General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Which Maxima has the best handling...
3rd gen.
44.44%
4th gen.
22.22%
5th gen.
33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

What generation Maxima has the best handling...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 11:23 AM
Ford Only.

I want to know which Maxima stock from Nissan has the best handling.This is not including any mods like Strut Tower Bars or Sway Bars aftermarket strut,springs,shocks...etc
JUST BONE STOCK SUSPENSION
Old 06-25-2001, 11:35 AM
Administrator

is this some kind of a joke?

the 92 - 94 SE with IRS and LSD were the best handling maxima's
Old 06-25-2001, 11:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Actually the best handling maxima was probably the 1st gen(810). Front engine, rear wheel drive and fully independent rear suspension. Ala the Z car/Datsun 510/Datsun 710 etc..
Old 06-25-2001, 12:22 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Actually the best handling maxima was probably the 1st gen(810). Front engine, rear wheel drive and fully independent rear suspension. Ala the Z car/Datsun 510/Datsun 710 etc..
Yeah, Jeff beat me to it on that one.....

I was gonna let many posts fly before saying "1st Gen"......

[sarcasm][flame][bothering Jeff]
Jeff,

If you bothered to read the poll, it was for 3rd to 5th gen Maxes only.....

As you know, the 3rd gen (and even moreso the 92 to 94 SEs with LSD) is the winner.....
[/sarcasm][/flame][/bothering Jeff]
Old 06-25-2001, 01:08 PM
Ford Only.

Damn,so a 1st gen will out handle me (SCARY) what about the 5th gen I heard that the handling was very good.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well all the 1st gen maximas are all probably worn out, like most of the 3-gens out there. I suppose if you had a chance to line up all the maximas as they were new, it might be fairly close. But then again, the new maximas came out w/ 16 and 17 inch wheels stock(which helps handling) while the 1 gen came w/ 14 inch wheels/tires.

Bill, yadda, yadda, yadda....
Old 06-25-2001, 01:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If we are going by magazine stats for slalom and skidpad for stock to stock, the 4th and 5th gen Maximas outhandle the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gen Maximas. This is no joke and is not BS. On a flat track surface as tested by the mags, the 4th and 5th gens are superior handlers. Go to the library and find some back issues of MT and R&T. You'll see that the 95 4th gen did .84 on the pad and close to 66mph thru the cones on RSAs no less!!!!

When I was at the dyno shop last time, I spoke to an older gentlemen who drove cars for the Kansas City Star and Grass Roots mag. When he saw my car on the rollers, he started talking about the differences between the 4th and 3rd gens handling and he couldn't believe how the rear axle was able outhandle a independant rear. He said on a road coarse and thru the cones, the 4th gen was far more tossable and controlable. He said the rear could get upset a bit in the bumpy turns, but since the car wasn't rear wheel drive, it wasn't that much of an issue other than the annoying rocking. I couldn't believe the guy knew so much.

Remember guys, an independant rear isn't the end all to suspension. If it isn't designed right (the 3rd gen system isn't high tech at all by todays standards) it's not going to perform well. On a smooth surface, like most road coarses, a axle will perform. I'm not "pro" rear axle or anything, but Nissan did it's homework on this setup. I'd love an independant rear to reduce the rocking.

Dave
Old 06-25-2001, 02:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Dave, nice info. But since this is getting a little detailed, let's continue.
Your friend is right. For a competely flat or smooth surface, stiffer is better(ie.. tracks, skid-pads etc). For smooth auto-x tracks, solid rear axles are actually better becuase they are easier to set up stiffer. But when the road gets bumpy or uneven through turns, independant rear suspensions are superior. Why? Because when one wheels encounters a bump, it won't upset the other wheel nearly as much as a beam or solid rear suspension. Real life roads are not all smooth. This explains why the 4gen guys always compain about the jerky rear ends on their cars, while the 3-gens don't complain at all. I think your friend is downplaying the hoppie 4-gen rear end just a tad too much. Other than that, he's right.

