General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Se Rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 05:33 PM
MaxedOut97SE

To all the GXE owners who like to rag on SE's just because they don't have them:

STOP HATIN' ON US BECAUSE WE HAVE THE MODEL YOU WANT!!!!! You can tell me all day long that I wasted so much money and this and that and blah blah blah.....like DentalStud said, off the lot you can't get a better Max, sorry! And this way I don't have to tack on lame aftermarket stuff just to make my car look like an actual SE. Personally, I don't give a Maxima a second glance unless it's an SE, I don't care how many mods the car has or how rigged up it looks, it still isn't an SE. No offense to anyone that's just the way it is for me.

Old 07-02-2001, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is stupid is some of you guys trying to imply that people who are on a budget will buy a GXE. Ridiculous!!!! People who buy Maximas are on a budget. If you weren't on a budget like so called GXE owners, you wouldn't be driving a Max at all. Kill the noise about budgets!
Old 07-02-2001, 05:50 PM

Good point, Deezo.
Old 07-02-2001, 05:53 PM

But I think most SE owners can afford buying a GXE too if they choose to but We brought SE..I wonder why??
Old 07-02-2001, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by tzuuyang
But I think most SE owners can afford buying a GXE too if they choose to but We brought SE..I wonder why??
I wonder why too. If you think, you have more money than a person because they own a GXE, then you need to get out more. I work for one of the richest men on Earth(Edward Johnson III) and he owns a Volvo V70 GLT. He can have anything he wants and he bought a Volvo. Please!
Old 07-02-2001, 06:09 PM

Wwll..I really can careless about what a rich man drive..I wasn't the one who starts saying GXE is better than SE or SE is better than GXE. But I just express why I buy a SE. Since I have enough money to buy a SE and I like how it sounds. SE..SE..Doesn't it sounds better than GXE?? Besides, what kind of car ppl buy is their own business but don't tell me GXE is better than SE cause we all know it's not true..I am out..This topic is going no where...MAN..
Old 07-02-2001, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by tzuuyang
Wwll..I really can careless about what a rich man drive..I wasn't the one who starts saying GXE is better than SE or SE is better than GXE. But I just express why I buy a SE. Since I have enough money to buy a SE and I like how it sounds. SE..SE..Doesn't it sounds better than GXE?? Besides, what kind of car ppl buy is their own business but don't tell me GXE is better than SE cause we all know it's not true..I am out..This topic is going no where...MAN..
Yeah run. Show me whats better about the SE than my GXE with C&C. What your implying is going no where. Don't start that kind of stuff because there will be a lot of people on yo a$$ about it.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:16 PM
Administrator

AS I SAID BEFORE... YOUR NUMBERS ARE WRONG.. I WEIGHED MY CAR AND IT WAS 2830lbs...

Originally posted by dental stud
THE SE IS TWO POUNDS HEAVIER ACCORDING TO NISSAN THEMSELVES. IT'S IN THEIR OWN BROCHURE ON '99 MAXIMAS. WHO ELSE ARE WE TO BELIEVE?

Now that I got that out...FOR THE THIRD TIME...do you really think 2 pounds makes a car faster? If so, go on a diet, buddy, so you could "walk me". That is ridiculous...I could respond by saying that my "stiff" suspension helps me off the line because I don't get as much squat. There's some truth to that, actually. And certainly the lighter wheels (unsprung weight) also make more difference than TWO FREAKIN' POUNDS of curb weight. I don't think you can take a GXE with only $1600 extra (when the '95's came out, the GXE's started at $19,999 and the SE's at 21,599) and come out with a better car. Just the wheels and tires alone would cost that much or more if they're to be better. If you're making a complete tuner car and ripping out everything stock on your car, then get the GXE, yes. You WILL save a little money perhaps. But under NO other circumstances is it the better car. Try again.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:17 PM

And if you had the money, you should have bought a GLE, dude.

Oh wait, forgot the smilie.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Why did i buy a GXE over an SE?

The SE has better suspension..

I knew after owning my 95 and buying my 97 that 4x4 look wasn't going to last for long and i would be getting koni/sprint soon..

The SE comes with leather

I have custom two tone leather..

The SE has white face gauges..

Oh boy thats a whole lot of performance..

The SE comes with a spoiler...

