General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: How do you treat those who tailgate your car.
It pisses me off and i start braking hard on that person.
38.30%
it piss me off but i dont react at all.
6.38%
i dont pay attention to anyone behind me.
6.38%
it doesnt piss me off and i dont mess with tailgaters.
4.26%
i change the lane and let that person pass.
25.53%
i hate those who tailgates me.
17.02%
i tailgate to other so it doesnt bother me.
0%
others as i specified by posting.
6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

How do you treat those who tailgate your max.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
2002 maxima se

How do you treat those who tailgate your max.

we all drive on highways and sometime we get to see some crazy driver tailgating us. well when i see in my rear view mirror and find someone tailgating me it **** me off and i start braking hard on that person so he could get the heck out of my tail. i dont know how you people deal with those type of drivers so please vote or share your views on tailgaters.
NOTE: anyone can vote this poll no matter if you owns a maxima or not.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Mass_Media™

down shift and slow down.

Then when they try to pass go faster.

Repeat as necessary.

If problem continues let them pass, then tailgate them....99% of the people out there will just tap there brakes. Show no fear. Stay on there ***.

If equipped with terror roll tints....terror roll up on some b!tches..
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Not a big fan of tailgaters either, but safety should reign here. Sure I get fired up and want to stomp on my brakes so they do a Hollywood movie flip over my car and thier shyt explodes upon impact, or pull over to the side of the road and give them a little chop sake salad sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but in reality, some horrible shyt can happen if you do that. Least of which is crunching up your Max.

I say next time it happens, and you've got a douchbag riding on your nibblets, just find a safe way to get away from them. Be it by getting some distance by putting the hammer down (letting them know that way witout being antagonzing), picking another lane or by simply letting them go by. Be a shame to ruin your day, perhaps your life and your Max to send such a message to some tailgating jagoff like that. Not worth it in my opinion. Just my.02
Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
大陆弟弟

I've always tapped on my brakes and 95% of them will keep a distance. The other 5% I move to the side and tail gate them for a few miles.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Not a big fan of tailgaters either, but safety should reign here. Sure I get fired up and want to stomp on my brakes so they do a Hollywood movie flip over my car and thier shyt explodes upon impact, or pull over to the side of the road and give them a little chop sake salad sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but in reality, some horrible shyt can happen if you do that. Least of which is crunching up your Max.

I say next time it happens, and you've got a douchbag riding on your nibblets, just find a safe way to get away from them. Be it by getting some distance by putting the hammer down (letting them know that way witout being antagonzing), picking another lane or by simply letting them go by. Be a shame to ruin your day, perhaps your life and your Max to send such a message to some tailgating jagoff like that. Not worth it in my opinion. Just my.02
Just gtfo of their way and catch up if the need for speed comes up!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 PM

i give them the 4ways once, if that dont fix it, they get brake lights!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM
heresmymind

if its super bad. pull over and let them pass. then i like to open my high beam flap on my bixenon hid at 6000k. ive done that 2 times so far. and they seem to pull over right away. and then give some distance. they are completely

Old 01-03-2007, 09:53 PM

I usually slow down and when the try to pass in the other lane I mash the gas and show them the 3.5 power. If that doesn't work I take my ash tray full of coins and toss them out the window! They tend to back off after that.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
2002 maxima se

but we must also be aware of those loco drivers that carry illegal weapons in thier cars and can take your life just for acting too smart or i can say too dumb. we do hear often about freeway shootings. so i wouldnt play along with those tailgaters that often.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by KickerMax02
I usually slow down and when the try to pass in the other lane I mash the gas and show them the 3.5 power. If that doesn't work I take my ash tray full of coins and toss them out the window! They tend to back off after that.
I hope you're not serious. That's just asking for trouble. I usually just drive normally and switch lanes as soon as I see a safe opening, but the tailgater usually sees the same opening and pulls some crazy leapfrog bit to get around me. That's why I signal my intentions well in advance and keep them in my sights to make sure we don't tangle. It usually inconveniences me to tap the brakes a bit to let them by, but that's a lot better than messing up my car or having to deal with insurance, body shops, cops, etc.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:28 PM

I just let them pass and give them the highbeams, works excellent at night!!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 AM
wat

Originally Posted by Q8BallMAXIMA
I just let them pass and give them the highbeams, works excellent at night!!
haha yeah, and esp when they cant escape the VQ

It makes me a little angry, but it pisses me off when the a$$ has their headlights aimed up into the trees or has a tall *** suv or truck... and it really irks me when its a multi lane road. Normally scince i drive an auto ill just tap the brake w/ my left foot but keep my right foot on the gas...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Why do people get so angry about tailgaters? Jeez, it just means they want to go faster than me. Pull over and let em pass. Mashing the brakes is the most moronic thing you can do, and if you've ever been rear-ended, you know that. That's how I lost my 4th gen. Insurance claims, injury claims, doctor's offices, physical therapy, rental cars, and body shops FTMFL. My view is this, if there's a maniac out there that actually WANTS to go faster than me, godspeed. Then HE can be the rabbit to take the lead that I'll pass a few miles down the road while he's sitting on the shoulder with red and blue lights flashing behind him.

