General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WarpSpeed and Budget Exhaust Y pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 08:36 AM

So how many actually went thru with the Budget Exhaust Ypipe deal? And if so what are the results? If bad or good could you inform a guy Also what did Warpspeed come up with from their version of the 200.00 Y pipe? If any of you guys have info could you inform the rest of us..

Thanks in advance

Im just researching a tad bit...Im one of those people who want the best but when it comes to Y pipes and B pipes that will last at least 4-5 years I don't really care if it's SS or not cause it's under the vehicle and Im not into showing too much plus I think the salt here will have them all looking the same after while
Old 07-23-2001, 08:54 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

as we speak

at this moment in time my budget y-pipe is being put on at a local shop. i hope to have it dyno'd by the end of the week. anyway, i like the pipe it's solid construction. BUT it's not that pretty. black finish that looks flat black. I DO NOT care how it looks.. the shop said it seemed to be a good pipe. they have done 8/10 maximas here in atlanta. so i like the pipe and will be posting again soon about the butt dyno and the real dyno. hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WarpSpeed NMB Ypipes

Funny you should ask:

I was on the phone this morning with Jody in New York who had just installed one of our NMB Y pipes on his 97 Maxima.
He said once he finally got his stock pipe off it was only about 15 minutes to get the new one on, fit was perfect.

So far he has been amazed with the power increase results. The pipe we sent him had an unlined flex section and was only about 10% louder than his stock Y pipe, well I take that back, he said around 6,000 rpm he could hear a little noise. We did a little design change on the NMB version to tweak the flow to make up for the slight difference in pipe diameter. (Jody is going to register for the forum and will post his results himself as well)

We do have 2 more cars, one a 1995 and the other a gen 3 car which have already been dynoed stock at the KC meet which will have a NMB Y pipe installed this week for the second dyno, we also plan to dyno with a MB Y pipe as well so we can show a true comparison.

We are also going to dyno our WarpSpeed 1996 SE Maxima stock so we can test against our prototype non flex section Y pipe (nope, not a slip joint) just a radical free flowing design which we know will squeeze out a few more hp.

We have some aluminized cold rolled steel(10)VG and (10) VQ NMB pipes in the works and are equipping them with lined flex sections. Made and assembled in the USA for under $200.

(We don't paint them because the paint just burns off anyway, as well it is a dead giveaway in the emissions inspection.)

Dallas and Dan
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 07-23-2001, 11:48 PM

I should have my prototype Warpspeed NMB y-pipe on tomorrow with a little luck, managed to screw up an O2 sensor, so I'm waiting for a new one before I install it.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:00 AM

Please post results!!!!

The y-pipe is my last power mod for this year and I'd like to know just how well the NMB pipe performs. Warpspeed I'm keeping my eye on you! Please post various dyno runs with the NMB y pipe. My flew section is pretty rusted and by its appearance will start leaking soon. So I'll need to get a new y-pipe w/ flex section soon. I really think NMB pipe will be exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:43 AM

Re: WarpSpeed NMB Ypipes

[i]

We have some aluminized cold rolled steel(10)VG and (10) VQ NMB pipes in the works and are equipping them with lined flex sections. Made and assembled in the USA for under $200.

Dallas and Dan
WarpSpeed Performance [/B]
can i put my name down for one of the ten VQ NMB pipes?
Old 07-24-2001, 03:27 PM

What the power difference in a NMB versus a MB Y-pipe?
Has anyone dynoed the two pipes?

Just seems funny that people would be willing to sacrafice power for a little bit of cash. I mean people spend hundreds on an exhaust only expecting a few hp in return
Old 07-24-2001, 03:36 PM

Re: Please post results!!!!

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
Please post various dyno runs with the NMB y pipe.
We will dyno them soon. Guido_sst and I are prototyping them right now and are going to have our car dynoed to see what the gains are.

