General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Retrofit in planning

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Retrofit in planning

This is more of a "just to be sure" kind of thread for those who are wondering about retrofitting projectors into their cars...and just to get my thoughts put together cuz I just recently got into the idea of retroing

My options:
1. Retro fit the stock housing
...-http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=85
Pros:
-As with any retrofitting, output is amazing

Cons:
-Most likely lose high beam - single xenon projector + bulbs
-If I want high beams, bi-xenons are just too expensive...

2. Retrofit the ebay chrome R34s - prefered choice
Pros:
-Output
-Will not lose high beams
-1pc has a nicer look to it (my opinoin)
-Will have the spare original housing just incase anything goes wrong (possibility with knowing me)

Cons:
-Have to spend an extra $180 for the R34s
============================================
Items to purchase:
-Projectors
...-TSX's - $160ish
...-BMW E46 - still looking around
-D2S HID bulbs + ballasts - $200ish
-Some sort of shrouds -$50 - $90. Or maybe just use aluminum foil? (Yeah, I'm kind of that cheap sometimes)
-Most likely need/want HomerMAC's wiring harness with the R34's - $30

So what do you guys think? Any other suggestions, like for the type of projectors to use? Am I covering all my bases for a retrofit? Do the prices look decent? Thanks.

Sources I used:
Google - haha duh
Ebay - pricing
HIDPlanet
The Retrofit-Source <- very helpful for a newb!
Many other threads on the Org
Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 PM
大陆弟弟

I' go with #2, having highbeam is necessary.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Yeah, sorry, didn't mention it, but yeah, most likely will go with #2 (thus italiczied). Will edit the post
Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Think about it. How much is the retro going to cost, and how much more is it going to cost if you get some bixenon projectors instead?

I'd retro into some CE clear housings (and I did). They're actually pretty cheap, brand new, and look better than stock housings, especially for retrofits. I think you can pick up some FX bixenons for about $170? They're kind of hard to find but they're great projectors, really wide and pretty sharp. Wiring for bixenons really isn't too tough, I'll make a diagram for how I did mine if you like.

Just my $.02.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Got Projectors?

I'm going to join the #2 option group.

Having the separate high-beam will be nice and easy. That said, however, bi-xenon projectors can be had rather cheaply. Good deals on those, and all this equipment, really is just a matter of being patient and creative with your search terms (on eBay).

I did a retrofit with some eBay lights like n3985 did using TSX projectors. I went from OEM reflector HID to the TSX projectors and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are incredible. Wide, sharp, intense. The first set I bought I think I paid around $130. I just bought another pair (clear lens too - for another retrofit) off of eBay for $115.

Shrouds can be done expensive using OEM supplies or cheaply going the DIY route. The ACE Hardware Pipe Flange is a popular bezel (like $3) and you can make a shroud out of ABS plastic or even a stove-top range cover. Those combinations can look good and hardly cost anything at all. On the other end the e46 Xenon shrouds look incredible...but run about $100 for the pair.

Lots of options, just go with the flow. First important decision is the headlight it's going in (seems you have that figured out), next is the projector choice, and lastly comes the shroud/bulbs/ballasts.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Cool.
What choices do I have for the projector in the R34 housing? I don't know the sizes of the projectors or the housing. All I know is that many people use the TSX/TL/BMW/E55/E46 projectors and are happy with the results. Any other opinons on Bosch or Hella or anything else?

I'm kinda leaning towards the E46 as I'm reading more about it. It's not too pricey and it has the CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lighting) ring option. Saw some pics of it in another thread before, looks nice.

Oh, one more question, the E46 is a BiXenon projector...but I don't have to get bixenons, right? Single xenons will be sufficient enough.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM

...One more question: what's a typical price range for retrofitting? $300-400? I just want to make sure I'm in it somewhere..don't want to spend too little and find out I'm missing something; nor do I want to spend too much and have something left over.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
大陆弟弟

E46 come in single and bi-xenon, both of which are cheap and decent in output. The E46 singles that HIDplanet.com sells are only $99 per pair and are the ECE version, so the cutoff flares up, they also do minor color modding for you. The CCFL rings are an add on, as they are made for E46 cars, you could always put them in, will just take time.

*Rough* breakdown:

Best single projectors:
1. LS430 - def too big
2. S2000 - $$$ and need to cut highbeam portion off
3. TSX

Best bi-xexnon:
1. TL
2. FX

EDIT: E46 singles will def be the easiest to mount, as they are small.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM

In terms of price, I spent:

$300 for TL projectors
$220 for Hella gen 3 ballasts (awesome ballasts) and Osram bulbs
$140 for CE clear housings
probably close to $100 in materials for making the harness

If I had hunted around ebay I could have gotten better prices, but I was sick of that at the moment so I just got the best stuff I could find at that instant.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks. ..Few more questions (of course)
1. What's ECE stand for and what is it? Is it that Z-pattern output?
2. Please explain color modding.

