General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Silencer cap for Stillen muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 07:53 AM

Does anyone know of a silencer cap that will work with the Stillen stainless steel muffler for 4th-gens?

Old 10-22-2000, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by GregP

Does anyone know of a silencer cap that will work with the Stillen stainless steel muffler for 4th-gens?

i believe u can buy universal silencer. i goes in series with the pipe. $100
Old 10-22-2000, 09:00 AM
The missing moderator

Ok two things...

No I don't think there's anything out there that will work. And secondly, the stillen muffler is loud as hell... and it doesn't gain much power if any. Now if you put a silencer cap on there, you might as well have put a big tip on your stock muffler.

-Shing
Old 10-22-2000, 09:03 AM
Vic

well the stainless steel muffler is a little more

quieter than the older aluminum one... but HKS is still by far the most quiet muffler I had.. ****..I tried them all =P
Vic
Old 10-22-2000, 09:24 AM

yesss

this is what i was thinkin about, ok now is this the same thing as a baffle that the porsches run over there exhaust when they race <at the end> or any other car for that matter, cuz i want something similar that will go over my greddy ... in theory its supposed to add backpressure, if i do do this should it give me the free flow exhaust while at the same time still give me back pressure ??!?!?!?

Old 10-22-2000, 10:06 AM
Keven97SE

All silencer tips work on the principal that flow restriction is good for reducing sound levels. By slapping on that big restrictor, the dBs and some of the harsh tones drop.

But now you've just dropped the efficiency of the straight thru muffler way down to the point where it probably flows the same or worse than a turbo-style muffler.

There's really no substitute for resonance chambers. Any straight thru will be loudish, and those silencer tips defeat the purpose.

Stick with stock. By far the best HP/noise compromise of all the mufflers. Unless your primary intent is noise.

Old 10-22-2000, 10:17 AM

I have a Silencer>>

for my Apexi N-1 . The reason why I got the Apexi was that they came with a silencer. I've tried 2 mufflers before, Aluminum Stillen, Stainless Stillen. Don't get Stillen, they should rename it to drone muffler. They droned and were loud as hell. My Apexi is actually quieter than the stillen in the car even without the silencer. With the silencer in, its hard to tell if you even have an aftermarket muffler. And yes, you do lose a little power with the silencer, I could tell the diff but its not much.
Old 10-22-2000, 12:14 PM

I've had the Stillen muffler

I've had the Stillen muffler so I know it is loud as hell. Mine was the stainless version. I took it off after a few weeks because it was giving me a headache!!!

My problem is, I LOVED the way it looked. Not the same as just putting a tip on the stock muffler. The look and build quality of the Stillen was incredible. It is the drone that sucks.

Old 10-22-2000, 02:29 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I've had the Stillen muffler

I've had the Stillen muffler so I know it is loud as hell. Mine was the stainless version. I took it off after a few weeks because it was giving me a headache!!!

My problem is, I LOVED the way it looked. Not the same as just putting a tip on the stock muffler. The look and build quality of the Stillen was incredible. It is the drone that sucks.

Do you guys who always complain about the "drone" all have automatics? I just put the Stainless Stillen muffler on my car last night and I love it! I have a 5sp, and I notice that the RPM range that I normally drive at ( 2800 - 3500 ) are just as quiet as stock.

I hear the difference on acceleration and a little on idle ( but not much ).

Old 10-22-2000, 04:03 PM

First, let me tell you I was extremely impressed with the look and quality of the Stillen muffler. It will drone between 2200 and 2500 RPM, which is cruise RPM.

You drive between 2800 and 3500 RPM regularly??

Yes, I have an automatic - I do a lot of stop & go driving.
Old 10-22-2000, 05:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I have the SS Stillen muffler on my 2k and it's pretty quiet. The drone range is from 2100-2600 and it's not even that noticible. I wonder if it's just the 4th gens that make the muffler loud...
Old 10-22-2000, 05:32 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Keven,
what ever happened to your RS. did you not like it?

curious...

i still have mine, but i might dump it for the WS catback.. i dunno. or get a custom bpipe made.

Originally posted by Keven97SE
All silencer tips work on the principal that flow restriction is good for reducing sound levels. By slapping on that big restrictor, the dBs and some of the harsh tones drop.

But now you've just dropped the efficiency of the straight thru muffler way down to the point where it probably flows the same or worse than a turbo-style muffler.

