General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

someone recommend brake pads pls!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 12:17 AM

I was wondering if there are any track junkies here on the board that go to high performance driving schools? want to know what type brake pads do you guys use?

lets just say that I went through 2 sets of pads (yes read 2 sets of prior properly bedded - one went completly gone in 1.5 days (porterfelds r4-s), and the second pad (axis Metal Master pads)is giving out soon!) over this past weekend in driver's school down in Indiana....
those pads are awesome on the road, but wear out really fast on the race track (esp since the rotors run so hot, and the pads only can withstand so much heat before failing)

I was using front slotted rotors as well....needless to say, I was very upset at the rate those pads wore out on the track thinking of getting some full metallic pads, but don't know where to start.

currently, thinking of the following pads to get.

hawk blues (heard its brake dust is v corrosive & it is very damaging to rotors)

hawk blacks (track pads & streetable pads 2 in 1 purpose) - but can't find out opinions about them.

ebc blacks (went to ebc site to look)

performance friction brand...etc

any help & opinion is greatly appreciated.

rgds
Old 07-01-2001, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm a junky with a big monkey on my back constantly looking for the next fix. I attended my first school about a year ago and have been to 4 so far with my 99SE. I'd recommend trying the full R-4 before giving up on Porterfield. Stopping power is outstanding and I've never had problems with fade. They look like they're good for about 3 weekends.

Which tracks have you driven? Putnam, IRP? I lived in St. Louis until recently and have been to Gateway (twice), Memphis and Heartland Park - Topeka. It's kinda fun driving a sleeper like the Maxima. Some of the Porsche and BMW guys look down their nose at it at first. It's fun chasing them down and finally getting the "point by" in a family sedan.