General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SC owners: Overall SC'd Maxima reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 10:32 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

This question has never seemed to be answered into depth because everyone who gets a SC sells it in 3 months.

How many people have had problems with blown head gaskets, munched differentials and trannies, clutches, spun bearings, and such with the blowers? I know the idler pulley is junk on the SC, but what else? I'm considering the SCing my Max next spring, but if my car's reliability is severely compromised then I'll pass. I understand that if you beat on your car hard, things will break regardless. I just want to know if the Max can take SCing for extended periods of time without any problems. If I get a SC I will:

-leave the standard pulley on
-never run drag radials
-granny shift
-upgrade to a better clutch
-mount a boost gauge, EGT gauge, oil pressure gauge

From what I've seen on with the SC Max's, the cars run really fairly rich at WOT (a good thing). I don't know if getting a AFC would be a good idea or not. I'd be nervous about setting it up too close to an optimul level in the cold and then when it gets hot, the motor starts detonating badly.

Dave
Old 06-26-2001, 02:12 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The are all too busy working on their car to answer this post.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dave...

You strike me as having the same common sense as Jim W with the SC'd 96 Auto. He has had his SC for over 30k and is in the 90k+ area in terms of mileage. You may wanna contact him if he doesn't respond to this post himself. I think he can tell you other than the tranny recently, he hasn't had any major issues. I think if you do it right and aren't too crazy, then it will last, and that is what I intend to do with my soon to be SC'd 98.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:45 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Jane's still sleeping....
Old 06-26-2001, 03:01 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

well since i dont even know where in panama my SC is.
i can't answer you at the moment.

anyhoo. those peeps who are sellin their sc isn't because their car blow'd up.
its because of
1) a wedding (adam)
2) a new car (emax)
3) a new car (steve n philly)
4) idunnowhy (climax)

eh.

oh well.

its AMAZIng tho. how many sc'd guys in the past month.

heheh
Old 06-26-2001, 03:04 PM

A new car for Climax as well.
Old 06-26-2001, 04:05 PM

Skimax has had his boosted for sometime now.. and still boosting. Just new 'clutch' ..

Billy (BL97?) has basically the same setup as me (3.48 pulley w/Auto) .. dunno how long hes had his.

But yes, people actually do keep them past 3 months. I plan on it, unless my tranny dies.. then ill need a beater car in a hurry.

Oh yah.. *snip* .. how about the SMX He's been boostin forever .. JGadlage has had his for about a year now too..
Old 06-26-2001, 04:33 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

I've had the S/C for over a year (~10k miles on it) and I don't have any *major* problems. Just little annoying ones that make you want to rip the supercharger off.

I'd say the reliability has decreased. I'm scared that I'll be driving then one day a belt decides to slip off or something bad happens. But bad things can happen to a N/A car also. So it's really up to you. My tranny gave in when I was N/A, but I haven't had any tranny problems with the S/C yet. Like you said, it also depends on how you drive..I boost only when provoked or necessary.

All I have to say is that boost is yummy. You should get it.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:20 PM

I've had over 2.5 years with the SC. I had an A/C line break due to the front tube pushing on it. The stock plugs died in 5K miles and it burned up the clutch. Other than that, I boost everyday reliably.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:41 PM

Whats the part number for the Good Year belt for the SC set up?

Is their a write up on how to do the cold air intale set up on the SC? Or is it really somthing I need to just rig up by doing some shade tree engineering??
Old 06-26-2001, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Whats the part number for the Good Year belt for the SC set up?

Is their a write up on how to do the cold air intale set up on the SC? Or is it really somthing I need to just rig up by doing some shade tree engineering??

