General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ECU Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 08:05 PM

Hey Guys/Gals,

Rich Schroeck from Under Pressure Research and Development here. I have been watching the ECU debate rage and I must say, there seems to be quite a bit of hostility afloat. "Can't we all just get along?" Let me start by stating this: UPRD IS NOT GUARANTEEING ANY SPECIFIC HP GAINS! Every car is in a different state of tune, including new cars on a dealers lot (to a degree... no two cars are truly identical is my main point) Engine condition, break in,internal clearances,fluid viscosity/condition and composition, maintenance/frequency of same, grade of fuel, temperatures, tires, etc etc all make a difference in the power output of an engine when measured at the front wheels. What may net 30ish hp on one car may only net 15-20 hp on another identically prepared car. The fact that there is a substantial upgrade in engine performance is the point of the modification.

The ECU upgrade, in a nutshell, allows us to create and modify new fuel and igniton lookup tables, or "MAPs". By installing an external, custom programmed Eprom, basically, when the computer looks for a fuel or ignition value for the given RPM and load conditions, it uses our created tables/MAP as opposed to the factory, more conservative MAPs. There is no way it can't work.

There is bound to be skepticism and apprehension by some parties regarding the validity of such claims. It is everyone's duty to investigate and learn what they are spending nearly 500 hard earned dollars for. I don't understand the hostility though. The car can be run on any dyno. We happen to have a Clayton, which, as stated in various posts, is not reknown for its HP readings, more for load tuning and road simulation. A Dynojet will surely give different numbers, as it is a completely different type of mechanism. Whether it will read higher or lower, I cannot say. I am eager to see actually. An engine dyno will give true hp numbers, and we have one of those, but generally engine removal and custom dyno tuning is too expensive for most enthusiasts. Again, the point is that there are substantial gains to be made, and should register on any HP measuring device.(Which includes the highly acclaimed seat of the pants method

At any rate, if you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to answer them for you here, through E-mail (sales@uprd.com or Rich@uprd.com) or at 714-842-3338 x203. Thanks for the continued interest, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Richard Schroeck
UPRD Sales/Tech
sales@uprd.com
714-842-3338 x203
http://www.UPRD.COM

Old 10-19-2000, 08:20 PM

Understand what you said 100%, but may I politely point put that you might just missed the point of the whole thing.

The point is:
Your customer, Cheston, claimed 30FWHP gain on Clayton with Nabli's Maxima. (this is true we see the charts and we all believe it).
However, he also claimed it will show the same gain on an dynojet also. (this is where the disagreement occurs).

So let's wait to see the dynojet chart for it, and until then we will just all be quiet.
No matter what the outcome is(I myself don't think it will see 30 on dynojet but that's just me), it doesn't hurt the credit of UPRD, like I said before even only 10HP at the wheels already makes it a great modification. It's just some people should not hype it to be something it's not, simple as that.

Good night.
Old 10-19-2000, 08:34 PM

To be honest

In my eyes, this is the best thing you could've done to promote your product. Just the fact that you posted (after hours at that) makes me feel better about your organization. By your statements, you seem honest but one statement was unsettling. "Let me start by stating this: UPRD IS NOT GUARANTEEING ANY SPECIFIC HP GAINS!" So, if I see no gains or gains <5-10hp, you can say sorry, it's not guaranteed, you're SOL. I feel that you should stand by your product and claim an "at least" number to provide peace of mind. I'm not telling you how to market/sell this product but going by just your quote above I will not buy your product. I know...boo hoo; you lost one sale, why should you care. This is why. I feel that most people have the same feelings as I and will not buy a product with no guarantee. Even if you don't specify a HP gain, at least guarantee satisfaction. If I buy it I should be able to return it with a no questions asked refund (minus shipping of course). This wouldn't cost you anything and really would be no hassle b/c you could turn around and sell it to someone else. Having said that, I just want to say I apprecate your efforts to provide us with a superior product. Just support the ECU and I'm sure the orders will roll in. Keep us updated and keep up the good work.
Old 10-19-2000, 08:38 PM

Richard, Thanks for clearing up some of the misforgivings
of some of our members. We all want hard results from a
independent dyno just to lay to rest some skepticism some
may have of actual HP measurements and results. I think we
all agree every car will have slightly different readings
for all the reasons you listed.