Btw, I tailgate too, but only when there is only one car in front of me. Sometimes they pull over and I go on my merry way. I figure they got the message. Other times they "mash the brakes" and I use the oppertunity (given I can see far enough that I know I can) to downshift into 3rd and floor it by them. Either way, I get my way.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 AM

I use to loose myself in anger before when I was confronted with a tailgater...so much that the last time I got tailgated (by an RX8) I stepped on the gas and hit lkie over 100mph...bad idea on a 45 mph zone...moral of the story...I got stopped and payed a $295 ticket (lucky I did not go jail)....so now I just slow down a lot...I mean a lot...to like 20mph.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 AM
+Cru OG

People who don't use their blinkers bothers me more than tailgaters.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I like to be in my Volvo when I have a tailgater behind me... I plugged in the missing right rear fog light bulb so they light up on both sides and look just like brake lights. I just flick on the rear fogs... Makes them think I braked without actually having to do it and risking them slamming in to me.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 AM
heresmymind

that just sparked an idea. I do have a pair of tiny projector fogs i want to put in my reverse light area and remove those. maybe ill put up an aux switch for em.... ANd ill show em who's boss.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Only people that tailgate me sometimes are SUV's and raised trucks. For Some reason they think they are king of the road so I just put my hands up in the rear view and shake my head to say "Where are you trying to go?" Most of them back off because they realize its not me whose going slow. Or I move out alittle so they can see that there are other cars in front of me who are the ones causing us to go slow and they back off. Then for those morons that don't get the message at all I just deal with it until I slow for a yellow light and they slam on their brakes. Then I take off quick on green leaving them in the dust.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Puniverse

not worth it to mess with them
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
People who don't use their blinkers bothers me more than tailgaters.
I hate that too
Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I usually spin the car around,jam it in reverse,shoot out their front tires,then spin it back around and continue on to my destination..
Old 01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I usually spin the car around,jam it in reverse,shoot out their front tires,then spin it back around and continue on to my destination..
Thats pretty good, but I push a button and my trunk monkey opens the trunk and starts throwing metal objects at the car
Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by The Law
Thats pretty good, but I push a button and my trunk monkey opens the trunk and starts throwing metal objects at the car

Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Let Them Go By! If They Want To Go Faster Than You And Run Police Interference So Be It!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
I like to be in my Volvo when I have a tailgater behind me... I plugged in the missing right rear fog light bulb so they light up on both sides and look just like brake lights. I just flick on the rear fogs... Makes them think I braked without actually having to do it and risking them slamming in to me.
I've found that even the single rear fog on my wifes SAAB 93 is very effective at removing tailgaters. If I'm in the left lane, I will signal and move over asap. If I'm in the right lane or on a 2 lane, I'm more likely to "drop the hammer" and put some distance between us. I really don't mind tailgaters, most of the time they just want to get by.

I get more tweeked over the dumb a$$ passing on the right. You want to get the "block" from me start passing people on the right before they have a change to move to the right (I know some of the morons out there force you to pass them on the right, since they are incapable of driving correctly).

Do not slam on the brakes, that is the dumbest thing you can do and you are just asking to have a accident (depending on the state and insurance laws you could by found partially at fault.... then your ins pays not his. Say hello to higher rates.... oh and liability would suck becouse then you get to fix or write off your car)

My advise is to get out of their way, 99% just want to get by your slow A$$ lol
Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Why do people get so angry about tailgaters? Jeez, it just means they want to go faster than me. Pull over and let em pass. Mashing the brakes is the most moronic thing you can do, and if you've ever been rear-ended, you know that. That's how I lost my 4th gen. Insurance claims, injury claims, doctor's offices, physical therapy, rental cars, and body shops FTMFL. My view is this, if there's a maniac out there that actually WANTS to go faster than me, godspeed. Then HE can be the rabbit to take the lead that I'll pass a few miles down the road while he's sitting on the shoulder with red and blue lights flashing behind him.

Btw, I tailgate too, but only when there is only one car in front of me. Sometimes they pull over and I go on my merry way. I figure they got the message. Other times they "mash the brakes" and I use the oppertunity (given I can see far enough that I know I can) to downshift into 3rd and floor it by them. Either way, I get my way.

One more note: If you "mash" your brakes and cause an accident, you CAN be found at fault for it. As far as the police/insurance/laws/courts are concerned; failure to avoid an accident with malicious intent and wreckless endangerment > following too closely. Not to mention you could also be charged with risk of injury to a minor if anyone under 18 is in the tailgater's car, as well as a whole new set of charges if anyone in the tailgater's car is injured. All this and more might be yours if the tailgater can prove you stopped purposefully by skidmarks, witnesses, etc. Just something to think about.

