General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Headers are on! Pics,info and first impressions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whats up guys, I picked the old max up at noon today and have been blasting around town for a few hours . The install went very smooth and every thing fit very nicely except for the fact the headers studs had to be trimmed a little bit. The job took my mechanic 6.5 hours to do. He said he just removed the radiator, front engine mount and the center crossmember, he then tilted the engine up and was able to get at everything pretty easaly. There was no need to move the AC condencer or intake manifold.

My first impressions: The car pulls quite a bit harder after 4K RPM'S all the way up to redline! From the but dyno it feels a bit more powerfull then when I use to have a Y-Pipe. The pipe has a loud BZZZZZZZ Sound to it because of a not so good flex section, the car kind of sounds like a sport bike now . Some header wrap should help the buzz sound out.

I will most likely have the car dynoed again tomarrow but if it is extremely hot out again I don't think my dyno guy will want to do it. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a nice 70 degree day tomarrow.

Heres one pic of the front header on the car. Please note that this header is a very shiny/reflective piece so it took on the color of the car in the picture{almost black}.

Feel free to ask any question or comments.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:05 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by emax95
Whats up guys, I picked the old max up at noon today and have been blasting around town for a few hours . The install went very smooth and every thing fit very nicely except for the fact the headers studs had to be trimmed a little bit. The job took my mechanic 6.5 hours to do. He said he just removed the radiator, front engine mount and the center crossmember, he then tilted the engine up and was able to get at everything pretty easaly. There was no need to move the AC condencer or intake manifold.

My first impressions: The car pulls quite a bit harder after 4K RPM'S all the way up to redline! From the but dyno it feels a bit more powerfull then when I use to have a Y-Pipe. The pipe has a loud BZZZZZZZ Sound to it because of a not so good flex section, the car kind of sounds like a sport bike now . Some header wrap should help the buzz sound out.

I will most likely have the car dynoed again tomarrow but if it is extremely hot out again I don't think my dyno guy will want to do it. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a nice 70 degree day tomarrow.

Heres one pic of the front header on the car. Please note that this header is a very shiny/reflective piece so it took on the color of the car in the picture{almost black}.

sounds good.....

let us know ....
Old 08-08-2001, 02:08 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

hmmm...this could be interesting. can't wait to see the dyno
Old 08-08-2001, 02:12 PM

Dude that looks awesome!! Can't wait to see the dyno plots...good luck with it!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:19 PM
Got Bent?

looks good man can't wait for the dyno results....
Old 08-08-2001, 02:25 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Dyno! Dyno! Dyno! Looks good!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:45 PM

Can't wait to here it.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:04 PM

Looks good Ethan, cant wait for the dyno!

What is the deal with you I30? Is there a reason why you decided to stop moddin that and go back to your max? Just asking.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:06 PM

nice!
Old 08-08-2001, 03:13 PM

true

it definetly looks awesome.. keep us posted like you have been.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:14 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

So your saying you wanna try and race me now??!!

but seriously i think its great you went through with it and if your dyno looks good you will go down in tha books, good job
Old 08-08-2001, 03:53 PM

One Word "SWEET"
Old 08-08-2001, 03:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Synki

What is the deal with you I30? Is there a reason why you decided to stop moddin that and go back to your max? Just asking.

Fear, mostly.

jk

Old 08-08-2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Looks good Ethan, cant wait for the dyno!

The I30 is going up for sale as soon as I get my rear brakes in and a rear o2 sensor. The reason I am getting rid of the I30 is complecated really. Basicaly I drop about $30K into the whole thing{car and mods} and then clutches started braking, the mass a airflow sensor ent and I just got fed up with it all! Like people say "if you want to play youve got to pay" and well I got sick of paying. So then the great idea sparked into my head... Why not sell the I30 and put 10Grand in the bank and then have a little fun with the maxima?

