General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Which Maxima has the best handling...
3rd gen.
44.44%
4th gen.
22.22%
5th gen.
33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

What generation Maxima has the best handling...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 06:00 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I can promise you the 3rd gen will win against a 95-99. A 5th gen will win over both.

Agreed on the first part, and I plead ignorance on the second part....

The 95-99 has very sloppy suspension. 5th gen is completely different, and Bill needs to go drive one to see.

Russ, my 5th gens suck comment was more of a flame at Kev then a comment on its handling....I know they modified the 5th gen beam for better cornering, but don't know its ability firsthand....
Old 06-26-2001, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I'll stand up to Bill for you guys. Just PM me how you REALLY feel about him and I'll do all the talking.

<~~ Bill talking gibberish

Hehehe
[sarcasm]
Kev seems to have a problem with authority......and an inferiority complex......He thinks the 5th gen owns me, but in reality it's the 3rd gen that owns Kev.....

It's OK, Kev. It can be our little secret.......

[flame]
AND GET OFF MY FORUM! GO BACK TO YOUR PRETEND 5TH GEN WORLD WHERE YOU ALL *THINK* YOU'RE SUPERIOR....
[/sarcasm][/flame]
Old 06-26-2001, 06:10 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bill99gxe

[sarcasm]
Kev seems to have a problem with authority......and an inferiority complex......He thinks the 5th gen owns me, but in reality it's the 3rd gen that owns Kev.....

It's OK, Kev. It can be our little secret.......:laugh

[flame]
AND GET OFF MY FORUM! GO BACK TO YOUR PRETEND 5TH GEN WORLD WHERE YOU ALL *THINK* YOU'RE SUPERIOR....
[/sarcasm][/flame]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-27-2001, 04:04 AM

I've had third and fifth gen SE's (just drove my 3rd gen again last week). The third gen is a very nice ride and could have been by far the better handling but the shock valving was very bad and the nose was too heavy. The fifth gen is definitely better handling overall - firmer suspension and better weight distribution, even though the rear does get a bit unsettled over bumps - feels worse than it is.

Dave
Old 06-27-2001, 08:20 AM

Okay here we go......

My 3rd gen handled great. When I got my 4th gen I was a bit disappointed that it was so floaty. The 3rd gen tackled rapid corner changes nicely. I always thought right out of the box that the 3rd gen cornered pretty flat and takes transitional changes very well. A quick left right left will show you some pretty good chasis control. Now after modifying my 4th gen with a FSTB, Koni's and H&R's plus 17" wheels, the handling is totally awesome. I have so much fun taking off ramps when the say 35mph and I'm usually doing 60-70. Its really fun. I dont think my old 3rd gen could hang with this. Although a similarly equipped 3rd gen. would probably give me a run for my money.

If you had a modified suspension on both 3rd and 4th gen I'd have to say the better driver would win. I can't comment on 5th gens, sorry I've never drove in one. I'll give a 4th gen handling update after I get my RSB and my Potenza RE730's. Then maybe I could take that 35mph off ramp at 80mph.
Hmmmmmmmm, only one way to know.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Russ I've taken the info from some magazines. Plus, I didn't know you traveled back to 1992 and actually driven a brand new 1992se maxima to compare. Russ = Back to the future?
So that equals circles Russ?? That would mean a SIGNIFICANT improvement in suspension. I don't think driving a brand new maxima agaist a maxima that's almost TEN YEARS OLD is really a fair comparision??

Sloppy: is that really the suspension or the difference between 205-65-15 vs 225-55-17s Russ?

Really? Show me proof Jeff...this was posted on the 3rd gen board..seems your info is not correct. Also I have driven a few 3rd gens, they are very sloppy in body lean and handling stock.

92 SE 5spd VE MAXIMA
0-60 = 7.0
1/4mi. = 15.5 @91mph
top speed = 137
braking from 70mph = 183feet
300ft skidpad, g = .78 (Yokohama A344, 205/65VR-15)

----

The other post was a versus test.
The maxima beat a fully loaded 5spd TAURUS and a fully laoded auto matic V6 camary.
BEst test I've seen, these cars were so tightky matched.
MAXIMA = 92 points
TAURUS = 91 points
CAMARY = 90 points
MAXIMA had a 9 on engine to the Taurus 8
maxima had a 9 on handling to the FORDs 8
fit and finish was maxia 9, ford 8
maxima had an 8 on ride, ford 7
the ford had a 9 on utility, maxima 7.