I don't even bother, cause my car is too nice to have some idiot rearend me. I am all about going fast, so if someone wants to fly, when it is safe and I don't have to get out of cruise control I switch lanes.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
heresmymind

If I want to be a real jerk... i speed up 15 mph of speed limit.. if they keep up i let em pass me. i turn on my strobe/police lights (police internship). pull em over. call in full fledge officer and laugh as they get wreckless driving:-p

Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by heresmymind
If I want to be a real jerk... i speed up 15 mph of speed limit.. if they keep up i let em pass me. i turn on my strobe/police lights (police internship). pull em over. call in full fledge officer and laugh as they get wreckless driving:-p
LOL bastard police intern ftw
Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

I dont drive slow in the fast lane. If Im in the fast lane and someone behind me wants to go faster I move. If someone is tailgaiting me in one of the other lanes than he can move, I dont let it bother me.

If you are driving in the fast lane and the guy behind you wants to go faster, YOU NEED TO ****ING MOVE!, thats what the ****ing fast lane is for and when you let them pass, dont **** with them either. If your getting tailgated in any other lane, its fair game.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 PM

I'm not gonna risk my car by doing any retarded brake-checking or messing around with the person. You're an idiot and totally irresponsible if you do that with your car.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 PM

eh.. I just let off the gas until they cant stand it anymore and just pass..and the way I see it - if I get hit from behind its their fault..
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Usually I pull out of their way, if possible!

If I am in the right lane and getting ridden by some impatient indivdual, and I am feeling concerned because they are too close for me to brake if I need to, I hit and hold my windshield washer switch. I just keep spraying until they slow down to turn on their wipers and clean my fluid off their windows.

No harm done, no damage and in a worse case scenario (The jerk behind you is a psycho), you can always confuse them with the 'gee, did I get you wet while cleaning my windshield' look.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Let Them Go By! If They Want To Go Faster Than You And Run Police Interference So Be It!
No! Me And My Maxima Are Kings Of The Road!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
is invisible

btw, I'll tailgate someone in the left lane (aka the passing lane), but usually will end up passing that entitled person on the right (did that all day on penn. turnpike where signs say "No Passing On Right").
Other day I had some girl on my bumper as I was accelerating casually from a light. Usually I go about 5mph above the limit, but in this case I just did the limit and fiddled with my radio. She passed me in a turning lane, but I ended up behind her at the next light. Must have been an ER MD and had a life to save.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 PM
STFU n00b!

I'll tap my brakelights a couple times.. if they're still riding my ***, I show them how well these work.......

Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Depends on my mood. Usually I get out of the way.

Sometimes when I'm bored and the situation allows it I flex and pull away. Show them what the max is all about.

I never tap the brakes. That is so soccer mom-ish, lame and if you're dealing with an azzhole, dangerous.

Also I think what if this person has an emergency? What if their spouse, child or something is in danger or has been hurt? That is why I either get out of the way or pull away.

Either way it allows them to speed and get to where they're rushing off to or get beat in their own game when I leave them in a state of confusion from the pull away.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'll tap my brakelights a couple times.. if they're still riding my ***, I show them how well these work.......

that wheel is leaking air or water?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
One more note: If you "mash" your brakes and cause an accident, you CAN be found at fault for it. As far as the police/insurance/laws/courts are concerned; failure to avoid an accident with malicious intent and wreckless endangerment > following too closely. Not to mention you could also be charged with risk of injury to a minor if anyone under 18 is in the tailgater's car, as well as a whole new set of charges if anyone in the tailgater's car is injured. All this and more might be yours if the tailgater can prove you stopped purposefully by skidmarks, witnesses, etc. Just something to think about.
actually thats false...if someone is riding on ur **** and u hit the brake then they hit u, its their fault...ur not supposed to come close half a car on someones rear anyway. iduno about other states, but here in tx road rage is taken seriously and u recieve the fattest ticket on earth...I just downshift and then its funny because they almost hit me lol...now u tell me whos fault
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 707SE

Sometimes when I'm bored and the situation allows it I flex and pull away. Show them what the max is all about.

I never tap the brakes. That is so soccer mom-ish, lame and if you're dealing with an azzhole, dangerous.

Also I think what if this person has an emergency? What if their spouse, child or something is in danger or has been hurt? That is why I either get out of the way or pull away.

Either way it allows them to speed and get to where they're rushing off to or get beat in their own game when I leave them in a state of confusion from the pull away.

this is why hazzards came with the car
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by 707SE

you are right what if his wife is getting raped by his own homie and hes in rush to save that b**** azz. ooops sorry but i hate these tailgaters doesnt matter if they are in rush but they have no rights to break the law and paranoid other innocent drivers on the road.

Quick Reply: How do you treat those who tailgate your max.