Originally posted by breaux124
Just seems funny that people would be willing to sacrafice power for a little bit of cash. I mean people spend hundreds on an exhaust only expecting a few hp in return
Some people, especially those with 3rd gens don't have a lot of money, $100 is a lot and takes a while to save up. That's kinda like sayin why don't all fifth gens have a SC?
Old 07-24-2001, 06:17 PM

That's the point....you don't see..that's why these different options are tested...TO SEE...not trying to be smart just stating my opinion...and you are right some people do spend alot on exhaust mods for only a few horses..but what if it was a way to get the same result with lesser dollars...that's how people keep money...it's all about your investment..since im not to big on show as far as my Ypipe and Bpipe go thats why im figuring and exploring ALL OPTIONS if the same result is made..im down for one..no biggie..we all have our interest and maybe this isn't one of yours...but hey this is America and it's your choice...

Stay up
If someone came out with a 800.00 Y pipe would you buy it just because it cost more but does the same as the Cattman.....Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm
Old 07-25-2001, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by RICOiz704
That's the point....you don't see..that's why these different options are tested...TO SEE...not trying to be smart just stating my opinion...and you are right some people do spend alot on exhaust mods for only a few horses..but what if it was a way to get the same result with lesser dollars...that's how people keep money...it's all about your investment..since im not to big on show as far as my Ypipe and Bpipe go thats why im figuring and exploring ALL OPTIONS if the same result is made..im down for one..no biggie..we all have our interest and maybe this isn't one of yours...but hey this is America and it's your choice...

Stay up
If someone came out with a 800.00 Y pipe would you buy it just because it cost more but does the same as the Cattman.....Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm
I was just saying, would you be willing to buy the y-pipe still if it was 5-8hp less than the Mandrel bent?
I realize that it's hard to gather the cash up for mods, but people are willing to spend money on mod that don't yield very much power, and then skimp on the mods that do.

Examples:
UDP - $200+ and about a 5hp gain
RT Cat - $180 and about a 4hp gain
Exhaust - $350+ and about a 5hp gain

So would you be willing to save $100 if you knew that the NMB Y-pipe was 5-8 hp less? If it made the same output, then of course it would be a great deal. If that $800 Y-pipe gave me 10-15hp over the cattman then Yes I would consider it.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:54 AM

That's the thing Bryan we don't know....and if that's the case of course Stevie Wonder can see that would be a bad investment...but at all cost..if it does come out to almost the same H.P that'll be a good consideration....But your point is well recieved and I agree....I wouldn't invest in it if the h.p came out to your assumption
Old 07-25-2001, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

I was just saying, would you be willing to buy the y-pipe still if it was 5-8hp less than the Mandrel bent?
I realize that it's hard to gather the cash up for mods, but people are willing to spend money on mod that don't yield very much power, and then skimp on the mods that do.

Examples:
UDP - $200+ and about a 5hp gain
RT Cat - $180 and about a 4hp gain
Exhaust - $350+ and about a 5hp gain

So would you be willing to save $100 if you knew that the NMB Y-pipe was 5-8 hp less? If it made the same output, then of course it would be a great deal. If that $800 Y-pipe gave me 10-15hp over the cattman then Yes I would consider it.
Bryan I agree if the NMB y-pipes lose more than 5 hp to the MB pipes then MB pipes maybe the way to go. But the only way to know is to see the dyno charts. Once we do, then we can make a better judgement. Performance and economically.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

Performance and economically.
You are correct!
Old 07-26-2001, 09:07 PM

hey, i know warpspeed has given the effort to make a good high quality NMB ypipe. does anyone here have any firsthand experience with budget exhausts? i would like to know how long it took to mail, their service and if the pipe fits correctly. how much noise does the flex section make? its not a lined flex section is it? the only thing i do know about the comparison is that WSP does not make a NMB pipe out of 304 stainless steel when budget exhaust has a 409 and 304 SS version. i would like to buy a NMB pipe very soon. i would like some help to choose which pipe would be best. thanks.