I found another articel......
Car & Driver November 1991, MAXIMA SE 5spd VE,
15.3 @91mph
.78 skidpad
6.7 to 60mph
top speed = 138

-----

Old 06-27-2001, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Russ I've taken the info from some magazines. Plus, I didn't know you traveled back to 1992 and actually driven a brand new 1992se maxima to compare. Russ = Back to the future?
So that equals circles Russ?? That would mean a SIGNIFICANT improvement in suspension. I don't think driving a brand new maxima agaist a maxima that's almost TEN YEARS OLD is really a fair comparision??

Sloppy: is that really the suspension or the difference between 205-65-15 vs 225-55-17s Russ?

[sarcasm]
Jeff,

If your gonna flame, do it right.

Equations:

Russ = Able to Time Travel and test all gen Maximas
5th gens = Run circles around 3rd gens = Asserts Russ = fair comparison

Just a friendly suggestion from your moderator.

Smile!

[/sarcasm]
Old 06-27-2001, 09:49 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
yeah

wait till medicsonic, steve and deezo get in here .. they will confirm it

don't worry we were all trying. i was trying too but traffic kept me from passing sprint when he hit his limiter, but anyway i have a RSB, but i wasnt lowered then and a FSTB with some good wider tires. i can say that the 4th's take the corners just about as good as the 3rd's but we are definetly faster. DaBoxGTI called me at one point to find out where i was because he couldn't keep up. i was like well i just passed this thing here, or something. then he asked how fast i was going and i was like right now, "110ish"
Old 06-27-2001, 10:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Here is your proof Russ. Tell me where the "circles" begin and end Russ.

http://www.nissanofkeene.com/sales/f...ma/maxima.html 5-th gen: .82 WHOOO-HOOO Must be on rails Russ. You will note that I provided the 5-gen proof while Russ did not. thank you.

http://www.rit.edu/~ehy0121/Maxstats/main.html
4-gen. Actually this test shows a BETTER lat. G at .83 Russ. But we all know the 5-gens are best.
And these are on 15" tires! Whoo-Hoooooooooooooooooo!

I'll even accept that crappy 3-gen test Russ and still ask. Where are the circles Russ? You will note that even with the 5-gen on 16"s, it showed a crappier lat. G than the 4-gen gen on 15"s.

Note: Even though these are just ONE test for each representing year and that different tests might show different results, Russ seems to think ONE test is the end all comparasion. So for the sake of discussion between Russ and I, ONE TEST IS THE END ALL PROOF. AND THE ONE PARTICULAR TEST I BOTHERED TO POST JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE END ALL PROOF. I acually didn't dig around for the worst or best example of each year. It just ended up that way. I don't have that kind of time.

Old 06-27-2001, 04:16 PM
RussMaxManiac

Let me remind you that G's doesn't mean everything. Out on the road and actually driving them is the difference. Even another 3rd gen owner said the 5th gen handles better.

Here is your proof Russ. Tell me where the "circles" begin and end Russ.

http://www.nissanofkeene.com/sales/f...ma/maxima.html 5-th gen: .82 WHOOO-HOOO Must be on rails Russ. You will note that I provided the 5-gen proof while Russ did not. thank you.

http://www.rit.edu/~ehy0121/Maxstats/main.html
4-gen. Actually this test shows a BETTER lat. G at .83 Russ. But we all know the 5-gens are best.
And these are on 15" tires! Whoo-Hoooooooooooooooooo!

I'll even accept that crappy 3-gen test Russ and still ask. Where are the circles Russ? You will note that even with the 5-gen on 16"s, it showed a crappier lat. G than the 4-gen gen on 15"s.

Note: Even though these are just ONE test for each representing year and that different tests might show different results, Russ seems to think ONE test is the end all comparasion. So for the sake of discussion between Russ and I, ONE TEST IS THE END ALL PROOF. AND THE ONE PARTICULAR TEST I BOTHERED TO POST JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE END ALL PROOF. I acually didn't dig around for the worst or best example of each year. It just ended up that way. I don't have that kind of time.

Old 06-27-2001, 04:32 PM
Ford Only.

All said and done the 3rd gen looks better...If I could custom a ride I would want the 3rd gen body with a 97-99 or a 5th gen front end.That would be money YO!
Old 06-27-2001, 04:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

What? Nice reply Russ.
1) Why did you post specs if G's weren't everything??
2) Why did ask for proof, if G's weren't everything??

Your last statement flies in the face of everything I've posted. Totally biased, totally subjective and totally IGNORING the facts.

I answered every question you had Russ, but yet you IGNORED every question put to you. Why is that??

Maybe I should remind you, by totally ignoring the facts presented to you, is a nice way to weasel out of a discussion.

Of course a 10 year old stock 3-gen on 10 year old bushings/blown struts/and some Pep-Boys tires is gonna handle worse than a brand NEW 2000 maxima w/ new shocks/bushings and 17" RIMS/TIRES. Geez get a clue will ya? Maybe after the SECOND time perhaps?

