you wanted to go below 20%. so it's not illegal to make and it's not illegal to install. the owner of the car is responsible for any tickets not the installer. the installer can make u sign waivers and your car will be "for off road use only"..etc etc.. i never said that a tint guy who uses dark tint is not worth a damn. only the ones that used two layers of tint because they can't get a darker tint. tint should be installed with one layer and on a super clean window/environment.

I've never seen 5% reflective tint so I can't comment on the shade of it. I originally said that I used layers to get a GOOD SHADE of tint not just because I wanted it dark. And yes an installer can be fined for installing tint not compatible with local laws. Check it out and you'll see. Just because an installer is willing to layer tint doesn't mean he's worth a damn either. Maybe he agrees to the idea of customization and being unique. You still can't get my shade of tint without layering it.