General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Paint scheme rice or no rice?
Yes - Uncle Ben's
54.39%
No - Thought-out and unique
45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Paint scheme idea/ photoshop request

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM

Paint scheme idea/ photoshop request

This was from a previous thread.....

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/HRF278.aspx

I think I've got it! After extensively scouring the web for different types of materials I could use to do this, this paint def. seems like it would be the best. It's still paint, so it'll chip and scratch, but oh well. It's either this or about 20k for a powdercoat (stripping the car down to the chassis), 5k for a rhinolining (yes they can do it lol) or this. I found this website off of a VW forum, and their rides look nice in matte. I'm going to do the gunsmoke metalic, with a flat black stripe like this (obviously this one is white).......

I'm 99.9% sure this is what I want, but if absolutely everyone thinks this'll look ricey, I'm not going to do it. I think the metallic gunsmoke and and the flat-black will not stick out, but will have a nice subtle effect. Plus, this scheme will go ****ing awsome with my perfect black leather interior.....

That'll be the next thing I change, I'll do the pillars (that are silver now), headliner, and rear deck carpet in black as well. What do you guys think?????

PS, if anyone wants to photochop a stock pic of an 2002 maxima with these details, it'd be much appreciated I dont have access to any of my pictures of my car from work
Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Oh yeah, djfrestyl and Max_Out, I will def. keep everyone posted on the project, and I'm going to be taking photos the whole way, from start to finish
Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
retired moderator

no.

racing stripes are for race cars, 80s Camaros, and classic sportscars.....and nothing else.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
retired moderator

if you absolutely have to do it, have vinyl stripes made (probably a couple hundred $$). then you can remove them without ruining your paint once you realize how dumb they look on a maxima.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 PM
on the G coupe bandwagon

Just say no to racing stripes.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
on the G coupe bandwagon

On second thought...screw that. It's your car, and if you think it's tight go for it. Racing stripes are definitely not my style (I like a it clean and simple), but it's not my car either. Make it yours!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 PM

No. Just NO. Please no.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Turbo'd Saab

thats a yes, do it do it do it do it

sarcasm over the internet just doesn't work....

OH and MR. and Mrs. smith FTL
Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 AM

do it if it makes you happy. make your car your own not somebody elses
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
racing stripes are for race cars, 80s Camaros, and classic sportscars.....and nothing else.
I hear ya, but it's not going to be a white stripe. I was even thinking adding some darker pigment to the gunsmoke metallic, so it'd be hard to see. I realize that having a clearly defined stripe would look retarted, and very . Plus, if I do it that way, if it really does look retarded, I'll know it within a week of spraying, and it wont be that hard to respray the bumper, hood, roof and trunk.

The things that will take the longest to get right are definately the door jambs, engine compartment, underneath the hood and trunk lids. I do appreciate everyones input. I want honesty, not what people think I want to hear.....
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

I like that setup but not on 4 door sedans that have luxury appeal. If it were an M3 or some sports car, i would say heck yea. If you do this to your car, everything else has to take a sports look approach (rims, body kit, etc). I would be happy to see this setup on a car like MaxBoost.

I prefer the details on the side but its your car. If you think its hot and looks good on that BMW, i'm sure it will look just as good on an 02 max.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:39 AM
Banned

if you absolutely have to do it, have vinyl stripes made (probably a couple hundred $$). then you can remove them without ruining your paint once you realize how dumb they look on a maxima.
+1
Old 08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

It is not a cheap fix if you paint it out. That racing stripe idea isn't that bad. Considering it's offset and not directly down the center, or two down the center like the gaystangs.

However, go with a vinyl, they've got a million colors to choose from. If you don't like it, it's not going to cost you another 2g's remove. IT WILL COST THAT MUCH IF YOU DON'T HAVE A HOOK UP. Just tryin to get the point across. Good luck.

Oh... get what you want and don't let this forum, or any other one, determine what you should do with your car. You pay the note on it, not us.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM

those bm's are from the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith. i have never seen a stripe on a max i would say do it. it would look unique and one of a kind.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by raziq_afg
those bm's are from the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith. i have never seen a stripe on a max i would say do it. it would look unique and one of a kind.
Yeah, it's Mr. and Mrs. Smith lol. My favorite part was when brad pitt was in the back seat and when the guy tried to jump in, he just continued his journey out the other side, and smiled and said "these doors are handy". I laughed my *** off the first time I saw that.

