General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Looking to buy in december: 2003 or 2004 maxima or G35?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:25 AM

Looking to buy in december: 2003 or 2004 maxima or G35?

Hey guys,

Actually my choices are as follows:

a 2002 325 BMW...
a 2003 G35
a 2004 Maxima...

I've been told that the 2k4 max's have alot of problems as they are the first of the new generation... Though I have my doubts on this... I figure maxima.org can help in this regard ;-) hehe

But if people say the 2k3 max is a better option then i'll look into that instead...

After this, the G35 looks very appealing ;-) hehe so it's a tough descision....

What do you guys think?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Banned

I have a 2004 maxima and there havent been any serious problems, just some things on the drivers seat broke. I have 64k on it and still drives like new.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I have a 2004 maxima and there havent been any serious problems, just some things on the drivers seat broke. I have 64k on it and still drives like new.
Cool good to know

the max's i'm looking at will have roughly the same amount of mileage as your car currently has.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Banned

Take it for a spin, im sure you will love the power and ride coming from a 96. Make sure it has the 5 speed auto with manual mode and not the old 4 speed as a few early models had. Make sure the wheel dosent shimmy when you are going 60-70Mph because some cars have had a recurring problem with this, however, my car drives fine. I just replaced the front pads and it stops like new too.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 AM
"and falling like a rock"

Originally Posted by multiplexor
a 2002 325 BMW... [If you like a great car and have money to spend]
a 2003 G35 [If you like a great car]
a 2004 Maxima... [If you like a great car and want lower long term running cost]
10char......
Old 10-12-2006, 09:08 AM

325 - a slow poor mans beemer

g35 - the right way to go

04 max - no comment.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
10char......
heh that's actually how i was looking at it...

I'm thinking also at longer term cost...

ie originally before i bought my 96 max, i wanted a 96 325... but compared to the 96 maxima... the maxima was quicker, and was cheaper in the long run... but didn't have the Beamer feel (ride/shifting,etc...)

it's coming down to the same thing... the max would be cheaper on repairs, still quick, still decent looking...

Then there's the G35... i'm not sure how much parts would cost on it, etc...
But it's a nice car! :-)
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM

I'd go for the G35, but wait until spring. I would keep the 96 Maxima or buy another daily driver/POS for the winter.

Why subject a G35 or whatever you choose to the Montreal winters with all the snow and salt?

Stay clear of the 2004 Maxima.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Most* of the none 6th gen folk don't like the 2004 and up maximas for various reasons.

*Including myself, but it's still a decent car, maybe not a true maxima though...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 AM

I'd go for the G35, but wait until spring. I would keep the 96 Maxima or buy another daily driver/POS for the winter.

Why subject a G35 or whatever you choose to the Montreal winters with all the snow and salt?

It's interesting because i keep getting those types of comments in regards to the maxima...

Like with other cars, people are like "well it's ok, but not the best car... " or something like that...

But the small negative comments I do get on the 04 max are essentially "DONT DO IT!!"
with like no beating around the bush.... hehe
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 AM

Ah the reason why i'm looking at december is because i have a buyer for my max... but unfortunatly it's for december :-/

I see your point though
Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 AM

Yeah. They have no MAJOR issues, and much less than say a 3rd gen maxima.

I drove a 04 SL AUTO, and it wasn't the fastest, but had a ton of room on the inside, and a lot of thoughtful features and for its size and weight, felt fairly lite on its feet!

But, it really wasnt a Maxima to me. It was a super nice Altima, and if that floats your boat then go4it.

I think the outgoing G35's will be the best value, and if you dont mind driving an AUTO then get the G35x AWD version since it is the best of both worlds.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

I would HOPE a 2 yo car would have LESS problems than a 17 year old one
Old 10-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah. They have no MAJOR issues, and much less than say a 3rd gen maxima.

I drove a 04 SL AUTO, and it wasn't the fastest, but had a ton of room on the inside, and a lot of thoughtful features and for its size and weight, felt fairly lite on its feet!

But, it really wasnt a Maxima to me. It was a super nice Altima, and if that floats your boat then go4it.

I think the outgoing G35's will be the best value, and if you dont mind driving an AUTO then get the G35x AWD version since it is the best of both worlds.
Yeah i'm on the fence about automatic... i mean it's (and i say lightly) essentially as quick as a manual... it's just manual is such a great feel ;-)
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM

Yeah i'm on the fence about automatic... i mean it's (and i say lightly) essentially as quick as a manual... it's just manual is such a great feel ;-)
I know I'm super hard on Auto's
Like I'll lift throttle when it is about to switch gears like you do in a manual without thinking about it. Then the auto switches up, then down, then back up with a lot of drama.

