General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Guess what i just got? Headers! Pics and info

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 03:20 PM

am i..

dreaming?!? lol. *pinch* nope *ouch*!! lmao. i need one of those now. lol. i really want to see what power it will give you too. looks really sweet man. one small step for man, one big leap for maxima kind. lol.good job. peace Brian
Old 08-02-2001, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Bends on Ypipe

Originally posted by MikeO
I noticed from the pics that on the y-pipe the bends apprear to be crimp bend not mandrel. But hard to tell from pics. It might be better to keep the Stillen or Cattman y-pipe
They are 110% mandrel bent, in no way shape or form are they crimped.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:09 PM
Administrator

from the looks of it.. it looks like you will need another pipe after the flex section.. right?
Old 08-02-2001, 08:13 PM
Administrator

it looks to me like you are going to need an additional pipe after the flex section.. or did you not take pics of those?
Old 08-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

2 hours to dyno a car, what kind of slow a$$ dyno place is this, how many runs you wanna get, 100!?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:43 PM

2hrs .. theyre gonna bill you a full hour the first (before headers) time..

2nd hour is when you go back..
theyre not gonna bill you .2hrs ...
Old 08-02-2001, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
it looks to me like you are going to need an additional pipe after the flex section.. or did you not take pics of those?
No, no, it's all there, it's just an illusion on your part becuase the headers also contain the area the precats were on the oem setup. I just reasembled them in my room and it has all the piping needed.

Dmb, I ment 2 hours all together, 1 hour of testing tomarrow{before the headers} and 1 hour next week{with the headers}.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by emax95

Dmb, I ment 2 hours all together, 1 hour of testing tomarrow{before the headers} and 1 hour next week{with the headers}.
ya true, so they only bill in one hour increments?? that's bull. Where is the dyno, maybe we could split an hour, IF my car is ready for dyno. 30 minutes is enough for some pulls. just a thought IF my car is ready.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

ya true, so they only bill in one hour increments?? that's bull. Where is the dyno, maybe we could split an hour, IF my car is ready for dyno. 30 minutes is enough for some pulls. just a thought IF my car is ready.
The dyno is in Danielson CT, at thew Danielson Ford dealership. He said it takes him a 1/2 hour to setup and then I get 3 runs. I am going in at 4:30 today.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:55 AM

The dyno is in Danielson CT, at thew Danielson Ford dealership. He said it takes him a 1/2 hour to setup and then I get 3 runs. I am going in at 4:30 today.

Thanks allot Ethan, your efforts are appreciated. Dyno info for this is invaluable!
Old 08-03-2001, 09:37 AM

.org dyno log

Their should really be some kind of .org dyno log. I think I asked Jamie about something like this a while ago, but I didn't get a responce.

It might work something like a list of mods on car in comparrison to HP/TQ ratings, accompanied by a dyno gif. This could be an interactive search based on component. Search for all dyno's with Y-pipe. Out comes a list of all Y-pipe dyno's, telling brand name and other mods along with car year, (maybe even humidity, bar pressure and temp for the day, blah, blah.

I know this isn't worked out. I just thought about it as I commented. Anybody else got any ideas?
Old 08-03-2001, 10:05 AM

Let us know what you pull!
Old 08-03-2001, 11:29 AM

dam .. $120 an hour to dyno ..
my cousins supra club goes to a place that charges $80 an hour and they even open on sunday just for them...

it's prolly too far from your house anyway ..

good luck E

Ant
Old 08-03-2001, 11:39 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ant95se
dam .. $120 an hour to dyno ..
my cousins supra club goes to a place that charges $80 an hour and they even open on sunday just for them...

it's prolly too far from your house anyway ..

good luck E

Ant
Yeah, but you gotta figure that your typical Supra driver does a lot more dyno's than a Maxima driver. I'm sure that guy is making a ton of money off their club!
Old 08-03-2001, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Yeah, but you gotta figure that your typical Supra driver does a lot more dyno's than a Maxima driver. I'm sure that guy is making a ton of money off their club!
true, but still that's awful, i got mine done for 50 bucks at Maxus, 3 pulls.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:17 PM

true, but still that's awful, i got mine done for 50 bucks at Maxus, 3 pulls.
They def were NOT the brightest guys on teh block either.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Synki

They def were NOT the brightest guys on teh block either.
which one, curly or moe?
Old 08-03-2001, 01:48 PM

I can't believe I'M saying this, but could you keep the spam down?
Old 08-03-2001, 02:18 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by medicsonic
Don't worry.....the Spam are on the prowl.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:36 PM

Whats up guys, I just recieved my headers VIA fedex international! They look awesome and very well built. They came complete with all the gaskets and hardware plus a very informative installation enstruction print out. I even got a cool looking sticker . I will take pics in a few minutes, I have to run out to the store and get some AA bateries and then I will post the pics.
Jeez dude. You had me going there for a minute. I thought you were going to post pictures of you getting a header, not a friggin exhaust pipe
Old 08-03-2001, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
i'm sorry, but you say those guys at the dyno, even though they did your car perfectly.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:27 PM

i'm sorry, but you say those guys at the dyno, even though they did your car perfectly.
Okay, this post confuses me greatly. On an unrelated topical note: I can't wait to see these headers perform. I'll probably get them right after I do my suspension if they turn out to be worth it because after that I'd want to supercharge, and that's where the biggest gains would probably be found.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by SithMax