Let me remind you that G's doesn't mean everything. Out on the road and actually driving them is the difference. Even another 3rd gen owner said the 5th gen handles better.

Old 06-27-2001, 04:36 PM
Administrator

[sarcasm] someone lock this one before evil bill starts deleting russ post and he goes over to clubmaxima to b!tch about it [/sarcasm]
Old 06-27-2001, 07:16 PM

Who here has driven a brand new 3rd gen Se. They can tell us there opinion. Rememeber this is about which came from the factory brand new with a better suspension and to make it more fair you should compare the 2000s with 16 inch rims. Imagine how it would handle with 15s
Old 06-28-2001, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Who here has driven a brand new 3rd gen Se. They can tell us there opinion. Rememeber this is about which came from the factory brand new with a better suspension and to make it more fair you should compare the 2000s with 16 inch rims. Imagine how it would handle with 15s
I bought a brand new 94 SE. My ex wife took it when she left. I bought a 2kSE. The 94 was much more noticeably nose heavy and even though the rear suspension was much more sophisticated the shock valving was so poor the rear got very unsettled over bumps when loaded in a corner. The bushings front and rear were noticeably softer than in the 2k. Overall the 2k is set up much firmer than the 94, and the rear isn't much worse in practice. The 94 has a much beter ride though (and I think the 94 is much better looking too, in and out).

wdave
Old 06-28-2001, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
[sarcasm]someone lock this one before evil bill starts deleting russ post and he goes over to clubmaxima to b!tch about it [/sarcasm]

Why would I delete Russ's posts so far? To this point, he's been taken to the cleaners by Jeff.....It's only when Russ starts posting with expletives rather than arguments for his point of view that I intervene.....

You just don't want him going over to YOUR world, do you?

Old 06-29-2001, 02:20 PM

5th gen outhandles 4th gen, not sure about the others. I had a 99 GXE and now the 2000 GXE. The 99 had a ton of understeer (stock). When Nissan moved the trailing link behind the beam in the 5th gen, it made all the difference in the world.

I think Road and Track puts the 2000 Maxima at .83 skidpad. With the FSTB and RSB, it really kicks a$$.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:41 PM

I fell in love with Maximas when I began dating a girl with a 94 SE. That was the quickest car I had ever driven other than an IROQ Z Camaro. It was even quicker than her mother's BMW Z3 (although the Bimer couldn't have stopped any quicker if I drove it into a wall). That 3rd generation handled better than my buddys 98, but it did have it's quirks. Although I could race it on dirt roads in NH with ease, it did suffer from a lot of torque steer, and the alignment never felt quite right. The two problems were probably one and the same, (My ex insisted on getting it aligned at SEARS... first problem), but regardless of those quirks, the car was incredible, and if her parents would sell the thing, I'd buy it to this day!!!!

Old 06-29-2001, 09:55 PM

By the wording of the question, I would have to definitely say a 20th AE. Anyone who has actually driven a stock 3rd, 4th and 5th gen can easily say that the 5th gen is the most neutral and has the least body roll. If you are free to change shocks, springs and sway bars then this completely changes with the 3rd gen on top and the 5th gen on the bottom. 3rd gens just came with rediculously too much body roll and too little tire to win the stock class. But if allowed to modify everything, the ability to custom align the rear suspension due to the IRS gives the 3rd gen a big advantage. The 5th gen rolls less, can get some trailing throttle oversteer and has the widest/biggest wheels and tires available on a Max. This easily gives them the edge in the stock vs. stock class. But modified, they are the heaviest with the worst suspension. The 20th AE has an LSD, so it gets top nods stock.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by bill99gxe

You just don't want him going over to YOUR world, do you?

Old 06-29-2001, 10:50 PM

i have both cars... 4th/5th.. my 5th gen SE handles better than my 4th gen GLE.. then again GLE vs. SE.
Old 06-30-2001, 03:38 AM

I agree with Loren.....

I've driven bone stock 2nd-5th gens. There is no doubt that the 5th gen has a stiffer ride and less body roll. Hell the 00 SE I test drove almost rode like my 87 max with the ST springs. But if the same driver was to take a 92se (assuming it has around 10-25k miles), 95se and 00se to a track like buttonwillow or lagunea seca (sp?) and all had the same tires. I believe the fastest lap times would go in this order 2k SE, 92 SE and finally 95 SE. But I'm willing to bet the difference between the 92 and 95 is probably about 1-3 tenths at best. While the 4th is suffering from torque steer in the corner the 92 will stay on the line easier so more power can be applied earlier. There is nothing like having the front end pull back inline under power vs pushing out of line. VLSD owns Yuo!