There's really no substitute for resonance chambers. Any straight thru will be loudish, and those silencer tips defeat the purpose.

Stick with stock. By far the best HP/noise compromise of all the mufflers. Unless your primary intent is noise.
Old 10-22-2000, 06:34 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

First, let me tell you I was extremely impressed with the look and quality of the Stillen muffler. It will drone between 2200 and 2500 RPM, which is cruise RPM.

You drive between 2800 and 3500 RPM regularly??

Yes, I have an automatic - I do a lot of stop & go driving.
Yeah, I am normally around 3k RPM.

75% of the driving I do is Highway, and my typical speeds are 75 - 85, which is at least 3k RPM in a 5sp ( at least in mine ).

I do hear the drone, but it doesn't really affect me.
Old 10-22-2000, 06:42 PM

i have an arospeed muffler with the silencer. you can get one for 120.00. i have one on my car now. they are great. when i go on long tripsi just put in the silencer.
good luck with it
Patrick
Old 01-23-2001, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by whitymax
i have an arospeed muffler with the silencer. you can get one for 120.00. i have one on my car now. they are great. when i go on long tripsi just put in the silencer.
good luck with it
Patrick
Exactly which Arospeed muffler do you have?
Old 01-23-2001, 07:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've got a Magnaflow 24" straight-through muffler . . .

and yes, it drones a little between 2000 and 2500 rpm. But I also eliminated my resonator and the sound is still not obnoxious.

I do most of my driving on the freeway. At cruising speed (~3000 rpm), my exhaust is all but silent.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:40 AM

loudness...

What's the most quiet exhaust out of the bunch (aftermarket)? HKS, A'Pexi, etc.?
Old 01-23-2001, 08:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I had the HKS muffler teamed with the Stillen Y-pipe and Courtesy B-pipe. The noise got way too loud for a sedan. It wasn't really loud, but it did have a kind of "hey, look at me" sound. If I had a sports car, I wouldn't think twice about it. I sold my HKS muffler and put the stocker back on. My best 1/4 mile trap speed actually went up by 1.5 mph (96.5mph vs 95.1mph) on a HOTTER DAY!!!

I would have never thought I would be trying to make my car quieter, but after 2 years of ownership, I've removed my HKS muffler, wrapped my Y-pipe, and reinstalled a modified version of my stock airbox all in the quest to have as much quiet hp/tq as possible. My car feels just as quick and runs much smoother and quieter. I'm going to get a 5th gen muffler next, hopefully the I30 with the turn downs.

Dave
Old 01-23-2001, 08:29 AM
wmorris23

Universal mate..

Old 01-23-2001, 08:30 AM

just y-pipe and b-pipe now...

Originally posted by Dave B
I had the HKS muffler teamed with the Stillen Y-pipe and Courtesy B-pipe. The noise got way too loud for a sedan. It wasn't really loud, but it did have a kind of "hey, look at me" sound. If I had a sports car, I wouldn't think twice about it. I sold my HKS muffler and put the stocker back on. My best 1/4 mile trap speed actually went up by 1.5 mph (96.5mph vs 95.1mph) on a HOTTER DAY!!!

I would have never thought I would be trying to make my car quieter, but after 2 years of ownership, I've removed my HKS muffler, wrapped my Y-pipe, and reinstalled a modified version of my stock airbox all in the quest to have as much quiet hp/tq as possible. My car feels just as quick and runs much smoother and quieter. I'm going to get a 5th gen muffler next, hopefully the I30 with the turn downs.

Dave
Since you have the stock muffler on, how loud is it with just the downpiping? I'm considering the A'PEXi Groupdeal that is going on since it's cat-back. I'm going to run a Cattman SS Y-pipe anyway so I was wondering how the noise factor would be. I prefer a quiet, close to stock noise level.

Old 01-23-2001, 11:46 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

With the Y-pipe wrapped, my car is about 10% louder than stock. Just a light burble throughout the rpm range and very quiet in the cabin. I refer to it has silent "sleeper" power. It's awesome to feel the surge of power and torque in near silence....compared to a riced out Honda's raging fart.

Dave
Old 01-23-2001, 06:08 PM

Silencer

Ok, so can we get silencers or not? I already have my mufler and it would be ncie to have a silencer in the trunk or somthing...