General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stock 3.0L VQ at 280hp.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 02:12 PM

http://www.nissan.co.jp/GLORIA/Y34/0...HA/body1a.html

take a look at the link. All 3 engines in the center of the page are VQ engine. All have NEO and are producing good horse power. The NEO is just Nissan version of VTEC.

The VQ30DET is producing 280hp. This is with the NEO technology. It has 3.0L V6

The VQ30DD is produicing 240hp. This also has Neo.

The VQ25DD is producing 210hp. THis is with Neo.

for Jeff92SE, this should prove that NEO is a VTEC of Nissan.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

You read Japanese also? If so translate and let me know how NEO = VTEC! ie... NEO = dual cam profile technology.
As far as I know Honda/Acura is the ONLY company that utilizes two different cam profiles on their engines. Alot of makers have cam advancing/retard technology.

Are you sure it's not cam advancing technology??

But those are damned nice engines though! But then again a 3.0 turbo engine had ****ing better make 280hp. The RB26DETT made 280 hp YEARS ago and it's only 2.6 liters

Originally posted by LoveSick
http://www.nissan.co.jp/GLORIA/Y34/0...HA/body1a.html

take a look at the link. All 3 engines in the center of the page are VQ engine. All have NEO and are producing good horse power. The NEO is just Nissan version of VTEC.

The VQ30DET is producing 280hp. This is with the NEO technology. It has 3.0L V6

The VQ30DD is produicing 240hp. This also has Neo.

The VQ25DD is producing 210hp. THis is with Neo.

for Jeff92SE, this should prove that NEO is a VTEC of Nissan.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You read Japanese also? If so translate and let me know how NEO = VTEC! ie... NEO = dual cam profile technology.
As far as I know Honda/Acura is the ONLY company that utilizes two different cam profiles on their engines. Alot of makers have cam advancing/retard technology.

Are you sure it's not cam advancing technology??

But those are damned nice engines though!

Yeah, they are nice heh! 280hp on that VQ.

In Japanese, no where in the site say that the NEO is VTEC. But just like Toyota VVTi, the Neo is an equivalent of the Honda VTEC. We cannot deny the fact that Toyota VVTi and Neo and the Honda VTEC are the exact same, they generally have very similar cam operation. I am not a mechanic, so I don;t know how they work. But I can gurantee you that NEO is made to compete with Honda VTEC. Same as the VVTi.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:30 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

We cannot deny the fact that Toyota VVTi and Neo and the Honda VTEC are the exact same, they generally have very similar cam operation.

I am not a mechanic, so I don;t know how they work.

Are you arguing with yourself? We can't deny they are the same yet you say you don't know how they work in the same breath?
Old 07-18-2001, 02:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

No they are not. VTEC is completly different types of mechanisms than VTC and VVTi are.

The both are used to make more hp/torque BUT THE GO ABOUT IT IN VERY,VERY different ways. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Click this link and learn something.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...tech_index.htm

Yeah, they are nice heh! 280hp on that VQ.

In Japanese, no where in the site say that the NEO is VTEC. But just like Toyota VVTi, the Neo is an equivalent of the Honda VTEC. We cannot deny the fact that Toyota VVTi and Neo and the Honda VTEC are the exact same, they generally have very similar cam operation. I am not a mechanic, so I don;t know how they work. But I can gurantee you that NEO is made to compete with Honda VTEC. Same as the VVTi.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Are you arguing with yourself? We can't deny they are the same yet you say you don't know how they work in the same breath?
SHUT THE HELL UP!

No they are not. VTEC is completly different types of mechanisms than VTC and VVTi are.

The both are used to make more hp/torque BUT THE GO ABOUT IT IN VERY,VERY different ways. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Click this link and learn something.
My wrong!
Old 07-18-2001, 03:03 PM

as if maximaisokay isn't annoying enough..
Old 07-18-2001, 04:46 PM

NEO = Nissan Ecology Orientation.... Basically thats saying that its a green engine, nothing special.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:56 PM

I think something is missing here.

It is NEO-Di

Direct Injection is the key.
The high sulfur content in U.S. gasoline makes it undesirable to have this technology.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:38 PM

How does Direct Injection help produce more power? Because the fuel is sprayed straight in the cylinder? Isn't that what happens normally?