Anyway, back on track. I think I'm going to do it, and since I will be spraying it myself, It wont cost me that much more. I've sprayed cars before, so I know the prepwork is the biggest pita. I think the last time I did it, 90% was prep/sanding, and 10% was spray. But at least I'm going to be saving myself a ****load of time when I do my car, because I want a matte, and I don't have to go throught the rigorous process of wetsanding the color, polishing compound, and buffing it all to a high mirror shine. I can just leave it as-is. (well, maybe a little wet-sanding will be in order ) I havent decided on exactly what paint though, there is an excellent paint shop around here that has PPG and 3M paints. I know I want that matte gunsmoke metallic, and those guys at this place paint cars for fun, so I'm going to trust any and all advice they give me.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
You embarrass me.

Its unique, as long as its not too noticeable, I'd say go for it. It's your car, do exactly what YOU want.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM

depends on what mods you have and what your intent is for the car. Whats your mod list?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by hybridc24k
depends on what mods you have and what your intent is for the car. Whats your mod list?
Installed I just have a Berk intake, but I have a lot of parts sitting in my garage right now.

I have:

Fidanza flywheel
350Z clutch kit
Illumina's + H&R's
Stage 1 LTB from mat blehm (coming soon)
RSB (ordering that soon)
FSB (ordering that soon)
Hopefully over the winter I'm saving for some lightweight wheels, I want in a powdercoat or gunmetal to match my paint-job.

I'm waiting for next spring to do all of this, first off, I've never dropped a car before, and I don't want to have 4 months to figure out how to drive it then get blasted with NY winters. My clutch still has some life left in it, so I'll smoke it during the winter time, and leave the clutch/flywheel for the spring. I cant buy the rims yet, because I have to spend mad dough on 17' Blizzaks for the winter, after that I'll save for rims + summer tires. And I'm also waiting for the winter time to tint my windows, because I'm sure I'll forget that I cant roll them down for a week and ruin the tint.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Well honestly with those mods I would not do the stripes or paint. Do some other stuff that you enjoy before getting a lot of attention from people. F/I or some other performance mods that give you some good power, then some lip kit or other subtle cosmetic things. Get nice wheels. That is a must. Then you can do the paint.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM

If there was F/I for a 3.5L, I would keep the outside stock, and go with the sleeper look. I'm still going to paint it matte black, but I've got to do some thinking about the stripe. Since I'm going to be doing it myself, I can redo as necessary.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, it seems like it's a pretty even split. I think I'm going to do it, because it'll be something new, something different. It's my car (like a lot have pointed out) so I think I want to follow through with one of my own ideas for a change, instead of trying to copy everyone else with their mods/ideas. Thanks again, and I'll keep everyone posted when I start to do it......
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM

listen to him hes right.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by gunny11218
listen to him hes right.
Even if you have vinyl stripes made when you remove it there will be a difference in paint fade so its kinda like the same thing. But I guess its still better than having to repaint the whole car if you get sick of the stripes.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM

believe it or not...the first time i saw this style of off center stripe i saw a black 3rd gen with yellow stripes exactly like those shown in post #1 outside my nieghborhood for sale a few years back.

it was ok... a lil rough with yellow/black but it if had real mods and more exterior work to accompany the stripes it woulda been hot IMO
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM

I guess If you have like a crew (maxima crew or autoclub) and you do the racing stripes on all cars. It would look nice + different........but, that's just me
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
dko
duck and cover

well you asked for a quick photoshop... it's quite amateur, but it will give you a good idea of what a maxima looks like with awesome racing stripes

Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by dko
well you asked for a quick photoshop... it's quite amateur, but it will give you a good idea of what a maxima looks like with awesome racing stripes

LMAO! That's ****in funny man. And you even took the time to put a little pink kitty on the door. How thoughtfull!

What I wanted was a matte gunsmoke (AKA not as black as black, darker than gray) with the stripe being 2-3 shades darker so it doesnt stick out like a fat kid in a leotard. I hope that was a joke lol
Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 PM

LOL!! Love the photochop!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
dko
duck and cover

yea, it's a joke. but seriously, stripes just really, really don't belong on a maxima. unless you are going full show and competing in HIN or something.

like said above, they only belong on classic cars or race cars. i don't think stripes even belong on any BMW M's... maybe on a CSL
Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 AM

...i saw the same stripe.on a 3rdg...and it wasnt as retchid as we all think it would be
Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dko
yea, it's a joke. but seriously, stripes just really, really don't belong on a maxima. unless you are going full show and competing in HIN or something.

like said above, they only belong on classic cars or race cars. i don't think stripes even belong on any BMW M's... maybe on a CSL
My thoughts exactly!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM

please No Stripes!!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by dko
Wha, wha, what the hell is that? LOL, thank god I haven't seen that on any ricers yet, but you never know.