General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

anyone tried "nitrogen" for your tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:54 PM
NOOB

anyone tried "nitrogen" for your tires

has anyone tried to put nitrogen in your tire rather than air? I heard that it would help

_lower heat transfer
_less air loss
_less variations from heat/cold to psi
_increase tire life, tread life
_and good gas mileage
Old 06-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

people use it at the track for some of the following reasons.
how does it increase tire life and gas mileage tho?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ktranne
has anyone tried to put nitrogen in your tire rather than air? I heard that it would help

_lower heat transfer
_less air loss
_and good gas mileage
you can do all that without switching to nitrogen. By inflating your tires to max sidewall pressure it will increase tire life, less chance of a blowout, and better gas mileage due to less rolling resistence. As the pressure increases it makes the sidewall stiffer. When the sidewall is stiffer there is less rolling resistence which increases your gas mileage.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

_lower heat transfer
_less air loss
_and good gas mileage
THATS POINTLESS, unless you plan on driving 180 all the time, the advantage from air to nitrogen is at high speeds your tire pressure doesn't change.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
you can do all that without switching to nitrogen. By inflating your tires to max sidewall pressure it will increase tire life, less chance of a blowout, and better gas mileage due to less rolling resistence. As the pressure increases it makes the sidewall stiffer. When the sidewall is stiffer there is less rolling resistence which increases your gas mileage.

at MAX tire pressure on the sidewall, won't that result in a 'bubbling' of the center of the tread and uneven wear?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 AM

yeah, not to mention feeling like you're driving on cobblestones and really crappy traction
Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM

isn't normal air around 70% nitrogen anyway?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 PM

_lower heat transfer
_less air loss
_and good gas mileage
In addition, I read that nitrogen has 2 more advantages since it doesn't carry the humidity that regular air has. Found this via Google.

Elimination of Oxidation - oxygen in air is highly reactive at high pressures and temperatures. Replacing air with dry nitrogen helps eliminate oxidation that damages inner liners and belt packages.

Reducing Road Hazard Issues Due to Tire Failures - without the oxidation and excessive heat, tire failures can be significantly reduced.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

Hey there, I work as a tech @ a Toyota dealer, and I happened to drive a 2000ish Land Cruiser w/ nitrogen in the tires...seemed like the ride quality was stiffer (land cruisers usually have a very nice ride). Seemed a little more harsh, almost like it had 50 psi of air in the tires. IIRC the N2 pressure was only like 29 psi. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Plus, doesn't it cost $ to get yer tires filled w/ N2?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 PM

I had it put in my tires...and it feels exactly the same.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 PM

costco fills the tires with nitrogen when they install the tires.

i brought my last set of tires there to be mounted. its a pain in the **** when you just want to get your tires pumped to the right pressure because you have to take it to them to do it.

other than that i didnt really feel a difference.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
at MAX tire pressure on the sidewall, won't that result in a 'bubbling' of the center of the tread and uneven wear?
I'm pretty sure my tires say 44+ as the maximum inflation pressure, I think that would be foolish to pump them that high, and right, the center will wear first. Actually, I think I was overinflated at something like 37 cold, so it may have been 40-41 hot when I hit a major pothole. There is NO damage to the tire but the rim got bent. Makes me realize first-hand how soft the aluminum is, and when you're dippin' on 40's that are pumped the stress goes right to the wheel's lip.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 AM

I have had nitrogen in my tires.. its excellent the reason I was told that it was benefital over air was that it leaked slower than air. The downside is i found when I went to a gas station to check my air pressure it read wrong on the gauge as the gauge would read to high like 45psi instead of 35 etc Tyreshop disagreed with me though as I had one tyre which looked and felt flat when driving but their gauge said it was on a good psi (found it flat the next day)
Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 PM

The center doesn't wear out. You guys shouldn't pay attention to somebody that doesn't know anything about cars. I always do things my way, even though I get advice first. I had my tires for 10k+ at max tire pressure and my center is not wearing out.

There are even some police stations that drive on max sidewall pressure because it saves them gas. So those police departments are "foolish"?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Hoooper

well you have to have the "right" pressure otherwise it wears on the outside(underinflated) or the middle(overinflated) so i guess your max press is just right, if you went lower it would wear on the outside. as for the nitrogen, an advantage that i know of is that it tends to keep pressure for much longer than just air.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:32 AM

Just keep your tires properly inflated and don't worry about nitrogen. It's a non-issue with no benefits at all unless you drive at a level that you're dressed in a flame-retardent suit and wear a helmet (or are an aircraft pilot). Service managers, however, are extremely happy to charge you money for the "service", much like "rust-proofing" and "$120 car mats".

I'm not sure how this nitrogen fad got started, but it's pretty much like putting F1-sized spoilers on the back of Hyundai Accents. Harmless but identifies you as a dork.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:27 AM

Most dealerships have a nitrogen machines now. Alot of shops like pepboys is going to be getting them to. My dad had nitro filled in his tires and I can't tell the diff.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 AM

I'm sure many of our members have a compressor in their garage to fill their tires, including myself. I check my pressure in the AM when tires are cold, what good is it to run down to a shop with hot tires and get nitrogen?

