General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2007 altima or maxima ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 PM

2007 altima or maxima ?

im kinda disappointed and confused the new maxima has 255hp and the altima has 270hp wasn't the maxima the flagship car?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Please resize your sig pic to meet the forum guidelines of 550 x 325 pixels.

Drive them both and see which you like the most.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by jawwaad05
im kinda disappointed and confused the new maxima has 255hp and the altima has 270hp wasn't the maxima the flagship car?
Yes. Altima was redesigned for 07, Maxima was a continuation of the 6th gen with a new transmission and minor differences. This has been discussed a lot recently, I'm sure if you scroll down a little you'd find a thread regarding this issue.

Long story short:
Most people think Maxima is going to be redesigned as a luxury vehicle in the large car class (like Toyota Avalon) With the Altima picking up the midsize sport sedan class (with a coupe version available as well).

Some people think Maxima will be redesigned with more power, still straddling that line lost in a position between sport and luxury, not really overwhelmingly appealing to either class.

A select few morons are blabbering on about hopes of the new Max being a 300+hp RWD coupe . Studies have shown that the average age of this group is 16.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Get the Altima since it is avaiable in MT.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Altima IMO. There's just no benefit to getting a maxima besides tiny little odds and ends like heated steering wheel, etc. I test drove both back to back, and the altima out-handled the max by far, and for some reason the ride seemed smoother. Much of this has to do with the strengthened frame and revised suspension geometry that the altima has over the max. Also as Nmex mentioned, you are able to get the 6-speed which is >>>> than the CVT. I would not doubt that the altima could run 13s stock because my car ran a 14.3 and this one just felt so much faster and traction was much easier to come by in the altima. And finally, the altima comes with nearly the same options as the maxima for thousands less....just my opinion, the maxima is still a great car for what it is, but it's not what I want it to be, personally.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 AM

Yeah, I'd go with what's said above. Wait for the Altima Coupe, comes out mid-year and get the 6SPD. Very nice body styling, good power, can be luxury if you want it to be, etc etc
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM

At the moment the Altima & Maxima are very comparable, however in the coming year or two I'm certain we will see some dramatic changes/improvements to the Maxima that will set it apart from the Altima.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:41 PM

Maxima is resonably priced but luxorious!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 AM

yeah I just drove an 07 Max and Altima back to back last Saturday...and was really dissappointed with what they've done with the Maxima (no offense to my 6 gen friends), just felt the Altima is more sporty
Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 AM

neither...... go and buy an 05-06 Maxima with 265hp and add a few mods to it. You will then be over 270hp, since that is all you care about....

The new maximas and altimas have no bolt on parts yet. By the time they come out, your car should be a street beast.... Go with an SE with the elite package, and if your lucky you will find a 6sp maxima....
Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 AM

The new altima is ugly. Those taillights are the worst ever. The next maxima better have 300hp.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 PM

you know its getting kinda old how most people are saying "Im dissapointed with the new maxima blah blah crap" who cares go out and get an 04-06...its nothing but an introduction to the next line of nissans, and only displaying the CVT and other small optional stuff so BIG DEAL...There is no comparison between these cars at all which u can see so its said and done, shouldnt even be debated at all...so just give nissan a break, im sure the next maxima will have stepped up its game a notch because it will always wear the pants over the altima...its also said there will be an improved one coming so lets just sit tight and come up with how we're gonna cope with these high powered 4 doors coming out
Old 01-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by kencapel
you know its getting kinda old how most people are saying "Im dissapointed with the new maxima blah blah crap" who cares go out and get an 04-06...its nothing but an introduction to the next line of nissans, and only displaying the CVT and other small optional stuff so BIG DEAL...There is no comparison between these cars at all which u can see so its said and done, shouldnt even be debated at all...so just give nissan a break, im sure the next maxima will have stepped up its game a notch because it will always wear the pants over the altima...its also said there will be an improved one coming so lets just sit tight and come up with how we're gonna cope with these high powered 4 doors coming out
I don't really understand your argument here, but I think somewhere in that wonderful grammatical display that you mentioned the altima isn't comparable to a maxima? How so? Ever since 2002, the Altima and the maxima have been fairly closely related. This year with the release of the 2007 altima it closed the gap even further with an increased options list and a vastly improved interior. CVT vs. CVT I would still take the altima, it's not a matter of just the transmission. Having driven both, I found that one car felt very light on it's feet, soaked up the bumps nicely, and felt very controlled and there was one that didn't. Like I mentioned before, the maxima is still a very nice car, it's just that to me (along with most other car enthusiasts) the altima is worth getting over the maxima because it's a better driving and riding car (not to mention it's freakin fast with the 6-speed) and I don't want to sacrifice performance for a few (IMO) worthless options. For people that don't care about driving and don't want to get their hands cold or their mirrors bumped into in the parking lot, the maxima is a great option but as I mentioned before most aspects of the maxima are overlapped with the altima...