If beam or solid rear ends were actually superior for handling in everyday situations, I would wonder why car makers spend so much money to develope independant rear suspensions. Ford developed their IRS for the Mustang for just that reason. For better handling around town. But I hear it causes some wheel hoop in the 1/4 mile take offs.

Originally posted by Dave B
If we are going by magazine stats for slalom and skidpad for stock to stock, the 4th and 5th gen Maximas outhandle the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gen Maximas. This is no joke and is not BS. On a flat track surface as tested by the mags, the 4th and 5th gens are superior handlers. Go to the library and find some back issues of MT and R&T. You'll see that the 95 4th gen did .84 on the pad and close to 66mph thru the cones on RSAs no less!!!!

When I was at the dyno shop last time, I spoke to an older gentlemen who drove cars for the Kansas City Star and Grass Roots mag. When he saw my car on the rollers, he started talking about the differences between the 4th and 3rd gens handling and he couldn't believe how the rear axle was able outhandle a independant rear. He said on a road coarse and thru the cones, the 4th gen was far more tossable and controlable. He said the rear could get upset a bit in the bumpy turns, but since the car wasn't rear wheel drive, it wasn't that much of an issue other than the annoying rocking. I couldn't believe the guy knew so much.

Remember guys, an independant rear isn't the end all to suspension. If it isn't designed right (the 3rd gen system isn't high tech at all by todays standards) it's not going to perform well. On a smooth surface, like most road coarses, a axle will perform. I'm not "pro" rear axle or anything, but Nissan did it's homework on this setup. I'd love an independant rear to reduce the rocking.

Dave
Old 06-25-2001, 02:39 PM

Dave, nice info. But since this is getting a little detailed, let's continue.
Your friend is right. For a competely flat or smooth surface, stiffer is better(ie.. tracks, skid-pads etc). For smooth auto-x tracks, solid rear axles are actually better becuase they are easier to set up stiffer. But when the road gets bumpy or uneven through turns, independant rear suspensions are superior. Why? Because when one wheels encounters a bump, it won't upset the other wheel nearly as much as a beam or solid rear suspension. Real life roads are not all smooth. This explains why the 4gen guys always compain about the jerky rear ends on their cars, while the 3-gens don't complain at all. I think your friend is downplaying the hoppie 4-gen rear end just a tad too much. Other than that, he's right.

If beam or solid rear ends were actually superior for handling in everyday situations, I would wonder why car makers spend so much money to develope independant rear suspensions. Ford developed their IRS for the Mustang for just that reason. For better handling around town. But I hear it causes some wheel hoop in the 1/4 mile take offs.

The confidence I have driving my 3rd gen compared to my 4th isn't even close.....and I guess I should qualify my remarks with "real-world" driving and not necessarily what is good at the track. I literally get high blood pressure taking ordinary turns in the 4th gen over a road that is "slightly" dimpled......it's actually scary. Whereas my 3rd gen feels quite planted......Therefore, my perception is more of which car handles in a "safer" manner rather than which one will win in the twisties.....
Old 06-25-2001, 02:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

4-gen = Bunny Hop rear end.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

The confidence I have driving my 3rd gen compared to my 4th isn't even close.....and I guess I should qualify my remarks with "real-world" driving and not necessarily what is good at the track. I literally get high blood pressure taking ordinary turns in the 4th gen over a road that is "slightly" dimpled......it's actually scary. Whereas my 3rd gen feels quite planted......Therefore, my perception is more of which car handles in a "safer" manner rather than which one will win in the twisties.....
Old 06-25-2001, 03:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ford developed their IRS for the Mustang for just that reason. For better handling around town. But I hear it causes some wheel hoop in the 1/4 mile take offs.
I'm not denying the fact that IRS is superior on bumpy surfaces. With a fully setup suspension like I've got, my car handles incredibly and I don't worry about the rear coming loose or hopping. The rocking is annoying though. On closed coarse with bumps, a 3rd gen would take the bumps better, but I don't the lap speeds would affected much. Confidence and the true limits of the car are two different things. When I had my 94 Z28, the handled incredibly well as long as you didn't hit any bumps. If you hit a bump in a tight turn and the rear came out you had better know how to get back into line. With my Max, I can take the same turns even faster with threat of my rear hanging out. Lots of torque, rwd, and a live axle make for a pretty nasty combo sometimes.