I'm looking to do a cold air setup too. I'm thinkin of goin with a RACtive filter, some piping and an an AEM bypass valve? I'm not sure where to run it.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:04 PM

What size is the standard pulley? How much difference will the 3.48 pulley make? I remember a few people said it's not wise to get the 3.25 pulley if you're still running on stock internals. So, is the 3.48 pulley safer to run on stock internals? I know that for an automatic, it's recommended that I have Don's VB and a tranny cooler. Well, I got the tranny cooler and going to get Don's VB soon(I hope...Don, where are you?) And what about the idle pulley? Is it necessary to get an all aluminium replacement for it? I heard that a few people that had problems with the plastic pulley. I ask this because whenever I get the supercharger, I want to just go ahead and get a smaller pulley and get that install with the supercharger. However, I think the 3.25 pulley might be just a bit too much for stock internals. So, will the 3.48 pulley be a safer alternative?
Old 06-26-2001, 07:00 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

the 3.48 on an auto is reliable.
BL97SC has had it in his auto for well over a year, and no problems.
he's got the VB mod and tranny cooler, and thats about it.

the idle replacement pulley for the v2, is just precautionary. i'm going to do it. i dont want to take any chances while driving.

i heard that stlilen is redoing their idle pulley now (now?! they finally learned their lesson) to aluminum also. i think... after learning about the mishaps...

the 3.25 is a bit crazy. i dont think i'll be boosting that high unless u do some type of reinforcement of the engine.. and tranny.

maybe. cyro coat everything? hehehe

i'll just be driving the car normallly with the blower. and just use it when some dude in an m3 wants to eat off my salad bar...

Originally posted by Cumalot
What size is the standard pulley? How much difference will the 3.48 pulley make? I remember a few people said it's not wise to get the 3.25 pulley if you're still running on stock internals. So, is the 3.48 pulley safer to run on stock internals? I know that for an automatic, it's recommended that I have Don's VB and a tranny cooler. Well, I got the tranny cooler and going to get Don's VB soon(I hope...Don, where are you?) And what about the idle pulley? Is it necessary to get an all aluminium replacement for it? I heard that a few people that had problems with the plastic pulley. I ask this because whenever I get the supercharger, I want to just go ahead and get a smaller pulley and get that install with the supercharger. However, I think the 3.25 pulley might be just a bit too much for stock internals. So, will the 3.48 pulley be a safer alternative?
Old 06-26-2001, 07:05 PM

Hmm SC reliability?

Let's see, I completly fried my Stock clutch in about 800 miles{@43K}. I then opted for a piece of **** Centerforce Clutch and a Alluminum Flywheel. About a week later I finished breaking in my piece of **** Centerforce Clutch and the damn thing slipped all over the place. Then a few weeks later{3 week old Clutch} I went to the MA Max meet and shifted into 2nd gear at 95 MPH, this resulted in litterley exploding my Clutch into pieces and warping my Flywheel. So next I put in my ACT Clutch and got a new plate for my Stillen Flywheel and shortly after that I developed a huge oil leak. Ohh yeah I snaped a SC belt once too, but lukily only 1/2 of it snaped so I was able to drive home with it. Next my car starting stalling every were so I removed the SC and the car still stalled just as bad. A few weeks later I figured out my MAF sensor was malfuctioning so I replaced it and now my car runs great again.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:15 PM
Vic

heh
Chebosto..you left me off the list =)
Vic

Originally posted by Chebosto
well since i dont even know where in panama my SC is.
i can't answer you at the moment.

anyhoo. those peeps who are sellin their sc isn't because their car blow'd up.
its because of
1) a wedding (adam)
2) a new car (emax)
4) idunnowhy (climax)

eh.

oh well.

its AMAZIng tho. how many sc'd guys in the past month.

heheh
Old 06-26-2001, 07:22 PM

the 3.48 on an auto is reliable.
BL97SC has had it in his auto for well over a year, and no problems.
he's got the VB mod and tranny cooler, and thats about it.

the idle replacement pulley for the v2, is just precautionary. i'm going to do it. i dont want to take any chances while driving.

i heard that stlilen is redoing their idle pulley now (now?! they finally learned their lesson) to aluminum also. i think... after learning about the mishaps...

the 3.25 is a bit crazy. i dont think i'll be boosting that high unless u do some type of reinforcement of the engine.. and tranny.

maybe. cyro coat everything? hehehe

i'll just be driving the car normallly with the blower. and just use it when some dude in an m3 wants to eat off my salad bar...

