General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Which detector would you pick after ready the latest radar test??
V1
43.33%
Passport 8500
38.33%
Bel 980
11.67%
K40
6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Radar Detector Test--->> NEW!!--->>

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 01:07 PM

www.speedzones.com

Which detector would you buy??
Old 06-18-2001, 01:34 PM

heh

i got the bel 980, #1 because it works awesome, and #2 because its half the price of the V1 (well close, i got it new for a lil over $200)
Old 06-18-2001, 01:49 PM

I've owned the Bel 980 and Passport. I highly recommend both.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
I've owned the Bel 980 and Passport. I highly recommend both.
Bel 950 is cheaper but has same electronics - just a few less features that you don't really need anyway. And you can disable the voice - thank God.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I currently own both a V1 and a Bell 980. The v1 is in the max and the 980 in my truck (2001 ford 250 superduty) This past weekend I took the truck and family to Daytona Beach, 4.5 hours away and the 980 stayed home and the V1 went into the truck....need I say more. The V1 is a much better unit. I feel the V1 has better Ka sensitivity and that is 90% of what I encounter around here. I dont care what the test says. The V1 is my pick. The direction arrows also help alot to know when the threat has passed instead of guessing. My V1 is a year old and bell is 6 months. V1 is the best.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:28 PM

should have tried the 8500

<sarcasm>

I think you should sell that Bel and put a Passport 8500 in your truck; then you could see what a real radar detector can do

<sarcasm/>

My vote? 8500 and then V1 closely behind. The 8500 will beat the V1 hands down in Ka!
Old 06-18-2001, 05:59 PM

Re: heh

I have the Bel 950.. I wouldn't mind switching to the Passport..

Originally posted by Nine7Max
i got the bel 980, #1 because it works awesome, and #2 because its half the price of the V1 (well close, i got it new for a lil over $200)
Old 06-18-2001, 06:02 PM

Actually the 980 has a better-->>

Ka range than the 950, IIRC.

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Bel 950 is cheaper but has same electronics - just a few less features that you don't really need anyway. And you can disable the voice - thank God.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:52 PM

I will go with experience with the V1 over reports any day. . . Although someone who has never used a detector might follow reports like that. While they say that the V1 doesn't detect anything with the hill test, I have had experiences with my detector where it has picked up radar approaching a hill from more than a 1/2 mile away on a wide open freeway with very few cars. As for the other stuff. . . The others could detect something from further, but I think 1.7 miles is more than enough to get slowed down and not have to drive at the speed limit for an annoying amount of time. . . At that distance I don't think it really matters which one is better as most of them give you enough time to react. The only thing I can say that I dislike about the V1 is that it does false a lot, but you learn pretty quickly what is real and what isn't and the location arrows and number of potential radars features are really useful and most who have use it would say it is great to have. . . I know others may have different opinions and that is fine as we all have different tastes, but this test doesn't show me anything that would make me want to switch.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:34 PM
The missing moderator

Even according to this test, the V1 is still a very very good detector.

A quote from the evaluation: "We found the Passport 8500 "the pick of the litter" with the most useful, radar detection features. The 8500 gives dogged, predictable, performance and retrieves all radar signals, like a "Blue Ribbon" winning Labrador Retriever. Its performance was ferocious and its packaging is exemplary. We loved the Bel 980¡¦s immediacy of alerts and volume level with voice. It¡¦s tenacious performance makes it a vigilant radar watch dog. When the Bel 980 barks..believe it! The Valentine One still is a top detection dog for front and unequalled rear reception with its patented rear facing antenna and unique directional arrows. It lets you know where the prey is hiding. Any of these three are 'Best In Class.' "

Most reviews do not like the V1 for these reasons:
1) size
2) features

But as far as detection, the V1 is usually on top along with the passport.

-Shing
Old 06-18-2001, 08:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

One question......

where is the best area to mount the detector?? I've got mine mounted right under the rear view mirror(since I'm using the map lights for power), but do you get better "response" if it is mounted lower on the windsheild or higher(like I have it)?? just wondering
Old 06-18-2001, 09:37 PM

I'm wondering...

I know it's illegal, but how many of you run w/ detectors in VA?? I live in MD, but work all over VA, and would love to get a radar detector unit, but am paranoid about getting seen and stopped for having one in the windshield...and I'm thinking there's no point in having it if I have to take it down every time I cross the VA state line.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:14 PM

Im happy with my $100 Whistler it picks up everything
Old 06-19-2001, 05:35 AM

Re: I'm wondering...

