General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

why can't I gain more then 1/2 car on a 105hp sunfire 0-90km/h??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 06:23 PM

this guy was driving slow in a normal sunfire coupe (I know its not the 150hp GT version because it only has one exhaust)so I decided to go to the other lane to pass him, then when we start he took off hard, it looked like a manual I heard the car rev before it started moving, then he got 1/2 carlength on me ( I didn't know he want to race), then I WOT it (car still in first) and off 10-90km/h, at 90km/h my lane was closing and I couldn't gain a full car on him so I had to brake and go in... now I really wnat to cry because my car smells like sh** (read my other thread) and I can't even walk a stick sunfire that has like 105hp, I just got syntec oil change done and everythign seems fine, car usually shifts at 6100rpm WOT, is there somethign wrong with my car? or was that guy spraying, the engine sounded like stock
Old 07-23-2001, 06:28 PM

There is something wrong with your car.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
There is something wrong with your car.
I'll probably get it check out next weekend, but in the afternoon I did hung with a vw jetta 1.8, did a couple 40-75mph runs he didn't pull on me, I didn't pull on him, it was like hte prelude race I had earlier this week, but this is going uphill
Old 07-23-2001, 06:35 PM

Max vs. sunfire?

The sunfire is a speck lighter, but you should have whooped em! does the automotive world have any aftermarket parts to make it a worthy adversary?
Old 07-23-2001, 06:44 PM

now that I think abt, he was either a really good driver or mod that was not visual/can't hear, or maybe my car is just lazy early in the morning, if you want good race, try picking on a malibiu V6, I ran one going 20 to 80 up a really really high hill, and I didn't gain on him at all, even up to 70+mph he showed no sign of losing highend power from the OHV, the second one I ran, I don't know what happened maybe I got a late start, but she smoked me by 2 cars that was preety sad...on even ground with same R/T you should be able to take those cars
Old 07-23-2001, 06:56 PM

Re: Max vs. sunfire?

I have never went up against a malibu or any U.S. v6. nor was intimadated to do so ,NTBASA. I'm a true blue American, but U.S. cars blow,pretty much all of them.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:19 PM

Proly a Sunfire GT or NOS . Not sure if all years had the dual tips. I had a "large" over 270LBs friend with me, and about 90lbs of stuff in my trunk in boxes, and got walked by a stick shift sun fire GT with just an intake in my Auto 5th gen I know, excuses excuses, but I was sure it was the weight. I told him to wait for me while I unload as I was almost home, and he said he would wait a few minutes so we could go again, but he left right away.

Not all amercan cars suck. There are a few good ones. Most of GMs V6s are pretty quick because of the strong low end they have. The new Grand AM sport version will be 285HP and is supposed to be a mustang killer.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:34 PM

Re: Re: Max vs. sunfire?

Plesse don't get me wrong U.S. muscle still exists. But my family has always had Caddys, lincolns,and the younger has had 350 camaros and fomulas. currently my brother has a GTP, and it flys, all kinds of neat stuff! But the car has also failed mechanicaly and electronicly. The U.S. often (in my opinion) wants to be the latest and greatest on modern tech. however they put to much product development into new tech. rather than things they have not yet perfected
Old 07-23-2001, 08:02 PM

I know its the normal model think they call it SE, my mom used to own one of those in 95, I was a kid back then and couldn't drive but I could tell that thing is slow with 3spd automatic, I gotta pick on someone thats automagic and compact, oh well at least I didn't lost, just couldn't past it.

yourmove: I think that GM tries to look/be high tech with all the stuff/texture they put on the car but failed to make them reliable, spent way too much time putting toys in and making them fall apart

Tex: that grand am is gonna be crazy with all those torque steer, better not pick on them when you get yr GS400 or they'll smoke ya
Old 07-23-2001, 08:26 PM
PhatGuy

First off he hit WOT before you. 90km is like 55mph so if you give any car a lead and want to fully pass them from 5-55mph you are going to need some room and a bit of time. I assume your Auto? And I also assume you have zero mods on you car? Your other races were from a roll (jetta) and at higher speeds as well plus again I "assume" you both hit WOT on those races at the same time. A rolling race from 5mph-55mph doesn't take long and if you give any car a lead don't expect to pass them at 55mph especially if your lane is ending and your coming from behind unless you drive an extremely fast car ie. C5 etc.. Don't sweat it man!