I wonder if you can buy nitrogen for your own use?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

I just had my slicks filled with nitrogen as well as my skinnies for the rear. They also filled up my 5 gal air pig to 125psi to top up as necessary.

Going to the track tomorrow so I will see if they change pressure when heated up etc.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by i30krab
I'm sure many of our members have a compressor in their garage to fill their tires, including myself. I check my pressure in the AM when tires are cold, what good is it to run down to a shop with hot tires and get nitrogen?

BEST ADVICE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I check mine at around 6-7am, after that the sun hits my car and I get inaccurate readings.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 AM

From what I have been told, the advantages to running nitrogen on the street are because of it's molecular qualities. IIRC a molecule of nitrogen is approx. 10x the size of a molecule of oxygen. If you get a nail stuck in the tire with nitrogen, you can simply leave it in and you will have nuch longer before nitrogen leaks b/c the molecules are too large to escape through small holes.

As far as the better gas mileage is concerned, I believe it is because the nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen, but less dense, taking much less nitrogen to fill the tire than oxygen. Less unsprung weight = better mileage, but we are probably not even talking significant differences on the street, maybe 1-2 mpg.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I have just been reading about this for a while, and I like to understand this stuff before I even consider doing it.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interesting thread. I drove an '07 SE yesterday and the dealer expounded on the fact that they now put nitrogen in all cars on their lot. I would be concerned with having to find nitrogen to change tire pressures, etc, if I had or wanted to or have a flat repaired some remote place. Actually, I didn't notice any difference in the ride, but then I was really so fascinated by the Xtronic CVT transmission. If you love to feel the shift of your automatic forget this tranny. Or, I guess you can always use the manual option. I just may get one of these '07s.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
excatly, plus when u drive for a while, in 90 degree weather, the pressure will be well above that max. if ut max pressure is 50 and recomended is about 33, id got to like 38-39
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 AM
"and falling like a rock"

Originally Posted by aznsap

UM YES!!! Thanks aznsap And it's closer to 80% of the air we breathe.

A breakdown of air is as follows:
78.09 % Nitrogen
20.95 % Oxygen
0 .93 % Argon
0 .033 % Carbondioxyde
0.0016 % Neon
0.00052 % Helium
0.00011 % Krypton
0.0001 % Hydrogen
0.000008 % Xenon (plus water vapours)

So switching the 21% of stuff in your tire with more nitrogen just won’t make that much difference numerically, at least when it comes to street use.

But of course people will believe what they believe so logic is not always used.

Plus I believe that all the arguments on tire wear are outdated and prolly thought of when bias ply tires were the norm. Modern radials don’t wear like those old tires.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by aznsap
Originally Posted by 89blackse
UM YES!!! Thanks aznsap And it's closer to 80% of the air we breathe.
both of your percentages are somewhat of the right answer, its 78% to be the correct answer lol sorry it was killing me sorry

oh sorry...

Originally Posted by 89blackse
A breakdown of air is as follows:
78.09 % Nitrogen
20.95 % Oxygen
0 .93 % Argon
0 .033 % Carbondioxyde
0.0016 % Neon
0.00052 % Helium
0.00011 % Krypton
0.0001 % Hydrogen
0.000008 % Xenon (plus water vapours)
sorry didnt read all your post i was too agitated to read all of it lol
Old 07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

Just to report my experience with using nitrogen in my slicks last weekend. I am now a believer, I didn't have to reduce my pressure all day and usually I am constantly adjusting using air, especially for the first 3 or 4 runs. Even with the sun shining on one side of the car the pressure didn't increase. My local shop charges me $4 to fill my 5 gal pig which should last for quite a while after experience on Sat.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Well I tried and liked nitrogen so much here in this hot vegas weather I decided to buy a cylinder and valving and now I have it in my garage!

I bought the bigger tank that holds 250 ft3.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:39 PM

just did a 24 hrs trip to Miami from RI and didn't see a diff. on my tires. I have nitrogen for 2 weeks now. Ride the same and pressure stay the same. But still to early to recommend to everybody.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 AM

Bought 4 tires at COSTCO about 2 weeks ago they fill with Nitrogen at no extra charge and will check and top them off also at no charge. Haven't noticed any change - but if they don't vary and leak like air would then it seems that the tires might wear better due to a consistant (proper) inflation.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
There are even some police stations that drive on max sidewall pressure because it saves them gas. So those police departments are "foolish"?
@ you placing barely literate, underpaid, and poorly managed high school grads on a pedestal of intelligence.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:44 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

is your implication that all police officers are dumb college drop outs? what the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:26 AM

Couldn't it be possible for the tires to explod?? What if you ran over a nail, it sparks when it hits the metal belts inside the tire.. KA-BOOM!! Nitrogen is much more combustable than oxygen
Old 07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12vVR6
Couldn't it be possible for the tires to explod?? What if you ran over a nail, it sparks when it hits the metal belts inside the tire.. KA-BOOM!! Nitrogen is much more combustable than oxygen
Do a little research before you make false statements.