I can buy a Type Two wing.. because it doesn't line up with the SE holes

The SE comes with a whooping 16 inch alloys

I knew i was going to get 18's to compliment my drop anyway.. so who cares about paying extra for 16's..

that money i saved to buy that GXE, I have custom leather, 18's, koni's and sprint and a body kit.. and who is going to tell me here that my MAXIMA doesn't look damn better than a STOCK SE Maxima?

who .. anyone got something to say? i didn't think so.. the day a STOCK SE maxima turns more heads than my car or has the ability to run 13's.. come talk to me.. other wise.. all you SE owners STFU about budget.. you over paid and thats the bottom line..
Old 07-02-2001, 06:26 PM

Thanks Sprint, now someone's gonna lock the thread.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Thanks Sprint, now someone's gonna lock the thread.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:29 PM
JMaxman93

Now i dont know about the 4th and 5th generations but heres a 3rd generation se owner speakin up! in comparing the 92-94 se and gxe the se clearly wins. The se comes stock with 190 hp while the gxe has 160. Now a couple extra pounds or not there is clearly a huge performance difference here. A lot of guys get 3rd gen gxe's and put every kind of mod they can think of and then go brag about them but all of us se guys know we could whoop them even if ours were only stock. So come start something u 3rd gen gxe's! GXE owners really do try there hardest to make it an se but well always know the truth! se's with ve's rule!

Old 07-02-2001, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by JMaxman93
Now i dont know about the 4th and 5th generations but heres a 3rd generation se owner speakin up! in comparing the 92-94 se and gxe the se clearly wins. The se comes stock with 190 hp while the gxe has 160. Now a couple extra pounds or not there is clearly a huge performance difference here. A lot of guys get 3rd gen gxe's and put every kind of mod they can think of and then go brag about them but all of us se guys know we could whoop them even if ours were only stock. So come start something u 3rd gen gxe's! GXE owners really do try there hardest to make it an se but well always know the truth! se's with ve's rule!
well stated.. gxe guys will mod this and that... but when it's time for a beatdown, call in the SE
GXE
GLE
Old 07-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Administrator

that se was getting smacked around at Etown the last time i checked by a white GXE none the less

and for the thrid gen brother.. isn't it easier to put a Turbo in a GXE than a 3rd Gen SE

Originally posted by theblue
well stated.. gxe guys will mod this and that... but when it's time for a beatdown, call in the SE
Old 07-02-2001, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
that se was getting smacked around at Etown the last time i checked by a white GXE none the less
and for the thrid gen brother.. isn't it easier to put a Turbo in a GXE than a 3rd Gen SE
mod for mod I take down ANY maxima! that's right, who else can run a 14.8 with only a cat-back.

as for etown, talk to this guy -->
Old 07-02-2001, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

It's easy enough to turbo either one, especially since the 89-91 SE and GXE had the same engine....

But here's the kicker Sprint, if you want a 3rd gen with a manual tranny, you can only grab the SE.

Take that
Old 07-02-2001, 10:57 PM

"AS I SAID BEFORE... YOUR NUMBERS ARE WRONG.. I WEIGHED MY CAR AND IT WAS 2830lbs..."

Ok then, I weighed my car and it was 2832lbs...

Whatever...Number one, I trust Nissan's own scales much more than yours. They have a stake in being right, whereas Joe Schmoe's Garage could care less and have less precise equipment. And even if they're off, the difference is still only TWO POUNDS according to Nissan...WHY WOULD NISSAN LIE ABOUT IT? Are you going to step to the extreme of saying that Nissan fudged the data? That's right, it's a conspiracy....LOL

Number two, if your number is right (highly unlikely), then you can't compare that to the Nissan claimed weight of the SE. You'd have to weigh one yourself on the same screwed-up scale...

I'm sure an SE COULD be heavier...options added usually do increase weight...but that's what you people are doing to your GXE's to get them up to "par", so that's a moot point.

EVEN IF I were to believe your flawed theory and compare your "personal" weight GXE to Nissan's claimed weight SE, how can you explain 180 pounds of difference? My white faced-gauges? My lighter wheels? My absence of the retarded-looking rear-window light? Oh, yeah, I forgot...I have a 7-pound spoiler...well, I guess that does add about 180 pounds of downforce at speeds of MACH 12! Huhlo?