Originally posted by costcowholesale
this guy was driving slow in a normal sunfire coupe (I know its not the 150hp GT version because it only has one exhaust)so I decided to go to the other lane to pass him, then when we start he took off hard, it looked like a manual I heard the car rev before it started moving, then he got 1/2 carlength on me ( I didn't know he want to race), then I WOT it (car still in first) and off 10-90km/h, at 90km/h my lane was closing and I couldn't gain a full car on him so I had to brake and go in... now I really wnat to cry because my car smells like sh** (read my other thread) and I can't even walk a stick sunfire that has like 105hp, I just got syntec oil change done and everythign seems fine, car usually shifts at 6100rpm WOT, is there somethign wrong with my car? or was that guy spraying, the engine sounded like stock

Old 07-23-2001, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

umm

was ur handbrake up? j/k something definitley wrong with ur car get it checked out immediatley!!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

god

Was God driving the Sunfire?
Old 07-23-2001, 09:11 PM

maine: no I AM GOD! MAXIMA RULEZ THATS WHY I DRIVE IT and I'm 2 lazy to fly it must be a ghost driving the sunfire = 0 weight

phatguy: from the stories I've heard here you can basicly smoke any <130hp 4cyc with a couple carslength at 60, and it made me beleive that my car is super fast- and because I'm god therefore I'm the fastest and can smoke anything on earth! and the Jetta race, he started first I followed like one second later so I did give him a headstart, but I quickly closed the gap and the distance stayed

maximarider: I've tied a stock new prelude 5spd before (2weeks ago) he got a head start (I never pick on people or go WOT asking for it, they're the one that wnats some) I closed the gap then he pulled 1/2 car then I pulled 1/4 car then he puled 1/4 car and end of race brought it up to around 80mph I think...I lost, barely if we started together it would probably be a tie and it takes prelude a while to get into vtec in first,
Old 07-23-2001, 09:27 PM

There is one thing I want to point out. 3 days ago, I encountered a VR6 Jetta with 17" in front of me. The guy knew my existence and started pulling hard knowing that I wanted to go fast. The Jetta was pulling so hard that I had to floor it the whole way just to catch up within 2 car length behind him. I was by myself in the car and the Jetta was driven by a mid life crises guy with a young girl. The windows were all shut on the Jetta, so I think he had A/C on.

I just don't know why, I just had to floor it all the way in 2nd gear to 6000+rpm just to stay behind him. There was no way I could pass him when he was pulling so hard.

I think the Jetta has no more than 180hp, plus that I was driving a 222hp car, that just doesn't seem right to me. Why is he so fast? Is playing catch up always make your car slower than when your beside him?

I just had 10W30 conventional oil changed 5 days ago.

BTW, we only use conventional oil because we change them every 2 months.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:29 PM
PhatGuy

A couple of car lengths to 60 with even starts would be about right. A couple of car lengths if the guy gets a head start and it is only to 55 and lane merges....in an auto...doubt it..you would probably be pulling even with him at that point just getting ready to pass. Not sure how much racing you do but everything sounds normal.

maine: no I AM GOD! MAXIMA RULEZ THATS WHY I DRIVE IT and I'm 2 lazy to fly it must be a ghost driving the sunfire = 0 weight

phatguy: from the stories I've heard here you can basicly smoke any <130hp 4cyc with a couple carslength at 60, and it made me beleive that my car is super fast- and because I'm god therefore I'm the fastest and can smoke anything on earth! and the Jetta race, he started first I followed like one second later so I did give him a headstart, but I quickly closed the gap and the distance stayed

maximarider: I've tied a stock new prelude 5spd before (2weeks ago) he got a head start (I never pick on people or go WOT asking for it, they're the one that wnats some) I closed the gap then he pulled 1/2 car then I pulled 1/4 car then he puled 1/4 car and end of race brought it up to around 80mph I think...I lost, barely if we started together it would probably be a tie and it takes prelude a while to get into vtec in first,

Old 07-23-2001, 09:40 PM
is invisible

Having power doesn't make up for build-quality...

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Not all amercan cars suck. There are a few good ones. Most of GMs V6s are pretty quick because of the strong low end they have. The new Grand AM sport version will be 285HP and is supposed to be a mustang killer.
I never doubted GM's penchant for power...done the old-fashioned way (displacement). IMHO, their only marvels in modern engineering exist in their automatic trannies...they're damn good; look at the performance times for an auto C5...it's surprisingly close to the 6-speed.

