General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cams!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 10:30 AM

just called bull frog...they say that they don't make cams for the VQ30DE 6 cylinder engine in the maxima.

just my $0.02

can someone call them to find out for real?

thanks
Old 10-19-2000, 10:32 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by tclee
just called bull frog...they say that they don't make cams for the VQ30DE 6 cylinder engine in the maxima.

just my $0.02

can someone call them to find out for real?

thanks
No one makes new grinds for the maxima. But just about anyone can regrind your old stockones, which is a bad practice.

Don't be suprised people don't have stuff of the Maxima...

-Shing
Old 10-19-2000, 10:54 AM

Regrinds aren't that bad....

but I should point out they won't be a precise a new billet cams. My ISKY cams ran with no problem but I'm sure compared to the JWT cams for the VG it's no contest. Your best bet is to get some cores to have reground. If I knew the valve timing of the VQ cams I could compare it to the VG30DE cams. ISKY charges only $150 to regrind your cams since yours is DOHC it might be $300 but I dunno. YOu would have to call Robert at ISKY can tell him what you want. Of course it helps to have the stock cam specs too, you can get them from the FSM.
Old 10-20-2000, 06:47 AM
Keven97SE

One thing nobody ever talks about is the LABOR involved to change cams on the VQ. It's NOT AT ALL easy. Not only are there 4 cams to change, but crap, have you ever looked at what's involved in just removing something like, say the TIMING CHAIN COVER? Damn, that's like a day's labor in itself. Gotta remove the AC compressor, PS pump, alternator, the passenger-side motor mount, etc etc.

For a full cam change, it'd be like 2 days worth of work or more. All that for some custom regrinds that you have no idea whether they'll work well, nor even clear the pistons for that matter!

Old 10-20-2000, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
One thing nobody ever talks about is the LABOR involved to change cams on the VQ. It's NOT AT ALL easy. Not only are there 4 cams to change, but crap, have you ever looked at what's involved in just removing something like, say the TIMING CHAIN COVER? Damn, that's like a day's labor in itself. Gotta remove the AC compressor, PS pump, alternator, the passenger-side motor mount, etc etc.

For a full cam change, it'd be like 2 days worth of work or more. All that for some custom regrinds that you have no idea whether they'll work well, nor even clear the pistons for that matter!
Its still easier than cams for the VG. Your cams lift out from the top once you remove the valve covers. We have to either pull the heads off or the engine out to install cams. NOt to mention you have to get new lifters and cam oil seals. Cams and hardware is cheaper than JWT ECU for VG's but the labor is where it hurts. Besides thats what the weekend is for .