General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS Question for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 11:55 PM
DOM

Yeah, yeah, I saw the "Fast and Furious" movie and now it has me all excited about NOS. After seeing too many complaints about the SC (and the price), I figured that NOS would be better off for me (maybe) because of my thin wallet.
I want to get the bottle because it is so cheap at JC Whitney but I got a question that maybe you pros can answer. First off, I am not mechanically talented. Is the NOS setup simple enough that even a beginner like me can handle? I don't race at all and I wanted it for my own pleasure, not for showing off to others. I see that on these posts, there seems to be a lot of tuning needed to run this correctly. Can I handle this or should I steer clear away from the NOS?
How much would it cost for a shop to install it?
Old 06-28-2001, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by DOM
Yeah, yeah, I saw the "Fast and Furious" movie and now it has me all excited about NOS. After seeing too many complaints about the SC (and the price), I figured that NOS would be better off for me (maybe) because of my thin wallet.
I want to get the bottle because it is so cheap at JC Whitney but I got a question that maybe you pros can answer. First off, I am not mechanically talented. Is the NOS setup simple enough that even a beginner like me can handle? I don't race at all and I wanted it for my own pleasure, not for showing off to others. I see that on these posts, there seems to be a lot of tuning needed to run this correctly. Can I handle this or should I steer clear away from the NOS?
How much would it cost for a shop to install it?
its easy to install i just ordered my nos from jc whitney u will be able to installl urself
Old 06-28-2001, 12:22 AM
DOM

Oh yeah! What gear do you guys normally boost? How long does it last? Where can I find more information on this kind of stuff so that I do not have to bug you guys?
Old 06-28-2001, 12:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Questions Answered

NOS is something a beginner might not be able to install by himself. It really depends on whether or not you know how to turn a screwdriver and whether or not you are mechanically challenged. It requires running nitrous lines from the trunk to the engine, mounting solenoids, tapping into the intake manifold and the fuel system (wet setup only). I was able to install mine with the help of an experienced friend. It does require a little bit of tuning depending on how big a shot your are running. All you really have to do is change the fuel and nitrous jets until the car runs properly. I paid a little over $500 for a universal Nitrous Works kit, but then I also spent about $400 more in addons and parts. You might also need a blow down tube, nitrous pressure gauge, hi flow nitrous filter, extra lines and fittings, and a purge kit. This **** gets expensive quick.

David C.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:39 AM
DOM

Maximapwr

From what I have been reading around this site, I would use the dry shot. I am not hardcore and do not need a huge shot and I won't be using it that often nor will I be running my car into the ground. Is the extra parts neessary for someone like me? I am not going to the track ever. Will the basic kit be good enough?
Old 06-28-2001, 12:46 AM

Re:

a wet setup is safer. I'm running a 50 shot, not big, but I would rather have the fuel as a buffer. If you plan to go to the track you will need the blow down tube. The hi flow filter will protect your solenoids from any extraneous crap that's in your nitrous. You probably will need some extra hose and fittings. The purge kit is mostly for fun and showing off, but there is a performance aspect to it, but I won't get into that.

David C.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:01 AM

Re: Re:

Originally posted by maximapowr
a wet setup is safer. I'm running a 50 shot, not big, but I would rather have the fuel as a buffer. If you plan to go to the track you will need the blow down tube. The hi flow filter will protect your solenoids from any extraneous crap that's in your nitrous. You probably will need some extra hose and fittings. The purge kit is mostly for fun and showing off, but there is a performance aspect to it, but I won't get into that.

David C.
DOES THE JCWHITNEY KIT COME WITH EVERYTHING THAT I WOULD NEED
Old 06-28-2001, 01:08 AM

Geo, yes it does, well, except for the recomended guages. And for everyone else, please visit www.nosnitrous.com . It will answer alot of your questions.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:14 AM

A wet kit is probably not a smart move on a Maxima.....wet kits are not recommended for cars with long intake runners.....ala maxima. If you backfire....which is very rare...but could happen....bye bye engine!
Old 06-28-2001, 01:15 AM

medsonic...

How do you design your sigs? Do you use photoshop? Is there a way to decrease the file sizes of images by reducing their resolutions? How do you join two layers or images together?

David C.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:21 AM

What are you talking about?