I've wondering about this for a while now..thanks for any reply.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissan's "vtec"

...is actually dubbed "VVL" and engines with this technology usually end in "-VE"

the only engines i could remember with this are the SR20VE [and SR20VET] and the SR16VE [but i think i've seen it listed as SR16VVL]

to my knowledge there are no VQ's with VVL technology. NO nissan engines in the u.s. use it..
Old 07-18-2001, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by focker2889

It is NEO-Di

The high sulfur content in U.S. gasoline makes it undesirable to have this technology.
A year ago I saw the news on sulfur in gas and how it affects engine and the enviromnet, so they tested out different brands of gas.

Exxon has the most sufur
Chevron has some, but not alot
Shell has the least.

Sulfur are said to create massive pollution, clog up fuel filter, clog up catlytic converter, reduce MPG, reduce acceleration, clogging up fuel system. The last but not least, it affects performance.

Sulfur are bad for aluminum, which many new cars and our Maxima has. They are ideal for older engine made of iron, but not the newer aluminum engine.

Although Shell in Canada only comes in the highest of 91 octane, I found it just as smooth as running Chevron 94.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:25 PM

A year ago I saw the news on sulfur in gas and how it affects engine and the enviromnet, so they tested out different brands of gas.

Exxon has the most sufur
Chevron has some, but not alot
Shell has the least.

Sulfur are said to create massive pollution, clog up fuel filter, clog up catlytic converter, reduce MPG, reduce acceleration, clogging up fuel system. The last but not least, it affects performance.

Sulfur are bad for aluminum, which many new cars and our Maxima has. They are ideal for older engine made of iron, but not the newer aluminum engine.

Although Shell in Canada only comes in the highest of 91 octane, I found it just as smooth as running Chevron 94.
What about Amoco, because thats what i use.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

What about Amoco, because thats what i use.
I think they are in the middle. Between the Exxon and Chevron.

BTW, I now only use Chevron or Shell because they were reported to have the least sufur. I personally feel the difference when using those two, especially Shell. They run alot smoother than Exxon.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
How does Direct Injection help produce more power? Because the fuel is sprayed straight in the cylinder? Isn't that what happens normally?

I've wondering about this for a while now..thanks for any reply.
Actually, no. normally the fuel is sprayed into the intake ports, which sits right above the cylinder (thus the injector typically sits "behind" the valves). Direct injection, however, does spray it right into the cylinders.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

oh yea we have to remember that NO japanese car makes more than 280hp according to the manufacturers... i belive so... 280 is a voluntary limit... alota then engines produce alot more...
yea and the gas in Japan is awesome quality....
and yea the SR20VET makes 280hp... they dont use any of that tech here...
and NEO tech doesnt help the VQ30DET make 280hp... if it had to it'd be sad... the VQ30DET makes 280 cuz its turbo... nothin to do with the NEO tech
Old 08-10-2001, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
oh yea we have to remember that NO japanese car makes more than 280hp according to the manufacturers... i belive so... 280 is a voluntary limit... alota then engines produce alot more...
yea and the gas in Japan is awesome quality....
and yea the SR20VET makes 280hp... they dont use any of that tech here...
and NEO tech doesnt help the VQ30DET make 280hp... if it had to it'd be sad... the VQ30DET makes 280 cuz its turbo... nothin to do with the NEO tech
A lot produced a lot more? I can only think of two, Skyline (which was in the 310-330 area, once the ECU is redone without the govenors) and the 3000GT VR4 which is 320 (I think 330-340 in Euro spec).

But I wonder if the VQ30DET cam technology could be applied to our blown Max's, or even N/A?
Old 08-10-2001, 08:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's well known that even though makers only advertised their cars at 280hp, it actually made more.
ie.. R34 skyline, Subaru B4 sedan, Mitsu Lancer evo, Subaru WRX(I think), some of the SR series like mentioned, Lexus older gs300 turbos, some other Japan only cars etc....

Originally posted by SithMax

A lot produced a lot more? I can only think of two, Skyline (which was in the 310-330 area, once the ECU is redone without the govenors) and the 3000GT VR4 which is 320 (I think 330-340 in Euro spec).