Nitrogen (N2) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that makes up 78.09% (by volume) of the air we breathe. It is nonflammable and it will not support combustion. It is colorless, odorless and tasteless.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 PM

The benefits of having Nitrogen in the tires is that it is less prone to leakage and temperature change. Air also carries moisture and as the tires heat up, the water molecules move apart and cause the tire pressure to increase. because of this, the tires will always be at a constant pressure which leads to a more even tire wear and longer battery life. But then again, for the general masses, a simple check on the tire pressure every week will merit the same benefits.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DJ2Max
longer battery life

Originally Posted by Jime
Nitrogen (N2) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that makes up 78.09% (by volume) of the air we breathe. It is nonflammable and it will not support combustion. It is colorless, odorless and tasteless.
Originally Posted by DJ2Max
The benefits of having Nitrogen in the tires is that it is less prone to leakage and temperature change. Air also carries moisture and as the tires heat up, the water molecules move apart and cause the tire pressure to increase. because of this, the tires will always be at a constant pressure
In so many words, Nitrogen is inert.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hydrogen goes KABOOM......
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

H-bomb FTMFW!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 PM
NOOB

I think ALL Costco using Nitrogen now.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM

we dont use nitrogen at discount tire at this point in time...but maybe later, who knows
Old 08-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by AP
OPSHAM, Maine - Many motorists seeking to improve their mileage as gas prices soar this summer are examining everything — right down to the air in their tires. And for a growing number, plain old air isn't good enough.
ADVERTISEMENT

George Bourque of Fairfield is one of those who's driving around on tires filled with pure nitrogen, the same stuff that
NASCAR racers use.

Bourque, an engineer, said he has seen a 1 to 1.5 mile-per-gallon increase since he began filling his tires with nitrogen, which is touted as maintaining tire pressure longer and resisting heat buildup on hot summer days.

"I analyze everything," he said.

Nitrogen has been used for years in the tires of race cars, large commercial trucks, aircraft and even the space shuttle.

But it is finding its way into the mainstream at a growing number of tire dealers — including Costco Wholesale Corp.

Nationwide, fewer than 10 percent of tire dealers offer nitrogen, but the number is growing, said Bob Ulrich, editor of Modern Tire Dealer magazine in Akron, Ohio. Most dealers charge $2 to $5 per tire for the nitrogen fill-up, he said. The dealers generally offer free lifetime refills.

Bourque got his tires — filled with nitrogen — in Waterville, Maine at Tire Warehouse, which has 50 tire dealerships across New England. The nitrogen was part of an installation package when Bourque bought a set of tires.

Skeptics will question how much can be gained by filling tires with pure nitrogen when the air we breathe is 78 percent nitrogen.

The differences are subtle, but important, said Steve McGrath, Tire Warehouse's vice president of marketing in Keene, N.H.

Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules, so nitrogen seeps out more slowly from tires than air; nitrogen resists heat buildup better than air, which contains moisture; and nitrogen reduces oxidation, which can damage the tire from the inside out, proponents say. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so there are no safety or environmental issues.

Those advantages are important in vehicles equipped with tire pressure monitoring systems, which are sensitive to changes in tire pressure, McGrath said.

With or without nitrogen, proper inflation is the key to improving gas mileage. Motorists can improve gas mileage by 3.3 percent simply by keeping their tires properly inflated, according to the U.S.
Department of Energy.

In the real world, though, only 1 in 5 motorists check tire pressure regularly, according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association. Nitrogen, therefore, could have an advantage for those who don't check their tire pressure regularly.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has no opinion on nitrogen, but it does encourage motorists to keep their tires properly inflated, both for safety and to boost gas mileage, said spokesman Rae Tyson. Severely underinflated tires are dangerous, especially for sport utility vehicles and light trucks, Tyson noted.

Tire experts at Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, neither endorse nor object to the use of nitrogen in tires.

"Nitrogen is certainly safe to use in tires, and theoretically it does offer some benefits," spokesman Douglas Love said from Yonkers, N.Y.

For Bourque, his tire pressure remains constant — 40 pounds for his fully loaded truck — even on hot days when tire pressure normally fluctuates.

His gas mileage was about 19 mpg when he purchased his five-cylinder 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. Now, with the engine broken in and new tires filled with nitrogen, he gets 20.5 to 22 mpg depending on whether he runs the air conditioner, he said.

For tire dealers, the nitrogen generator and associated equipment typically runs between $3,000 and $12,000, Ulrich said.

Marty Mailhot, manager of the Tire Warehouse in Topsham, said the idea is catching on with consumers, who are purchasing nitrogen for tires for cars, trucks, motor homes and lawn tractors. He has even tried it on footballs and inflatable tubes pulled behind boats.

He has a retort for those who pooh-pooh the notion of paying for nitrogen when there's plenty of free air for the taking.

"I say, 'Why are you drinking that bottled water when there's a pond out back?'" he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060731/...NlYwNtdm5ld3M-

Quick Reply: anyone tried "nitrogen" for your tires