General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ordering Addco RASB today, quick question for you guys first please..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 01:57 PM
Licensed to Spell

O.k. guys. What do you think? Urethane or rubber? The part number (for the 4th gen. anyway) is #655. And depending on if you want urethane or competition, it has a 'U' or an 'S' suffix. Ex. #655-U. Not sure which to get. I think the 'S' is more sporty while the 'U' is more comfortable. Is that right? I don't want the rear ani-sway bar to stiffen my ride so should I get the 'U'? But I would like the increase in handling if there is any. So should I get the 'S'?! Also, I think the urethane bushings require maintenance (a lubricant every so often). Anyway, as you can see, I'm having trouble here! lol. Any and all advice appreciated. Have a great weekend guys.

*** Straight from Addco's site:

NOW! KITS ARE AVAILABLE IN RUBBER OR URETHANE!!
When ordering, please place the letter "U" behind the
three digit stock number to indicate URETHANE BUSHING
Three digit stock number = Kits packed in RUBBER
Three digit stock number and the letter "U" = Kits packed in URETHANE
Three digit stock number and the letter "S" = Kits packed as a COMPETITION
SERIES
COMPETITION SERIES COMES WITH A BOOK ON HANDLING, RUBBER AND URETHANE
BUSHINGS, AND ADJUSTABLE END-LINKS WHERE
APPLICABLE.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:31 PM

Definately get the urethane bushings over the rubber. Urethane doesn't compress like rubber does, so the sway bar will be much more responsive.

I don't think that a "competition" option applies on the Maxima since there are no end links.

I was under my car Tuesday night to install a y-pipe and decided to try and adjust my Addco RSB to make it stiffer. I discovered that to adjust them, I would have to relocate or remove the emergency brake cable anchor bolts on each side. That's when I realized I should have bought the $tealin.

Don't get me wrong; the Addco is a good piece for the money, but I sure could use a stiffer setting for autocrossing.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:52 PM
Licensed to Spell

Ummm...

Thanks Sine for the reply. However, you lost me. First you said get the urethane(U)but then you said you wish yours was stiffer. Isn't that what the Competition (S) do? Makes it stiffer? Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:41 PM

When I got mine, there was no "competition" version. I got the impression from your post that it was only available if the bar had end links. After re-reading, maybe that's not the case. If it is available, I don't understand what would be different.

In years past, aluminum blocks were available as replacements for the urethane bushings. Very stiff, but very noisy; not anything you would want for the street.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
When I got mine, there was no "competition" version. I got the impression from your post that it was only available if the bar had end links. After re-reading, maybe that's not the case. If it is available, I don't understand what would be different.

In years past, aluminum blocks were available as replacements for the urethane bushings. Very stiff, but very noisy; not anything you would want for the street.
i would get the urethane bushings.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:49 PM
Licensed to Spell

Urethane, huh?

Originally posted by 97GLES
i would get the urethane bushings.
O.k., but WHY do you say that?! Thanks.
Old 07-21-2001, 07:01 AM

Re: Urethane, huh?

Originally posted by ptatohed

O.k., but WHY do you say that?! Thanks.
before when i had a mustang 5.0 i had rubber in the front and urethane in the rear. i ended changing all of them to urethane all around and i felt better performance.(it feels like when you put a new pair of shocks on )
Old 07-21-2001, 10:06 AM
Licensed to Spell

O.k., thanks...

Originally posted by 97GLES
before when i had a mustang 5.0 i had rubber in the front and urethane in the rear. i ended changing all of them to urethane all around and i felt better performance.(it feels like when you put a new pair of shocks on )

That makes sense. Thanks for the explaination. When you say it feels better, does it only play a role when turning? Or can you feel the rear anti-sway bar in normal, everyday driving straight down the road? Thanks again, have a great weekend.

P.s. What is a GLES?
Old 07-21-2001, 04:24 PM

Re: O.k., thanks...

Originally posted by ptatohed

That makes sense. Thanks for the explaination. When you say it feels better, does it only play a role when turning? Or can you feel the rear anti-sway bar in normal, everyday driving straight down the road? Thanks again, have a great weekend.

P.s. What is a GLES?
i got a gle but has everything a se has but the 5-speed. the only way you can tell it's a gle is by the tag on the trunk. everyone thinks it's a se so i call it a gles.

you will feel the differance when you take turns but you will have a better feel for the road at all times, even when going straight.