However, the resale of GMs (and most American cars) is pitiful...IMHO, the proof of their quality..after all, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:49 PM
PhatGuy

Don't bother trying to race a VR6 (90% of the time they are 5spds) when you are already behind. You won't be able to pass him if at all for quite a while let alone pull even..if you do it might be somewhere around 180km+. If you caught up to him at all was probably the fact you were drafting him. As for A/C being on really isn't a big factor these days since the compressor usually shuts off at WOT. I don't understand why people try to race other relatively evenly matched cars that are already 2-4 cars ahead of them and also WOT before you. If that happens just leave it alone and let him speed away.

Do your parents know you drive their car hard? Word of advice to you: Don't start street racing especially since you have no driving experience and in mom/dad's car that has over 200HP.

PS Good for the Jetta guy having a young girl in his car...maybe it was his daughter....maybe he is a mack? Your 17 and drive your parents nice cars you should have tons of girls flocking around. (gold diggers start early these days)

Originally posted by LoveSick
There is one thing I want to point out. 3 days ago, I encountered a VR6 Jetta with 17" in front of me. The guy knew my existence and started pulling hard knowing that I wanted to go fast. The Jetta was pulling so hard that I had to floor it the whole way just to catch up within 2 car length behind him. I was by myself in the car and the Jetta was driven by a mid life crises guy with a young girl. The windows were all shut on the Jetta, so I think he had A/C on.

I just don't know why, I just had to floor it all the way in 2nd gear to 6000+rpm just to stay behind him. There was no way I could pass him when he was pulling so hard.

I think the Jetta has no more than 180hp, plus that I was driving a 222hp car, that just doesn't seem right to me. Why is he so fast? Is playing catch up always make your car slower than when your beside him?

I just had 10W30 conventional oil changed 5 days ago.

BTW, we only use conventional oil because we change them every 2 months.

Old 07-23-2001, 11:04 PM

Maybe i'm old fashioned, or just getting old fast (im only in my 20s), but I think that people should really think before they go racing cars, or encouraging others to do so. We're always talking about beating this and that, but I worry about some of the people on this site racing anything. No offense Cosco, but you're 16 right? You haven't been driving that long, you have a car thats way faster than you should have, and you're out to prove it. I am glad you live in Canada, but I worry about the folks here who I share the road with that think that they're god, and decide to race down the same highway i'm taking my little sister down. It's not just you that gets hurt when you f^ck up, its usually alot more.
Old 07-23-2001, 11:11 PM

hey cosco...its pry just your car...by the looks of your sig...you don't take very good care of your ride! its a shame....poor maxima
Old 07-23-2001, 11:35 PM

I dont know what you guys are smoking. I beat a Malibu several times in my VG/5spd. Ill admit it, he was doing pretty good. We raced on 2 lanes, my lane was ending. I think the ground was damp or something because I had serious spinning/hopping problems. Despite that, I beat him.

As for domestic V6s...I used to have a '95 Beretta Z26 (3100 OHV with 4spd auto) and look what Im driving now.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:22 AM
ejj

if you want good race, try picking on a malibiu V6, I ran one going 20 to 80 up a really really high hill, and I didn't gain on him at all, even up to 70+mph he showed no sign of losing highend power from the OHV, the second one I ran, I don't know what happened maybe I got a late start, but she smoked me by 2 cars that was preety sad...on even ground with same R/T you should be able to take those cars
Ugh, your kidding right? When my car was in the shop for two weeks after my accident I got a 2001 V6 Malibu as my rental car.

The thing sucked. No power. I had to floor it every time just to get normal acceleration. There were several instances on the highway when I couldn't pass trucks and other slower traffic, becuase it took so long to accelerate over 70mph (unless I just don't know how to drive an automatic, but I just florred it!).

I would guess the Malibu is like a mid to upper 17 second car. I never could get a squeak out of the tires off the line. I tried all I could.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:44 AM

Re: Re: Max vs. sunfire?