As for the Cobra IRS hopping on launch, "hopping" is an understatement. Everytime I see on of those cars launch, the hop and flex is horrible to watch AND hear. Ford really needs to redesign that setup. When I watch C4 and C5 Vettes launch, they don't have the problem.

Dave
Old 06-25-2001, 03:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

As always Dave, nice comments.

I don't know how hard Bill drives his cars, but he does own both cars. In reality, I guess I have to "borrow" someone's 4-gen at the next NW meet sometime. Have you had a chance to drive a set up 3-gen SE Dave?

How does the 4-gen handle off camber turns or crowned roads? You get alot of wander from that beam suspension?

Originally posted by Dave B

I'm not denying the fact that IRS is superior on bumpy surfaces. With a fully setup suspension like I've got, my car handles incredibly and I don't worry about the rear coming loose or hopping. The rocking is annoying though. On closed coarse with bumps, a 3rd gen would take the bumps better, but I don't the lap speeds would affected much. Confidence and the true limits of the car are two different things. When I had my 94 Z28, the handled incredibly well as long as you didn't hit any bumps. If you hit a bump in a tight turn and the rear came out you had better know how to get back into line. With my Max, I can take the same turns even faster with threat of my rear hanging out. Lots of torque, rwd, and a live axle make for a pretty nasty combo sometimes.

As for the Cobra IRS hopping on launch, "hopping" is an understatement. Everytime I see on of those cars launch, the hop and flex is horrible to watch AND hear. Ford really needs to redesign that setup. When I watch C4 and C5 Vettes launch, they don't have the problem.

Dave
Old 06-25-2001, 03:36 PM
Ford Only.

WOW,This poll is taking on alot of info.Now after this I should ask the question which one has the best handling modified?Hmmmm!
Old 06-25-2001, 03:44 PM

I don't know how hard Bill drives his cars, but he does own both cars.
Jeff,

You know that I only drive with my foot on the brake.....How else could I chew up brakes as much as I do?

Old 06-25-2001, 03:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

Oh yeah, can you even get up to the speed limit that way?

You're not one of those stop-go, stop-go, fast-slow drivers are you? Geez my friend is like that and I almost uke: riding with that guy.

Jeff,

You know that I only drive with my foot on the brake.....How else could I chew up brakes as much as I do?

Old 06-25-2001, 03:58 PM

Oh yeah, can you even get up to the speed limit that way?

It ain't easy, but I manage.....

You're not one of those stop-go, stop-go, fast-slow drivers are you? Geez my friend is like that and I almost uke: riding with that guy.

No.....I'm just a laid back driver mostly......
Old 06-25-2001, 04:49 PM
Administrator

I think bill's decision to drive his 3rd Gen harder than his 4th Gen is in his mind..

while coming home from the NE meet.. we had two 3rd Gen's and a lot of 4th Gen's and we took a very windy road.. and it was the 4th Gen's that were leading though roman was up there..

i don't know if its drivers
Old 06-25-2001, 05:03 PM
Ford Only.

Are you sure the 3rd gens were trying?
Old 06-25-2001, 05:30 PM
Administrator

yeah

wait till medicsonic, steve and deezo get in here .. they will confirm it

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Are you sure the 3rd gens were trying?
Old 06-25-2001, 05:38 PM
Ford Only.