Something I think your people could answer for us is
warranty issues, removal and installtion of the ECU.

What if we are not satisfied with the modified ECU after
driving around for a few days ???

Whats involved to remove the original ECU ???
(Any steps to follow or ESD "electro-static-discharge"
concerns during removal and reinstalltion) Can a normal
electrical (static build-up while sitting around in the car)
shock across the connector pins cause failures
to the electronics inside during handling and shipping ???

Should we mail the ECU in a special ESD protective baggie

Do your employees where special ESD grounding straps during
programming, soldering, and reassembly to avoid zapping
a critical component within the ECU package ????

Any special instructions or help would benefit all of us
that plan to remove the ECU.

Thx, Tmeyers-Colorado
97 Maxima SE 5 sp (waiting for the UPRD results)

Old 10-19-2000, 08:54 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

I've seen the ECU surgery in person. Let me tell you, the utmost
care is taken when installing the eprom chip.

the engineer is grounded, everything is done in a "clean" room
with the latest tools and gadgets.

there is no way that the programmer would fry the ecu with ESD..
he takes his time and this is not a rush job. it took him close to 50 minutes to
do the Maxima ECU that i gave him and this was a "fast" to him.

the removal of the ecu is fairly simple and the instructions will be given
out on my site when the offical group deal starts to ship, and things
have fallen in place. we still need 14 more orders to get $425.00,
and then there's SEMA that UPRD needs to attend to.

don't worry, UPRD are pros at the ecu thing.

--cheston

Originally posted by Tmeyers
Richard, Thanks for clearing up some of the misforgivings
of some of our members. We all want hard results from a
independent dyno just to lay to rest some skepticism some
may have of actual HP measurements and results. I think we
all agree every car will have slightly different readings
for all the reasons you listed.

Something I think your people could answer for us is
warranty issues, removal and installtion of the ECU.

What if we are not satisfied with the modified ECU after
driving around for a few days ???

Whats involved to remove the original ECU ???
(Any steps to follow or ESD "electro-static-discharge"
concerns during removal and reinstalltion) Can a normal
electrical (static build-up while sitting around in the car)
shock across the connector pins cause failures
to the electronics inside during handling and shipping ???

Should we mail the ECU in a special ESD protective baggie

Do your employees where special ESD grounding straps during
programming, soldering, and reassembly to avoid zapping
a critical component within the ECU package ????

Any special instructions or help would benefit all of us
that plan to remove the ECU.

Thx, Tmeyers-Colorado
97 Maxima SE 5 sp (waiting for the UPRD results)

Old 10-19-2000, 09:21 PM

Wow now thats instantaneous feedback. Its nice to have a discriminating and participating crowd.First of all, I just wanted to make sure it was clear that UPRD was not claiming 30hp. Without being able to perform it on many vehicles there would be now way to average. My basic point was that whatever the numbers turn out to exactly be, we are certain there will be a satisfactory gain. UPRD will stand behind the product 100%. When it is officially released, whatever the policy we have will be made very clear, and if at all possible, a HP number guaranteed. At that rate it is up to you to decide. As far as a minimum hp increase, once we see the results on a few cars, we can start to make that clear. I am sure there will be some warranty besides merchantability, but also remember that there is labor involved, and most likely that couldn't be refunded. Tomorrow when I get into work I can ask the right people and find out how that policy and situation will be handled and post my findings.

The Lab we have is dedicated to ECU programming and modification, and all neccessary safety precautions have been taken. Our technicians are highly skilled and will take the utmost care with the computers we receive.

I will be back tomorrow when at work and keep everyone posted. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Richard Schroeck
UPRD Sales/Tech
714-842-3338
http://www.uprd.com

Old 10-19-2000, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
Understand what you said 100%, but may I politely point put that you might just missed the point of the whole thing.

The point is:
Your customer, Cheston, claimed 30FWHP gain on Clayton with Nabli's Maxima. (this is true we see the charts and we all believe it).
However, he also claimed it will show the same gain on an dynojet also. (this is where the disagreement occurs).