Thanks Cheston. That clears up a few things for me. Where is your supercharger? You should have it install by now.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:23 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by emax95
Hmm SC reliability?

Let's see, I completly fried my Stock clutch in about 800 miles{@43K}. I then opted for a piece of **** Centerforce Clutch and a Alluminum Flywheel. About a week later I finished breaking in my piece of **** Centerforce Clutch and the damn thing slipped all over the place. Then a few weeks later{3 week old Clutch} I went to the MA Max meet and shifted into 2nd gear at 95 MPH, this resulted in litterley exploding my Clutch into pieces and warping my Flywheel. So next I put in my ACT Clutch and got a new plate for my Stillen Flywheel and shortly after that I developed a huge oil leak. Ohh yeah I snaped a SC belt once too, but lukily only 1/2 of it snaped so I was able to drive home with it. Next my car starting stalling every were so I removed the SC and the car still stalled just as bad. A few weeks later I figured out my MAF sensor was malfuctioning so I replaced it and now my car runs great again.
Most of those problems were your fault.

Stock clutch won't last with a SC.

Centerforce aren't that good. You should have listened to Phil.

Shifting into 2nd = you can't drive

Didn't you damage MAF while putting in SC?

I dunno about the belt.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by NickStam

Most of those problems were your fault.

Yeah, true

Stock clutch won't last with a SC.

I noticed and new that

Centerforce aren't that good. You should have listened to Phil.

I did listen to Phil but the ACT Clutches were on back order for weeks at that time and I needed a Clutch replacement ASAP.

Shifting into 2nd = you can't drive

Opinion...

Every other person who has ever driven with me has complimented me on my great driving abilities, often times I am told I should be a race car driver . That misship was just a big mistake on my part and will never happen again. I relized I did it out of instinks really because I almost never do fast shifts from 3rd to 4th so I just slammed it into 2nd, ouch!

Didn't you damage MAF while putting in SC?

Not sure really, I could have indirectly damaged it. I never droped it or banged it or anything and it worked fine for a while and out of now were it just started to act up

I dunno about the belt.
The belt snaped because I did not machine my Pulley down properly, I fixed the problem that same day and it worked great after that.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:05 PM

The belt snaped because I did not machine my Pulley down properly, I fixed the problem that same day and it worked great after that.

Why did you have to machine the pulley?
Old 06-26-2001, 08:18 PM

Hopefully, I'll be ok with my Clutchmasters clutch. Check out my other thread. Let me know guys.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Why did you have to machine the pulley?
Because I bought it used from a V1 SC and I did not really know it whould not fit properly. So I machined it down about a 1/2 CM and it is identical to my {Chestons } stock pulley now. I think I30Crab had to do the same thing too.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:10 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm with Cheston, I'll only use it when provoked or at the track. Under normal driving (98% of the time), I only run the rpms up to 3500 (4000 if I'm feeling "froggy"). I hardly ever truely wrap it out to 6000+ rpms on the street or highway.

I think I'm a good canidate

Cheston-
Are you installing the blower yourself? Put some good info on your site when you get the chance.

Dave
Old 06-26-2001, 10:57 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

eehh.. uhh..

did i miss something..

Because I bought it used from a V1 SC and I did not really know it whould not fit properly. So I machined it down about a 1/2 CM and it is identical to my {Chestons } stock pulley now. I think I30Crab had to do the same thing too.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:15 PM

Go Dave! Do it! (I really want to myself, but am shopping for a diamod for my gal!)
Old 06-26-2001, 11:25 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

david b wants the b to stand for Boost.

everybody with me!

WWWAAAAAAAAHHHPPFFSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by bigtexan7
Go Dave! Do it! (I really want to myself, but am shopping for a diamod for my gal!)
Old 06-26-2001, 11:27 PM

I think Skimax's auto gave out and he's looking into a new tranny. Maybe a 5-speed swap?? All I know is his car has been down.