As for moving on with the maxima, I completely agree. I'm very happy that nissan decided to make it this way, because now the nissan line up will consist of a TRUE flagship with another car designated to the 4DSC position. When the new maxima comes out, I hope it sells well and appeals to many people, but I'm betting it won't appeal to such a wide range of buyers as it did before. As for now, as in the year 2007, altima > maxima in nearly every aspect and it will be so until the release of the 7th gen.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:52 PM

i guess everyone is intitled to there opinion.... but in mine, i would take the 6th gen maxima options over a 5 horsepower gain (07 alitima) any day.

07 Altima =

It wont be a fair weigh in until the new generation of Maxima's come out. The we can weigh the new gen Altima vs. new gen Maxima.....

So when doing all of your comparisons and opinions, keep in mind that the 6th generation of Maxima came out 3 years ago.... So of course, the new generation of altima handles better....

Altima will always be 2nd in the Nissan Sedan Lineup...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by jawwaad05
Altima
The sporty 3.5 SE comes with a 270-hp V6, a sport-tuned suspension with 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, power-folding side-view mirrors with integral turn signals, a power driver seat, wood-tone accents and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls.
Includes leather seats, heated front seats, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, XM satellite radio, Bose AM/FM stereo, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, 9 speakers, speed-sensitive volume, MP3/WMA capability, diversity antenna, Xenon high intensity discharge headlights, driver's power lumbar support, dual-zone automatic temperature control, HomeLink universal transceiver, auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, leather-wrapped shift ****, illuminated console lighting, rear-passenger AC vents, metallic interior finisher on charcoal interior, Nissan DVD navigation system, rearview monitor and XM satellite radio with XM NavTraffic.
31015 including destination charge

Maxima SE $ 31808 with Elite package basicaly includes the same options
IMO they are the same car money wise . but i preffer the Altima overall , not only for it's 6 speed manual trans. the added horse power, redesigned suspencion. I understand that the maxima is headed to become a better car and distance itself from the altima but how many years are we talking about?? 2 or 3???? JMO
Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

The new Altima engine is quite a bit different than the current A34 engine. Different in good/better ways.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
i guess everyone is intitled to there opinion.... but in mine, i would take the 6th gen maxima options over a 5 horsepower gain (07 alitima) any day.

07 Altima =

It wont be a fair weigh in until the new generation of Maxima's come out. The we can weigh the new gen Altima vs. new gen Maxima.....

So when doing all of your comparisons and opinions, keep in mind that the 6th generation of Maxima came out 3 years ago.... So of course, the new generation of altima handles better....

If i'm not mystaken he compared the 07 models so the difference would be 15 hp not 5 and i think his intention of buying a car is for this year not in 2 or 3 jmo
Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U

07 Altima =

You obviously haven't driven an '07 altima at all. I found it to not only handle better but it has a better ride as well and the interior is quieter giving the altima the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and agility. Like I said in my previous post:

THIS IS THE YEAR 2007

The new maxima isn't due for another couple years therefore it's an extremely valid comparison if you're looking into buying a car at the current time.

