General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gawd-awful scraping noise after replacing the cat hanger bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After the dealer replaced the bracket, I drive away and immediately notice a horrible rattle/scrape that I've never heard before. It is inconistent and shows up sometimes at around 2k rpms, turning seems to cause it as does stomping the pedal. Revving while parked does NOT cause it though.

I bring it back and they throw it back up on the lift. We pushed and thumped but could not reproduce the sound on the lift. They didn't really want to deal with me but I argued since I'm an old guy and they eventually refunded the labor potion of the repair ($80) which is more than I expected.

Now, it could be the Stillen y-pipe scraping the section of frame that runs along near it. It's also been suggested to me that it is related to the motor mounts.

Any other ideas or things I should check?

Jim
Old 06-21-2001, 05:48 AM

Jim,

I have the same problem when I had my Y-pipe put on. The b-pipe was hitting the car. Take the a rubber exhaust hanger like the ones that hold on the muffer and put it inside the hanger for the b-pipe. This will keep the b-pipe down thus not hitting the car and the noise is gone.
Old 06-21-2001, 09:49 AM
BlkCat

Have either of you replaced the "S" pipe that comes before the resonator with a straight pipe? I did it on the recommendation of another member and I'm finding the exhaust bumping into the heat shields whenever I drive down my bumpy back lane. I grit my teeth each time it happens!
Will that rubber exhaust hanger help me in this case?

Daniel.

Black '98 SE auto/V2 SC/B&M Supercooler/Courtesy FSTB & clear corners/Koni Sports/Eibach Pro Kit/PIAA Superwhites/Obx brushed aluminum pedals

Coming soon: Don's VB Mod

Old 06-21-2001, 10:47 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Vandanno
Have either of you replaced the "S" pipe that comes before the resonator with a straight pipe? I did it on the recommendation of another member and I'm finding the exhaust bumping into the heat shields whenever I drive down my bumpy back lane. I grit my teeth each time it happens!
Will that rubber exhaust hanger help me in this case?

Daniel.

Black '98 SE auto/V2 SC/B&M Supercooler/Courtesy FSTB & clear corners/Koni Sports/Eibach Pro Kit/PIAA Superwhites/Obx brushed aluminum pedals

Coming soon: Don's VB Mod

I takes a bit of adjusting to make the straight pipe work between the B-pipe and cat. What I had to do was drop the pipe and bend the shields up and out of the way. If I hit a big bump and the B-pipe is hit and expanded and can hear it sometimes.

Dave
Old 06-21-2001, 11:01 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

This might be a long shot, but right after installing my y-pipe, I got this strange rattle/buzz from 2000-2200 that only occured underload that seemed to be coming from underneath the glovebox. I couldn't figure out for the longest time and I figured it was the y-pipe torqueing against the frame. Months later I was working under the hood and I saw that the AC line and bracket that runs along the passenger side of the engine compartment was rubbing underneath side of my FSTB. I simply bent the bracket down and the noise went away. Somehow, when I installed my Y-pipe something got moved around. You might want to check this. This was happened on lots of 4th gens.

Dave
Old 06-21-2001, 12:44 PM
BlkCat

Thanks, Dave
I'll try bending the shields to make clearance...

Old 06-21-2001, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by 95Max
Jim,

I have the same problem when I had my Y-pipe put on. The b-pipe was hitting the car. Take the a rubber exhaust hanger like the ones that hold on the muffer and put it inside the hanger for the b-pipe. This will keep the b-pipe down thus not hitting the car and the noise is gone.

95Max,

Do you have a pic? I'm not sure what you mean by 'inside the hanger for the b-pipe. I have a Greddy cat-back exhaust...if this makes a difference.

Jim
Old 06-22-2001, 07:45 AM

Jim,

I have seem your monster so I know that you have the Greddy. BTW you sill owe me a ride. Yes I know the deal you will get a ride in the Z.
I would think that since the Greddy is a direct fit, it would use the same hangers as stock. Look under the car toward the back end of the b-pipe. There should be a hanger that is oval. What you want to do is zip tie another inside that hanger thus preventing it from compressing keeping the b from hitting the underside.

Chris
Old 06-22-2001, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by 95Max
Jim,

I have seem your monster so I know that you have the Greddy. BTW you sill owe me a ride. Yes I know the deal you will get a ride in the Z.
I would think that since the Greddy is a direct fit, it would use the same hangers as stock. Look under the car toward the back end of the b-pipe. There should be a hanger that is oval. What you want to do is zip tie another inside that hanger thus preventing it from compressing keeping the b from hitting the underside.

Chris
Oh, I didn't know you were 'that' Chris. I'll take a look and see if that helps. Thanks for the info!

Jim