I don't take mine down but I don't drive in VA very often or very long... Actually it is illegal for you to have it connected to a power source in VA.. #;>)

Originally posted by The_quorum
I know it's illegal, but how many of you run w/ detectors in VA?? I live in MD, but work all over VA, and would love to get a radar detector unit, but am paranoid about getting seen and stopped for having one in the windshield...and I'm thinking there's no point in having it if I have to take it down every time I cross the VA state line.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:33 AM

DA-MAX --

i read somewhere that it is best to put the detector lower on the car instead of having it up so high. it used to be good to put the detector high up (i.e. up by the rear view mirror) because it would give the detector the best view of the road ahead. however, now with laser guns out there with their super narrow beam, the best place to put the detector is down by the dash, to put it closer to the license plate (which is what the laser gunners aim for). f it were up by the rearview mirror, your detector might not even see the laser as it hits your license plate.

i put my passport 8500 in the center of the windshield, just above the center vents, with the detector just peeking above the windshield blades. so far so good, the detector seems to like it ok.

dfwmax
Old 06-19-2001, 07:37 AM

If you read the report on how the dectectors-->>

did against laser you'll realize it doesn't matter where you put it since non detected the presence of laser until too late.

Originally posted by DFWmax
DA-MAX --

i read somewhere that it is best to put the detector lower on the car instead of having it up so high. it used to be good to put the detector high up (i.e. up by the rear view mirror) because it would give the detector the best view of the road ahead. however, now with laser guns out there with their super narrow beam, the best place to put the detector is down by the dash, to put it closer to the license plate (which is what the laser gunners aim for). f it were up by the rearview mirror, your detector might not even see the laser as it hits your license plate.

i put my passport 8500 in the center of the windshield, just above the center vents, with the detector just peeking above the windshield blades. so far so good, the detector seems to like it ok.

dfwmax
Old 06-19-2001, 08:00 AM

i know the chances of catching a laser beam off-axis is really small. but wouldn't you at least want to know that you were being lasered? if the detector were at the dash level, instead of being up by the rear view mirror, i would think since the dash-mounted one is closer to the license plate, you would have a greater chance of your detector signalling that you were being lasered. 18" at 500 feet. if that were centered on your license plate, you only have 9 inches left to cover the grille, and the hood slope, and maybe your detector (maybe).

some questions i have about the tests --

o what do they mean that the laser beam doesnt scatter or bounce off of metal and mirrors? that's not true, all light reflects off of anything that we can see (that's how we see!). just because we can't see infrared with our eyes doesnt mean that it doesnt go scattering all over the place.

o we know for a fact that the laser beam is very narrow. the test they did had the targeted car at 700 feet, and the detector at 1.5 miles away?? yeah, i wouldnt expect the detector to see it either. they didnt explain whether the all the cars were in-line, or how much off angle the detector is from the beam from the laser gun. how about a test if there were a group of cars, much like what real-life hi-way driving is like. the cop lasers the front car. if i were the second or third car (25-75 feet behind), would my detector go off?? that way, i could slow down, or position myself to be less targetable...

from my experience, i have only been lasered about 5 times (of course, i could have been lasered a lot more, and just not know about it). once i wasnt speeding too much (maybe 5mph above), and a cop was on the center median. i was maybe about 500 feet from him, and my detector went off. i am not sure what he was aiming at, but if it was my license plate, my detector was close enough. my story doesnt prove anything, its just a story.... two of the other times were cops at accident scenes (can they leave their laser on all the time?), and the other times, i didnt know where it came from (kinda scary).

dfwmax
Old 06-19-2001, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
www.speedzones.com

Which detector would you buy??
None, I have had my Whistler for about 6 years and she has saved me everytime. It's the one with the screen and safety radar built in.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:39 AM

Actually it doesn't matter-->>

When I get hit by laser it's too late so me know that I got hit or not doesn't really matter..

Dash mounted detectors my be blocked by the windshield wipers is my only "beef" with mounting it there. I keep my detector low(center above the windshield wipers) since 2 of the three areas I travel thru daily have radar dectors listed as illegal to use. When I travel out of state I place it alot higher on the windshield.

The rest of you argument you'll have to take up with the testers.. I'm not sure if your looking for fault in the test like most V1'rs are but I'm sure if you send an email to the testers you'll get a response..