Okay, this post confuses me greatly. On an unrelated topical note: I can't wait to see these headers perform. I'll probably get them right after I do my suspension if they turn out to be worth it because after that I'd want to supercharge, and that's where the biggest gains would probably be found.
i meant to say you SAW the guys at the dyno and i was just bustin medicsonic because his car only put down 139hp so we HOPE they are just dumb.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ethan-

When I was installing my Pacesetter shifter a few nights ago, I looked up under the car and checked out the rear manifold bank. Even with the engine cradle and front/rear engine mounts removed, there is no way you have access to all the nuts on the exhaust manifold. There is also no way of taking the manifold heatshield off either from underneath. I seriously believe you will have to remove the intake manifold to get to all the nuts and heatshield. Maybe there is something different about the engine compartment in the Eurpoean Cefiros. I remember GuidoSST telling me that the Cefiros have a different firewall that is pushed back a little farther to make room for the VQ30DET (turbo). The space between the manifold and firewall on the US Maxima is about nill. Even with a wild set of sockets and swivels, you don't have the room to work. You should really get underneath your car to see what I'm talking about. You might want to get in touch with Don since he's already removed the front and rear manifolds.

Dave
Old 08-04-2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Ethan-

When I was installing my Pacesetter shifter a few nights ago, I looked up under the car and checked out the rear manifold bank. Even with the engine cradle and front/rear engine mounts removed, there is no way you have access to all the nuts on the exhaust manifold. There is also no way of taking the manifold heatshield off either from underneath. I seriously believe you will have to remove the intake manifold to get to all the nuts and heatshield. Maybe there is something different about the engine compartment in the Eurpoean Cefiros. I remember GuidoSST telling me that the Cefiros have a different firewall that is pushed back a little farther to make room for the VQ30DET (turbo). The space between the manifold and firewall on the US Maxima is about nill. Even with a wild set of sockets and swivels, you don't have the room to work. You should really get underneath your car to see what I'm talking about. You might want to get in touch with Don since he's already removed the front and rear manifolds.

Dave
If I remember correctly, that's what Don said too. You have to take the intake manifold off to get to the nuts.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Ethan-

Dave
Thanks for the heads up Dave, I appreciate it. Like I said before though, I am having my mechanic install these. From what I have read it seems you have to move the AC condensor out of the way to get to one of the bolts on the front extractor. I also read that you have to remove the throttle body to get to the EGR and/or some bolts. My mechanic seems to know exactly what to do so I am not going to worry about it.

Tuesday..
Old 08-04-2001, 07:00 PM

My mechanic seems to know exactly what to do so I am not going to worry about it.
Cool!

Because the is is will be a biatch to do. I pondered it today when I was under my car doing the motor swap, an its tight on the back side for sure!
Old 08-04-2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic about DMBmaxima
See my sig pic: this is maxus all over again :-)
Old 08-04-2001, 10:15 PM

i don't know how he's gonna change it without lifting the engine but more power to him, how much is he gonna charge you. if they fit they are on my list and i need someone to put them on for me.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:22 PM

i don't know how he's gonna change it without lifting the engine but more power to him, how much is he gonna charge you. if they fit they are on my list and i need someone to put them on for me.
I have never heard that you have to lift the engine? Worse case scenerio is the intake manifold will have to come off. I think I am going to take my Y-Pipe and front header off tomarrow to make the job a little easier for my mechainic. There is a slim chance I might just go ahead and do the whole job myself, but that is unlikely.

I was bored so I just removed the front heat shield . To bad the folks are sleaping or other wise I whould be getting mid evil on the car right now, lol.
BTW the front header looks pretty easy to take off.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:29 PM

I have never heard that you have to lift the engine? Worse case scenerio is the intake manifold will have to come off. I think I am going to take my Y-Pipe and front header off tomarrow to make the job a little easier for my mechainic. There is a slim chance I might just go ahead and do the whole job myself, but that is unlikely.

I was bored so I just removed the front heat shield . To bad the folks are sleaping or other wise I whould be getting mid evil on the car right now, lol.

have fun, if you dont mind me asking, how much is he gonna charge you and how are you gonna get the car there in that condition, tow it?
Old 08-04-2001, 10:32 PM

have fun, if you dont mind me asking, how much is he gonna charge you and how are you gonna get the car there in that condition, tow it?
I got a hook up with my mechanic. The guy always gives me killer deal, Like $25-30 a hour. I figure the install will land in the $200 range.

As for towing the car there? Why do you say that? If I take my Y-Pipe off and front header and then put on my PPC front header, I don't see a problem with me driving the car. The only thing missing will be the Y-Pipe.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:28 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, I think the front manifold will easily come out even without taking out the radiator. Just pull out the fan shroud if anything.

Dave
Old 08-05-2001, 07:03 AM

I got a hook up with my mechanic. The guy always gives me killer deal, Like $25-30 a hour. I figure the install will land in the $200 range.

As for towing the car there? Why do you say that? If I take my Y-Pipe off and front header and then put on my PPC front header, I don't see a problem with me driving the car. The only thing missing will be the Y-Pipe.
oh ok, your gonna out the new front header on. still it's gonna be weird driving like that but have fun. 200 bucks is still a good chunk esp at the good price. I think this is what is gonna stop most people from doing this, another 300 bucks to get it put in, not everyone is gonna even want to do the front part of the job either.