Could it be possible that Nissan measured the weight of both cars with the same 180-pound man INSIDE? Hmmmmmm.....either that, or Joe Schmoe needs more calibration...
Old 07-03-2001, 05:10 AM
Administrator

does that mean i have to put on the body kit

anyway.. i am not going to compare you freak track in rochester.. i am going to compare your etown numbers.. because thats where i ran 14.7 on the same EXACT day you ran 15.2 ... so if rochester is kicking .4 I will take a 14.3 thank you very much

randy.. shut your face
Originally posted by theblue

mod for mod I take down ANY maxima! that's right, who else can run a 14.8 with only a cat-back.

as for etown, talk to this guy -->
Old 07-03-2001, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Leather Seats
Stiffer Struts and Springs
Stiffer Motor Mounts
Spoiler
Fog Lights <-- oh yeah those are less than 2lbs
Alloy Wheels and better tires
Chrome Exhaust tip <--- even that is more than 2lbs
edit: thanks to deezo.. the bose system.. that double din deck.. those speakers with the AMP's on the back of them.. thats already more than 10 lbs big man

weigh all those and see if they weigh 2lbs

come with a better argument next time boss

"AS I SAID BEFORE... YOUR NUMBERS ARE WRONG.. I WEIGHED MY CAR AND IT WAS 2830lbs..."

Ok then, I weighed my car and it was 2832lbs...

Whatever...Number one, I trust Nissan's own scales much more than yours. They have a stake in being right, whereas Joe Schmoe's Garage could care less and have less precise equipment. And even if they're off, the difference is still only TWO POUNDS according to Nissan...WHY WOULD NISSAN LIE ABOUT IT? Are you going to step to the extreme of saying that Nissan fudged the data? That's right, it's a conspiracy....LOL

Number two, if your number is right (highly unlikely), then you can't compare that to the Nissan claimed weight of the SE. You'd have to weigh one yourself on the same screwed-up scale...

I'm sure an SE COULD be heavier...options added usually do increase weight...but that's what you people are doing to your GXE's to get them up to "par", so that's a moot point.

EVEN IF I were to believe your flawed theory and compare your "personal" weight GXE to Nissan's claimed weight SE, how can you explain 180 pounds of difference? My white faced-gauges? My lighter wheels? My absence of the retarded-looking rear-window light? Oh, yeah, I forgot...I have a 7-pound spoiler...well, I guess that does add about 180 pounds of downforce at speeds of MACH 12! Huhlo?

Could it be possible that Nissan measured the weight of both cars with the same 180-pound man INSIDE? Hmmmmmm.....either that, or Joe Schmoe needs more calibration...
Old 07-03-2001, 05:20 AM

It all depends on whether you have an auto as opposed to a manual. This shows the biggest difference in weight.

Exterior Dimensions GLE GXE SE

Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) No Data 3012 3014

Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 3085 3069 3072

I don't even think these figures are totally correct. Maybe it really depends on what the cars had in them when they were weighed in. I really don't think my GXE is 2 pounds lighter than a SE with an auto. I know I am much lighter. The Bose itself is probably 2 pounds heavier. Lets not get into the ABS, Leather, sunroof and the 7 pound wing.

Number two, if your number is right (highly unlikely).....,
Highly likely. It was a truckers scale that the Staties use.

SE owners do the same mods. The cars are "Par" from the get go. Don't make me laugh.

EVEN IF I were to believe your flawed theory and compare your "personal" weight GXE to Nissan's claimed weight SE, how can you explain 180 pounds of difference?
Ask the people who go to the track on a regular basis. I believe some of them run with 15" wheels, no interior(just about), no spare, as little fuel as possible in the tank and no carpeting in the trunk. Ask these guys to explain it to you. If they don't answer you, ask the car. The car feels every little difference.

Old 07-03-2001, 05:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i still prefer my 95 SE to my 96 GLE, but they are both good models.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by BlancMax
i still prefer my 95 SE to my 96 GLE, but they are both good models.