So let's wait to see the dynojet chart for it, and until then we will just all be quiet.
No matter what the outcome is(I myself don't think it will see 30 on dynojet but that's just me), it doesn't hurt the credit of UPRD, like I said before even only 10HP at the wheels already makes it a great modification. It's just some people should not hype it to be something it's not, simple as that.

Good night.
Let it go man. You are sort of over stepping your authority, (which is to say - none), with the statement of, "So let's wait to see the dynojet chart for it, and until the we will just all be quiet". You may want to wait for the dynojet. That's fine for you. Others may want to go ahead and post or outright purchase one. That's fine for them. Making a blanket statement for the entire BBS that we'll be quiet & wait to see the dynojet chart - is speaking on behalf of everyone. I never surrendered that authority to you. For a person who is not even a Maxima owner, that seems just a wee bit bold.

Old 10-19-2000, 09:41 PM

WTF are you talking about?
Who said the words "we" has to represent the entire BBS?? Did you even use the word "we" when you post?? When you do, do you refer to the whole BBS, the whole country, the whole human race??

You are the one that jumped out and told me not to interpret every word so clealy about what people posted(remember the 2 of the MB's finest thingy?), now you are doing what you told people not to do. ****ing funny.
Old 10-19-2000, 09:56 PM

When do you sleep?

Old 10-19-2000, 10:00 PM

Usually about now, 1am EST.
I usually get up at 9am.
My store opens at 10am.
It closes at 6pm.
I eat diner around 8pm.
I go zzzzzz at 1am.
I get up at 9am.
My store...

Any more questions?
Old 10-19-2000, 10:02 PM

Btw, Booker, I just realized you are pretty good in changing subjects
I mean, when you have nothing to say, you say some stupid **** to get people notice other things, so you don't look foolish
Old 10-19-2000, 10:24 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

YOU ARE OUT OF LINE, CHRIS.

Who else on this BBS talks as much crap as you? NO ONE, because you're the #1 poster of non-constructive threads. You live on this bbs. You have no life other than to post senseless crap day and nite, 24 hours of the day, 7 days a week.

Not everyone has the same views as you, so why dont you go back to your store and stay there.

Stop bothering me.

Stop bothering the Maxima.org "family."

Stop bothering a company that is trying to do something good for OUR MAXIMAs.

Get a life.

Nobody wants to hear your whine like a girl.

Btw, Booker, I just realized you are pretty good in changing subjects
I mean, when you have nothing to say, you say some stupid **** to get people notice other things, so you don't look foolish
Old 10-19-2000, 10:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Sagga continues,

I am looking forward to this deal being completed,then I will finally have my UPRD ECU and there will be no more bickering about this subject any more and for that I will be gratefull.P.S.Great job with the ECU Rich keep up the good work I can't wait till I get it.
Old 10-19-2000, 10:36 PM
Southpaw17

lol cheston

DEBO

Old 10-19-2000, 10:48 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: The Sagga continues,

if you want to thank someone, thank ROBERT. head of the ECU division at UPRD. he's the one that gave us Maxima guys a chance at something new. He already knows what's going on on this bbs, and thankfully, he's not discouraged from rude and tasteless comments from some of this forum's members.

his email is robert@uprd.com. Email him and tell him what you think.

i've had enough this crap, and if anyone wants to know what's going on with the UPRD ecu, then you'll have to goto my website, or to the yahoo! board.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/nissanmaxima

Good nite,

Cheston Chiu.

Originally posted by emax95
I am looking forward to this deal being completed,then I will finally have my UPRD ECU and there will be no more bickering about this subject any more and for that I will be gratefull.P.S.Great job with the ECU Rich keep up the good work I can't wait till I get it.
Old 10-19-2000, 10:58 PM
Southpaw17

wood ear you are just so pompous.

DEBO

Old 10-19-2000, 11:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's to bad Cheston,

that you have been discourage to post on this forum because of the Antics of others,Just to let you know dude I have the Highest respect for you and your car,I am sure that there are many others here that feel the same way.So not to be a jrk but you guys who are always bothering him just chill out and give the man a brake I meen he should be treated with dignity not disrespect,he has gone way out of his way more then once for us in the past and present.
Old 10-19-2000, 11:51 PM

Back to the UPRD topic

To my delight, I logged onto this forum to discover a welcome and insightful post by Rich Schroeck.

