General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

anyone tried "nitrogen" for your tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 PM

that last quote is the best! ahahaa
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 AM

I put helium in my tires. Makes the car lighter and shaves 1 x 10^-9 off my 17 second track time.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:10 PM

ive had nitrogen in my tires for about 1 year i think. I noticed the tire pressure does not vary in relation to the temperature. When i had normal air in my tires i noticed id loose some pressure over some time, maybe 1-2psi most likely due to temperature changes, but with the nitrogen its been the same 32psi since i got them.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 PM

i know it has nothing to do with a maxima but i know trophy trucks down in baja use nitrogen in there tires
Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
NOOB

back from the dead.

same 34 psi for almost a year now. This is the second time I check my tires.

So, this is recommended for those dont check their tires often.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:09 PM
JFP in PA

Originally Posted by ktranne
has anyone tried to put nitrogen in your tire rather than air? I heard that it would help

_lower heat transfer
_less air loss
_less variations from heat/cold to psi
_increase tire life, tread life
_and good gas mileage

Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
dumbass
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jime
I just had my slicks filled with nitrogen as well as my skinnies for the rear. They also filled up my 5 gal air pig to 125psi to top up as necessary.

Going to the track tomorrow so I will see if they change pressure when heated up etc.
Did you purge the tank? Draw a vacuum first ..., then there is still 02 in the tank ... Most tires will still have 02 in the fill because they don't vacuum out the air in the tire, ever try to draw a vacuum on a tire during install!
I do believe in the N2 for tire inflation though, everybody should be using it!!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
BARF

I work at a tire store in WA and the only advantage to nitrogen is if you have chrome wheels or if your state has EXTREME heat changes from day to day. This is because nitrogen dose not contain as much condinsation as regular air so it stops crome peal. Chrome peal is the leading cause in bead leaks, which then you have to buy a new wheel. As a org member you check your tires on a regular bases I imagin, so you have no need to use nitrogen. All the other things you listed up there like tire life, heat transfer, better gas mileage this is all related to propper air pressure. The biggest problem we have as a tire bisness is people not checking there air enough, so this was the solution that came up for the adverage person out there. You will get all of those things you listed without nitrogen if you just check your tires.

You may remember the Firerstone recall a couple years back on fords. This was not ford's or firestone's fault, It was the consumers fault. After testing they found out that the tires where coming appart only when run at a low pressure. So they took the findings to Washington, and a bill was passed that all new vehicles had to have TPMS (tire pressure monitering system) no matter what make or model by september of 2007. Ford and Firestone where just the unlucky ones and had to pay out millions in losses. This is part of the reason they came out with nitrogen also. Its for those older vehickles without TPMS, and the adverage person.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 AM

I have been using nitrogen since last July and I can assure you my rims and tires hold air pressure much better then when I was using compressed air!

Of course I live in Vegas where in summer it can get up to 120 deg F. just sitting in heavy freeway traffic. In winter the temp occasionally falls in the
20's. So my experience with nitrogen has gone thru a 100 deg F differential.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
BARF

i30krab thats exactly what im talking about now theres some state's that its a good idea to run nitrogen. do a exparament for me please, when your car has been sitting for a bit and the tires are cold chack the pressure. Then drive down the freeway a bit to get them hot and check it again. Im interested to see what the difference is. dont go out of your way to do it just maybe one day you are going some where that requires freeway some driving.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard
i30krab thats exactly what im talking about now theres some state's that its a good idea to run nitrogen. do a exparament for me please, when your car has been sitting for a bit and the tires are cold chack the pressure. Then drive down the freeway a bit to get them hot and check it again. Im interested to see what the difference is. dont go out of your way to do it just maybe one day you are going some where that requires freeway some driving.
Will do..............................................
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM

All you need to know:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html
Old 06-17-2007, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by i30krab
Will do..............................................
Finally got around to testing nitrogen in tires on a trip.

I drove 800 miles, speeds 10 - 100 MPH
Temperatures, 65- 118 degrees

Air pressure front wheels 40 PSI before trip, after trip 39 lbs

Air pressure back wheels 38 PSI before trip, after trip 37.5 lbs

I had an extra 300 lbs in the car during this trip!

