General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How do I disassemble my dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 01:38 PM

I need to get my stereo out to redo some wiring. I've taken it out before, but I totally forgot where the clips are and can't get it off now. I can get the lower part out, but the part around the actual stereo and AC vents doesn't seem to want to come out. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2000, 08:47 AM

AC vents on the 4th Gen pop off. Just grab a hold of em and yank streight. 2 screws on the top for radio and a small screw behind the ashtray that comes out and pop the trim piece around the gear shifter. if its a stick rotate it, if auto it should just pop out. and there are 2 screws behind the bottem part of the center console. take the top 2 and bottom 2 screws off and the center part of the radio just comes right out.
Old 02-15-2001, 06:42 AM

I appreciate it if someone can give me a hint how to put the A/C vent back into the console.

I took the A/C vent out and found the lower side of it has two inserts at the back that are supposed to go into the two slots on top of the manual A/C control unit. However the two inserts are not straight towards the two slots, instead the inserts bend upward. I guess the design of the insert allows the A/C vent unit grabs tightly once it is asembled.

But once it is out, how do I put it back in? Seems to me it is impossible. Either top or bottom goes in first will not do it. And during pushing A/C vent in, I don't have access to the inserts to bend them down so that they can lock into place.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2001, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You might have bent them when you pulled the a/c out. Cause the couple of times I took apart the center console, the a/c vent popped right back in.

Originally posted by jiaxima96
I appreciate it if someone can give me a hint how to put the A/C vent back into the console.

I took the A/C vent out and found the lower side of it has two inserts at the back that are supposed to go into the two slots on top of the manual A/C control unit. However the two inserts are not straight towards the two slots, instead the inserts bend upward. I guess the design of the insert allows the A/C vent unit grabs tightly once it is asembled.

But once it is out, how do I put it back in? Seems to me it is impossible. Either top or bottom goes in first will not do it. And during pushing A/C vent in, I don't have access to the inserts to bend them down so that they can lock into place.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2001, 05:58 AM

Thanks clee130. Yes the two inserts were bent upwards. I gently bent them back, and then the A/C vent went back in place perfectly.
Old 02-16-2001, 08:32 AM

Go Here...

http://www.installdoctor.com

Choose "Do-It-Yourself" install and then the maxima. You will need Adobe Acrobat. This is by far the best dash removal information for our car.