I'd say in a drag, the auto/cvt would be as fast as manual and probably more consistent, but in the twisty’s I think a good manual and a good driver can be more precise in gear choices and power delivery.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I would HOPE a 2 yo car would have LESS problems than a 17 year old one

shh.... on my car: ;-)

need to change the clutch...
needs new paint job...
frame is rusting...
(i can't friggin think of the name) but it's leaking oil from the bar the goes from the wheel to the transmission... (not to sound retarded by calling it a "bar" lol )

to name a couple problem :-/ hehe

Engine is still bulletproof though!

I'm sure the car could last another 4-5 years on light maintenance... assuming i got a new clutch and paint job and fixed that last little problem...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 AM

I know I'm super hard on Auto's
Like I'll lift throttle when it is about to switch gears like you do in a manual without thinking about it. Then the auto switches up, then down, then back up with a lot of drama.

I'd say in a drag, the auto/cvt would be as fast as manual and probably more consistent, but in the twisty’s I think a good manual and a good driver can be more precise in gear choices and power delivery.
true true on the curves... you can atleast see it coming up and prepare type thing
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

G35 manumatic auto shifting ftw
Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 AM

but it's leaking oil from the bar the goes from the wheel to the transmission... (not to sound retarded by calling it a "bar" lol )
That would be your drive shaft or half shaft, and thats probably transmission fluid its leaking, not good.

Yeah it would last a long time, but if you are not into that, then it's time to move on...

Most 3rd gen folk like to work on their cars, and know that they are not worth anything, but hey we just love them to their death...

What's your budget anyways?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM

If you want more room go for the max. I personally would go for the G. The 6th gen max is nothing more than a big Altima though. imo. I drive a 2k3 6sp and love it too death.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I vote 04 Maxima, fun to drive...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 PM

That would be your drive shaft or half shaft, and thats probably transmission fluid its leaking, not good.

Yeah it would last a long time, but if you are not into that, then it's time to move on...

Most 3rd gen folk like to work on their cars, and know that they are not worth anything, but hey we just love them to their death...

What's your budget anyways?
yeah the drive shaft. needs a new seal from what i was told...

aside from those problems, the car runs pretty good... but at 10 years old... i'm likeing the idea of getting something newer...

plus i don't have as much time to perform fixes myself like i used too :-/

OH EDIT: My budget is roughly 22k canadian... that's like 19.3k USD...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Depends on what you want most:

If you want power, the BMW 325 ain't going to cut it.
If you want handling, the maxima ain't going to cut it.
If you want alot of room, the BMW/G ain't going to cut it.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Depends on what you want most:

If you want power, the BMW 325 ain't going to cut it.
If you want handling, the maxima ain't going to cut it.
If you want alot of room, the BMW/G ain't going to cut it.
hehe hmmm how about: Decent handling with good interior space, decent looks, and faster than your average car...

similar to what my max is like... I can burn civics, and other cars, i'm not overly quick... my handling... is "ok" lol, etc...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Decent handling immediately removes the maxima lol. Looks like the G sedan is your choice. It's faster and has a larger interior than the same year bmw 3 series.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Decent handling immediately removes the maxima lol. Looks like the G sedan is your choice. It's faster and has a larger interior than the same year bmw 3 series.

haha ;-) true true...
I have the SE with the rsb and fstb, hence the "decent handling" claim... lol
it's still boat like though... haha

Everyone seems to be leaning over to the G35. Even if it's not in the coupe format... the coupe would be nice, but WAY out of my range... :-/

atleast there's some g35's with about 58-65k miles on it in my price range. Being an infiniti i'm assuming that even though the mileage is this high it shouldn't mean i'll be paying big bills on repairing it right away... (i hope) lol
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM

...assuming that even though the mileage is this high it shouldn't mean i'll be paying big bills on repairing it right away... (i hope) lol

Thats one assumtion that doesnt make an *** of you and me, good choice
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Thats one assumtion that doesnt make an *** of you and me, good choice

hehe score! ;-D
Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 PM

I take it you have a 5-speed transmission. Go to a lube joint and have them check the level of your transaxle gear oil.

