General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

peoples with body kits -> painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 11:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

when u guys got the body kit installed in ur cars, did u supply the paint or did the guy get the right paint for ur cars? and also, i spoke to this guy about getting it installed, and he told me that they used polyurethane filler (something like that) in addition to the sticky tape... any idea what it is and/or how do the pieces hold up? thx
Old 07-31-2001, 11:29 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by mechanic
when u guys got the body kit installed in ur cars, did u supply the paint or did the guy get the right paint for ur cars? and also, i spoke to this guy about getting it installed, and he told me that they used polyurethane filler (something like that) in addition to the sticky tape... any idea what it is and/or how do the pieces hold up? thx
a. You give the bodyshop the color-code to your car (for example: Mine was 'KH3 Superblack') and they will refer to a universal paint catalog and retrieve the exact color, much like what they do at the paint dept. at Home Depot.

b. The bodykit is strictly bolt on. I know some guys use 3M 'sticky' tape which further secures the kit (not necessary though) while others go the extra step (and extra $$$) to have the kit 'molded' onto the body altogether. Most importantly, you just need to make sure they pick the right spots along your fender to drill the holes.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks... that clears things quite a bit
Old 07-31-2001, 11:37 AM

This is the best way to do it: Paint the kit and bumper at the same time use the tape and screws to secure it and have the kit molded to the bumper. This will make it look the best it can.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:05 PM

I gave them my color code (DJ2), but they still used a portable spectrum analyzer to match the paint. My kit is riveted and poly-woly-whatever sealed on the center of the front lip and the whole rear apron. Just about gauranteed to never sag. Holding up great and it's been on there for about four years.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:19 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

a. You give the bodyshop the color-code to your car (for example: Mine was 'KH3 Superblack') and they will refer to a universal paint catalog and retrieve the exact color, much like what they do at the paint dept. at Home Depot.

if they did that paint will almost EVER match unless you have a brand new car/paint job. they need a machine to color match your paint.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:37 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by DanNY
if they did that paint will almost EVER match unless you have a brand new car/paint job. they need a machine to color match your paint.
Hi Dan- long time no see
My front spoiler and mudflaps' paint matches exactly to the body (except the fact they obviously look 'newer' with the fresh clear coat). Point is, machine and/or catalog reference- to the shop's discretion. Mah bad for simplifying my initial response. Give the shop your Year/Make/Model/Factory Colorcode and they will know what to do with it.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:38 PM

heh

Originally posted by DanNY

I just got my bumpers repainted.... by a nissan dealership. They were fading bad, now they match the rest of the car perfect. Time for a kit
Old 07-31-2001, 02:21 PM
Banned

does anybody know what kind of gun they use to spray the cars with?
if you could use the same kind of paint gun you can get at Home Depot ... you could save alot of money