EDIT: Ok let me straighten this out as it seems there are some that are confused. It's alright for there to be a better car than your own. I readily admit that there are several cars that are better than mine in every aspect. Nissan's made the altima better than the maxima on purpose, to set the plate for the upcoming 7th gen. Now of course there had to be some difference between the two, which is why they made the altima a bit smaller than its predecessor and kept a few options exlusive to the maxima. When the 7th gen is released, I'm betting there to be a much wider margin between the two, but that isn't my point at the current time. My point is that if you are looking to buy a 2007 model year car, the altima is hands down the better value. People say "oh I wouldn't pay $32.5k for an altima". Why not? Because it carries the name 'Altima'? It's certainly worth it if you desire every option and accessory possible. The fully loaded maxima comes out to nearly $37k for comparison so it's up to the buyer to make the decision.

Andif you know about engines look here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=508067
Old 01-25-2007, 05:29 AM

Ill go with the Maxima ...even it that the new one less HP ...its just a better car
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
The new altima is ugly. Those taillights are the worst ever. The next maxima better have 300hp.
Why its front wheel drive your going to have so much torque steer.... Unless they Make it AWD
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by eyecon7
Why its front wheel drive your going to have so much torque steer.... Unless they Make it AWD
equal length half shafts, my friend. The altima has nearly no torque steer because they lowered the drivetrain and created equal length half shafts to combat the problem...they'll do this on the maxima as well in the future.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by NYMAX02
Ill go with the Maxima ...even it that the new one less HP ...its just a better car
good point.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
equal length half shafts, my friend. The altima has nearly no torque steer because they lowered the drivetrain and created equal length half shafts to combat the problem...they'll do this on the maxima as well in the future.
Hmmmm Intresting.. but still my next car is either rwd or awd...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM

amen to that
Old 01-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by 1stmax&lovinit
If i'm not mystaken he compared the 07 models so the difference would be 15 hp not 5 and i think his intention of buying a car is for this year not in 2 or 3 jmo

Doesn't matter what year he is comparing, the 07 Altima has at least 15 hp on any Maxima. Nissan didn't decrease the peak HP on the 07 Max, they rated it differently. The 07 Max has the exact same engine as the 06 with the exact same output. 06 says that output is 265, 07 calls it 255. Same output all the same, just rated differently.

In other words, If the year is 2005 and we have two engines in front of us that we're rating for HP, one is from an 06 Maxima and the other from an 07 Altima, we would get 265 on the max and 280 on the alt. However, if the year is 2007 and we do the same thing with our new rating system, we get 255 on the max and 270 on the altima. Either way you look at it, the engine in the Altima is that much stronger than the one on the max.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Doesn't matter what year he is comparing, the 07 Altima has at least 15 hp on any Maxima. Nissan didn't decrease the peak HP on the 07 Max, they rated it differently. The 07 Max has the exact same engine as the 06 with the exact same output. 06 says that output is 265, 07 calls it 255. Same output all the same, just rated differently.

In other words, If the year is 2005 and we have two engines in front of us that we're rating for HP, one is from an 06 Maxima and the other from an 07 Altima, we would get 265 on the max and 280 on the alt. However, if the year is 2007 and we do the same thing with our new rating system, we get 255 on the max and 270 on the altima. Either way you look at it, the engine in the Altima is that much stronger than the one on the max.
well said. And if you look at that thread I posted you'll see where that power comes from.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Well Nissan better do something, since Accords have something like 244 hp, and the Camry/Avalon has I think 278 hp V6 options.
Personally, I think the Altima is a very good value in totally base form, with the 6 speed manual at something like 24700 with destination, and a CVT is only 500 dollars more for those wanting an "automatic". 2007 Maxima SE's MSRP is higher-I think it has more standard equipment though. The Maxima will likely have rebates and more aggressive discounts. Compare prices since even the late nineties Maximas, 2000+ Maximas, and 2002+ Altimas. The 2007s seem like a good value, especially the Altima. The only real downside to the Altima is the 4cyl versions that will hurt resale and image and be rentals.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 PM

I believe everything said about the altima, hell for my opinion, i'd even take one over a Z because they're overrated, and its something about 4 doors also =) but yea for Lao2Max, i understand totally what ur saying, i just said it was a diff class because its a big gap between power and options. thats a newer gen altima over the maxima so i figured why compare the 2...yea that altima is kickin the maxi's butt right now, but for now being the maxima fan that I am, im hoping they wont let us down with the next one. and im sure they wont, it'll probably be the same power or turn into a cruise ship by then who knows.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 AM