Hey, keep this a GXE/SE war.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:11 AM

Hey, keep this a GXE/SE war.
medicsonic... the Switzerland of maxima.org
Old 07-03-2001, 07:37 AM

"Leather Seats
Stiffer Motor Mounts
Spoiler
edit: thanks to deezo.. the bose system.. that double din deck.. those speakers with the AMP's on the back of them.. thats already more than 10 lbs big man

come with a better argument next time boss"

LEATHER SEATS: These are an option, what we are comparing are bone stock GXE vs. bone stock SE. So no difference--try again.

STIFFER STRUTS and SPRINGS and "MOTOR MOUNTS": Why, exactly, are these so much heavier? Stiffer=heavier does not compute, according to Webster's...

SPOILER: I already accounted for it...it is 7 pounds. Chalk up 7 pounds for you guys. Wait, you've got that nasty light in the rear window...that's a pound or two. Better make that 5 for you guys.

FOG LIGHTS: I have held them in my hand...they might be a pound or two each...I'll be so bold as to give you 5 pounds.
You've now got ten pounds on me.

ALLOY WHEELS and "BETTER TIRES": ok...so you at least conceded that something about our cars is BETTER...but for real...the ALUMINUM alloy wheels are LIGHTER than your "wheels" (read: hunks of ugly black STEEL with some plastic covering). No points there for you. It probably negates your 10-pound advantage, as well. Sorry. And the "BETTER TIRES"? Again, WHY are these heavier? Explain yourself, man. We're back to even, bro.

CHROME EXHAUST TIP: Don't make me laugh...1 pound, tops...It might weigh two, but you've got a tip too...maybe a pound of difference. Wait, I've got to get two pounds difference. Ok, it's 2 pounds more.

BOSE SYSTEM: Sorry, but this is an option once again. It may add weight, but so would your "optional" aftermarket stereo...but this is why I said an SE COULD be heavier...because you CAN load it up with options...but it doesn't come that way stock...we are comparing stock for stock...no difference.

I have weighed them, and they weigh about 2 pounds to the tee.

come with more knowledge next time boss

P.S. To the guy who posted the weights...thanks, but you switched manual vs. auto. Manual models are the lighter ones lighter. Just to clear it up.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Since there is no such thing as a bone stock GXE.. lets go with the fully loaded SE .. one like theblue has

re-calculate boss

oh and yes struts and springs do weigh more.. as do the aftermarket ones

"Leather Seats
Stiffer Motor Mounts
Spoiler

come with a better argument next time boss"

LEATHER SEATS: These are an option, what we are comparing are bone stock GXE vs. bone stock SE. So no difference--try again.

STIFFER STRUTS and SPRINGS and "MOTOR MOUNTS": Why, exactly, are these so much heavier? Stiffer=heavier does not compute, according to Webster's...

SPOILER: I already accounted for it...it is 7 pounds. Chalk up 7 pounds for you guys. Wait, you've got that nasty light in the rear window...that's a pound or two. Better make that 5 for you guys.

FOG LIGHTS: I have held them in my hand...they might be a pound or two each...I'll be so bold as to give you 5 pounds.
You've now got ten pounds on me.

ALLOY WHEELS and "BETTER TIRES": ok...so you at least conceded that something about our cars is BETTER...but for real...the ALUMINUM alloy wheels are LIGHTER than your "wheels" (read: hunks of ugly black STEEL with some plastic covering). No points there for you. It probably negates your 10-pound advantage, as well. Sorry. And the "BETTER TIRES"? Again, WHY are these heavier? Explain yourself, man. We're back to even, bro.

CHROME EXHAUST TIP: Don't make me laugh...1 pound, tops...It might weigh two, but you've got a tip too...maybe a pound of difference. Wait, I've got to get two pounds difference. Ok, it's 2 pounds more.

BOSE SYSTEM: Sorry, but this is an option once again. It may add weight, but so would your "optional" aftermarket stereo...but this is why I said an SE COULD be heavier...because you CAN load it up with options...but it doesn't come that way stock...we are comparing stock for stock...no difference.

I have weighed them, and they weigh about 2 pounds to the tee.

come with more knowledge next time boss

P.S. To the guy who posted the weights...thanks, but you switched manual vs. auto. Manual models are the lighter ones lighter. Just to clear it up.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:53 AM

"Since there is no such thing as a bone stock GXE.. lets go with the fully loaded SE .. one like theblue has"

Of course there is such a thing...there just might not be too many around. Neither are there many bone stock SE's. But that has to be the starting point, because THAT is the car in its purest form. And that is undoubtedly what Nissan used in making its determination. If you want to take a stripper GXE and compare it to a loaded SE, then of course your car is lighter. But at least we all see that you are resorting to this, rather than explaining away 180 pounds of difference that really doesn't exist.