First, I'd like to thank Rich for taking the time to address some of the points of contention that have been going around, and much of it I've been preaching all along. So even as this sounds redundant, I'd like to reiterate that UPRD hasn't made any claims to specific power gains.

To a reasonable person, this would imply that the company is being open minded in sharing it's findings with this community even while progress is still being made on this project. Believe me folks, this is great from a consumer's perspective.

I should know because unlike all of you, I took the plunge and agreed to have this mod done to my beloved car sight unseen, before any claims were made, before any dyno charts, and purely on faith and appreciation of the kind of professional establishment that I saw with my own two eyes when I toured the UPRD facilities. So I can understand the apprehension from some of you. But you should also consider the kind of return in terms of horsepower output you would get just like I got from my car. To say that I'm ecstatic with the results would be putting it mildly.

Nevertheless, being a total stranger to almost all of you folks may add a layer of uncertainty to the claims I make in some people's minds, so I can understand some folks having concerns, questions, need for other people's endorsements/experiences, and on and on.

Now, hopefully I've addressed almost all your points with all the info, data, subject opinions, and driving impressions I've posted here, and now Cheston has one of his own to draw his impressions on and add his impressions too, as well as a couple of other SoCal Maxima enthusiasts who have already driven/ridden in my car and can offer their opinions.

At any rate, I'm confident this mod will yield very impressive gains to make it one of the best hp per $ mod. It is also important to note that UPRD does not guarantee a HP figure precisely because different cars in various states of tuning and mods will react differently and benefit at different rates.

Having said that, and this is strictly of my volition and has nothing to do with UPRD, I estimate that the average gains experienced by a car will be 15-24hp in the midrange, and about 8-10hp peak gain. You only have to take one look at the dyno chart for my car on http://63.204.172.66/maxima/uprd%201.jpg to agree with what I'm saying.

Now I hope much of the uncertainty on this ECU project has been dispelled and/or clarified, but I'll be glad to answer specific questions if anyone has any about my car or the ECU mod. The best place to catch me is at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/nissanmaxima or via email at socalnabil@yahoo.com

--Nabil (Hardcharging '96 SE 5spd test car with the UPRD ECU installed)
Old 10-20-2000, 05:19 AM

What about the '99's? I have a '99 (calif emission..sigh) and would at some point in the not too distant future want a chip. Will it be a removable epromm? Still don't like the idea of soldering in the chip.
Old 10-20-2000, 05:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rich,

Thanks for dropping by and posting on the Maxima.org forums. We're always happy to welcome aftermarket manufacturers in taking an active part in the Q&A process that happens any time we have a new product pop up to Maxima owners.

Feel free to drop by any time. I know that it may seem a hostile UPRD environment at the moment, but that will surely be dispelled upon seeing more and more people get the ECU upgrade.

Thanks for supporting the relatively unknown Maxima enthusiast community and we look forward to the results!
Old 10-20-2000, 06:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd like to add....

...a big "so what?" in here. What if Cheston's wrong? Does it really matter? Can't we all be wrong every now and then? Why do you continue to pound the guy about this?

If it helps, we'll all just say "Chris is right; Cheston's wrong" and move on with some great R&D being done by UPRD. Say it's 10hp? 15? 20 even. That's not going to dissuade the majority of enthusiasts here. As you said, those are significant gains as well and no one will ever care that Cheston (either substantiated or not) talked about 30hp. I won't think any less of either Cheston, Nabil or UPRD as a result of it.

I'm closing this thread and I don't want to see another post disputing Cheston or Nabil's previous Clayton dyno results or the "30hp" claim. Consider any post challenging these claims as 'deleted'. Challenge them if you want to, but do it via e-mail. I'd like for this to be a friendly environment for people and I seem to have said on several occassions now that I didn't want to see any more bickering about this and somehow that's gotten ignored.

We're cluttering up the board with this dead-horse discussion. Case closed.

The point is:

Good night.