BTW! You have a clean 4th gen.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:40 PM
Administrator

thanks

BTW! You have a clean 4th gen.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:24 PM
RussMaxManiac

Actually no, even though they had IRS, they were not the best handling. The best handlign is the 5th gen over SMOOTH roads should I say. IRS only helps on bumpy roads. The 5th gen will do circles around a 3rd gen stock in handling.

Originally posted by SprintMax
is this some kind of a joke?

the 92 - 94 SE with IRS and LSD were the best handling maxima's

Old 06-26-2001, 12:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Really Russ? I found some old lat. G data from the 3-gen tests and they run about .81-.83 or so. The one 5-gen I saw ran .83. Where are the circles you are talking about Russ? Even if you give the 5-gen .85, that's not alot better.

Too bad real life is not a smooth road huh?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Actually no, even though they had IRS, they were not the best handling. The best handlign is the 5th gen over SMOOTH roads should I say. IRS only helps on bumpy roads. The 5th gen will do circles around a 3rd gen stock in handling.

Old 06-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Administrator

LSD!!! LSD!!!!!

Really Russ? I found some old lat. G data from the 3-gen tests and they run about .81-.83 or so. The one 5-gen I saw ran .83. Where are the circles you are talking about Russ? Even if you give the 5-gen .85, that's not alot better.

Old 06-26-2001, 12:10 PM

I think bill's decision to drive his 3rd Gen harder than his 4th Gen is in his mind..
I equate better handling with "feeling" safer when pointing the wheel in a direction and the car going there without complaining. My 99 just doesn't do that as well as the 94.....

From its birth, the 99 has seemed to handle like my 3rd gen did only after it hit the 82k mark on stock springs/struts.....plain sloppy and hard to handle over bumps......
Old 06-26-2001, 12:12 PM

LSD!!! LSD!!!!!

"I think he did too much LDS in the 60's"
Old 06-26-2001, 12:16 PM
Administrator

buy a RSB, FSTB, H&R and Toks and that baby will handle like nothing in the world.. an over sized go cart

I equate better handling with "feeling" safer when pointing the wheel in a direction and the car going there without complaining. My 99 just doesn't do that as well as the 94.....

From its birth, the 99 has seemed to handle like my 3rd gen did only after it hit the 82k mark on stock springs/struts.....plain sloppy and hard to handle over bumps......
Old 06-26-2001, 12:22 PM

buy a RSB, FSTB, H&R and Toks and that baby will handle like nothing in the world.. an over sized go cart
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

Only have FSTB on the 99.....H&Rs and AGXs to follow.....

I still hate that damn beam in the back....
Old 06-26-2001, 12:45 PM
Administrator

don't like it.. don't drive it.. obviously something is nice about your wifes 99 why you keep driving it but you have to act big and bad infront of your 3rd Gen buddies.. admit it Bill.. you like the 99 better.. if this wasn't not the case your name would be Bill94GXE

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

Only have FSTB on the 99.....H&Rs and AGXs to follow.....

I still hate that damn beam in the back....
Old 06-26-2001, 12:55 PM
Ford Only.

I would love to see the outcome if we were to get a 92-94 SE 5 speed vs. 95-99 SE 5 speed both bone stock with good drivers.And put them on a track and let them go at it.Who would cross the finish line first?
Old 06-26-2001, 12:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

The better driver would win.

I would love to see the outcome if we were to get a 92-94 SE 5 speed vs. 95-99 SE 5 speed both bone stock with good drivers.And put them on a track and let them go at it.Who would cross the finish line first?
Old 06-26-2001, 01:30 PM

don't like it.. don't drive it.. obviously something is nice about your wifes 99 why you keep driving it but you have to act big and bad infront of your 3rd Gen buddies.. admit it Bill.. you like the 99 better.. if this wasn't not the case your name would be Bill94GXE
*sigh*

No need to act big and bad if you've got the goods....the 3rd gen has the goods.....the 4th gen is just a pretender....the 5th gen (especially Kev's) just sucks.