Originally posted by yourmove
I have never went up against a malibu or any U.S. v6. nor was intimadated to do so ,NTBASA. I'm a true blue American, but U.S. cars blow,pretty much all of them.
Now that is a nice generic statment. Have you driven EVERY American car to say that pretty much all of them blow? I doubt it. Please don't make generalizations, they make you look stupid.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:58 AM

There a plenty of good American cars, the Lincoln LS, Cadillac STS,DTS, most of the Chryslers, the Ford F-Series, the Corvette. Don't discount the American brands (of course, almost every car I just said was a V8, but oh well.)
Old 07-24-2001, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
There a plenty of good American cars, the Lincoln LS, Cadillac STS,DTS, most of the Chryslers, the Ford F-Series, the Corvette. Don't discount the American brands (of course, almost every car I just said was a V8, but oh well.)
I owned a '96 Chevy Cavalier LS sedan, with the 2.4L DOHC I4 that is in the Z24. I think it makes 150 hp and 155 lb-ft. That car was surprisingly quick, and the 4-speed automatic tranny was excellent (go GM!). I'm guessing it would do the 1/4 in the vicinity of 17-17.5 seconds. Anybody have real world numbers?
As much as I liked that car, when I shopped around this past year, there weren't many domestics in my price range that really caught my attention. The Dodge Stratus and the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP were really the only ones. Besides those two, the domestic cars in my price range were not attractive to buy. I looked at a Lincoln LS, but it was too expensive and it is an underachiever performance-wise.
Sure, there are some excellent domestic models, many of them being far above the price of a Maxima, but how many domestic cars under $25,000 would you guys actually want to own?
Old 07-24-2001, 09:18 AM

Not many.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmm a Sunfire 5spd with the 2.2 makes about 130hp... n'its a light car and there are mods available for it.. check out www.rksport.com
GM cars are decent... i've never had a problem with any single one and i've driven like every type... and even the base models have great power...
yes try to race a Malibu... blah blah bland shietty GM cars... it'll do a pretty decent job of keeping up with a max
Old 07-24-2001, 01:48 PM

pawn: well you're kinda right, the car is kind of poorly maintained first yr of ownership(lazy parents!), then when I got my hands on it I gave it every maintaince item that was on the manual (well almost all like 95%)its alright now and most of the mod on my sig is a joke I clean the maxima at least once a week, sometimes twice and the interior around once every 2 weeks

lovesick: you ran a VR6 and I ran a 1.8t, I couldn't even gain a inch on that guy in the middle of second my peak 190hp, but I know he has a stick because you can't get 1.8t auto I would probably get smoke if I run a VR6

phatguy: you're wayyy 2 outdated must be long since school, you gotta go to high schools parking lot these days and see what they have(in south richmond hill), BMWs 3 series, type S,A4, C class, ITRs, GS400. all the Maxima gets is friends jumping into my car for lunch or going out because its BIG and it has enough room to carry all their luggage!

niceorange: beware I'm coming to NYC in 2 weeks and probably driving down to FL next summer, I'm just curious to see if all those kills that people post here is true or not, and most of those races happened 7am in the morning in country road with a few stoplights. all the GM races I had was in the afternoon on a wide open straight road with no traffic/people. Maybe I'll run a grand am/malibu once more and I'll probably stop racing for a while.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like Medic said, something is wrong with your car. Not terribly wrong but wrong. What kind of gas are you using? When I went up to 93 octane my performance did improve at highway speeds. Did you do your 60000 mile tune and change your fuel filter? My car has no mods and it hauls. No way you should have lost to the Malibu or the Sunfire.

I remember the thread you posted about the Malibu race and I can wait for one to try to play with the GXE.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Like Medic said, something is wrong with your car. Not terribly wrong but wrong. What kind of gas are you using? When I went up to 93 octane my performance did improve at highway speeds. Did you do your 60000 mile tune and change your fuel filter? My car has no mods and it hauls. No way you should have lost to the Malibu or the Sunfire.

I remember the thread you posted about the Malibu race and I can wait for one to try to play with the GXE.
I'm running 91 octane ever since I have the car, the car only has 33000km don't think I need the 60000m turnup yet.
and oil changed every 3months. Also make sure you play with a automatic 3spd sunfire, you'll smoke him!! top speed is probably like 100mph or less. and when are you suppose to change your air filter? every 30000miles? kms? or?? I "think" my parents changed it last summer when the car had like 20000km
Old 07-24-2001, 03:48 PM
I'm so hood

Heh...you matched just a non-VR6 Jetta, and couldn't pull away from the sunfire?
Man...back when I used to race (feels like longer than a year), I took out a few different non-VR6 trim jettas without much trouble at all in my 91 integra LS (130hp/low 120s ft/lbs, both @ about 5,5), stick. Both from standstill and rolling. And my car runs like, low to mid 7s, somewhere in the 16s.
The sunfire, heh...the GT's dont really even go anywhere, do they? Malibus, quick? I must have stepped into a parallel universe...

STS's are good cars? I thought they were known to be pretty unreliable. A friend had a 99 that he traded in shortly thereafter from disappointment for a 00 T/A convertable.