The amount of fuel added into the nitrous mixture is small. Not enough to do any damage to anything. It's actually less volatile than an equal part of nitrous. Anyways, a backfire occurs when there is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system. How will this destroy your engine?

David C.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:28 AM

Re: medsonic...

How do you design your sigs? Do you use photoshop? Is there a way to decrease the file sizes of images by reducing their resolutions? How do you join two layers or images together?

David C.
The easiest program I have found is Paint Shop Pro 7, by the JASC corporation. You can tell it to shrink a sig picture to a particular size, retaining the same height and width ratios or tell it to reduce it percentage wise. As for merging images, it also allows you to do that very simpily. Download a trial version at www.jasc.com
Old 06-28-2001, 01:38 AM

Re: Re: medsonic...

David C.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:40 AM

Re: What are you talking about?

The amount of fuel added into the nitrous mixture is small. Not enough to do any damage to anything. It's actually less volatile than an equal part of nitrous. Anyways, a backfire occurs when there is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system. How will this destroy your engine?

David C.
I dunno...I just say a video of a Trans AM's engine exploding cuz he was running a wet system with long intake runners...I could be wrong
Old 06-28-2001, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
A wet kit is probably not a smart move on a Maxima.....wet kits are not recommended for cars with long intake runners.....ala maxima. If you backfire....which is very rare...but could happen....bye bye engine!

it'll probably just damage the MAF sensor or blow off the intake. worst case senario = blow off your throttle body and put a dent in your hood. it's backfire, so it goes in the opposite direction from the engine. the video of the trans am was just a backfire, the engine didn't explode, heh.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:56 AM

can u put nitrous in a auto
Old 06-28-2001, 07:09 AM

Yes. A tranny cooler is suggested, alond with a valvebody upgrade if going over a 40 shot.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:08 AM

If you want a NOS system just for every now and then use, then go for a dry system. Wet systems require a little more patience and tuning. Well, a lot more then a dry kit. Talk to Steve in Philly or Tony (1MAX2NV), they both have wet systems. I think you will have better results with the dry system in the Maximas. I repeat Maximas.

As far as what you would need, i would get gauges so you know whats going on inside your engine when you spray the NOS. A window switch and bottle heater would be the only things that you wouls really need.

I installed my NOS kit as long as many others here. I had never installed a NOS system till i did mine but i am mechanically inclined. I just took my time and study the instructions inside and out. I also got some NOS install pics from other guys here which helped a lot. A picture means a thousand words as they say. :
Old 06-28-2001, 10:11 AM
SMX

Originally posted by geomax

its easy to install i just ordered my nos from jc whitney u will be able to installl urself
I called JC Whitney today to order my kit they gave me a price of $499.95! Is there some kind of code I'll need to get it for $375. Thanks
Old 06-28-2001, 02:47 PM
DOM

OKAY!

I am doing it! You guys will help me if I run into trouble right?
Old 06-28-2001, 02:48 PM

I guess the 25% deal is over.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:08 PM
DOM

SMX

i just ordered the NOS from JC Whitney. I got it for $374.96. I didn't call JC, I went to the website and ordered it. I got a confirmation number and paid with my credit card. Maybe It is only some kind of an internet deal.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by geomax

I'd estimate over 90% of the members on this board are not capable of installing a wet NOS kit correctly. There are tons of little things that an inexperience person will miss or do incorrectly, small things like making sure the spray nozzle is angled so that the nitrous flows with the air flow and not against it, or putting loctite on the spray nozzle/adapter so that it doesn't fly off the air intake tract, etc.

Not one person has mentioned to put in colder spark plugs to lower than chances of detonation or to have the engine compression tested. If installed or used incorrectly, NOS will literally blow up your engine and make a few holes in your cylinder walls and pistons.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:22 PM

No flames, but the JCW NOS system is a DRY system, not a wet one. And if they are installing it, one would make the assumptiob that they havve at least done their homework. There are plenty of threads and links around the .org telling people that are interested where to look.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
No flames, but the JCW NOS system is a DRY system, not a wet one.
I wonder if the stock injectors will flow sufficient for a dry setup (60 shot).