I'll probably go for E46 since the price is cheap. If I can get bi-xenon projectors for not much more (<$40) than the cost of single xenon projectors, is it worth it to get that? Or not necessary?

TSX is my second choice for right now.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by aznstormin
Thanks. ..Few more questions (of course)
1. What's ECE stand for and what is it? Is it that Z-pattern output?
2. Please explain color modding.
1. http://www.hidplanet.com/bosch.html

2. You modify the projector in a number of ways to produce a thick blue band of color above the cutoff.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM

Cool, thanks for the help. I'll shop around and probably do this within a month.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I'd recommend #2... I found 04 Maxima Projectors (E55) with bulbs and ballasts for < $225. I then bought some extra 00/01 headlights (2 pairs, about $175 for both) to try them out. Now, I'm partially done with 1 headlight and am buying 02/03 until I retro my 00/01...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
KH3 by popular demand

You can find pretty good deals on ebay or hidplanet for sale forums if you take your time. The key is take your time, there will be a bit of trial and error so be prepared for that too. Make sure you check out the lighting faqs on hids and how to aim your retrofit.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 AM

Why do I feel like I'm [going] to be spending so much...
R34 housing $200
TSX Projectors $170
Matsu****a ballasts, plugs, and Phillips 85122 bulbs - $260
===
$630 total...

Too much? These are the best prices I can find so far...through Ebay mostly.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Got Projectors?

Why do I feel like I'm [going] to be spending so much...
R34 housing $200
TSX Projectors $170
Matsu****a ballasts, plugs, and Phillips 85122 bulbs - $260
===
$630 total...

Too much? These are the best prices I can find so far...through Ebay mostly.
Can't say on the R34 housing, but the TSX projectors are too expensive. Like I said earlier, I got a set for $115 shipped a couple weeks ago. Just was being patient on eBay. Even when I wasn't being that patient I got a pair for about $130.

And I don't think the ballasts and bulbs will cost you that much. You can get a good pair of Philips 85122+ for like $60 shipped. And I would think you can get the ballasts for $100-150 (not sure on that price though).
Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Can't say on the R34 housing, but the TSX projectors are too expensive. Like I said earlier, I got a set for $115 shipped a couple weeks ago. Just was being patient on eBay. Even when I wasn't being that patient I got a pair for about $130.

And I don't think the ballasts and bulbs will cost you that much. You can get a good pair of Philips 85122+ for like $60 shipped. And I would think you can get the ballasts for $100-150 (not sure on that price though).
Thanks, I'll wait on the TSX projectors then. I just see so many buy-it-now prices that are $180+ so I'm not sure if only $10-$20 cheaper is a good price.

I know the pair of Phillips bulbs are about $60 shipped. I have been in contact with the seller, akinaboy on ebay, and he is giving me the price of the ballasts, plugs, and bulbs together for $260 shipped. (all are new)

Can anyone confirm this statement?
"For 9004, you don't need to make a harness, but just use simple wiring tabs."
I asked him if I would need to purchase a separate harness with the ballasts (ebay link!)

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Got Projectors?

I know the pair of Phillips bulbs are about $60 shipped. I have been in contact with the seller, akinaboy on ebay, and he is giving me the price of the ballasts, plugs, and bulbs together for $260 shipped. (all are new)
Don't put too much into *new* equipment. HID ballasts and bulbs last a long time (what are you talking about..."plugs?"). OEM ballasts can be had used for not terribly much if you look around. Same goes for bulbs.

EDIT: quick search yielded these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...spagenameZWDVW
or buy one at a time to spread the cost out (only need one bulb and one ballast for testing/building): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Can anyone confirm this statement?
"For 9004, you don't need to make a harness, but just use simple wiring tabs."
I asked him if I would need to purchase a separate harness with the ballasts (ebay link!)

Thanks.
I would *always* have an external wiring harness. Ballasts draw a LOT of current on startup, and your stock wiring won't be up to the task (over time). You want to set it up with relays such that when you turn your headlights on that the ballast draws power straight from the battery. You can make your own, or pre-made harnesses aren't too expensive.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Thanks for those links...I wasn't searching the correct terms so I never saw them...

I'm not really sure what the plugs are...he keeps on mentioning "$259 for bulbs, ballasts and power cables as well as the D2 plulgs"

Now I also got to figure out how to make a harness...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Got Projectors?

Thanks for those links...I wasn't searching the correct terms so I never saw them...

I'm not really sure what the plugs are...he keeps on mentioning "$259 for bulbs, ballasts and power cables as well as the D2 plulgs"

Now I also got to figure out how to make a harness...
Ahh, sounds like he's selling ballasts with AMP connectors (commonly used on aftermarket HID kits) and so he's charging you for the D2-style connectors to adapt to the ballasts (so you can use a D2R or D2S bulb. You'll of course want D2S). At any rate, I'd use OEM equipment over the aftermarket stuff anyway. Those matsu****a ballasts I linked to above are weatherproof and small, and also used on most new Nissans/Infinitis (not that that matters, LOL). They also include the bulbs, so right there you'd have everything you need short of projectors and a wiring harness.

