General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stillen Y-pipe install-first impressions-99 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 08:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

Got my Y-pipe installed yesterday from Stillen. Impressions:
1)Wow, what an amazing build quality. People at the muffler shop were gawking at the Y-pipe, and so was I. Very impressive.
2)Install-only took them about half an hour,biggest pain was the back piece (bolts are all the way up in the engine bay, not alot of place to move around).
3)Sound-OMG, this thing is a beast. When idling, it is very deep, and has a certain tone I cannot describe correctly, only to say that people wonder what the hell is on your car. THE LOUDNESS INSIDE THE CAR HAS BEEN RAISED SIGNIFICANTLLY, for me, in a good way, however, if you like your car quiet, don't do this mod.
4)Driving-significant improvement in the mid to upper rpm range, and higher speeds (e.g. if going 45, car gets to 80 a lot quicker)...Very deep tone, however when keeping RPMs constant (2000-3000), it gives off a nice cruise tone, without being too upsetting.
Overall, I think this is one of the mods that has made me happier than others. I would say on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 9.
Alex
Old 08-04-2001, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Max8MyCash
Got my Y-pipe installed yesterday from Stillen. Impressions:
1)Wow, what an amazing build quality. People at the muffler shop were gawking at the Y-pipe, and so was I. Very impressive.
2)Install-only took them about half an hour,biggest pain was the back piece (bolts are all the way up in the engine bay, not alot of place to move around).
3)Sound-OMG, this thing is a beast. When idling, it is very deep, and has a certain tone I cannot describe correctly, only to say that people wonder what the hell is on your car. THE LOUDNESS INSIDE THE CAR HAS BEEN RAISED SIGNIFICANTLLY, for me, in a good way, however, if you like your car quiet, don't do this mod.
4)Driving-significant improvement in the mid to upper rpm range, and higher speeds (e.g. if going 45, car gets to 80 a lot quicker)...Very deep tone, however when keeping RPMs constant (2000-3000), it gives off a nice cruise tone, without being too upsetting.
Overall, I think this is one of the mods that has made me happier than others. I would say on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 9.
Alex
I installed a Cattman Y-pipe recently and my impressions mirror yours. The only trouble I ran into initially was my exhaust was too loud with my aftermarket muffler. My first step was to install a resonator. That helped some, but I was still getting more sound than I wanted. Finally, I removed my aftermarket muffler and went back to the stock muffler. That did the trick.

The exhaust still sounds deep and aggressive, particularly under a load. But at cruising speeds it's practically silent . . . just the way I like it.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd also give it a 9.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:28 AM

Ya know

It was worth the money, after all said and done...
Alex
Old 08-04-2001, 11:43 AM
Master Will

yeah................

my comments exactly when I had My STILLEN Y-PIPE installed last week....well worth it...
Old 08-04-2001, 12:01 PM

I have the Stillen y on my 99. The only thing i didnt like was the fact that i couldnt use the front piece that goes to the front exhaust manifold. My Stillen was a 2 piece. Anyways the install took me hour adn change. Kind of a pain when doing it under jackstands by yourself. Anyways, the power is there. I feel it all over the rpm band. When the A/C is on, feels like its not even on. Throttle is more responsive too. It makes a funny noise but you cant win them all. It has helped in my q-mile times too.
Old 08-04-2001, 12:04 PM

Yup

Noise is there too, but hey, like Synki said, "can't win them all"

Still loving it...
Old 08-04-2001, 12:51 PM

Install cost

Hey you guys who had your y-pipes installed at a shop, how much did it cost you?

I'm really curious about the final cost, and I'm smart enough to know I'm not the right person to try and put one on myself.... no tools, apartment, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:31 PM

Do it yourself!!

Come on man, find another maxima lover in your area and hook up with him and see if he has some tools/garage u can use for an afternoon, then buy him some dinner or something!!

Its much more satisfying as D.I.Yer mod!

my 20seconds of thought =D
Old 08-04-2001, 05:16 PM
CTMax

Re: Do it yourself!!

I got started on my Y but was deterred by a bit of rust on the stock Y so I took it in and had them do it (they needed some heat), it took 45 minutes and about $75. Sounds great when you get the Hi Flow Intake, Y-pipe, and Exhaust on the car, each one makes its noise in different levels through out the RPM range.