When police use laser they use an optical sight then they aim it at your license plate(normally) then the pull the trigger to activate the laser. That light is reflected back to the laser gun and calibrated(in less that 1 second). Meanwhile a piece of that beam 18" wide has bounced forward not only back to the laser gun for calibration but also to street signs facing you which may or may not be in direct line of sight of your radar detector. In essence if your lucky the stray beam will hit your dectector directly but in most cases it my just continue on down the road and bounce of a Altezza tailight going the opposite direction down the highway..LOL!!

i know the chances of catching a laser beam off-axis is really small. but wouldn't you at least want to know that you were being lasered? if the detector were at the dash level, instead of being up by the rear view mirror, i would think since the dash-mounted one is closer to the license plate, you would have a greater chance of your detector signalling that you were being lasered. 18" at 500 feet. if that were centered on your license plate, you only have 9 inches left to cover the grille, and the hood slope, and maybe your detector (maybe).

some questions i have about the tests --

o what do they mean that the laser beam doesnt scatter or bounce off of metal and mirrors? that's not true, all light reflects off of anything that we can see (that's how we see!). just because we can't see infrared with our eyes doesnt mean that it doesnt go scattering all over the place.

o we know for a fact that the laser beam is very narrow. the test they did had the targeted car at 700 feet, and the detector at 1.5 miles away?? yeah, i wouldnt expect the detector to see it either. they didnt explain whether the all the cars were in-line, or how much off angle the detector is from the beam from the laser gun. how about a test if there were a group of cars, much like what real-life hi-way driving is like. the cop lasers the front car. if i were the second or third car (25-75 feet behind), would my detector go off?? that way, i could slow down, or position myself to be less targetable...

from my experience, i have only been lasered about 5 times (of course, i could have been lasered a lot more, and just not know about it). once i wasnt speeding too much (maybe 5mph above), and a cop was on the center median. i was maybe about 500 feet from him, and my detector went off. i am not sure what he was aiming at, but if it was my license plate, my detector was close enough. my story doesnt prove anything, its just a story.... two of the other times were cops at accident scenes (can they leave their laser on all the time?), and the other times, i didnt know where it came from (kinda scary).

dfwmax
Old 06-19-2001, 12:29 PM

I got two tics with the bel, but it seems to work well, I heard the V1 is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

in most cases it my just continue on down the road and bounce of a Altezza tailight going the opposite direction down the highway..LOL!!
so those tails are good for something afterall!?
Old 06-19-2001, 01:39 PM

Washington DC Max --

thanks for the input/info. i'm not trying to raise a beef about the test, i just was wondering what it would be like on a more realistic scenario.

while we are on the topic of radar detectors, what happens when you get pulled over for speeding, and you have your radar detector? it hasnt happened to me yet (crossing fingers). ive heard stories that the cops are a lot meaner if they see that you have a detector. should you yank everything off the window and shove it under the seat? its not illegal here in texas.

how about some cool ideas for detectors.

o how about a "light pipe" (i.e. fiber optic cable) that you can run from your license plate area, and plug it into the side of the detector? that way you dont have to have an extra sensor on the outside that can be stolen. and running fiber should be just as easy as running electrical.

o i'd like to see a "learning" detector. on my drive to work, there are always three spots that the detector falses. im an engineer, but not in rf, but if these individual signals can somehow be "characterized", then maybe the detector can be told to ignore those specific signals. i could have a "ignore" button that i could hit once whenever i get those known fake signals. even better, integrate gps into the thing and that way it will know where it is when to expect the signal to ignore.....

ok, enough dreaming. everyone print this post out and put it in an envelope and date it and lock it up -- if these things come out in the future, i'll need you maxima bros to back me up when i go to collect on royalties..

dfwmax
Old 06-19-2001, 02:16 PM

LOL!! Sounds like someone is in the wrong field of work-->>

Great Ideas!!

Well I've been caught in VA(Illegal) twice with a radar detector. Both times I was speeding.. The first scenario I was kinda lost and following my date's directions(which were last mininute "turn here and theres"). So she was like get of at this exit.. So I stepped on it instead of slowing down to try and get over.. Meahwhile a VA trooper was entering the HWY and saw me speeding(Not using radar) and tried to pace me.. Anyway I pull over..."Do you know you were doing 80" I don't incriminate by agreeing so I stayed silent.. He comes back with a ticket or warning(I can't remember(if it was a ticket it must have been for 1 point which doesn't have any bearing on my insurance) but as he give me my citation he notices my Uniden(this was a few years ago so don't laugh#;>)) in the windshield(located as I describe to you in the previous post) and says is that a radar detector?? I said yes but I didn't have it on. He was like turn it on... I was like Awh Hell what is this some OJ sh#t..LOL!!!(in my mind) He and his partner proceed to test it and of course it worked. He then asked me if I wanted another ticket(so appearantly I did get a ticket). I told him no..yada..yada...yada.. I put it in the truck and he let me go with just one ticket.