Know what? You win! Your car is lighter! But we all now know that the difference is so minimal (a couple dozen pounds tops, even with options) that it will NEVER make a true difference on the road. As I said before, if 10 pounds made that big of a diff, we should all starve ourselves so our cars would go faster...no thanks....I'll stay healthy, thank-you, and enjoy my leather seats and Bose stereo that make my car run 15.21 instead of 15.20 in the quarter. (please no one come back with "I ran a 14.8!"...I'm using Motor Trend data, not real-world) And my SE will look worlds better than any stock GXE doing so. I'm happy. Are you? Good. Then let's drop it.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:02 AM
Administrator

are we going dollar for dollar? meaning what you spent on your SE and what i spent on my GXE plus mods to equal you?

are you saying that your car looks better than mine?

"Since there is no such thing as a bone stock GXE.. lets go with the fully loaded SE .. one like theblue has"

Of course there is such a thing...there just might not be too many around. Neither are there many bone stock SE's. But that has to be the starting point, because THAT is the car in its purest form. And that is undoubtedly what Nissan used in making its determination. If you want to take a stripper GXE and compare it to a loaded SE, then of course your car is lighter. But at least we all see that you are resorting to this, rather than explaining away 180 pounds of difference that really doesn't exist.

Know what? You win! Your car is lighter! But we all now know that the difference is so minimal (a couple dozen pounds tops, even with options) that it will NEVER make a true difference on the road. As I said before, if 10 pounds made that big of a diff, we should all starve ourselves so our cars would go faster...no thanks....I'll stay healthy, thank-you, and enjoy my leather seats and Bose stereo that make my car run 15.21 instead of 15.20 in the quarter. (please no one come back with "I ran a 14.8!"...I'm using Motor Trend data, not real-world) And my SE will look worlds better than any stock GXE doing so. I'm happy. Are you? Good. Then let's drop it.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:16 AM

well, if you had read more carefully...I said it looked better than any STOCK GXE. Yours probably does look better than my nearly stock SE. But of course now mine is lighter than yours with all that stuff you've done...LOL I'm out...no more comments on this overdone topic. If I haven't made my point yet, then some people just can't accept the truth...
Old 07-03-2001, 09:25 AM

Sprint

Why even go on? You are talking to a brick wall(or a stud behind a brick wall).
Old 07-03-2001, 12:37 PM

BUMP!
Old 07-03-2001, 01:01 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

BUMP!

I hope I don't have to invoke the "medicsonic 3-day rule".....
Old 07-03-2001, 01:06 PM

Hey, this thread was funny, I wanted to see more 'intelligent conversation'.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:10 PM

Hey, this thread was funny, I wanted to see more 'intelligent conversation'.
Hey Medic, how did you like the "I got more money than you" undertone?
Old 07-03-2001, 01:12 PM

I think its funny that someone would talk about having 'more money than you' and then go and buy a 25,000 car. Hell, if I had 'cheddar', I sure as hell wouldn't have a Maxima. OK, maybe a GLE since they are 'higher class', but...
Old 07-03-2001, 01:16 PM

I think its funny that someone would talk about having 'more money than you' and then go and buy a 25,000 car. Hell, if I had 'cheddar', I sure as hell wouldn't have a Maxima. OK, maybe a GLE since they are 'higher class', but...
You see the Cebera in my sig pic, I would have that if I had the cheddar and shorter legs.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:20 PM

That car is hella fast, I like driving it in GT2.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:23 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

...Hell, if I had 'cheddar', I sure as hell wouldn't have a Maxima. OK, maybe a GLE since they are 'higher class', but...

Uh oh, are going to rehash the American VS Cheddar cheese debate we had in OT...(I hope so)
Old 07-03-2001, 01:24 PM
Administrator

even when you think you are alone.. evil bill is always watching
Old 07-03-2001, 01:24 PM

American is a 'cheese product', its not real cheese. Yoinks!

Quick Reply: Se Rules