General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Oil in the resonator

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 11:40 PM

This weekend I went to take of the triangle shaped resonator box that comes of the box right after the MAF, and there was a little bit of motor oil inside. I know that the crankcase breather hose feeds into there, but is that oil normal? If not, what would cause it, and how concerned should I be about it? I think I will try and clean it out. I want to remove the whole thing and cap it off.
Old 10-23-2000, 06:48 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by brandonj
This weekend I went to take of the triangle shaped resonator box that comes of the box right after the MAF, and there was a little bit of motor oil inside. I know that the crankcase breather hose feeds into there, but is that oil normal? If not, what would cause it, and how concerned should I be about it? I think I will try and clean it out. I want to remove the whole thing and cap it off.
DON"T cap off your crankcase breather... that's a BAD thing. Leave it in... that's the way it's supposed to be.

-Shing
Old 10-23-2000, 09:36 AM

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't want to cap off the breather. The breather attaches to the box connected to the MAF, and then connected to that box is the triangle-shaped resonator chamber. I want to take off that chamber, and cap off the hole.
Old 10-23-2000, 11:44 AM
Keven97SE

What you're talking about doing is having a valve cover breather that's not connected back to the incoming air stream, correct? Well, if you were going to do that, you'd need to add a breather filter ("mini" K&N-type) for the valve cover breather. You don't want that line open freely to dirt/etc...will get dirt into the engine otherwise.

But I wouldn't even bother. Leave the connection to the resonator chamber. A little oil won't hurt a thing. Hell, you would be appalled if you pulled off your intake manifold...the inside will be coated with a thin layer of oily gunk...so that little bit inside the intake resonator won't hurt anything. It's normal.

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't want to cap off the breather. The breather attaches to the box connected to the MAF, and then connected to that box is the triangle-shaped resonator chamber. I want to take off that chamber, and cap off the hole.

Old 10-23-2000, 11:55 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have a K&N style breather filter->

It's probably not emission legal but that's besides the point. It will probably help with the oily gunk, but there's also the PCV valve that will emit oily gunk back to the intake too. Can we actually put a breather filter and get ride of the PCV valve all together?

Tony