Thanks for the support guys! It keeps me motiveted . FYI I chirped into 3rd gear today! This is something the max has never done before and even the SC I30 whould barely do. I think my max is almost as quick as my I30 now, it has about 40 less HP but it weighs about 250 LS less so things are getting close. Once I hit{NA} 200FWHP I am going to raise the stakes to 220 FWHP{NA} . My plan is to try to incorparate a 5th gen intake manifold on my max.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:18 AM

You're a monster, Ethan.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:20 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Good job ethan. can't wait to see that dyno plot. i still want them but they are gonna be almost 1000 with shipping, buying them and getting them installed. 6.5 hours of work isn't cheap. DAMN IT.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:07 AM

5th Gen Intake Runners! Yay!

My plan is to try to incorparate a 5th gen intake manifold on my max.
There's a thread on this somewhere. I really want to know if you do this and how it works out! I'd try and tackle it myself but my plans lay else where, I still need a TV Tuner for my LCD screen and desperately need a new suspension along with some other general maintainance stuff...
Old 08-09-2001, 06:37 AM

My plan is to try to incorparate a 5th gen intake manifold on my max.
Rock on Dude! Sound sweet! I know that MardiGrasMax had begun the 5th gen intake/plenum swap on his forth gen, but then he got side tracked by the motor swap with Steve-in-Phily's SC'd, .02 overbored, fog N02 monster. Neadless to say, the intake swap is on a serious hold for him. Shall be call you Danial Boon.... the great pioneering frontierman?
Old 08-09-2001, 06:53 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

good job man keep us posted!
Old 08-09-2001, 08:38 AM

how much??? and who makes it????? and OoOoOO i'ts shiney..
Old 08-09-2001, 09:09 AM

Good Job E.

Nicely done its really shiny!!!, any growling coming from it? Oh, how much gain do you feel is coming from this mod?
Old 08-09-2001, 10:15 AM

Dyno? Dyno?Dyno? Results? come on man I need um
but really when you got it tell us not only the max hp gain but how and where it changes the curve.
thanks for being the ginny pig.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
Dyno? Dyno?Dyno? Results? come on man I need um
but really when you got it tell us not only the max hp gain but how and where it changes the curve.
thanks for being the ginny pig.
I will scan the before and after dynoes, so don't worry.

Frenzy: Your cracking me up over here,"the great Daniele Boon", LOL. My plan for the intake manifold should go through in about a month or so, I am in no rush right now because I need to do a few things first.

It's the hottest damn day this year here, argh! Unless it cools down into the 80's by 4PM I won't be able to dyno until tomarrow.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:47 AM
nc00max

Damn, sounds sweet, except for the weird noise. Let us know how the header wrap thing goes. I can tolerate a little, but not too much of wierd noises under the hood.

Old 08-10-2001, 06:47 AM
doz

I will scan the before and after dynoes, so don't worry.

Frenzy: Your cracking me up over here,"the great Daniele Boon", LOL. My plan for the intake manifold should go through in about a month or so, I am in no rush right now because I need to do a few things first.

It's the hottest damn day this year here, argh! Unless it cools down into the 80's by 4PM I won't be able to dyno until tomarrow.
Well, you probably won't get the dyno done today either... Its HOT. Although if they dyno shop is open Saturday, tomorrow is suppose to be much cooler.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:23 AM

BTW, Ethan, are these stainless headers, I dont remeber if someone said that?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2001, 09:24 AM

headers for a max!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are these headers custom made, or did you go out and purchase these? So what happened to the y pipe?

Well however you did it great job looks great

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\001.jpg[/img]
Old 08-10-2001, 12:21 PM
NeverEnough

Good work and Congrats....

I must say I envy you, though I am obviously happy for you, too. Oh well, soon enough-

Lee

Old 08-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

they are SS from what i've heard and they aren't custom made. they are from a company in NEW ZEALAND.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:52 PM
My 4DSC

Dyno yet?

?