As for the harness, HIDplanet is your friend. Lots of threads telling how to do those.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would add ZKW E46 bixenon (not Bosch E46 which are good but not awesome)
Also, Mitsu Evo bixenons. They have great colorful cutoffs and decent beam.

but agree. Best Bixenon by far is the TL WITH the ZKW clear lense.

Best single xenon is the s2000.

Try and getting a 4th gen or new ballast. Less wiring, smaller.

Go with OEM Hid bulbs and ballasts. They are more reliable (they have to be).

Agree that matsu****a ballast are awesome!

HIDplanet is your friend.

Patience, work slowly and enjoy the final results. Trust me. It's worth it!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 PM

i have the HID conversion already, so on my soon to be retro, i am getting:

different bulbs to go projectors = $80
projectors = free (lucky, i'll disclose them later, unless you can figure out what they are from the pic)
no shroud
materials (paint, washers, wrong washers twice, nuts, and bolts) = $20

$100.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Sweet. So I bought the one MetaOrbit linked. Price is very good for the ballasts and bulbs...
Now all I need are the R34 housing, some projectors (prob TSX), shrouds, harness, and misc materials.

Jltibbs - what washer size are you supposed to get? And no I don't know how you got your projectors for free....
Old 04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
大陆弟弟

jtibbs, are those RX300 fog projectors?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 AM

aznstormin if you are going to go with the tsx check your pm and hit me back.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM

Did I have to purchase separate ballasts and bulbs or could I have just bought the HID (kit) from the GD section, and buy the projectors from ebay [or wherever]? Worth spending the extra $40 for OEMs?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=515274
Old 04-04-2007, 07:35 PM
大陆弟弟

Did I have to purchase separate ballasts and bulbs or could I have just bought the HID (kit) from the GD section, and buy the projectors from ebay [or wherever]? Worth spending the extra $40 for OEMs?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=515274
You can buy an aftermarket HID kit, but you will need a AMP>D2S connector harness off eBay. For $40 just go OEM, guaranteed quality, no worry a year down the road.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by n3985
You can buy an aftermarket HID kit, but you will need a AMP>D2S connector harness off eBay. For $40 just go OEM, guaranteed quality, no worry a year down the road.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 AM

Jltibbs - what washer size are you supposed to get? And no I don't know how you got your projectors for free....
well, i made one of the holes on the back of my lens too big and the washers kept going in the hole. we bought one set of washers before we even knew what bolts we were getting. just stupid first timer mistakes. should be done soon.

Originally Posted by n3985
jtibbs, are those RX300 fog projectors?
nope. i'll disclose it all when i am completely done. just waiting on bulbs to get in so i can aim and such.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by jltibbs
well, i made one of the holes on the back of my lens too big and the washers kept going in the hole. we bought one set of washers before we even knew what bolts we were getting. just stupid first timer mistakes. should be done soon.
Hmm..I guess I'll understand when I begin to do mine.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM

yeah

when you start trying to make the holes for the bolts, start small and go in the general direction you need. i just kept making the whole bigger. boy was i stupid.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Got Projectors?

Yeah, a LOT of it will become very obvious and make a lot more sense once you get everything opened up and see what all you have to work with in front of you.

Thinking about it in theory will get you a good ways, but the hands-on really is where retrofitting is at.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Thinking about it in theory will get you a good ways, but the hands-on really is where retrofitting is at.
mos def, yo.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 AM

. . . .

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
mos def, yo.
i really did not realize until i took the dremel to the headlight housing what i was really doing. i hate having stockies in until the projs are done
Old 04-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Heh, same here! I managed to mount an E55 projector slightly crooked in one of my headlights and still need to fix it... But I've got damn finals coming up!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 PM

so did you order new lights or just retro the factorys? what are you using during the fit?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

To get something original, I'm retroing 00/01 headlights with E55 bi-xenon projectors. However, I also just bought some 02/03 to use for the next month or so until I can actually get my retro. I bought 2 pairs of 00/01 lights, and so far FUBAR'ed 2 lights, which are only good for parts now.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 AM

my bad. if i would have messed mine up i would have cried. i am retroing the CE clear blacks which i have yet to find any since. as soon as my bulbs for the proj's come in, i can aim and be done.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
heresmymind

e46 bixenons are very hard to wire with relays and diodes. use an e55 projector bixenon they have better output and much easier to wire. If you have any questions about retros PM me. my nickname on this org is for a reason...

Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM

Alright, for the update:
R34 1pc chrome headlight housing
TSX Projectors, link
04-05 Maxima ballasts, link

Now I have an extra set of bulbs...not sure what I'm going to do with it. I believe both are Osram 4300k rating.

Can't wait to work on them, but I'm kind of scared haha. And I'm still trying to figure out how to make the harness...still kind of confused. hopefully I"ll figure it out soon enough.

Quick Reply: Retrofit in planning