Originally posted by OgreDave
Skimax has had his boosted for sometime now.. and still boosting. Just new 'clutch' ..
Old 06-26-2001, 11:30 PM

Hmm..Steve was on his third engine. The last engine rebuild took 1 1/2 years.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:35 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you mean Mardi's engine.

heheh

tony.
when u gonna put on that touring wing, eh?

i need more support in the TW club

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Hmm..Steve was on his third engine. The last engine rebuild took 1 1/2 years.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:49 PM

Dave,
This is my take this. If you do any major power adder, regardless off what kind. You car will have more problems than when it was NA. Let's be realistic. Things will more likely to go wrong when you add extra parts to the car. Don't expect to bolt it on and forget about it. This is no Altezza lights mod. Your car depends on some of these parts to move. Be prepare to have another ride or have your AAA card ready. Maybe even get a second car.

My nitrous kit hasn't been perfect. I had problems with my remote bottle opener, fuel solenoid, MSD window switch and my WOT throttle switch. Most of them are due to poor installation.

Not everyone will disclose all the SC problems they had. Most people that are selling their SC kit had some sort of problems. Why would anyone get rid of a perfectly running supercharged car? I'm not saying all of them had problems, but most of them did.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:54 PM

Yeah...Matt's engine. I'm glad he was the one that picked it up. I'm sure he will get some good use out of it

I sold the TW wing to another local guy Cheston, so I won't be joining the TW club. He has a GXE, so it's perfect for him. I would love to have a TW on my car, but the body work was just too $$$.

you mean Mardi's engine.
heheh
tony.
when u gonna put on that touring wing, eh?

i need more support in the TW club

Old 06-27-2001, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I'm with Cheston, I'll only use it when provoked or at the track. Under normal driving (98% of the time), I only run the rpms up to 3500 (4000 if I'm feeling "froggy"). I hardly ever truely wrap it out to 6000+ rpms on the street or highway.

I think I'm a good canidate
Dave, thats exactly how I drive it. (Similar to what Jane & Cheston were saying)

I still retain good milage too
Old 06-27-2001, 03:27 AM
Lyt97SC

hmm lets see, ive had the SC on for 1.5 years now and so far:

Cons
1. massive oil leak from the blower
2. slight valve cover gasket leak
3. loud/annoying static-like sound from the blower at 3K
4. slight crack on the idler pulley, needs to be replaced
5. drastic drop in mpg (anyone else have this prob? hehe)

Pros
1. 270FWHP
2. plenty of V8 kills (yummmm LS1..)

Well to tell you the truth, if i got to start over i would not have gotten the SC. maybe put simple NA mods on and keep it reliable and w/o all the headaches. but since ive come this far, there is no stopping now =) 300+ FWHP here i come.

Old 06-27-2001, 04:54 AM

I'm stealin this for my awaymessage, Cheston....hehe

Oh and about those touring wings. My body shop guys said they flap around with the little vibrations, and they crack at the seams. Have you had this problem?

How did the Oil leak come about, Lyt97SC?

-Peace
Old 06-27-2001, 05:56 AM

No problems with my SC

I have had my SC on for about a year now and put 15,000 miles of fun driving on it. Installed it on my 96,000 Maxima with 85,000 miles on the clock and nothing has gone wrong with it. I think that I can attribute it to the fact that it was professionally installed. The only problem that I had with my kit is that the fuel pump that came iwht the kit was bad and had to be replaced before installing the SC kit. I don't think that a DIY'er would have seen this and that could have lead to bigger problems.

Other than that my car is running great with just over 102,000 miles on it and I am not holding back. My car runs fine in day to day crusing in traffic or around town. It has tons of power when I get on it either from a crusing speed or off the line. Nail it at either one of these situations and be prepared to be laid back in your seat with massive acceleration. I have done all the necessary precautions with modifying the VB and installing the tranny cooler. Boost level was left at stock since I didn't know that you could safely go higher. Higher boost levels and maybe NOS will be called for in the future as I have access to more capitial at my disposal.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave B
[B]This question has never seemed to be answered into depth because everyone who gets a SC sells it in 3 months.