I'd shop for domestics, but reliability is still a bigger question than it is with imports. Also general interior quality is a lot lower. I almost did consider a Contour SVT in my lastest search, but I couldn't get myself to buy a Ford if I tried.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Don't bother trying to race a VR6 (90% of the time they are 5spds) when you are already behind. You won't be able to pass him if at all for quite a while let alone pull even..if you do it might be somewhere around 180km+. If you caught up to him at all was probably the fact you were drafting him. As for A/C being on really isn't a big factor these days since the compressor usually shuts off at WOT. I don't understand why people try to race other relatively evenly matched cars that are already 2-4 cars ahead of them and also WOT before you. If that happens just leave it alone and let him speed away.

Do your parents know you drive their car hard? Word of advice to you: Don't start street racing especially since you have no driving experience and in mom/dad's car that has over 200HP.

PS Good for the Jetta guy having a young girl in his car...maybe it was his daughter....maybe he is a mack? Your 17 and drive your parents nice cars you should have tons of girls flocking around. (gold diggers start early these days)

I can't believe I am driving my parents mid life crisis cruisers!

Even motortrend said that the maxima is a mid life cruiser! But I will just ignore that because many young people drive Maximas.

I don't know, I don't have a choice because we only have 3 cars.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:37 PM

I can't believe I am driving my parents mid life crisis cruisers!

Even motortrend said that the maxima is a mid life cruiser! But I will just ignore that because many young people drive Maximas.

I don't know, I don't have a choice because we only have 3 cars.
no way, phatguy is wayy 2 old to be called young j/k
Old 07-24-2001, 08:01 PM

no way, phatguy is wayy 2 old to be called young j/k
Hey Costco, why dont you take a picture of yourself and your Max at a Costcowholesale near you!
Old 07-24-2001, 08:50 PM
is invisible

Rental...

Originally posted by ejj5875

Ugh, your kidding right? When my car was in the shop for two weeks after my accident I got a 2001 V6 Malibu as my rental car.

The thing sucked. No power. I had to floor it every time just to get normal acceleration. There were several instances on the highway when I couldn't pass trucks and other slower traffic, becuase it took so long to accelerate over 70mph (unless I just don't know how to drive an automatic, but I just florred it!).

I would guess the Malibu is like a mid to upper 17 second car. I never could get a squeak out of the tires off the line. I tried all I could.
Now try driving an abused rental Maxima...tell me how much it sucks after that.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:17 PM

lovesick:and did I mention that my dad is the CEO for Costco Canada? thats why I can afford my own maxima.

j/k
Old 07-24-2001, 09:28 PM

lovesick:and did I mention that my dad is the CEO for Costco Canada? thats why I can afford my own maxima.

j/k

dont change the subject! Just go take a picture of you and your Max at a costcowarehouse near you!!!
Old 07-25-2001, 08:14 AM

WHat the hell is LSD? Im picturing sheets of acid in your backseat

dont change the subject! Just go take a picture of you and your Max at a costcowarehouse near you!!!
Old 07-25-2001, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by JamesAvery

LSD is limited slip differential....
Old 07-25-2001, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by ru4real

I owned a '96 Chevy Cavalier LS sedan, with the 2.4L DOHC I4 that is in the Z24. I think it makes 150 hp and 155 lb-ft. That car was surprisingly quick, and the 4-speed automatic tranny was excellent (go GM!). I'm guessing it would do the 1/4 in the vicinity of 17-17.5 seconds. Anybody have real world numbers?
As much as I liked that car, when I shopped around this past year, there weren't many domestics in my price range that really caught my attention. The Dodge Stratus and the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP were really the only ones. Besides those two, the domestic cars in my price range were not attractive to buy. I looked at a Lincoln LS, but it was too expensive and it is an underachiever performance-wise.
Sure, there are some excellent domestic models, many of them being far above the price of a Maxima, but how many domestic cars under $25,000 would you guys actually want to own?
I found some performance numbers for the Cavalier LS in a review at Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...0/article.html

2.4L DOHC I4, 4-speed auto
0-60 - 7.9 seconds
1/4 mile - 16.2 secs @ 85 mph

not too shabby for an economy car
the Edmunds article points out that these number are better than the V8-equipped Lincoln LS and the Audi A6 2.8
Old 07-25-2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by JamesAvery
lol
i was wondering when someone was going to bring that up

Quick Reply: why can't I gain more then 1/2 car on a 105hp sunfire 0-90km/h??