Why in the world would you need AWD in FL? Wastes fuel and added weight imho.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaximamixaM
Well Nissan better do something, since Accords have something like 244 hp, and the Camry/Avalon has I think 278 hp V6 options.
Personally, I think the Altima is a very good value in totally base form, with the 6 speed manual at something like 24700 with destination, and a CVT is only 500 dollars more for those wanting an "automatic". 2007 Maxima SE's MSRP is higher-I think it has more standard equipment though. The Maxima will likely have rebates and more aggressive discounts. Compare prices since even the late nineties Maximas, 2000+ Maximas, and 2002+ Altimas. The 2007s seem like a good value, especially the Altima. The only real downside to the Altima is the 4cyl versions that will hurt resale and image and be rentals.
Accord just beat Altima in the C&D test, and we're talking about a brand-spanking new Altima and a what, Accord that's been out for 4 years? What would happen when the new Accord comes out? I know that folks here have disliked Hondas since this board has existed, but the car mags are pretty objective. But article after article it's pretty hard to ignore the fact that Honda seems to always win. C&D has 10 cars to give its 10 Best award to, and Accord has gotten it 21 times since 1983. Maxima did get it once in 1994.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 AM

I rarely drive my 55 mile commute to work and usually take the Metro North Rail to work. Today, I decided all of a sudden to drive and happen to bump into two 07 Alti's... They look extremely nice, nicer than the new Max, but I know for sure the next Gen max should blow out the Alti when it comes out.

So if you can wait till late 07 and wait for the next Gen Maxima to come out you will be better suited. I sincerely hope Nissan brings back the 6spd Max in their 08 implementation, even if its in limited distribution.

Finally to answer Frank... Accord is a great car that everyone and their mother has. Walk down the parking lot at my trains station you'll see about 4 Maxima's, 5 including mine. You will see 20 Accords and 20 Camry's. Just the other day there were 3 98-2002 bodied Accords all green, all next to each other line they planned it. This is my 3rd and last Nissan though... Next car will be in the Toyota/Honda Family....
Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Frank, I don't believe car mags to be pretty objective.

It isn't uncommon for a car mag to rave and compliment a car when it first comes out, then to say the opposite few months later in another article.

I think a self-evaluation is the only way to decide. My 0.02.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by pocketrocket
Frank, I don't believe car mags to be pretty objective.

It isn't uncommon for a car mag to rave and compliment a car when it first comes out, then to say the opposite few months later in another article.

I think a self-evaluation is the only way to decide. My 0.02.
I test drove a 2006 6-speed accord and didn't like the way it drove at all. I mean, yeah it had a pretty smooth ride, but that just translated into extremely mushy handling, the steering was very numb, the engine wasn't as smooth as the VQ, and it had torque steer and wheel hop out the @$$. The interior was about the same quality as the new altima (which is pretty nice) but you did get a little more road/engine noise in the accord. The accord is, no doubt, a good car but for what I want in a car the altima is better...I'm sure price played a decent roll in that magazine decision as well considering you can get an almost fully loaded accord for sub $30k.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 AM

Although I am late in the discussion, I must say that I will choose the new Altima.

Driving home in Phoenix, AZ traffic last week, I had the fortunate chance to slog along in traffic next to both an R-Tune Altima and R-Tune Maxima that were being tested by some magazine (didn't ask), and I must say that the Altima's outside design is stunning.

In all honesty though, when it comes time to upgrade, I'll likely go for a G35 instead (RWD). I have always been of the opinion that the G35 is what the Maxima should have been.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:44 PM

I'll go with the Altima, cuz it is new, it has 6 spd manual, the HP, or you could wait for the coupe which is very sleek and sexy. I'm a bit disappointed with the Max since no HP bump and lack of 6spd, but we can only hope when and if 7gen comes out would be avail, only time will tell us. but for now Altima all the way
Old 01-27-2007, 04:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