But I wonder if the VQ30DET cam technology could be applied to our blown Max's, or even N/A?
Old 08-10-2001, 09:36 AM

It's well known that even though makers only advertised their cars at 280hp, it actually made more.
ie.. R34 skyline, Subaru B4 sedan, Mitsu Lancer evo, Subaru WRX(I think), some of the SR series like mentioned, Lexus older gs300 turbos, some other Japan only cars etc....
I know all about the self-imposed limit. Bit of Trivia: What's the only car produced within the past 10 years to break that limit? Toyota isn't Japanese. They're Korean. Might be manufactured in Japan, I don't know. I'd question the WRX, but I don't know anything about Jap Spec. And you're right on the money with the EVO, completely slipped my mind. I knew this post would bite me in the ***....

Answer: R33 Skyline GT-R Limited Edition 400R putting out 400hp. Due to it's limited run of only 400, nobody seemed to mind. If this is wrong, then the site I read it from is wrong as well, so don't complain to me...
Old 08-10-2001, 11:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

I think the new Q45 exceeds that limit now. So that's two right?

And Toyota isn't Japanese, it's Korean?? Ah...Toyota is god in Japan. Ain't no way in hell Toyota is Korean.

I know all about the self-imposed limit. Bit of Trivia: What's the only car produced within the past 10 years to break that limit? Toyota isn't Japanese. They're Korean. Might be manufactured in Japan, I don't know. I'd question the WRX, but I don't know anything about Jap Spec. And you're right on the money with the EVO, completely slipped my mind. I knew this post would bite me in the ***....

Answer: R33 Skyline GT-R Limited Edition 400R putting out 400hp. Due to it's limited run of only 400, nobody seemed to mind. If this is wrong, then the site I read it from is wrong as well, so don't complain to me...
Old 08-10-2001, 01:28 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....Ain't no.....BLAH BLAH BLAH
Language

Double negative, Jeff. Tisk, tisk.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:58 PM

You're right, but there's a bit more to it. The 400R is a Nismo product, so it wasn't under the restriction for some reason. The other Japanese 'Works Tuners,' STi(Subaru), TRD(Toyota) and Ralliart(Mitsubishi) are the same way. That's why Ralliart can have their 340hp Lancer Evolution VI Extreme, and STi had their 300+hp Impreza WRX 22B.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Black VQ

You're right, but there's a bit more to it. The 400R is a Nismo product, so it wasn't under the restriction for some reason. The other Japanese 'Works Tuners,' STi(Subaru), TRD(Toyota) and Ralliart(Mitsubishi) are the same way. That's why Ralliart can have their 340hp Lancer Evolution VI Extreme, and STi had their 300+hp Impreza WRX 22B.
But are they street legal like the 400R was? It wasn't designed as a race car, it was designed as a street car. They sell a race version (stripped down version) of the GT-R that's seperate from this. I'm not saying anything anymore because I've been wrong too much today. It's gotta be the heat. Yeah... THAT's it...

HOLY CRAP. I was JUST about to hit the "Submit Reply" button and I remembered that it's Hyundai that's Korean, not Toyota. I was kidding about the heat before, but not now. My brain is FRIED. I'm just a big dumb idiot. Only I'm not big, I'm short and skinny. See? Wrong again... Where's the evil moderator to delete this thread when I need him?

Okay, let's ignore me being dumb and sweating like a bastard at 10:30 at night and get back to the question at hand. Anybody think the cams from the VQ30DET could be adapted for a boosted Max? Anybody know ANYTHING about the VQ30DET? I need to learn Japanese...
Old 08-11-2001, 05:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Actually I believe they are finding a way around the 280hp restriction.. i believe Toyota opened or is using a research center and factory in Germany that will eventually produce cars that list hps above 280... and while still carrying the Toyota name they will be imported... i heard that a while ago i duno whats the deal with it......
oh yea think of a Lexus GS400 or LS400 300 290hp... with crappy U.S. fuel... if anything the ones in Japan are as powerful or more... just underrated
Old 08-11-2001, 07:29 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by focker2889

It is NEO-Di

isn't that like mitsubishi's GDI technology
Old 08-11-2001, 09:41 AM

Ummm...

Okay...I don't think that there's a SINGLE Skyline GT-R from any generation that produces only 280hp.

Every year, the Skyline gets bigger and heavier, yet the GT-R gets faster and faster. Sure, they produce slightly more torque with every iteration, but there's still no way that a 3400lb R34 Skyline GT-R can hit 60 in high 4's and the quarter mile in high 12's if it only has 280hp...even with ATTESSA-PRO