You have a leaky transmission seal which is no big deal and any fluid loss is negligible as gear oil is about 10 times the weight of engine oil.

I have had the same problem for 2 years and will fix it one of these days.

Given you likely have a limited-slip differential Canadian car your tranny should be good to go for years and isn't prone to the dreaded differential bearing failure that 4th Gen US Maximas experience.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:16 PM

I'd say G35 for variety's sake, and RWD. I'm pretty sure going from a 4th to a 5th gen will not be a thrill so to speak. A 2k2 BMW is the worst year to get because it's just done with the free maintenance and you'll have to start paying. If you're going to buy a used bimmer, try to get at least 1 yr. of the free maintenance, repairs are costly. I was never one to take extended warranties, but on my 335 I went for the tire protection package. A 2k6 Z4 owner told me he ruined 3 run flats, and he had the protection for $350. $350 < $900, and that $350 will cover 5 yrs.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 PM

If it isn't the wannabe, lol!

You've been going on about having bought a BMW for ages. Somehow I don't believe it, particularly since 335s weren't even out when you started blabbing about it.

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I'd say G35 for variety's sake, and RWD. I'm pretty sure going from a 4th to a 5th gen will not be a thrill so to speak. A 2k2 BMW is the worst year to get because it's just done with the free maintenance and you'll have to start paying. If you're going to buy a used bimmer, try to get at least 1 yr. of the free maintenance, repairs are costly. I was never one to take extended warranties, but on my 335 I went for the tire protection package. A 2k6 Z4 owner told me he ruined 3 run flats, and he had the protection for $350. $350 < $900, and that $350 will cover 5 yrs.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:08 AM

If it isn't the wannabe, lol!

You've been going on about having bought a BMW for ages. Somehow I don't believe it, particularly since 335s weren't even out when you started blabbing about it.
My ex-g/f bought the 330i that I got earlier this year for ~3k less than I paid, which is reasonable, and left me with the Maxima again. 1 1/2 weeks ago I ordered the 335i coupe. My order wont begin production until later this month (week 44), so I may or may not take delivery this year, but I hope so. When you order a car the salesperson can see the exact status on her system, i.e. if it's in the paintshop, loaded on the ship, etc. The bmwusa.com website is highly inaccurate I've found. On the 330i I took it from stock so I didn't go through this process before. The only thing lacking on this car is no LED tails and no limited slip, but you can't have it all.

On second thought, I think a Maxima 2k3 is just right for you, not expensive, and at least you get something that's not too outdated like you are; I don't think you've got the mindset for a BMW (based on your tire and brake comments, i.e. how you pushed your 4th gen to the limits of wear on these items) or even a G35. You've always got something negative to say, and it shows on your responses be it Murdoch or Bobo or whatever you choose to change your name to this week! 2k2 BMW, a guy as calculating as you didn't even consider the factory warranty and free maintenance factor, about as bright as the stock market comments you pm'd me 3 yrs. ago. But then again the Dow didn't hit a record yesterday, did it??! Invest with Murdoch....the sky is falling...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 AM

There is some 6th gen bashing. Notice it is coming from other gens? (Or those that don't have their car listed?) I haven't seen any 6th genner bashing other gens, not that I am looking.....but it certainly isn't as prevalent as it is vice versa.

I absolutely love mine. There have been insignificant quirks, nothing inconvienent mind you.

It does 'float'. It is fast. It is sharp looking. An Altima it is not!!!! Altima's have the cheapy plastic feel. (At least the 04 I drove did).

6th gens have luxury appeal as well as speed. It is fast on it's feet....stock. And yes, it has room for improvement, (CAI, Exhaust, headers.......)
I just get so discouraged to see others refer to us as 'not a real maxima', funny, Us 6thgenners have the VQ35 they so desperately want!

The 6thgen isn't as nimble as a g35, it also isn't as short.
It obviously isn't a BMW 3- but it is faster.

I have been very happy with my Max. The only reason I wouldn't buy another if something happened to this one, I don't care for the CVT tranny.

Swee
Old 10-13-2006, 05:29 AM

You, sir, are a tool! Don't take your frustrations out on me just because the "Doctor" dumped you and stopped letting you drive her BMW.

As far as the stock market is concerned, I don't know what you are talking about. I wasn't even a member of this website 3 years ago.

