General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: How do you treat those who tailgate your car.
It pisses me off and i start braking hard on that person.
38.30%
it piss me off but i dont react at all.
6.38%
i dont pay attention to anyone behind me.
6.38%
it doesnt piss me off and i dont mess with tailgaters.
4.26%
i change the lane and let that person pass.
25.53%
i hate those who tailgates me.
17.02%
i tailgate to other so it doesnt bother me.
0%
others as i specified by posting.
6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

How do you treat those who tailgate your max.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 707SE

Also I think what if this person has an emergency? What if their spouse, child or something is in danger or has been hurt? That is why I either get out of the way or pull away.

Either way it allows them to speed and get to where they're rushing off to or get beat in their own game when I leave them in a state of confusion from the pull away.

this is why hazzards came with the car
Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by kencapel
actually thats false...if someone is riding on ur **** and u hit the brake then they hit u, its their fault...ur not supposed to come close half a car on someones rear anyway. iduno about other states, but here in tx road rage is taken seriously and u recieve the fattest ticket on earth...I just downshift and then its funny because they almost hit me lol...now u tell me whos fault
exactly.
its tailgaters fault if he/she hit you from behind while tailgating. we have all rights to hit the brake as hard as we want. the person behind us should be more concerned about leaving a gap.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kencapel
this is why hazzards came with the car
Whatever, the point is that I usually get out of the way.
Besides, what do you accomplish with the Soccer Mom Brake Tap?
Just move to the right and if you're in the right lane then move to the left.

Just move. A Soccer Mom Brake Tap will only aggravate the situation.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 PM

Depends on my mood. Usually I get out of the way.

Sometimes when I'm bored and the situation allows it I flex and pull away. Show them what the max is all about.

I never tap the brakes. That is so soccer mom-ish, lame and if you're dealing with an azzhole, dangerous.

Also I think what if this person has an emergency? What if their spouse, child or something is in danger or has been hurt? That is why I either get out of the way or pull away.

Either way it allows them to speed and get to where they're rushing off to or get beat in their own game when I leave them in a state of confusion from the pull away.
same here, i down shift and pull away. and once in awhile i'll flash the hazard in short spurts. either way, i get out of the lane, i dont want noone to hit my car period.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 AM
wat

Depends on my mood. Usually I get out of the way.

Sometimes when I'm bored and the situation allows it I flex and pull away. Show them what the max is all about.

I never tap the brakes. That is so soccer mom-ish, lame and if you're dealing with an azzhole, dangerous.

Normally intelligent people who are in a rush will use their hazzards and flash their headlights/brights to show they really are in a rush
Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by OC guy
exactly.
its tailgaters fault if he/she hit you from behind while tailgating. we have all rights to hit the brake as hard as we want. the person behind us should be more concerned about leaving a gap.
I will delete my previous posts. I researched a bit further the cases I had used to draw my previous opinion, and both of them had some uncommon circumstances surrounding the subject that makes them fairly untypical. I suppose in a common sense, 99 times out of 100 the tailgater will be found at fault.

I still say it's a moronic thing to do, however. Having been rear-ended myself, I have to say it's just not worth the chronic pain, insurance claims, body shops (a 31 day repair job??), lawyers, adjusters, police reports, rental cars, and not to mention, even after getting repaired, your max may never be the same. Mine sure wasn't, I had to get rid of it and pick up a car payment. All of that, in which it's now seven months later and that whole issue STILL isn't resolved; it's just not worth it to try and teach ONE tailgater a lesson when there will be THREE more tomorrow.

Btw, I don't slam my brakes to teach anyone a lesson, given I was stopped at the time and chances are mashing your breaks in front of a tailgater won't bring nearly as much harm as what came to me, it's the principle. Getting rear-ended sucks, and the more you try and brake-check tailgaters, the better chance it's going to happen to you.

If someone wants to go that much faster THAT badly, and it's open road in front of you? Why get pissed? Let him go... he's no longer in your hair and isn't inconveniencing anyone anymore. Unless you're one of those "left-lane vigilantes" that believe's it's your duty to slow anyone and everyone down, what's the harm in letting the azz go?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 AM

I've been trying very hard to not get upset driving anymore. I used to yell and curse at the slightest bs, and I've learned to control that. When I start driving my new car on a daily basis, I don't want to risk myself (lack of airbags and less car surrounding me and my passengers) or the car over petty sht. Tailgators still get me angry, but I just sit back, turn up the stereo, flip my rearview down, and just ride (if not on a two lane road or more).
Old 01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
ignotum per ignotius

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Let Them Go By! If They Want To Go Faster Than You And Run Police Interference So Be It!
+1, 2 and 3. IMO, who is the more dangerous driver, the one who tailgating someone because they wanted to go faster than them, or the one who reacted by tailgating them in return, is flashing their high beams and blinding other drivers, slamming on their brakes and risking a pile-up, and accelerating to triple digit speeds?!? If a cop saw the entire senario, there would only be one person that he charged with reckless driving, and it would be the one trying to teach the tailgater a "lesson."

Unless you have a blue light bar on your roof, there is nothing you can do that will cause another driver to drive more responsibly. So you have two choices as a response to them: let your emotions take over, and force the situation to escalate into illegal and dangerous behavior, with no possible positive outcomes, or let the ******-f'er pass, and be done with him. If you retaliate against them, that will only make them more angry, and now you have TWO pissed-off drivers looking for revenge, good job, pat yourself on the back!

I speak from experience. When I was younger I used to "retaliate" against tailgaters, and although nothing terrible happened some pretty frightening situations occured that caused me to rethink my methods.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by OC guy
that wheel is leaking air or water?
I'd just cleaned the wheels before putting them back on the car. rest of the car was dirty, but at least there's no brake dust on the inside of the wheel.

Generally by the time anyone is tailgating me, they're doing WELL over the legal limit. and if they're riding my *** close enough that it scares me (which takes quite a bit), then they're 99% of the time road-raging morons. those guys I'll put in check. If they're just in a hurry, there's always the other lane as I always pull over for someone that comes up behind me. but 99% of the time I drive slightly faster than the rest of the cars on the road... either way, I get out of the way of people who come up behind me.... but tailgaters are a special breed and I deal with them very harshly. I've seen them rear-end innocent people and run people off the road because they're being too aggressive... so I put a stop to it before it happens to me.

The way traffic is here in Houston, you can be cruising with traffic at 80mph around a corner and the highway will be at a dead stop 100 yards ahead and you can't see it. by the time you do see it, you have to slam on your brakes and ye ol' tailgater has just punted your poor car into next week... and 75% of the time in Houston, they're illegals and have no insurance.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Usually I pull out of their way, if possible!

If I am in the right lane and getting ridden by some impatient indivdual, and I am feeling concerned because they are too close for me to brake if I need to, I hit and hold my windshield washer switch. I just keep spraying until they slow down to turn on their wipers and clean my fluid off their windows.

No harm done, no damage and in a worse case scenario (The jerk behind you is a psycho), you can always confuse them with the 'gee, did I get you wet while cleaning my windshield' look.

ahhahahahahahah... that is awesome....

I never thought about that....
Old 01-05-2007, 09:37 AM
What's next!?..

If there's space coming up, I'll usually move over and let them pass.
Not worth the headache and stress to mess with them.

If I'm stuck because everyone else in front of me is goin slow, then I ignore the idiot until it clears up in front and then step on the gas and show them how fast a Maxima can go.

The best time was when I was cruisin to work on 287 one day and this guy in an eclipse was tailgating me. So I get let him pass and maybe a mile later I see the same guy on the side of the road parked in front of a state trooper. ROFL. That was pretty sweet.