So he was kinda blown when he saw the detector like "damn I gotta write this MF'r another ticket?? I reduced his speed on the Citation as it is" You shoulda seen his face.. Hmmm I wonder what mine looked like?? Prolly like this "Damn this MF'rs gonna write me another ticket!!" LOL!!

The second time the trooper shinned his flashlight on it but didn't say one word or express any emotion.. I was doing 80 but he let me go..

But when it's in a legal state..I say F' them!!

Washington DC Max --

thanks for the input/info. i'm not trying to raise a beef about the test, i just was wondering what it would be like on a more realistic scenario.

while we are on the topic of radar detectors, what happens when you get pulled over for speeding, and you have your radar detector? it hasnt happened to me yet (crossing fingers). ive heard stories that the cops are a lot meaner if they see that you have a detector. should you yank everything off the window and shove it under the seat? its not illegal here in texas.

how about some cool ideas for detectors.

o how about a "light pipe" (i.e. fiber optic cable) that you can run from your license plate area, and plug it into the side of the detector? that way you dont have to have an extra sensor on the outside that can be stolen. and running fiber should be just as easy as running electrical.

o i'd like to see a "learning" detector. on my drive to work, there are always three spots that the detector falses. im an engineer, but not in rf, but if these individual signals can somehow be "characterized", then maybe the detector can be told to ignore those specific signals. i could have a "ignore" button that i could hit once whenever i get those known fake signals. even better, integrate gps into the thing and that way it will know where it is when to expect the signal to ignore.....

ok, enough dreaming. everyone print this post out and put it in an envelope and date it and lock it up -- if these things come out in the future, i'll need you maxima bros to back me up when i go to collect on royalties..

dfwmax
Old 06-19-2001, 03:21 PM

I remember being in Alexandria, VA when I pulled over to call my cousin so he could give me directions to his house and an officer pulls up to see if I was ok. I forgot all about the laws down. He asked me if everything was ok and I said "Yes". Then he saw the radar on the visor and said "Do you know those are illegal down here?" I was like "Oh", and and ripped the thing down and threw it into the back seat. He didn't give me a ticket tho so that was cool.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:01 PM

once i get my V1 i plan to dis-assemble it and install it into my car... ie put the brain of it where the Clock is, and put the antennae next to the rear view mirror.... that will make it just that much harder for anyone to know what i have.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:04 PM
CTalbott

V-1 and 8500

I would choose the V-1 over the passport 8500 not because of what I have read on the testing of the two radar detectors, but because I own both detectors and have tested thier effectiveness on many trips. I own the new V-1 with the 1.8 version software upgrad and smaller size. I own the new passport 8500 also. After running both detectors seperatly in the same vehicle at the same location in the vehicle the V-1 finds K, Ka and Lasar at a greater range and the direction arrows on the V-1 are something if you ever use the detector you will not want to be with out.
The 8500 is a good detector and if it were not for the new V-1 would be my top choice.

Old 12-16-2001, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Re: V-1 and 8500

this thread was created before the 1.8 came out..

Originally posted by CTalbott
I would choose the V-1 over the passport 8500 not because of what I have read on the testing of the two radar detectors, but because I own both detectors and have tested thier effectiveness on many trips. I own the new V-1 with the 1.8 version software upgrad and smaller size. I own the new passport 8500 also. After running both detectors seperatly in the same vehicle at the same location in the vehicle the V-1 finds K, Ka and Lasar at a greater range and the direction arrows on the V-1 are something if you ever use the detector you will not want to be with out.
The 8500 is a good detector and if it were not for the new V-1 would be my top choice.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:04 PM

V-1

The only problem with the V1 is that damn thing is size of my head. I can't stand having 3 or 4 cars convoying behind me and making me stick out like a sore thumb. Get your own damn radar detector! I can hide the Bel a little better.

I know you can get the optional light attachment for the V1, but geez, you are already spending $400.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:47 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: V-1

Originally posted by CRMax
The only problem with the V1 is that damn thing is size of my head. I can't stand having 3 or 4 cars convoying behind me and making me stick out like a sore thumb. Get your own damn radar detector! I can hide the Bel a little better.

I know you can get the optional light attachment for the V1, but geez, you are already spending $400.
The new V1 is smaller than the passport and lighter.

Old 12-16-2001, 07:57 PM

cant compare...