How many people have had problems with blown head gaskets, munched differentials and trannies, clutches, spun bearings, and such with the blowers?
Old 06-27-2001, 05:58 AM

SC = problems no matter how you look at it, I have a SC in my garage->

for a couple of months now. But every time I think of Installing it I get Flash back from my previous SuperCharger. Belt popping,Oil leaking,noisy as hell, Car cutting off in the middle of the Highway,Tow truck bills, Make sure your insurance covers towing. And always driving in fear that something might go wrong with the car.
Thats my input on this subject (Good luck)
Jose

Originally posted by Dave B
This question has never seemed to be answered into depth because everyone who gets a SC sells it in 3 months.

How many people have had problems with blown head gaskets, munched differentials and trannies, clutches, spun bearings, and such with the blowers? I know the idler pulley is junk on the SC, but what else? I'm considering the SCing my Max next spring, but if my car's reliability is severely compromised then I'll pass. I understand that if you beat on your car hard, things will break regardless. I just want to know if the Max can take SCing for extended periods of time without any problems. If I get a SC I will:

-leave the standard pulley on
-never run drag radials
-granny shift
-upgrade to a better clutch
-mount a boost gauge, EGT gauge, oil pressure gauge

From what I've seen on with the SC Max's, the cars run really fairly rich at WOT (a good thing). I don't know if getting a AFC would be a good idea or not. I'd be nervous about setting it up too close to an optimul level in the cold and then when it gets hot, the motor starts detonating badly.

Dave
Old 06-27-2001, 06:19 AM

you mean Mardi's engine.
I got it , now I just have to clean it up and do some checks etc...
Old 06-27-2001, 06:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

everybody with me!

The countdown has begun......

Old 06-27-2001, 07:30 AM

So, has Stillen redo the V2 supercharger? I think I'll wait until they change the plastic pulley to an aluminum one. That way, I don't have to go out and find one. And is a V1 really better the V2? I think the few used V1's that were for sale already been sold. Oh well.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
So, has Stillen redo the V2 supercharger? I think I'll wait until they change the plastic pulley to an aluminum one. That way, I don't have to go out and find one. And is a V1 really better the V2? I think the few used V1's that were for sale already been sold. Oh well.
No diff in power, just diff in amt of noise, mounting style, intake [cai w/v2 kit], and of course... PRICE. Who could forget that..
Old 06-27-2001, 09:57 AM
Matt_P

The SC itself has been reliable -->

I have been running it for 1.5 years. I have one of the quiet V1's just before they switched to the V2. Its on a 98 SE 5 spd with 42,000 miles. The kit has been on the car for about 20,000 miles. I am still using the stock clutch. I drive fairly hard and have beaten many cars, however I don't do cazy burnouts or take the car to the track. ie drive fast, but easy on the launches.

The biggest problem that I have run into is that the dealer is scared to look at the car whenever something is going on. Around this time last year, I had a problem with an ignition coil going bad. It did not go bad because of the SC, but because of ME changing he plugs when the engine was still hot. The boot tore off the coil. I glued the coil back on, and assumed the coil would still fire correctly.
I took the car into the dealer and they diagnosed it as a misfire in cylinder #1 and that there was serious engine damage. They said the coils should never go bad(even though the rubber boot came off). Anyway, I ordered a new coil and the engine has been running soomth since(so much for dealers advise). Doh!!

Also, I had a compression check last october and everything is up to spec.

Other problems --> I had a problem with belt squeel when the engine was cold. I fixed that myself by tightening the belt. Also, the the idler pulley is making some noise.
It appears as if Autogear my replace that under warranty.

Other Problem You may become spoiled. We all into cars, or else we would not be here. From time to time, we look at other cars. After driving an SC'd max....what other car can you jump into that will offer upgraded comfort/performance reliblity that won't hurt your wallet. S4's are nice(though I have beaten them on the highway), but I a little to pricey for me right now. What else is there? I don't want to re-mod from scratch again(just bought a house). WRX = fast yet econo car comfort(interior is a downgrade from a maxima)
Perhaps a used M3???

Overall, its been fun and I have enjoyed my car.

Quick Reply: SC owners: Overall SC'd Maxima reliability?