I know that on the NA Z32, the 259cc/min injectors *can* be used for a 60-80 shot but they're maxed out and become static (unsafe), going way beyond their 90% duty cycle.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:35 PM

The 60 shot is the maximum jet size that comes with the kit (I think).
Old 06-28-2001, 03:38 PM
DOM

So....Will I be okay for the dry setup? Or should I cancel the order?
Old 06-28-2001, 03:45 PM

Get your engine serviced, get colder plugs (5 heat range) check compression, buy the guages and get a tranny cooler and valve body upgrade(if you are an auto) and away you go....
Old 06-28-2001, 04:12 PM
DOM

All that crap for a recreational once in awhile street user? Damn!
Old 06-28-2001, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by got rice?

I'd estimate over 90% of the members on this board are not capable of installing a wet NOS kit correctly. There are tons of little things that an inexperience person will miss or do incorrectly, small things like making sure the spray nozzle is angled so that the nitrous flows with the air flow and not against it, or putting loctite on the spray nozzle/adapter so that it doesn't fly off the air intake tract, etc.

Not one person has mentioned to put in colder spark plugs to lower than chances of detonation or to have the engine compression tested. If installed or used incorrectly, NOS will literally blow up your engine and make a few holes in your cylinder walls and pistons.
I asked about cold type plugs a long time ago. I did it in this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&pagenumber=2
Old 06-28-2001, 05:37 PM
Administrator

you have to pay to play
Old 06-28-2001, 05:47 PM

No digity.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Get your engine serviced, get colder plugs (5 heat range) check compression, buy the guages and get a tranny cooler and valve body upgrade(if you are an auto) and away you go....
are you sure #5 heat range is one step colder than stock.. ?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:22 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

http://www.clubmaxima.com/articles/N...ForParties.php

I didn't see it posted up so I decided to chime in. Thanks to MardigrasMax aka Matt for the great write up. If you want to install it yourself, take your time and read the directions. They spell everything out for you, and most of the people here will be more than glad to help anyone out with NOS questions. I have had people tell me left and right that my engine is a goner, it's gonna blow, I'm gonna die. I just ran a 14.4 and the Max is still running strong. If you have intake and exaust mods, don't run a high shot without upgrading your fuel pump. Check your plugs often for signs of detonation. It's a lot of work, not just plug and play. Like Sprint said, you gotta pay to play, but playing sure is fun...
Old 06-29-2001, 10:31 AM

Spark Plugs were mentioned. Phuong, have you been sniffing the gas? Anyways, i am using the NGK PFR6B-11. These are 1 step colder but they are also platinum. Phuong is just trying to say be cautious about it. NOS is very dangerous if used the wrong way or installed teh wrong way. If people are not mechanically inclined, then installing it wouldnt be the best idea.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:46 AM

DO NOT use platinum plugs with nitrous

The temperature flux that occurs between the initial spray of nitrous and combustion will break the platinum electrode off. At first, the nitrous makes the spark plug extremely cold and then combustion makes it extremely hot. If the electrode falls into the chamber, you can kiss your piston and rod goodbye.

David C.
Old 06-29-2001, 02:19 PM

Hmm.. well this has always seem to be a problem wiht people and plugs. Some people use plat some dont. Now i have yet to seen some kind of lab test or anything that shows what you can and cant use. I have yet to have any problems using plat plugs w/ NOS. Now, i know Don in Texas used plat as well as Mardigrasmax and they have had no problems. I have used teh Champion Copper plugs and the NGK plat plugs. I have had no problems with either o them. The only thing i can really see is the performance difference when im off the bottle. Flame me if you want but i dont see anything anythign wrong with it.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:10 AM

Re: DO NOT use platinum plugs with nitrous

The temperature flux that occurs between the initial spray of nitrous and combustion will break the platinum electrode off. At first, the nitrous makes the spark plug extremely cold and then combustion makes it extremely hot. If the electrode falls into the chamber, you can kiss your piston and rod goodbye.

David C.
Dude, where do you get your info???

Nitrous will not make a platinum electrode break off.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:52 PM

If you want a car to go faster, you have only two options:

Cubic INCHES

or...

Cubic DOLLARS.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2001, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: DO NOT use platinum plugs with nitrous

I talked to two different people. One guy told me not to use platinum plugs and the other guy said it would be fine. I guess it doesn;t matter which one you use. sorry for the confusion.

David C.

Quick Reply: NOS Question for a beginner