I'm on my first detector, and it's the new V1. The most impressive thing I've experienced with it is having been at one end of this mile long straight stretch of highway with a sharp curve at the other end. I was the only visible car on the road, but the detector went off full steam. A few seconds later, a cop car comes rolling around the bend. The curve he was coming from was a slow, almost 90 degree turn. I was amazed. All my other hits too were well before there was any visible sign of a police car anywhere.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:11 AM

This is a good thread. I have been intrested in picking one up. So any idea which your getting yet?

SuDZ
Old 12-17-2001, 01:24 AM

Valentine One just came out with a new version of their detector that is smaller, lighter, and has better sensitivity. It's called Version 1.8. Get it...V1 owns joo!
Old 12-17-2001, 07:39 AM

LOL

LOL!! So did escot/passport it's better than all detectors according to speedzones.com and it not the 8500... But it cost to damn much just as the V1..

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Valentine One just came out with a new version of their detector that is smaller, lighter, and has better sensitivity. It's called Version 1.8. Get it...V1 owns joo!
Old 12-17-2001, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Re: LOL

LOL!! So did escot/passport it's better than all detectors according to speedzones.com and it not the 8500... But it cost to damn much just as the V1..

stop being cheap.. the amount of road trips you make.. you should have one of your "garden tools " buy you a v1 by now
Old 12-17-2001, 08:43 AM

Re: Re: LOL

The new V1 has not been proven to have the best range and I'm not trippin off "Arrows". The day I get a ticket for not having Arrows on my detector will be the day I get a V1...

I hear beap I slow down.. not "hmmm let me analyze where this radar is coming from. Ahhhh it's ahead of me, nope to the left, noo to the right" Who cares Slow the F' down and wait till the beeps deminish.

Originally posted by SprintMax
stop being cheap.. the amount of road trips you make.. you should have one of your "garden tools " buy you a v1 by now
Old 12-17-2001, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: LOL

The new V1 has not been proven to have the best range and I'm not trippin off "Arrows". The day I get a ticket for not having Arrows on my detector will be the day I get a V1...

I hear beap I slow down.. not "hmmm let me analyze where this radar is coming from. Ahhhh it's ahead of me, nope to the left, noo to the right" Who cares Slow the F' down and wait till the beeps deminish.

Yea...that's a great policy....until you've got a state tropper travelling a mile behind you going the same direction as you...and you keep getting little blips when he "instant on's" the cars going the other way...now your little 8500 has become pretty much useless....
Old 12-17-2001, 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: LOL

The problem with that is this;
very sensitive detectors, like the Bel,Excort and V1, pick up alot of signals, some of which are false. With the arrows, the V1 can help you better determine which ones are false. If you slowed down for every beep, you'd wind up going slower than all the cars that don't even have radar detectors.

DW

Old 12-17-2001, 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

LOL!! The arrows can tell me what signals are false...LOL!!

If and when I'm on the road (long trips) and I'm doing ~85 and 90 no trooper is gonna be catching up to me. Why would a trooper be doing 95+ just for the hell of it?? I drive very often and have yet to see see that happen.. Even if he was behind me I'd just slow down after all I am speeding it's no big deal to slow down I just lift off the Accelerator he passes me I follow.... Don't slow down for K or Ka band on the east coast while on I95(x band if in jersey) and see what happens..LOL!!

If it beeps, I slow down.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The problem with that is this;
very sensitive detectors, like the Bel,Excort and V1, pick up alot of signals, some of which are false. With the arrows, the V1 can help you better determine which ones are false. If you slowed down for every beep, you'd wind up going slower than all the cars that don't even have radar detectors.

DW

Old 12-17-2001, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

. . . .If and when I'm on the road (long trips) and I'm doing ~85 and 90 no trooper is gonna be catching up to me.
I'd live to drive on the roads you drive, cause where I drive, 85-95 or whatever, they're going after you. And if they don't, they'll just radio ahead.

. .. Why would a trooper be doing 95+ just for the hell of it??
You tell me, I didn't say they'd be flying just for the heck of it.

If it beeps, I slow down.
I wish it were that simple. I remember the days when there was only X and K bands, and there was no such thing as instant on radar. Radar detector cars absolutely RULED. I had a cobra trapshooter back then, and I was loving life on my road trips.

DW
Old 12-17-2001, 03:34 PM

im getting a radar detector for christmas but its not gonna be one of the expensive ones... im sure it will still be better than nothing... one time coming home from the poconos i was driving my friends car with him and my cousin also in it.. i flew the whole way home doing 90-100 and i felt more confident because he had a good radar detector

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Test--->> NEW!!--->>