General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Woman talking on cell phone = bad day for the max

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Woman talking on cell phone = bad day for the max

This is difficult to post, but at 5:30PM today, I was driving my 93 down 159th street and some s***** f***** d*** a** b**** was talking on her cell phone while pulling out of a gas station. Traffic was backed up as far as the eye could see and I was coming down the left turn lane when she decides to squeeze between a van and some other car so that I couldn't see her, and make a left turn. She pulled out right in front of me, I slammed on the brakes, but it was too late. I smashed into the side of her PT Cruiser doing about 15-20MPH. The woman wouldn't even hang up her phone and roll down her window so that I could ask her if she was OK. No one was injured, but my car and her car didn't do as well. My car took only cosmetic damage, but since I hit her in the wheel, her car doesn't drive and had to be towed. Mine drives fine, but my car looks a lot worse than hers does. Fortunately for me, there were two witnesses at a nearby Oil Experts and Discount Tire Co. that saw the whole thing. They are in my defense saying that I was coming down the turn lane, slowing down for the light, when she pulled out in front of me and that there was no way I could've seen her or stopped in time. I also asked the cop, just to make sure, and he said that I had the right of way and that she was making a left turn and failed to yield to oncoming traffic. Hopefully, everything will work out and her insurance will cover the cost of the damage. If not, I am not sure what I will do about the car. I took some pictures of both cars since I happened to have a digital camera handy.

Update: Here are the pictures.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should get the cop to note that she was talking on the cell at the time. Major leverage to use against her insurance co.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Turbo'd Saab

^^ her insurance could even drop her if they found out that was the cause and if its a reoccurance then she will be dropped....one more off the road. I never answer my cell phone when i'm in my car driving
Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 AM

Another PT Cruiser off the streets, little by little we will get rid of them. That maxima deserves a purple heart.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Turbo'd Saab

^^^^
Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 AM

That's what the traffic was for! I was wondering what the hold up was!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 AM

In FL thats a ticket!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 AM

sounds to me like this would have happened even if she wasnt on a cell phone....but on a happy note: atleast you werent in the 2003
sorry to hear about this, how much damage do you think it did to your car?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:17 AM

i would of been really pi** if that was me.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Should get the cop to note that she was talking on the cell at the time. Major leverage to use against her insurance co.
I tried to, but I had no proof. She denied it and the two witnesses said they were too far away and couldn't tell if she was or not. The cop can't write that down unless witnesses agree or she admits to it.

but on a happy note: atleast you werent in the 2003
Yea, tell me about it. I probably would've killed her if she hit that car.

how much damage do you think it did to your car?
If I take it to a body shop, at least $2500, possibly more because I think that my radiator may have a leak. I may just go to a junkyard and get a hood, bumper, turn signal, license plate bracket, and possibly a radiator. If I did all the work myself, I could save a lot of money. But this is assuming that her insurance doesn't cover the cost of the damages. Since the car probably costs more to fix than it is worth, it is probably totaled. If the insurance company gives me the Book value, and if it's a reasonable amount of money, I may accept it and then offer the car as a whole or part it out on the org.

It's up to the insurance companies now to see how things work out. I am still working on my accident report, so once I send that in, things will finally get moving.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Almost forgot, the reason why my bumper broke open like that is because it already had to cracks in it. Once I hit her, they split apart.

i would of been really pi** if that was me.
Believe me, I am extremely pissed. Right after we hit, I screamed just about every curse word known to man.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Glad your ok though, some freaking drivers really need a good and learn before they get behind the wheel.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I hate that crap... I had an accident of the same type (T-boned her in the front left quarter panel) because some dumb ***** decided to blow through a stop sign doing 30+... People need to learn to judge the safety of their actions, and HANG UP THE DAMN PHONE. My phone records videos, so you better believe I would've had her dumbass on camera!

On a positive note, glad you're OK! Your Max is just a car, it can be rebuilt... But people can't.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Another PT Cruiser off the streets, little by little we will get rid of them. That maxima deserves a purple heart.

/hahaha
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusX
Glad your ok though, some freaking drivers really need a good and learn before they get behind the wheel.
Thanks, and yea, so many people need to go back to drivers ed.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Someone switched lanes into me yesterday. I don't know he he could have possibly looked in his mirror and not seen me, let alone looked out his drivers side window. He just blindly switched lanes into my maxima!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
kthxbye2u

poor third gen
Glad your ok and not TOO much more damage to the car. Florida, I think is dropping the no-fault law.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=Maxima9750]I tried to, but I had no proof. She denied it and the two witnesses said they were too far away and couldn't tell if she was or not. The cop can't write that down unless witnesses agree or she admits to it.

had no proof?!?! maan if that B!tch woulda hit me and was on a cell phone i wouldnt let that go at all. theres no reason to not have proof. Have them to check her history of the call and the time the accident happend, and when she hung up. i'm sorry i'd have to take her down and then get paid on top of that to teach her azz not to do it ever again. good thing ur okay but maan you are better than me
Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Maxima9750
I tried to, but I had no proof. She denied it and the two witnesses said they were too far away and couldn't tell if she was or not. The cop can't write that down unless witnesses agree or she admits to it.

