General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can someone give me advise on coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 09:04 AM

Due to the price of coilovers, my ignorance has been leading me away from them. I have the Tokiko/Eibock setup now. What do I gain with coilovers? How do they work,How easy can they be adjusted,and how much adjustment is there? One last Q, what is a good price to pay.Thanks for any info..
Old 10-22-2000, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It depends on what you want. Do you want a complete coilover system like cattman's, or do you just want the adjustable height like ground-control's? The difference is that the cattman's have adjustable height, adjustable camber, and adjustable dampening. The ground-control's only have adjustable height. The GC's are adjustable from stock down to 3"s. I'm not sure about the Cattman's, but a think they will go lower. IMHO, stick with your setup now.
Old 10-22-2000, 05:56 PM

coilover let u lower yur max so low u wont have tire gap, but u will defintly need good aftermarket struts or u be bouncin like a mexican low rider trust me. springs and shocks give u better handling and little drop without having bad effect on camber.
Old 10-23-2000, 08:26 AM

It's basically a spring and strut mounted together as one unit... What you gain depends on what you buy. Cattman's coilovers give you things you can't buy elsewhere, KYB AGX struts and Carrera springs. The AGX's are externally adjustable for compression and rebound. The whole setup retails for $1500 including adjustable camber plates. Ground Control coilovers are $400, but that is just the spring and coilover assembly. You'd have to find some shocks, and about the only thing available on the market that would work well with them are the Koni Sport shocks which require a bit of custom work to fit (not difficult), but are only one way adjustable (and from what's in the 4th gen forum, not externally adjustable on the rears). With the AGX's in Cattman's coilovers you can adjust them all around without removing the wheels (though the rear takes jacking the car up and a bit of contortion work to get at the ****).

For a street setup, the GC setup may be good although I think it's overkill. Cattman's setup is more race oriented. Either coilover will drop the car from stock height to probably about 4" although you would not want to drive it that low. Personally, for street use I'd say keep your Eibach's and just buy some Koni Sport shocks to go with them. If you wanted to start racing your car, then I'd say get the Cattman coilovers. If you want to slam it to the ground, then I'd say get the GC coilovers.