I have never pushed any maintenance item to the limit of wear. I replaced my tires at 2/32 before the wet weather set in last fall. The only brake comment I made related to a seized right rear brake caliper and when I found out about it I replaced both calipers and the brake pads immediately.

I have owned a BMW before, probably when you were in elementary school.

It was a 1973 2002 TII that handled like it was on rails.

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
My ex-g/f bought the 330i that I got earlier this year for ~3k less than I paid, which is reasonable, and left me with the Maxima again. 1 1/2 weeks ago I ordered the 335i coupe. My order wont begin production until later this month (week 44), so I may or may not take delivery this year, but I hope so. When you order a car the salesperson can see the exact status on her system, i.e. if it's in the paintshop, loaded on the ship, etc. The bmwusa.com website is highly inaccurate I've found. On the 330i I took it from stock so I didn't go through this process before. The only thing lacking on this car is no LED tails and no limited slip, but you can't have it all.

On second thought, I think a Maxima 2k3 is just right for you, not expensive, and at least you get something that's not too outdated like you are; I don't think you've got the mindset for a BMW (based on your tire and brake comments, i.e. how you pushed your 4th gen to the limits of wear on these items) or even a G35. You've always got something negative to say, and it shows on your responses be it Murdoch or Bobo or whatever you choose to change your name to this week! 2k2 BMW, a guy as calculating as you didn't even consider the factory warranty and free maintenance factor, about as bright as the stock market comments you pm'd me 3 yrs. ago. But then again the Dow didn't hit a record yesterday, did it??! Invest with Murdoch....the sky is falling...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
There is some 6th gen bashing. Notice it is coming from other gens? (Or those that don't have their car listed?) I haven't seen any 6th genner bashing other gens, not that I am looking.....but it certainly isn't as prevalent as it is vice versa.

I absolutely love mine. There have been insignificant quirks, nothing inconvienent mind you.

It does 'float'. It is fast. It is sharp looking. An Altima it is not!!!! Altima's have the cheapy plastic feel. (At least the 04 I drove did).

6th gens have luxury appeal as well as speed. It is fast on it's feet....stock. And yes, it has room for improvement, (CAI, Exhaust, headers.......)
I just get so discouraged to see others refer to us as 'not a real maxima', funny, Us 6thgenners have the VQ35 they so desperately want!

The 6thgen isn't as nimble as a g35, it also isn't as short.
It obviously isn't a BMW 3- but it is faster.

I have been very happy with my Max. The only reason I wouldn't buy another if something happened to this one, I don't care for the CVT tranny.

Swee
hehe I didn't take notice to which gen the users had, who were making comments good note... heh

I think this will boil down to a G35 vs Maxima thread... lol

I'm going to keep looking into the prices for both, until december... It might just come down price vs mileage vs car color, etc... They are very closely priced in my area, with the infiniti priced about 2k-ish higher than the max (with same mileage, use, etc...)
Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 AM

Whatever you do, multiplexor, try to buy a low mileage vehicle. That could well mean that the car hasn't been driven in winter at all or perhaps not very much.

I would distill my choices down to as few as possible. Maybe the 2003 G35 vs 2003 Maxima is the way to go. If the difference is only Cdn$2k (which I find hard to believe), I would go for the G35 as its resale value down the road should make up the difference.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 AM

Whatever you do, multiplexor, try to buy a low mileage vehicle. That could well mean that the car hasn't been driven in winter at all or perhaps not very much.

I would distill my choices down to as few as possible. Maybe the 2003 G35 vs 2003 Maxima is the way to go. If the difference is only Cdn$2k (which I find hard to believe), I would go for the G35 as its resale value down the road should make up the difference.
Yeah actually you are right... lol when i read your post i was like... hmm it does sound a bit odd that they are so closely priced... then it hit me that i'd been comparing 2003 G35's against 2004 Maximas...

compareing a 2k3 G35 to a 2k3 maxima... you get more like a (roughly) 5k difference.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

If you're getting a 6-speed manual:

- Get the 2003 Maxima if you want a big sedan with tons of space and a fair bit of sinister intent (i.e. speed).
- Get the 2003 G35 sedan if you want the sinister intent first and the comfort second.

If you're getting an automatic:

- Get the 2004 Maxima.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Old Maxima Legend

gee ..35 coupe then sedan
Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

G35 ftw!

but u should consider an '04 G35 ... by december, the prices should be well under 20k. In fact, you should consider the '05 G's for an extra 20hp.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy in december: 2003 or 2004 maxima or G35?