General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

O/T Just got a Tonsillectomy and boy does it suck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 01:13 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

On Monday i had both my tonsils and part of my adniods removed and let me tell you this past few days has been hell, the pain is pretty bad and the medicine makes you even sicker, its nearly impossible to eat or drink and i hope this will be over soon!!! anyone else have this done?
Old 08-01-2001, 01:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxse91
On Monday i had both my tonsils and part of my adniods removed and let me tell you this past few days has been hell, the pain is pretty bad and the medicine makes you even sicker, its nearly impossible to eat or drink and i hope this will be over soon!!! anyone else have this done?
I came from a family of doctors and can tell you that tonsillectomy is not a recommended procedure anymore these days. Tonsils are part of your immune system that protects and helps your body to get rid of viruses and infections.
Adenoids on the other hand are pretty useless. I had them removed more than 10 years ago

Want a really delicious advice? Eat icecream and lots of it Cold will make your pain and swelling go away.
mmmmmmm icecream
Old 08-01-2001, 01:25 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by AndyXXL

I came from a family of doctors and can tell you that tonsillectomy is not a recommended procedure anymore these days. Tonsils are part of your immune system that protect and helps your body to get rid of viruses and infections.
Adenoids on the other hand are pretty useless. I had them removed more than 10 years ago

Want a really delicious advice? Eat icecream and lots of it Cold will make your pain and swelling go away.
mmmmmmm icecream
well my tonsils were so big that they were obstructing airway so they had to be removed, plus it was getting infected, im on my 3rd day, is relief anywhere in sight!!??
Old 08-01-2001, 01:41 PM

well my tonsils were so big that they were obstructing airway so they had to be removed, plus it was getting infected, im on my 3rd day, is relief anywhere in sight!!??
Well, it is important that you begin taking fluids as soon as possible. The sooner you are able to drink fluids, the sooner your throat soreness will go away, and I wasn't kidding about icecream. Did you stay at the hospital at all, or they discharged you the same day? The usual hospital stay is one to two days because bleeding is the most common complication but it usually occurs within the first 24 hours after the surgery, so I guess you don't have to worry about that anymore.
I think, but don't quote me on this, a full recovery period is about 8-10 days. You may feel some pain in the ears for several days after surgery. Just take some Tylenol.
Good luck
Old 08-01-2001, 01:45 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Well, it is important that you begin taking fluids as soon as possible. The sooner you are able to drink fluids, the sooner your throat soreness will go away, and I wasn't kidding about icecream. Did you stay at the hospital at all, or they discharged you the same day? The usual hospital stay is one to two days because bleeding is the most common complication but it usually occurs within the first 24 hours after the surgery, so I guess you don't have to worry about that anymore.
I think, but don't quote me on this, a full recovery period is about 8-10 days. You may feel some pain in the ears for several days after surgery. Just take some Tylenol.
Good luck
well not to get nasty but the ice cream creates alot of thick mucus that i dont liek to deal with , ive been drinkgin pleanty of ice water and i got it done at a local surgery place, i was in at 6 am and out by 10 am no bleeding but for some reason it hurts alot more today then it did yesterday which makes no sense to me, thanx for the advice andy, i guess only time will tell
Old 08-01-2001, 08:41 PM

The pain should be worse on the 2nd or third day because of the edema. The sore throat will be worst in the first week with some discomfort up to a month after surgery. Tonsillectomy is not routine for infections but it is routine in children and young adults with obstructive breathing while sleeping (sleep apnea). Adenoids are usually very small in adults. Usually adults will also have part of the soft palate trimmed (uvula) if there is airway obstruction. The problem is that the surgery is often not effective in completely removing the obstruction. You probably have a high arched palate (roof of mouth), your wisdom teeth did not have room or were impacted and finally might need braces if you did not have them already. These are typical findings in young people with a history of large tonsills. Try other soft food. The pain can be so bad that it is not unusual for people to lose weight after the procedure because they avoid eating. Just think of all the good stuff you can eat next month and get some narcotics from your MD. Your misery will pass. If you are snoring after you are healed you still have residual obstruction.
MD
Old 08-01-2001, 11:03 PM

i had this done when i was 11 years old. the pain went away in about 4-5 days. i usually just drank/ate juice slushies. i would pour some juice in a cup and stick it in the freezer and about an hour later, ready to eat and numb my throat. my freezer was stocked up with little cups like this and lots of fruit popsicles. thats all i remember, i dont remember having to take medicine though. good luck, hope you feel better soon!
Old 08-01-2001, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey ... I had this done about 4 months ago ... I feel your pain dude!

The pain will subside after about 3 or 4 days ... so u should b getting over the worst of it ... just don't try 2 eat n e thing 2 heavy or big ... I did b/c there was just so much steak in our house

just try & sleep it off ... hope u feel better soon!