I think the nitrogen held up extremely well, but of course I don't know how regular air would have done.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by gdoug
Interesting thread. I drove an '07 SE yesterday and the dealer expounded on the fact that they now put nitrogen in all cars on their lot. I would be concerned with having to find nitrogen to change tire pressures, etc, if I had or wanted to or have a flat repaired some remote place. Actually, I didn't notice any difference in the ride, but then I was really so fascinated by the Xtronic CVT transmission. If you love to feel the shift of your automatic forget this tranny. Or, I guess you can always use the manual option. I just may get one of these '07s.
BLASPHEMER! GET HIM!!! *starts to construct a stake and gather material for burning*

(in reference to buying anything but a stick)
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 AM

i bought a ranger that already had nitrogen in the tires. its a total piece of crap though, so i cannot offer any useful info...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Where can you find places that have nitogen? (besides Costco)
Old 06-18-2007, 08:10 PM

After a year of tests, I'm more than confident that this is just slick marketing. I filled my tires a year ago with plain old air. Since then, I've checked the pressure under various conditions. So far, no detectable change. I used 3 different gauges to verify my results. They are all accurate to +/- 0.5 psi.

Of course, I haven't been driving around at 200 mph for hours or trying to stop a 15 ton jumbo jet that goes through 1000's ft of elevation changes, so I can't speak for those applications. However, for normal driving, I wouldn't pay or worry about whether I had nitrogen in my tires.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jphoto
I'm not sure how this nitrogen fad got started, but it's pretty much like putting F1-sized spoilers on the back of Hyundai Accents. Harmless but identifies you as a dork.
So it's possible to tell by looking whether someone has pure nitrogen or atmospheric air in their tires?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
at MAX tire pressure on the sidewall, won't that result in a 'bubbling' of the center of the tread and uneven wear?

Yep, most likely.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM

so i was sitting in chem class in college and my professor rambles on about nitrogen in car tires. he said it was the dumbest thing in the world to pay $40 for something that doesnt do anything. there are no advantages to switching to nitrogen, and apparently it makes it worse. he went through some chemical detailed discussion that i dont remember but he gave a million reasons why it's a big scam
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 AM

Instead of spending $ on nitrogen, more of a benefit would be to make sure the air going into the tire has as little moisture/humidity as possible.

I try to us my Scuba tank to fill my tires whenever possible as the air is 100% dry. Or go to a gas station that has a compressor that has a moisture filter (almost all do to keep water out of the air storage tank). Also, this applies to humid areas. Somewhere like Vegas the moisture in the tire is probably not a big issue.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by claudiusmaximas
so i was sitting in chem class in college and my professor rambles on about nitrogen in car tires. he said it was the dumbest thing in the world to pay $40 for something that doesnt do anything. there are no advantages to switching to nitrogen, and apparently it makes it worse. he went through some chemical detailed discussion that i dont remember but he gave a million reasons why it's a big scam
Sorry to inform you but most college level professors are left leaning liberal morons. Tell him to stick to the periodic table and shut the hell up!!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 PM

Costco fills the tires with it. At first I used to go back to fill it up with that nonsence when the weather changed and the pressure dropped. I now I just fill it with good old air.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Simply put:

Advantages:

Nitrogen's molicules do not seep through the rubber as easilly as air does.
Nitrogen does not corode your tires (air does but not enough to matter)
Nitrogen does not react to tempature as much as air does.

Disadvatages:

PITA to find and almost impossible to find for free.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Simply put:

Advantages:

Nitrogen's molicules do not seep through the rubber as easilly as air does.
Nitrogen does not corode your tires (air does but not enough to matter)
Nitrogen does not react to tempature as much as air does.

Disadvatages:

PITA to find and almost impossible to find for free.
100% nitrogen is not difficult to come by if you know a few facts. All you need is an air pump. Air is 80% nitrogen. Since you claim that nitrogen does not seep through rubber as easily as air, when your tire loses 20% of its pressure, it is the non-nitrogen gases that leak out first, leaving you with 100% nitrogen in your tires. If you simply overinflate your tires by 20%, then once the 20% non-nitrogen leaks out, you will be left with 100% nitrogen in your tires at the proper pressure. Voila!

Or by the same principle, every time you top off the pressure in your tire, you are inching closer and closer to having 100% nitrogen in your tires.

Of course, as I said above, my experience is that these "advantages" are BS for street driving. And if the corrosion is not enough to matter, then should it really still be listed as an advantage? Besides, worrying about protecting the inside of the tire, while the outside is exposed to acid rain, ozone, UV, etc. is just plain moronic.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
G35

i like regular air.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by A33Black
Instead of spending $ on nitrogen, more of a benefit would be to make sure the air going into the tire has as little moisture/humidity as possible.

I try to us my Scuba tank to fill my tires whenever possible as the air is 100% dry. Or go to a gas station that has a compressor that has a moisture filter (almost all do to keep water out of the air storage tank). Also, this applies to humid areas. Somewhere like Vegas the moisture in the tire is probably not a big issue.
My shop has compressors with aftercoolers that are supposed to minimize the moisture. But it still gets through. They should just take whatever equipment they use to get moisture out of the nitrogen tanks and use it with regular air.