General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2003 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2003 Nissan Maxima: Redesigned on larger version of new Altima platform to compete with Toyota Avalon.

Motor Trend Magazine

I hope they don't kill what the Maxima has become, a midsize sedan that can run with sports cars.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:31 PM

the new suspension should help if it's like the altima's fully independent one...

-V
Old 06-20-2001, 02:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The avalon isn't that big. If it is a modified newer version of the altima platform, it will probably only be a few inches bigger in length and width.

I wouldn't worry about the maxima. It will still be classified as a midsize. If it goes a modified altima then it will have a indepentent rear suspension. That will be good. What I see as bad is the potential for the price of the Maxima to skyrocket.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Rutnick
What I see as bad is the potential for the price of the Maxima to skyrocket.
That may happen.
Old 06-20-2001, 03:39 PM

Isn't the maxima nissan have now is like 5 cu ft off from being a full size sedan?? I know it was really close, you can almost consider the 5th generation full size, if the new altima is bigger then the current maxima, wouldn't the altima be a full size sedan?
Old 06-20-2001, 03:43 PM

that's what I was thinking... if the altima is going to be bumped up in size to compete with the accord, it'll be about the same size as the current Max. so if the max is any bigger, it'll definitely be bigger than it is now... (the accord already has more interior room that the new max's...)

-V
Old 06-20-2001, 06:33 PM

Since we're on the topic of the 2003 Maxima

i was browsing thru the model matrix at freshalloy the other day and i noticed under the I30(soon to become I35) that in 2003, it has the possibility of becoming Rear wheel drive. Woohoo there. And since the maxima and the I30 are like step sisters, then for sure, if the I30 gets rear wheel drive, then the maxima can only be soon to follow. Just something to think about and hope for. The maxima spinning the rear wheels off the line... Thats a sight to see
Old 06-21-2001, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
Isn't the maxima nissan have now is like 5 cu ft off from being a full size sedan?? I know it was really close, you can almost consider the 5th generation full size, if the new altima is bigger then the current maxima, wouldn't the altima be a full size sedan?
Yes. The Avalon is in the class with Full Size cars. I know the Max just better be a drivers car.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Since we're on the topic of the 2003 Maxima

be intersting if the maxima goes RWD but I doubt it. If they change too much with the Max then they have to price it higher and then they will have the max competing with a market dominated by cars like Lexus and BMW.

They better not make the Max too pricey or it will go the way of the Supra, RX7, and the 300Z. They were great cars that were priced too high for the companies to justify the small sales.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:40 PM

Re: Re: Since we're on the topic of the 2003 Maxima

the thing is, they really can't price the maxima all too much higher. the I30 is supposed to be competing against lexus and BMW and currently undercuts pricing by those companies by offering a better value sort of like acura's plan with its TL. because of this, nissan really can't push the price of the maxima too much higher otherwise it'd be eating sales from the infiniti division as well as creating an identity crisis for both vehicles.

Originally posted by Rutnick
be intersting if the maxima goes RWD but I doubt it. If they change too much with the Max then they have to price it higher and then they will have the max competing with a market dominated by cars like Lexus and BMW.

They better not make the Max too pricey or it will go the way of the Supra, RX7, and the 300Z. They were great cars that were priced too high for the companies to justify the small sales.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Since we're on the topic of the 2003 Maxima

Originally posted by guverment
the thing is, they really can't price the maxima all too much higher. the I30 is supposed to be competing against lexus and BMW and currently undercuts pricing by those companies by offering a better value sort of like acura's plan with its TL. because of this, nissan really can't push the price of the maxima too much higher otherwise it'd be eating sales from the infiniti division as well as creating an identity crisis for both vehicles.

I think the 2003 Max will be RWD. The next gen I30 is going to be so there is a good chance that the Max will be also.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Since we're on the topic of the 2003 Maxima

Originally posted by deezo

I think the 2003 Max will be RWD. The next gen I30 is going to be so there is a good chance that the Max will be also.
I think it would be good for the car but I doubt it. I don't think Nissan would bother to build the car on the Altima platform if they would go to the effort of redesigning it to accomodate RWD.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Since we're on the topic of the 2003 Maxima

Originally posted by Weasel

I think it would be good for the car but I doubt it. I don't think Nissan would bother to build the car on the Altima platform if they would go to the effort of redesigning it to accomodate RWD.
But!!!! Is it actually the Altima chassis? The platform itself can be the mold for the new Max chassis but it may not be identical. It also wouldn't be that difficult to go RWD being the rear suspension is going independent.