But article after article it's pretty hard to ignore
Just like BMW and Honda will never lose in those mags.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Just like BMW and Honda will never lose in those mags.
Sure, but there's a reason for that. The current Accord has great steering, and BMW has legendary handling. If that weren't enough, the two have ridiculous resale value. What's not to like?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Accord just beat Altima in the C&D test, and we're talking about a brand-spanking new Altima and a what, Accord that's been out for 4 years? What would happen when the new Accord comes out? I know that folks here have disliked Hondas since this board has existed, but the car mags are pretty objective. But article after article it's pretty hard to ignore the fact that Honda seems to always win. C&D has 10 cars to give its 10 Best award to, and Accord has gotten it 21 times since 1983. Maxima did get it once in 1994.
Are you freaking kidding me?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Here's my rebuttal to that C&D crap.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...accord-se.html

Originally Posted by C&D
Honda has the formula so nailed that there can be no place for this car but up front. After finding faults in all the others — some picayune, we’ll grant you — the Accord simply elicits one big “Ahhhhh.”
In other words, it was already decided who would win this comparison before they even started it. The Accord is just as flawed as the other cars expcept that C&D is such biased Honda fanbois that they'll try to mask it whenever they can.

Originally Posted by C&D
First off, it drives as if made out of titanium and carbon fiber, with a center of gravity just below the catalytic converter. The delicate steering wheel, dimple-patterned for grip, is light and precise, the body motions clipped, the turn-in sharp, the chassis rigid. Even the doors feel featherweight as they swing on super-lubricated hinges. A fingertip touch is enough to latch them.
Is that same rigid chassis the same one that causes Hondas to be such squeak and rattle traps? Despite driving like it's made out of titanium and carbon fiber, the Accord still only returned MID-PACK handling numbers, lol.

Originally Posted by C&D
Second, the powertrain is marvelous. It has torque, it is hot-blooded for revs, the vibrations stay out of the cabin, and the transmission is never in the wrong gear (even though it lacks a manumatic function). At redline the exhaust snarls, a lively contrast to the other cars, which have nothing to offer but a rising crescendo of whirs, hums, and buzzes. Would you buy a sedan from the same guys who engineered the NSX? Of course you would.
bwahahaha...

Oh please! The NSX is a 15+ year old now discontinued and long forgotten before then non-exotic that was eclipsed in performance by many other cars costing far less just a year or two after it was released. Would I buy an Altima from the same guys that engineered the Skyline GT-R? Of course I would, but why wasn't that mentioned in the Altima review? Would I buy a car from the same guys that engineered the Supra TT and the legendary 2JZ-GTE engine? Sure! Why didn't that get a mention in the Camry review? What nonsense.

As for the Accord's 4-cylinder engine, it's just as harsh and unrefined as any long-stroke 4-banger I've driven. No it's not hot blooded for revs, and you can feel and hear how hard the thing is working at only 3000 rpm. When it winds up it feel and sounds like poo. The most pleasing sounding big 4-banger I've driven is the GM Ecotec engine which does actually have a sporty little snarl to it, but C&D probably calls this engine "harsh and unrefined".

When I've driven this generation of 4-banger Accords (rentals) it annoyed me constantly by never being able to pick the right gear, which is the complete opposite of what they're saying here. Around town it jumps between 5th, 4th, and 3rd. 3rd is too short and the engine gets buzzy (at a whole 3000 rpm) so that's annoying, and 5th is too tall. Being able to lock it in 4th would be perfect, but you can't even do that! As a result the tranny would never settle down in 30-50 mph driving in traffic.

Originally Posted by C&D
Third, the Accord is built in the size of JR (just right). Dimensionally, it’s midpack — at 3177 pounds it’s not even the lightest car here, nor does it have the most-even weight distribution. It feels small on the road, as if the front bumper were just beyond your toenails. But a crew of four enjoys ample space and comfort, especially as all the seats are sculpted with body pockets. The word “flawless” was used to describe the driving position. A low dash and cut-down window sills mean lots of glass to see out of.
That's right! The Accord is just....MAGICAL!. Engineering perfection! Another "marvel" from Honda!

That low cut dash tends to bang into my knees and it's difficult for me to work around, so I wouldn't be calling the Accord's driving position "flawless". They could have cherry picked that comment and you'd never know. Nissan interiors fit me much better. And if the car is "just right" then why is the trunk so small? A lot of families do tend to care about trunk space, you know.