I drive the Wife 2.0's car about once a week. If it wasn't for the VQ, that thing would be history......It's gonna be mine in about 5 years, so I have to care for it anyway. Unless of course the wifey changes her mind (which could be tomorrow for all I know).

My name isn't bill94gxe because that member has no power. And, as you know, it's all about the power....

:vampire:
Old 06-26-2001, 01:46 PM
Administrator

bill you had that name before you were a moderator keep trying bill the excuses are getting better

*sigh*

No need to act big and bad if you've got the goods....the 3rd gen has the goods.....the 4th gen is just a pretender....the 5th gen (especially Kev's) just sucks.

I drive the Wife 2.0's car about once a week. If it wasn't for the VQ, that thing would be history......It's gonna be mine in about 5 years, so I have to care for it anyway. Unless of course the wifey changes her mind (which could be tomorrow for all I know).

My name isn't bill94gxe because that member has no power. And, as you know, it's all about the power....

:vampire:
Old 06-26-2001, 04:41 PM
RussMaxManiac

Really? Show me proof Jeff...this was posted on the 3rd gen board..seems your info is not correct. Also I have driven a few 3rd gens, they are very sloppy in body lean and handling stock.

92 SE 5spd VE MAXIMA
0-60 = 7.0
1/4mi. = 15.5 @91mph
top speed = 137
braking from 70mph = 183feet
300ft skidpad, g = .78 (Yokohama A344, 205/65VR-15)

----

The other post was a versus test.
The maxima beat a fully loaded 5spd TAURUS and a fully laoded auto matic V6 camary.
BEst test I've seen, these cars were so tightky matched.
MAXIMA = 92 points
TAURUS = 91 points
CAMARY = 90 points
MAXIMA had a 9 on engine to the Taurus 8
maxima had a 9 on handling to the FORDs 8
fit and finish was maxia 9, ford 8
maxima had an 8 on ride, ford 7
the ford had a 9 on utility, maxima 7.

I found another articel......
Car & Driver November 1991, MAXIMA SE 5spd VE,
15.3 @91mph
.78 skidpad
6.7 to 60mph
top speed = 138

-----

Old 06-26-2001, 04:47 PM
RussMaxManiac

I can promise you the 3rd gen will win against a 95-99. A 5th gen will win over both.

The 95-99 has very sloppy suspension. 5th gen is completely different, and Bill needs to go drive one to see.

Also, when I was at the Kansas City meet, I took some guys for a ride in my car, they didn't believe it handled better than a 4th gen with suspension. They were amazed when I took them, because they got thrown left and right in the car without any problems. Lets just say they were completely amazed.

I also a while back over 1 year ago, had a 2k maxima auto, a friend had a 99 Max 5spd, with H&R and tokicos, RSB, Wheels and Tires, STB. RSTB./ Well I was able to out corner him and take turns much faster than he was and I was completely stock, his car wasn't taking it well at all.

Old 06-26-2001, 04:51 PM
Ford Only.

Man O man...Well what generation has the best handling modified?
Old 06-26-2001, 05:04 PM

Ok now do the same to a 3rd gen. On the track, of which very few are smooth in the corners, the third gen would out corner the others. But the others would more than make up that distance in the straights.

And remember tires play a very large factor in handling, the balloon tires that come stock on a 3rd gen will suck in the corners, too much tire flex.

Oh, BTW Russ you never got to ride in my car at the meet. I can toss you around in your seat with the best of them
Old 06-26-2001, 05:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

*sigh*

Oh really? Blah blah blah......

Old 06-26-2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Oh really? Blah blah blah......

Old 06-26-2001, 05:45 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I'll stand up to Bill for you guys. Just PM me how you REALLY feel about him and I'll do all the talking.

<~~ Bill talking gibberish

Hehehe

Quick Reply: What generation Maxima has the best handling...