I hate liars.......

this is what i do to them...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by kencapel
had no proof?!?! maan if that B!tch woulda hit me and was on a cell phone i wouldnt let that go at all. theres no reason to not have proof. Have them to check her history of the call and the time the accident happend, and when she hung up. i'm sorry i'd have to take her down and then get paid on top of that to teach her azz not to do it ever again. good thing ur okay but maan you are better than me
That's a good point. I never thought of checking call history and time. In Orland Park, it is not illegal to use your cell phone while driving, but it would be a good point to bring up in an insurance claim. Obviously, she could just erase the call history off of her phone, but the phone company still has the records. Is the insurance company able to get that information from the cell phone company or is it confidential?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Call time would be on the monthly bill, but no, the insurance company cant get it unless its given voluntarily to prove there was no call at that exact time. I think the only other way to get it would through a subpoena in case there was a lawsuit, if this was a more serious accident.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Call time would be on the monthly bill, but no, the insurance company cant get it unless its given voluntarily to prove there was no call at that exact time. I think the only other way to get it would through a subpoena in case there was a lawsuit, if this was a more serious accident.
That was my fear!!!

I just gave my insurance company my claim, so I'll have to wait and see what happens. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Turbo'd Saab

what no one likes my howard dean
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
I personally thought that it was hilarious. I'm just in a bad mood because of this accident. Kinda pissed off.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:38 AM

I loved it. I was laughing.....

You had a nice third. I'm sorry about the accident.

I am going through a driving school right now for FedEx (As verification that I can handle straight trucks, not cars)....and what a refresher course in how to drive. Just when you think you are a great driver, this reminds you that you have let your skills slip a bit. I would encourage anyone to take a refresher course.....

BTW, I've been driving for 15 years, no accidents..... (female here, sorry for the rest of my gender.....I hate to talk on the phone and drive, it isn't my strong point, so I don't do it).
Old 07-20-2007, 04:20 AM

[/IMG]

I feel your pain.. I got in the same accident in 2005 although the lady I hit wasn't even on the phone, she just darted out in traffic and stopped in my lane. I hit her car in the same spot as you hit the PT. Your damage is a little worse, but you can still end up in the green. Just collect the insurance, fix it up, and you could still have some extra money to spare..
Old 07-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Update: The insurance companies have settled on a decision and I got lucky, sort of. Her insurance is paying 100% of the cost, however, I was quoted $3200 to fix the car. Sounds steep to me, but I'm guessing the radiator also needs to be replaced. I am also wondering if the frame is bent. I don't think that I hit her hard enough to bend it, but the hood, bumper, radiator, turn signal, and grill don't add up to $3200 if you ask me. She said that they may just give me a write off for my car but they are still determining how much it will be. I will wait and see what they offer, but I doubt that it will be much more than $1500, if I'm lucky. What do you guys think I should do? Keep in mind that I still have my 2003, but then I will have to put the insurance for that car under my name and then my rates will shoot up. I didn't have collision coverage on the 93 but on the 03, I definatley want it.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Beast Mode!!!

If they ask for proof of her being on the phone... contact her cell phone provider
Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
retired moderator

basically the same way that soonerfan's 2000 max got totalled, except he was doing like 40 and sent the pickup he hit all the way across the intersection (their fault, illegal turn, etc)
Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Sapphire Blue what a shame

Woman anything typically = bad day for a Max
Old 07-21-2007, 06:49 PM
heresmymind

glad to hear you are alright. as for her tell her to buy a blue tooth and some eye surgery for extra peripheral vision :-p

Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Hey 4mySwee, that sig of a woman under the bumper cracked me up, where did you pick up that pic, i bet anything that could been Dolly Parton trying to fix her poor old bimmer.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
BYEAHHHHHHH!

And I am sorry to hear of the accident but glad to hear that everything is going to be resolved without a huge dent in your pocket.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Now youve got PT germs on your car, get them off, get them off.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ninjasword71
Now youve got PT germs on your car, get them off, get them off.
LOL, yea I try not to think about that. I hope they don't make my car break down as often as a Chrysler LOL.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM

I was leaving work for lunch, get the green turn arrow, guy in an '02 SE same sparkle gray as mine comes from the other side (didn't stop on red ), and then proceeded to try to take my left lane instead of his right lane. Hell, I'd've settled for him taking the middle lane. It made me decide I need better brakes. Destroyed my front quarter panel, corner light, and bumper, only scratched his bumper and broke the side light. 73 more hp and he couldn't not hit me? :\ That's one 1986 Toyota Tercel more, it could do it.

I got off lucky, it didn't total it, but it's a reasonable payback to get it fixed. Yours had a much worse day though.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Well, here's the good news, my car is obviously totaled but her insurance company isn't going cheap. They are offering $2800 for a write-off and then I can buy it back for $150. I am not sure if I am going to sell it or fix it myself with parts from the junkyard. If I sell it, then I have to move my name onto the 2003 instead of my parents and then my insurance will sky rocket. I am trying to decide if it is worth keeping or not since I don't need two cars. Basically, I have my 93 now to keep my insurance rates low (no collision) and because I like the car. I am deciding on whether to sell it or not based on what kind of offers I get. If anyone wants it, name a price keeping in mind that you will have to fix it before driving it. It will need a new hood, bumper, turn signal, radiator, and the core frame that the radiator bolts on to needs to be straitened out. Keep in mind that if I don't think the offers are good enough to sell it I will end up keeping it.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 PM

If I was in your situation, I would buy it back, AND buy a 3rd gen from someone on the org so you know that the seller can accurately describe any issues the car has or that have been fixed. There are always a few in the f/s forum. Mine is not for sale

This way you will have another 3rd gen, and can use some parts from your old car to fix whatever may be wrong or broken on it, then part out / junk the rest.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:38 PM

Re: her lying about it...

It would be easy enough for your insurance company to check her phone bill. There would be a record if she was on the phone.

Too bad about the car :-(
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM

Couldn't you ask the cop to see her call log and look at the last call received/dialed and duration of the call?

Quick Reply: Woman talking on cell phone = bad day for the max