General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What exhaust mods can u do w/o voiding the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 06:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I see custommaxima has a deal on Random Technology cats.
a) what other mods should you do with a new cat
b) how far can you go without voiding the original mfg warranty?
Old 07-30-2001, 06:29 PM
Administrator

My son.. any mod you do that the Dealership sees fit to blame the problem on you will void you warranty..

even a new muffler.. some of them are just wierd like that..

however my dealership in CT.. who gives me awesome deals on parts (don't PM me for deals..) they work on my car and my warranty is in tact..

i have no CATS on my car whatsoever.. so it depends on your dealership

the way i did it? get buddy budy with your parts and sales manager.. don't talk to them when your car is broken.. just past by the dealership every now and then and share knowledge and chit chat... brown nose.. sooner or later they are yoru buds
Old 07-30-2001, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

get buddy budy with your parts and sales manager.. don't talk to them when your car is broken.. just past by the dealership every now and then and share knowledge and chit chat... brown nose.. sooner or later they are yoru buds
Roger that, SprintMax. I couldn't have said it better myself. FYI, I take my Service Writer to lunch about once a month and I don't get any hassle when I take my car to my dealer for service.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:57 AM

My son.. any mod you do that the Dealership sees fit to blame the problem on you will void you warranty..

however my dealership in CT.. who gives me awesome deals on parts (don't PM me for deals..) they work on my car and my warranty is in tact..

Where in CT are you?
I'm just over the border in NY, and bought my Max in CT.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:13 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

That is so wrong. For the warranty to be legally void, the manufacturer must prove that the modification in question directly contributed to the problem in question. That's federal law. Search the internet for the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, you'll find all the info there.

Dealers will try to tell you different and deny you work, but you dont have to take it.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

That is so wrong. For the warranty to be legally void, the manufacturer must prove that the modification in question directly contributed to the problem in question. That's federal law. Search the internet for the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, you'll find all the info there.

Dealers will try to tell you different and deny you work, but you dont have to take it.

EXACTLY.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

They have to prove it caused the problem you're trying to get worked on. now, if you put on a power-adding mod and your tranny goes out they can have a pretty good case. if it was the ac condensor or something they might not. but, unfortunately, the only recourse you have if they do deny you work is to go through the courts, which is an expense and a hassle most people can't afford to do...
Old 08-01-2001, 06:00 AM

Cool...thanks, I'll do a search.
I could sure use a Y-pipe and maybe more !