Originally Posted by C&D
Other words were used for the coal-colored interior and its carbon-fiber trim (faux, of course): “functional,” “a bit dark,” and “uninspired.” With the other cars dazzling us with their fresh designs, the new-in-2003 Accord looks plain inside and out. That, and an inconvenient rear-seatback release requiring one to stoop in and insert the key into the parcel shelf (at least it is theft resistant), were the only complaints mustered.
If these were the only complaints mustered, then obviously C&D isn't looking very hard. They found room to comment on braking performance in almost every other car's reviews, yet found no room to comment on the WORST OF THE PACK braking performance here in the Accord's review. This however didn't stop them from giving the Accord top marks for "Brake Feel" in their marks. The handling is only mid-pack yet they play it off that it drives like some premium car that it isn't. The interior is not the quietest. The trunk is the smallest. The engine is just as thrashy and annoying sounding as the others IMHO, and the tranny lacks manumatic controls. And they're saying that enthusiasts "flock" to this car? WHAT?? Not really... Just Honda fanboys and groupies who happen to subscribe to C&D en-masse.

I bought my 2001 Accord at the time because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted, but knew the Accord was a good car, and figured it had to be great after winning the C&D 10 BEST award for all those years in a row. I bought into the hype. It's by no means a bad car, but certainly not the "model of perfection" that C&D makes it out to be on a near constant basis. Any objective minded person can find just as many flaws in the Accord as the other cars here. If you look at the tableized ratings, a lot of them are really subjective and based on what I've seen here a bit questionable. It would only take a flip of a point or two in one or two areas to knock the Accord down a bit and bump the Altima into first. Change "brake feel" to "ACTUAL BRAKING PERFORMANCE" and the Altima may just have won with that alone. The Accord's brakes stink, always have, and always will, but C&D dare not say anything about that in the Accord's own review. No way. They'll only take shots at it in comparison to the other cars in the other cars' reviews, but not so much as a peep in the holy engineering perfection model of refinement Accord review.

Originally Posted by C&D
No question Honda still wears the kanmuri in this class.
Yes, this coming from the same outfit that after getting its butt kicked in almost every single category in their sport compact shoot out, still had to give the Acura RSX the Number One spot vs its superior competitors. Why? "Because Acura [name/badge] sounds cooler [than chevy or saturn or dodge]". Yes, in a "sport compact" shoot out nothing about performance, handling, braking, or lap times matters. Just the badge on the hood.

Mags are nothing more than marketing fronts for the auto manufacturers also, and the ones with the most bucks to advertise and engage in "joint marketing ventures" (C&D 10 Best, Motor Trend Car of the Year, etc etc) are the ones that get the awards and most positive reviews. I fell for all the hype once, but wised up quickly after that.

So is the Accord really better than the Altima? The hell if I know. I'm looking to replace my Maxima this year with something (no clue what), and actually have the current "old" Accord up higher on my list than the new Altima. But at this point it has absolutely nothing to do with what some biased paid-off by advertising green hacks in a magazine say and everything to do with what suits MY personal needs the best. Test drive and evaluate both yourself, and then make the decision on your own. If you're basing car buying decisions on what magazines say, you're an idiot and just falling prey to the MFR's marketing departments. I did that once, so yes, I was an idiot. Above both the Altima and Accord on my shopping list is the 2007 Maxima. I love what they did with it, I love that it's a more rare car that not everybody and their grandma will have, and based on test driving another car with a CVT, I really liked it. Next car has to be auto anyways, and I'm thinking I'd like a Nissan CVT much better than the clunky auto of another make's (which of course got top ratings for their miserable clunky trannys by C&D, LOL!)

/rant
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM

I've learned that those car mags, C&D, MotorTrend, R&T..etc all have to be taken with a grain of salt. I would NOT advise anyone to make their car purchase decisions based on those magazines.
I read a Motortrend report just a few weeks ago comparing the new G35S, TL-S & IS350. The magazine rated the TL above the G35!! Then I noticed that their entire website was plastered with Acura banners....

Quick Reply: 2007 altima or maxima ?